Golden Honey Dew

Honey Dew, Honeydew, Melon, Sweet
Loose Leaf, Sachet
Caffeine Free
Edit tea info Last updated by jump62359

• “I sent a sachet of this over to *MissB* and *NayLynn* and it seems as though they both drank it today! Dude. I only had about 2 sachets to last me two weeks and really wasn't enough. This is my...” Read full tasting note
    jump62359 592 tasting notes
  • “this is seriously one of the best rooibos teas i've ever had. i thought i was done with rooibos all together. but here is green lupicia rooibos proving me wrong. if you have a chance to try this...” Read full tasting note
    shmiracles 739 tasting notes
  • “Where has this Rooibos tea been my entire tea-drinking life? THIS TEA IS AMAZINGLY GOOD. Maybe I only like green rooibos? I love the fruity melon flavor, the scent, the light mouth feel. Just...” Read full tasting note
    Ellyn 230 tasting notes
  • “I never thought of honeydew melons as being particularly Californian, so I was surprised when I saw "Golden Honey Dew" as one of the exclusive, California-only blends at my local Lupicia store. ...” Read full tasting note
    fashion_piranha 122 tasting notes

From Lupicia

Caffeine-free green rooibos tea is scented with Californian honeydew melon.

About Lupicia View company

Wow. I’ve never been a fan of rooibos, so I was hesitant to try this sample that I’ve had for a while. But then I realized I had only ever tried red rooibos and this one has green rooibos. When I opened up the bag, it smelled like delicious, juicy honeydew with no medicinal rooibos smell. Off to a good start! After steeping it, there was a slight medicinal smell, but that may have been a bit psychological. The taste of the tea is purely juicy honeydew. It reminds me of this Korean popsicle I had as a kid that totally defined my summers. I’m very delightfully surprised with how much I like this one. The one criticism I might have is that it does run on the sweet side, so I have to be in the mood for something sweeter. I bet it would also make a really great cold brew, but sadly, I only have enough sample left to make one hot cuppa later. Perhaps I will pick some up when I get back to California. I’m really tempted.

Given that this is my first Lupicia, first melon and green rooibos tea, I don’t think I can give the best review outside of I like it. I like it a lot. The melon tastes like melon, not artificial flavoring. It is light and refreshing. I look forward to trying it cold.

Opted to do a cold brew on this, and it came out good, but a little mild/weak so it could have stood to steep longer. In the end, I had about half of it cold and then heated the rest but it got rainy and cool outside.

It’s very honeydew melon, and the green rooibos base makes it easier for me to tolerate. I think I will have this one hot next time. I think it is good, but not magical, as some have, but maybe it would have been better refreshing if I’d had it iced when it was actually hot out. Thanks for the sample, Courtney!

Flavors: Melon

From the Teeny Tiny TTB.

The honeydew flavor is strong and very much resembles actual honeydew, but you can tell that it does smell and taste candy-like and artificial, especially when the liquor has barely cooled off after the brewing (tip – wait another few minutes so that the temperature is just above warm). The base tea – green rooibos – is a good a choice since it seems to be a tea that would cooperate with honeydew the best. I couldn’t taste the rooibos, but that seems like the objective considering a fruit like honeydew, which is delicate. I drank this slowly so that when I came to the last few sips the liquor was cool, and it still tasted nice. I bet this one would be very good for cold-brewing.

Boiling 7 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

A short while ago I have converted my sister in law to tea. I slowly introduced her to some of my stash, and after trying some, she felt confident enough to make her first visit to Davidstea and start a collection of her own.

She came to visit me yesterday and it was so much fun to watch her going through all my inventory. It’s always been there for her to look at but she never cared before, so it’s interesting that now, it seems to be the only thing that captures her attention in my house!

I told her to look around and choose whatever she wanted. 30 minutes later (yes, it took a while!) She decided on this one. I had just received my Lupicia order and hadn’t tried it myself so I accompanied her.

She could not get over how good it smelled. Lupicia does melon like no others.

This is a green rooibos, the only type I not only tolerate but actually like a lot. The thing is green rooibos blends are hard to find! I’m so happy that Lupicia offers a few.

This is very effective and uncomplicated. Fresh green rooibos and sweet juicy honey dew. It is packed with flavour and tastes exactly like its fragrance suggests it will.

I have tried three Lupicia melon teas so far and they are all fantastically delicious.

My sister in law was in awe at every sip, it was fun to watch :-)

We tried many more during the evening and I am afraid that because of me, she’s well on her way to becoming a severe tea addict!

Oh well, she told me she completely stopped drinking booze week days since she started drinking tea, so that’s something to be proud of :-)

awesome!!

boychik

I love the story. As long as she is not going to tell you that Teavana’s teas are the best( like my friend did). You know what, my grandmas nurse got hooked on rice puer . Guess who introduced her to it?

Awesome indeed Sil ;-)

Haha, Boychik, I doubt it, she is already broadening her horizons, she placed a Harney & Sons order and is now looking at Lupicia! But she,s still scared of straight tea, lets give her time…
Hilarious that you converted the nurse!!!

boychik

Today she asked me if I’m going to place another order withYS because she is running out of puerh! I swear

TheTeaFairy

Haha! That makes you her “pu-pusher” !

