Darjeeling The First Flush

Edit tea info Last updated by Ricky

• “Huh. My first thought up upon opening this was that the dry leaves smelled chocolatey. Like, really "did I spill Florence somewhere?" chocolate. The liqueur is amber, a light tawny orange, and...” Read full tasting note
    teabird 405 tasting notes
  • “This came as a part of my new years Luck Bag, Happy Bag? Something like that. Anyway, it was a good start to a morning after have no power for 5 hours yesterday! (6 til 11 pm very...” Read full tasting note
    fcmonroe 251 tasting notes
  • “This was not as good as I have expected. I was sure that I didn't oversteep, but the liquor was slightly bitter. It had a roasted flavour which I didn't really like... overall this was quite a...” Read full tasting note
    larukucafe 317 tasting notes
  • “This tea was good! I had it on my way to work this morning! I love how it smelled a bit fruity mixed with some gourmand notes. It was a light colored brew for a black tea but I added sugar to it....” Read full tasting note
    oOTeaOo 1598 tasting notes

From Lupicia

A blend of spring-plucked Darjeeling with refreshing astringency and fruity aroma.

About Lupicia View company

Huh. My first thought up upon opening this was that the dry leaves smelled chocolatey. Like, really “did I spill Florence somewhere?” chocolate. The liqueur is amber, a light tawny orange, and smells… roasted at first, like a dark oolong, then very fruity (citrus, in particular) as the aroma spreads. Sipping, this tastes fruity and like it wants to be bitter – on the tip of my tongue – but doesn’t quite have the astringency to pull it off. Makes me glad I didn’t steep it any longer, or use more leaf. I did use a heaping half tsp of leaf (about 1.7g) for 4oz, which may have been too much, but I was curious to see how this would go through multiple infusions. There’s very little tea flavor to this first infusion, mostly the fruity and astringency. Rather what I imagine a tea made of grapefruit peel would be like :P

Second steep is smoother, but flavor descriptors still elude me. This tea is all sharp edges and shadows when I’m used to something with body, and color. I’ll keep trying, and see how long it lasts. Maybe milk or sugar would help?

Hm. 3rd infusion (~3 minutes) is the best, most harmonious, yet. More of a pale gold color, and still too seems too light to add milk to, but sweet and mild enough not to need sugar. This seems temperamental – even for a Darjeeling – but maybe worth getting to know.

This came as a part of my new years Luck Bag, Happy Bag? Something like that. Anyway, it was a good start to a morning after have no power for 5 hours yesterday! (6 til 11 pm very inconvenient.)

I have tons of more interesting teas to drink, but this was nice. Very down to earth. Very grounding.

Happy Friday!

Ricky

I’m hesitant to try this one. A typical darjeeling?

fcmonroe

I’m honestly not sure. I haven’t had enough darjeelings to know what’s typical. I did enjoy it.

This was not as good as I have expected. I was sure that I didn’t oversteep, but the liquor was slightly bitter. It had a roasted flavour which I didn’t really like… overall this was quite a strong Darjeeling. Hmm I now have to go and look for something more mellow in my cupboard…

This tea was good! I had it on my way to work this morning! I love how it smelled a bit fruity mixed with some gourmand notes. It was a light colored brew for a black tea but I added sugar to it. This was delicious tho I don’t think it was necessary.

Since a got a sample pack from Lupicia for Christmas I have decided to try these teas during the winter holiday. First one out is the Darjeeling, The First Flush.

Since it is about 5g per pack of tea I will stick to the instructions on the accompanied booklet. It says 5g for 300ml for 2-2.5 minutes. My cup can contain about 2.5 dl so I did use about 3.5-4g.

The colour of the tea was amber and orange and the smell reminded me of how long it has been since a have had a cup of good darjeeling. While the taste certainly contained a light yet round flavour like many darjeelings do, I did however first feel that it was a bit thin. I think this is mainly due to me eating an onigiri with tuna and mayonnaise before tasting, as the tea got much better after a while.

Still, since this is a first flush darjeeling, I would have expected a little bit more from it. The tea is in no way bad, but I guess I wanted it to be better. All in all a good tea.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

Shinobi_cha

Frohe Weihnachten! (I’m not sure how to say it in Norwegian)

Shadowleaf

Thanks! (It’s ‘God Jul’ in Norwegian)