Uji Sencha

Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Kerri Epps

From Lupicia

First flush green tea from Uji, Kyoto has a refined mellow taste.

About Lupicia View company

I really needed something to pick me up today. Lazy Saturday morning, I need to do my taxes and I just can’t seem to get my head together. I was hoping this would help. This tea is so much lighter than I remember it but it could also have been my steeping temp. since I didn’t measure it with a thermometer. I am wishing for a tad bit more sweetness here, today I seem to be getting primarily seaweedy notes.

Kittenna

Haha, my yesterday was spent perusing Steepster, brewing tea, playing games… gotta actually get some work done today! Motivation is difficult to come by sometimes.

Joshua Smith

I know exactly how you feel. I have a test on posthumanism on Monday, and a test on Electrical Engineering on Thursday this week. Needless to say, I’m regretting that I don’t have any Matcha in stock.

TeaBrat

I excel at the art of goofing off… :-)

Kittenna

So do I…….. Another day of doing nothing. This is going to bite me, hard and fast. Uh oh.

Oh my GOD.

TEA IS OVER. EVERYONE GO HOME. THIS HAS WON.

I literally never want to be without this again. This was the other of the Dynamic Duo of teas (the other one being Brioche) that I received for Christmas and fell immediately in love with upon trying. First of all, I can tell it tastes different from other senchas, which is a step for me since Lupicia’s other senchas that I’ve had (Chiran and Kanaya ♥♥♥) tasted pretty much the same. Second of all, this being said, I am not kidding when I say this is the best Japanese green tea I have ever tasted. Yes, I have had Gyokuro. I have also had Teavana’s Gyokuro Genmaicha, which was basically two of my favorite things married to each other, and THIS IS STILL BETTER.

aaaaaaah I have to stop drinking this long enough to review it. Okay.

Starts off delicate and nice like any other sencha, but the astringent kick hits you sooner rather than waiting until the tea hits the back of your mouth. Also, the aftertaste doesn’t taste so much like nori. Instead, something happens between when the smoothness turns vegetal and when the astringency hits, and it’s the most divine, warm, savory, almost marine note that I have EVER tasted. I want to note that this is kind of subtle if you drink this on its own, but if you’re eating—I had this with sushi the first time—that specific salty savory taste will punch you in the face and make the world taste like God for about half a second.

This is the savoriness I wanted from Dokudami Umami that I didn’t get. I think I might die if I run out of this, but at least I know where to get more. Lupicia is, at this point, trying to usurp ZenTea’s place in my heart between White Christmas and this.

It pairs gloriously with homework on a foggy morning, and also everything else.

This is among the absolute best green teas I’ve ever had. Made right, with a one minute steep in 165F water, it is pure fresh first-flush. Everything about it screams fresh, grassy, alive, and the aroma alone is worth the price of admission.

Flavorwise, it’s an especially mellow and smooth green, astringent without being bitter, grassy without being earthy, and unusually umami in the mid- and after-taste, shifting from the grassy freshness into a faintly salty savoriness that doesn’t disrupt the fresh and clean feel one bit.

This is how green tea is supposed to taste, this is green tea in the purest of forms. The blue-rare Kobe steak of green. Just a touch of oxidization on the best leaves, letting the tea speak for itself, not the process… and what a tea it is.

With the proper steep time and temperature, you’ll be able to get a second brew out of this that comes very close to the first, just steep for 15s longer or so.

Love green tea as always, and Japanese sencha rarely disappoints! Love the grassy aroma, savoury taste, and the slightly sweet finish. It’s just lovely!

Sancha Green available from WHITTAD,nice to drink in
The evening or before bed. In this tea I prefer one spoon of
Sugar.

Really wonderful tea! I adore Lupicia. Perfectly light, subtle flavors, and a nice umami. I usually wait five minutes after the water boils to begin steeping this tea, and brew for the full one minute.

A very elegant tea with a refined freshness. Reminiscent of a cool summer wind blowing across a green field. Delicate, the flavor comes to you.