You are hilarious ;)

This is one of the teas that Ost sent me in my surprise birthday package. I got to try this once months ago (thanks to jump62359), and I’m so excited to try it again, since my tastes have changed so much since then.

I (of course) iced it. Juicy and mouthwatering and oh so refreshing. This is such a treat, and one I’m happy to say that I still like! Thanks Ost!

I was in the area after work today and I was like ’I’M GOING TO LUPICIA, THERE IS NO WAY THEY AREN’T OPEN RIGHT NOW, I NEED TO GO!‘. Haha, I’ve had bad luck with getting to the store when they’re open and not super crowded.

I wanted to try this one because jump62359 really really loves it. The sales assistant told me that it’s one of their most popular ones, and is frequently sold out. I smelt it and was kinda iffy. The SA was kind enough to brew this one up for me.

It is honeydew. The flavoring kind of, OK really, overwhelms the rooibos, which can be a good thing depending on who you’re asking. I’m not a fan a rooibos, so that was good for me!

If you’ve ever had the little green melon hard candies you can find at asian supermarkets, THAT is what this tea smells/tastes of. It is really good, I can imagine it’s better iced.

Personally for me though… It was a little too sweet. It was like drinking candy and I was feeling more tea-y today so it didn’t appeal to me. I didn’t take this home with me. It was nice being able to try it before I bought it though. I could have bought it blind, but I’m glad I didn’t. I got the Napa Blanc instead, and OOH does that smell yummy. I’m soo excited to try it.

If anyone ever wants any though, I live in the SF bay area and can ship it to you if Lupicia ever takes it off their website. I assume they’ll always have the SF blends available in this area, provided they’re in stock. Surprisingly they had the Hawaii blends in-store too, but those didn’t shout out to me at first sniff either.

I admit, I wanted to try this due to all of the hype here. This was my first Lupicia tea, first green rooibos, and first melon tea. I went into the cup a bit skeptical that I would become a Golden Honeydewite. Thank you Dustin for the sample!

I was wrong. This was amazing. With every drink I kept thinking, how do they do that?

A few years ago we had some family visit from Denmark, and we bought a huge watermelon and ate it out on the deck. There was no watermelon before or after that compared to this melon. It has been years and we still talk about it. It is the melon that all others must measure up to. You know how you were in college and you partook in certain things and the food you ate was THE BEST FOOD EVER? (Not that I ever did, smirk), that’s the caliber of watermelon.

The watermelon tangent is just to say, if that had been the best honeydew ever, the one that has no match, this is the tea made from that melon. It’s like melon crack.

keychange

Oh my gosh I need to try this yesterday!

TheTeaFairy

I took a leap of faith a few days ago and ordered 100g of it, can’t wait! Reading your review, I don’t think I took a big risk, I’m sure I will love it as well :-)

I loved your story, it reminds me of my aunt, she used to grow small watermelons in the summer. Before serving them, she’d put them in the freezer for a while, cut them in half and we would eat our half with a spoon, sitting in the sun on the grass, watermelon between our legs, the best!

keychange

I love how tea can evoke such strong memories and associations. A way to live things twice.

Marzipan

I keep telling myself no more, I need to work on drinking down what I have. The joke’s on me!

Thanks VariaTEA (188)
So, I’m an idiot. I’m completely exhausted and drank two cups of this tonight and didn’t realize that it was green rooibos. (Uhh… I can haz caffiene?) :P It’s freaking tasty though, and now I can get this AND Melon Oolong because they are actually quite different and good for different times of the day.

ETA: I’m actually REALLY a big idiot because this isn’t the tea I drank. :P Can you believe that? I drank the Ripe Mango Oolong from Kat_Maria and it was delicious and I loved it, and I KNEW that it had big leaves, so why did I think it was a green rooibos?

Anyway… move along… nothing to see here!

Is this one available?

you have to get it IN san Fran i believe… but it’s so damn good.

Cavocorax

Why would they do that to us?

Courtney

Why would they do that to us?! Gasp. I’m planning on visiting LA, not San Fran. Le sigh.

..to give me an excuse to go back to san fran?

Brilliant.

MissB

I think it’s a California-only blend, although I could be wrong. I’m going to grab a whack when I’m there in a few months, and am happy to send some along to anyone else who wants some.

Courtney

YES. Such an awesome enabler.

jump62359

It’s a San Franciscan blend, so you can only get it in their three locations in SF.
I live in SoCal for uni BUT home is in the suburbs around SF so I can easily ask my parents to run into the City and purchase a couple packages of this tea :)

If anyone wants, I’m totally up for sending a wee 4-5g sample of this tea since it is my absolute favourite tea in the entire world :)

Thanks to jump62359 for the sample of this tea. I really enjoyed this tea. I steeped it without sweetener and it was just fine without any. I love the smell as it steeps, very strong honey dew smell. The taste is nice and smooth with a great honey dew flavor. I may have to drive to San Fran just to purchase this tea.

Skysamurai