Orzo - Caramel & Honey

Barley (Roasted), Marigold Flowers
Butter, Cocoa, Earth
Edit tea info Last updated by jump62359
Boiling 4 min, 15 sec 3 g 12 oz / 354 ml

• “Uhhhh, this smells strongly of a delicious, delicious coffee drink that would upset my tummy. O.o Have to say that I was a bit apprehensive to try it, but my apprehension nearly always is...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2221 tasting notes
  • “The only thing that really confuses me about this tea is that there are strawberries in here. Which I can see, but that's as far as it goes. So i have to say, I'm in agreement with everyone who...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4034 tasting notes
  • “brewed 1 tsp in 6oz boiling water for 5 min, then added about 2 oz vanilla almond milk. Mmmm tastes much like coffee to me - roasty, a bit nutty, but also with a hint more sweetness than the...” Read full tasting note
    janefan 2272 tasting notes
  • “1 tablespoon for 375 ml Burnt aroma. Burnt food taste. Mild caramel sweetness. Smooth. The flavour becomes more tolerable as the tisane cools. The lingering aftertaste is a coffee (maybe...” Read full tasting note
    Rarity 415 tasting notes

From Lupicia

Orzo scented and flavored with caramel and honey yields a deep and full-bodied texture and taste with a mild sweetness. Excellent with milk or with any dairy substitute. Caffeine free.

Ingredients: barley, dried strawberry, flavors

About Lupicia View company

Uhhhh, this smells strongly of a delicious, delicious coffee drink that would upset my tummy. O.o Have to say that I was a bit apprehensive to try it, but my apprehension nearly always is outweighed by my curiosity, which is what happened this time, so I ended up with yet another sample from Sil! This seems to be a trend for tonight, haha.

Ok… this seriously tastes like a freaking cup of delicious sweetened, creamy coffee! Like a low-cal version of a latte, sweetened cappuccino….. AHHHHHHH! This is amazing!!! I wasn’t expecting the sweetness; I was expecting something more bitter, but no. This is naturally, deliciously sweet. I’m definitely not one of the coffee-haters; I actually adore the aroma and flavour of coffee (well, when it’s doctored with copious amounts of sugar/milk). My problem was that it upset my stomach, and also, that I couldn’t drink it without the high-calorie additions. So this is nearly perfect – amazing flavour (I bet a touch of milk/sugar would even improve it more!) and no tummy issues… only problem is that Lupicia doesn’t ship to Canada. A problem that i will somehow solve, haha.

Anyhow, I am thoroughly impressed with this one, and hopefully will get the chance to re-stock it someday. YUM!

ETA: Re-steeped twice in less water. Still tasty.

Amariel

Orzo? Like the little rice shaped pasta that is popular in avgolemono (Greek egg lemon and chicken) soup?

Cavocorax

Sold! I’m adding it to my someday shopping list!

Kittenna – oh yay! I’m glad this one was good. I’m still chuckling a bit at all of our faces when we opened it and smelled it heh.

weird my comment didn’t add. Anyway i’m glad this one was a successful experiment. barley tea! wheee! still chuckling at everyone’s face yesterday when we opened it to smell.

..and now it’s there lol silly steepster

Kittenna

Heather – I assume that’s what they’re meaning? But I could be wrong. I didn’t purchase this one and haven’t really researched it! (Also btw, I adore avgolemono soup; it’s actually part of my “birthday meal”, haha.)

orzo is italian for barley. it’s barley tea. :)

The only thing that really confuses me about this tea is that there are strawberries in here. Which I can see, but that’s as far as it goes. So i have to say, I’m in agreement with everyone who has mentioned that this is NOT a tea for you if you don’t like coffee. I on the other hand, am a fan of coffee type latte beverages and so this? This is wonderful!

There is a nutty, sweet, caramel taste to this that I can really get behind. I’m sure if i added some milk to this is would taste eerily similar to a latte. I wouldn’t drink this every day but I am game to keep this in my cupboard for those days when i want something a bit punchier and more reminiscent of a coffee latte. :) mmmmm thanks to Kittenna for inspiring me to get around to trying this heh.

brewed 1 tsp in 6oz boiling water for 5 min, then added about 2 oz vanilla almond milk. Mmmm tastes much like coffee to me – roasty, a bit nutty, but also with a hint more sweetness than the burnt/bitter flavor that often comes with coffee. I’m so glad to finally try this!

JacquelineM

Interesting!!!

TeaEqualsBliss

Orzo! WOW!!!

Janefan

I actually think I may have used too much – 3g is probably less than 1tsp since this is small, dense, and heavy. I suddenly found myself wishing for the digital spoon scale everyone’s been talking about in the discussion board! I will probably use half as much next time, as it tastes pretty strong to me!

