Joyeux Noël

Edit tea info Last updated by Janni

From Lupicia

A black tea made with an image of roasted chestnuts in the streets of Paris. Mild sweetness follows after the subtle bitterness.

About Lupicia View company

Yum! This tea tastes JUST like roasted chestnuts. There is a light bitter nuttiness that is followed by a rich, creamy sweetness…

This is so good! A great tea for those of us who aren’t very good at roasting our own chestnuts!

TeaEqualsBliss

ooooo…ahhhhhhh

Oho. Ohoho. OhohohoHO. YES.

As noted in my last tasting note about this tea, I’d decided i was going to try it with a little milk the next time I brewed myself a cup.

I didn’t end up using milk.

What I did use, instead, was a little cream. Normal heavy cream, nothing special…of which I had only a tiny amount left due to having mixed up a batch of cream scones for breakfast this morning.

Oho. OHOHOHOHO.

That little bit of cream + the 1/2 teaspoon of sugar + this tea steeped for 3 minutes? MAGIC. This has now shot to the top of my list of the most perfect winter drinks EVER. The chestnut flavour is now exceedingly smooth, warm, invigorating, and comforting. It’s like the softest baby alpaca scarf for your throat. You just want to keep petting it and petting it, and it’s so light and delicious and yet so warm and satisfying.

In conclusion, my hat’s truly off to whomever it was on Lupicia’s site who expounded upon the virtues of this particular tea when taken with milk. IMHO, it’s now indispensable…much like my preferred method with Earl Grey. Positively delightful, and if this is a harbinger of how 2010 is going to shake out, I am ALL FOR IT. Roll on 2010 and Joyeux Noël! I’m only sorry I don’t have a lot more of the latter!

takgoti

Should I ever find myself with the chance to try this, I will remember this log.

Janni

It is WONDERFUL. I’m having to pace myself, or else I’ll drink it all and be very sad. XD

Nope. Sorry. I tried, but this is just not for me. I will reserve rating it, as it is so intensly not my thing.
Oh well.

When i opened my tin and smelled this tea for the first time i didnt think it smelled very good at all. but oh my is it tasty. I only brewed mine for a very short amount of time because it went very dark surprisingly quickly. I even re-used the leaves, which i never usually do with black tea and it was still amazing.

I cant really explain the tastes of this tea. It really has an amazing aftertaste though.

next time i might brew it abit stronger and try it with a little milk…

It is an interesting tea because of the chestnut flavour. Too bitter on its own even if I brew for 2.5 mins. With some sugar, it is sweet and slightly bitter. Great aroma.

From the reddit travelling tea box

This one looked promising – a black blend of ctc and leafy bits. Big cubes of something, marigold petals and lumps of golden rock sugar. Taste? Meh. I’ve had many great Lupicia teas, but out of all the Lupicia teas I’ve had, this one is on the bottom. It’s bitter, roasty, acidic with a little bit of sweetness. It does taste like roasted chestnuts, if I ate one whole with the peel on. I think it might work if one adds milk, or maybe coffee drinkers, but blaaah. Sorry Lupicia.

The tea itself smells like vomit and brewing it just intensified that. It is one of the most awful things I’ve ever drank. It’s sweet with an acidic tinge similar to bile and hits you with an almost menthol after taste. I had to soak my steeper afterwards because I could not get the smell/taste out of it. I liken this to the flavor in the back of my throat the day after Christmas when I’ve had a few too many brandy eggnogs.