Earl Grey

Edit tea info Last updated by Ricky
Boiling 3 min, 15 sec 10 oz / 288 ml

• “You know, I have gotten to the point with my dissertation that I can actually take the time to write tasting notes again. Turns out that once it's written and sent off for comments, there's a lot...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 1918 tasting notes
  • “I just got my order a few days ago from Lupicia, but this tea has been calling my name ever since receiving it. So I finally caved in and decided to try it. Aroma - not surprising - it's Earl...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4323 tasting notes
  • “Glad to have this earl back in my life. The only earl I have ever craved. I could be very happy if this were the only tea in my cupboard. So very happy to have this back in my cupboard. ” Read full tasting note
    Dragonwellluvr 558 tasting notes
  • “Tea of the afternoon...... Something about a good Earl Grey is just so relaxing. I actually have been working on a big project.... I am trying to learn to play the cello in my 40s. Turns out,...” Read full tasting note
    SimplyJenW 972 tasting notes

From Lupicia

Authentic Earl Grey made with Keemun tea. Delicious straight up or with milk.

About Lupicia View company

To me, “Earl Grey” has always meant mediocrity – I thought of it as the boring, bitter, miserable stuff of cheap complimentary teabags. Then, I smelled Lupicia’s take on it…

The aroma hits you like a truck out of the tin, pure fresh bergamot – absolutely love at first smell. Tin sold. When brewed, the bergamot explosion mellows out to allow the smoky smooth keemun base to take the lead. Unlike the terrible greys I have had in the past, the bergamot is fresh, complex, fruity and multilayered, the kind of quality I’ve come to expect from Lupicia. No “someone sprinkled citric acid on some Lipton” here.

I don’t know that I would call myself a fan of Earl Grey just yet, but I am most certainly a fan of Lupicia’s take on it. Fresh, complex, energizing and pure quality.

I like this Earl Grey. Two things to note: the form bought in teabags in definitely the best I’ve tried; they currently hang out in a tiny tin in my travel bag for drinking on trains. The loose form is auditioning for a place in my cupboard as my Earl Grey staple.

Just okay. I like some more depth on my earl grey, but this just has light citrus. Not bad, just not my favorite.

Too much bergamot (typical of Japanese Earl Grey in my experience). Otherwise, not wholly unpleasant.

Thanks, Dinosara!

This is a SOLID earl grey. I wasn’t too sure of it as I was steeping it this morning, because the bergamot does initially smell quite strong.

But then it sat in my thermos for a couple hours, and… MAGIC. It is really good! This is definitely an EG worth picking up in the future (ie: once I have fewer teas) for those days when only an EG will do.

Thank so much for sharing this with me!

(1.5 tsp per 14 oz)

195 °F / 90 °C 3 min, 0 sec 14 OZ / 414 ML

This is my favorite Earl Grey tea I have had so far. You can really taste the citrus without it becoming overwhelming.

So I may have oversteeped because it had a bitterness to it this time. Lazy bum that I am, I was too lazy to go to the kitchen to get sugar so I ate a mini chocolate. It was really, really good with the tea and tamed the bitterness completely. I didnt stir it in, just chewed and sipped the hot tea, which made it melty. Makes me want to try the chocolate earl grey…

So another tea i tried from my friend. So glad i did!
So let see,
The aroma… very Earl Grey no surprise, strong aroma but good and expected. Like all good tea the aroma is stronger than the flavor.
The Taste… Bergamot! Surprise! no just kidding but it’s earl grey. I get citrus, with floral notes and even some earthy notes (very slight). Very enjoyable, well balanced.

Earl Greys are easy to get wrong for me as they seem to be either too weak, too strong or too pungent. This one is well balanced and i would recommend it to anyone!