Erin

This might be a dumb question, but do you mean to say that you’re steeping orzo in water? As in the cross between pasta and rice?

Janefan

Wikipedia to the rescue again (I knew I wasn’t drinking pasta, but wasn’t sure exactly what I was drinking, since the Lupicia package is all in Japanese):
“Caffé d’orzo (Italian for “coffee of barley”), often shortened to simply orzo, is a type of hot drink, originating in Italy. Orzo is a caffeine-free roasted grain beverage made from ground barley."
More here, apparently there’s a Spanish version that’s more like tea: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caff%C3%A9_d%27orzo

PS – “Orzo” is the Italian word for barley. So I guess the pasta is called that because it is roughly similar is size/shape/texture?

Lori

Now this sounds like an odd tea- soo, does it taste like those roasted rice- green teas?

Janefan

it’s a much darker roast – genmaicha tastes toasty and malty, but the rice still comes through, and it’s blended with green tea. This is much finer (ground?) and darker — I wouldn’t know it was barley by looking at it. This particular blend tastes more like coffee, and has no tea in it.

AmazonV

thank you, i was imagining rice and tea too!

1 tablespoon for 375 ml

Burnt aroma.
Burnt food taste. Mild caramel sweetness. Smooth.
The flavour becomes more tolerable as the tisane cools.
The lingering aftertaste is a coffee (maybe burnt coffee) flavour.

Second infusion at 5 minutes. Dilute flavour. Burnt flavour still present.
Lingering aftertaste is smoother- tastes more like coffee without being burnt.

Rating: 60

I may have to alter the infusion parameters.

Thanks to Sil for sharing!

Kittenna seemed to like it (I havne’t tried it yet) so maybe she’s got some ideas on steeping it.

Kittenna

Hmm, nope, those are the parameters I used and I loved it! I like burny things though. I do like coffee though, it just needs sugar/milk for me to tolerate it (although the tummy won’t tolerate it at all, which is why I don’t drink it usually).

Em

The name of this tea keeps catching my eye. I keep reading ouzo instead of orzo. Ouzo tea would be delicious :)

Ewwww, I hate black licorice! :P

Mmmmmm black licorice…..mmmmm

I snagged this tea while at Lupicia. Was nice as they had samples and it was easy to sniff each tea before buying.

DRY: Smells very roasted and sweet. The tea is in small chunks with lumps of dried strawberries. I actually was intending to get the Strawberry Orzo, but this one smelled better as it had caramel and strawberry scent!

The packaging is a “limited package” which turned out to be a bag around their typical package. Kinda wasteful and I rather not of had the extra bag around it, as I’m just gonna lose or toss it. The package also did not have english steeping instructions, so I had to look those up.

STEEPED: WHOA, this looks like coffee! Pitch black with a hint of brown. Smells dark roasted and rich.
FYI, this was a PITA to get out of my Steeper – the fine chunks of this tea clogged up the filter, pouring the tea very slowly. Next time, I’d go for a tea bag or steep in a tea pot with filter. Probably want a good filter though.
Upon closer inspection, small bits got through the Steeper filter, but one can only see it at the dregs.

TASTE: AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! UUGGGG! YUCKYUCK! Bitter, strong roasted, malty barley flavor. Not actual coffee flavor, but this tea is on the same level of strong, roasted bitter flavor. Bit of sweetness at the end like honey and caramel. Aftertaste of coffee and strawberry.

With rock sugar: same bitter taste, but sweeter. Pour out!!! Maybe I went too heavy on the tea?

Doctored heavy with milk and honey: becomes a weird grey brown colour instead of a typical light brown coffee colour. Okay – this is good. Or am I saying that because this is drinkable? Hmmmm. It’s creamy, with a berry taste. Bit of roasted caramel and chocolate essence. Actually pretty good caramel flavor. Okay – this is good!

COMMENTS: WARNING! IF YOU HATE COFFEE RUN FROM THIS TEA or be willing to have something only as lattes or doctored with milk and sweetener!
Straight up, this is awful stuff, says this tea drinker. Seriously. I’ve utterly disliked only a few teas (Adagio’s “Toasted Sesame” of bitter death and DavidsTea’s “All the Raj” of vinegar) and this would be up there. I’d say like a 35 or 45 rating.
With milk and honey, actually pretty good. I’d have it again and finish the bag. I’d put that at a 80 or 85. I’m just gonna put the tea rating in the middle.

I’d love to show this tea to my coffee drinking friends. Actually, this might the tea they are looking for. No caffeine, tastes good (I’d drink this over coffee), interesting and delicious blend of flavors. This has got to be the closet coffee tea experience I’ve had.

haha this makes me want to dig out mine to try it. still haven’t gotten around to doing so.

This is one of my favorite teas! The earthy aroma of the barley mixes great with the sweetness from the caramel and honey flavouring. when brewed straight it has a similar taste to coffee but not as strong or potent. Add milk to it and it is heaven! The main thing that i love about this tea is since it is a barley tea it doesn’t have caffeine so i can drink it anytime during the day. I can also give it to my little brother and my baby cousins too. I recommend this to anyone and everyone!

Whoa, dry and brewing this smells like sweet coffee. Husband thought it smelled like pralines. Brewed it’s quite surprising—deep dark oily black, with some thin sediment rimming the cup. Made me worry it’d be harsh and burnt tasting or bitter, and there is a toasty thing going on (unsurprising as it’s barley-based), but it’s not a bad thing at all, to my relief. Sweet and caramel-y and yeah, like coffee but with much less body, a cleaner taste. There’s a light earthiness too that isn’t usually in coffee, and I like it. Thought based on the description it’d * need * milk, pleasantly surprised it doesn’t, though I can see how that’d probably add texture and richness. Great to have this at my disposal as a late night kinda-coffee-like sweet treat.

i really like this one. It’s true that it’s a little like coffee but sweet :)

ifjuly

Yeah! I’m really enjoying finding satisfying “teas” I can drink late at night that don’t feel like cop outs, because I do most of my tea drinking right before dinner and then yeah, after dinner, and that is a recipe for disaster in terms of falling asleep on time. I also always liked to drink coffee at night too, back when I drank it more regularly, so this is a very useful addition to my stash! I love Steepster for turning me onto it. (:

This smells amazing. I give extra points for being caffeine free, because I was looking for a night time tea that is not rooibos or chamomile. I used to drink plain chilled orzo like water when I was young (though it was slightly different being an Asian variety), but I came to like flavored versions. It reminds me of light to medium coffee, but not in a way that’s offensive to those who don’t like coffee. People have suggested that it goes well with milk too, so even better. It’s a very comforting cup.

I’m so exhausted wow. I slept at 4am because I just could not go to sleep for some reason! And I woke up at around 9 and didn’t eat, went to class, didn’t eat, went to class, left early for a special guest speaker and there they provided my first meal of the day.
Dang. Today was just to worst day ever. No energy at all ugh :/
But I decided to have some of this before I go to bed tonight. So exhausted so hopefully I’ll pass out right when I hit the pillow.

I actually had no idea how to brew this tea! It didn’t look like regular tea leaves. It looked like you’d mix it in water and it’d dissolve like hot coco. I read the tasting notes and saw that it clogged someone’s steeper, so I decided to just use my disposable filters.
It actually turned out really nice! VERY dark in colour and had a roasted, nearly burnt smell to it as it was steeping.
I’m honestly not a coffee drinker at all. The only coffee I enjoy is my Java Chip Frappuccino from Starbucks. Something with chocolate and highly sweetened haha. But this tea is nice! Totally not oversweet like the Java Chip, but a nice robust flavour to it. Definitely a unique tea! I’ve added just a bit of milk (maybe like 1oz) and a sprinkle of sugar to bring the flavours out more.

Flavors: Butter, Cocoa, Earth

Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 3 g 12 OZ / 354 ML
QueenOfTarts

Hi! Was wondering if you’d like to swap some teas with me? I’m following you, but can’t send you a message unless you follow me back. Thanks! :)

oddree

Oh goodness, now I want a caramel Frappuccino so bad… Is that taboo to say on a social network for tea? :)

this is a wheat tea…so not really tea leaf. There’s a strawberry version too…and an original, but i like this one more than the original.

jump62359

QueenOfTarts I’m following you now! I’ll shoot you a message in a bit :)
oddree, naww it’s al good! Sometimes I finish a cup of tea then have this massive craving for Starbucks, so I kinda just… walk on over to Starbucks to satisfy my craving ahha
Sil, yeah, I’ve never had a wheat tea before so it was so foreign to me! Every time I go to Lupicia, I see these displayed in the back and I’m always curious. I like how they have the smelling tins, but every time I go, I always pick up the same teas. So this time, I decided to mix it up a bit and grab stuff I’ve never tried before :)

so jealous of your lupicia…

jump62359

I’ve been going to the same store for years but I kept getting the same teas over and over again cuz I was afraid to try something new.
Luckily the nearest Lupicia from where I live now is almost an hour away on the freeway so looks like I can spend money on more crucial things like FOOD hahah