White Christmas

Apricot, Butter, Cookie, Creamy, Hazelnut, Smooth, Sweet, Cream, Stonefruits, Nuts, Fruity, Popcorn, White Chocolate, Nutty, Chocolate
Loose Leaf, Sachet
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.
Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 7 oz / 221 ml

2 Images

• “Even though I just received my Black Friday Della Terra order, and I have two orders from Herbal Infusions on the way, I had to stop by Lupicia and get some of this tea. I also picked up some...” Read full tasting note
    Tealizzy 767 tasting notes
  • “This teabag came as a free sample in the Lupicia newsletter. I was expecting it to be a white tea like the Harney version, but it’s a flavored black tea. This is a fairly likeable...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2743 tasting notes
  • “Woot, got the blog going, muhahahahha! If you wanna see pictures with this review, check out http://oolongowl.wordpress.com/2013/01/13/white-christmas-by-lupicia-tea-review/ Read full tasting note
    awkwardsoul 1120 tasting notes
  • “Yum yum yum! I am tasting distinct nutty tones to this tea, even though the ingredients do not mention any nut flavoring to this blend. But I don’t care, because I love the way the toasty,...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4825 tasting notes

From Lupicia

Black tea flavored with white chocolate and apricot, conjuring up images of baked Christmas sweets.

Black tea inspired by baked sweets made with white chocolate and nuts for the festive season.

About Lupicia View company

Tastes like DT’s Cookie but with a black tea base. Caramel and chocolately. Fun plus the darn cute art design on Lupicia’s tins get me every time.

This is one of my new favorite teas. This tea isn’t evocative of pine trees or peppermint of Christmas, no. It’s more like wearing your favorite fuzzy sweater with a butter cookie in hand. Delicious and light with a lingering sweetness.

Afternoon cuppa…or three…with coworkers.

Sample bag from Lupicia newsletter!

Smells almost exactly like Lupicia’s Cookie. The particles are the same small bits as Cookie too, making me wonder if they added the hint of nutty sweetness to make it more complex.

Brews a dark-colored but not especially strong liquor which tastes pretty much like Cookie to me. I don’t pick up the added white chocolate flavor a lot in this blend.

I really enjoyed this tea, and I’m glad that I bought the Christmas sampler despite the name, because these teas would be good for any occasion. I think even young children would enjoy it with no complaints. The subtle hints of white chocolate and nut blended with the mild flavor of the tea makes for a soothing cup of tea. It is reminiscent of cookies, and the white chocolate is a nice alternative to vanilla.

This is one of the Lupicia holiday teas I have neglected to try. I’m sorry, lovely tea, I didn’t mean to forget you! It’s odd, because this was the one that sounded amazing to me when I was looking at their holiday teas. So you would think I would have tried this one first, but for some reason that wasn’t the case! Silly me. Anyway, this appears to be a mixture of a CTC black tea and a full-leaf black tea (Lupicia seems to like this combination, they use it in their Cookie tea and a few others). There are little white puffball things mixed in as well, though I have no idea what those are… Dry scent is delish, sweet and desserty with strong hazelnut and some apricot. I tried not to heap my teaspoon too much and shortened the steep by 30 seconds because I was worried about the CTC getting bitter.

The steeped tea has that same amazing hazelnut aroma. Yum, this is a good one. In fact, this is what I was hoping Cookie would be. The base tea is mellow and light. The overall flavor is very desserty, and a bit like a buttery cookie. I can definitely taste hazelnut here, as well as cream and just a bit of dried apricot. Overall, om nom nom! Why did I wait so long to try this?!

Flavors: Apricot, Butter, Cookie, Creamy, Hazelnut, Smooth, Sweet

Mikumofu

I think the puffballs might be konpeito (a type of Japanese candy), did they start to melt during brewing? Either way, sounds delicious!

Sipdown (120)!

I am certainly not a cook by any stretch of the imagination, but you should all still be jealous of the pasta I just made and am very proud of! It’s “Miserable Tube” Tomato Alfredo with Red Onion and Red Pepper, and a maple cheddar “crust” on top. Yummy!

http://www.foodiggity.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/pasta-shapes-for-the-depressed.jpg A helpful image board for people who can’t name pasta shapes.

The Tea:

To finish this one off I made it in a timolino and brought it to work with me. To attempt to cut down on bitterness I steeped it for a slightly shorter amount of it. And, guess what!? It wasn’t bitter this time! Hoo-rah!

Instead it mostly had the flavour of sweet cream. Like, uh. Well, like Sweet Cream ice cream (which has a distinct flavour I’m struggling to describe) but without the ice cream part of thing. You know, sweet cream. And, that was totally from the white chocolate in the blend for sure.

Sadly, it seems to consequence of no bitterness is that I lose the “juice” from the apricot and instead can only taste muddled, lesser stonefruit flavour notes. And as a huge apricot fan, I’m not sure I’m ok with that trade off. I mean, I can sort of fill in the gaps in flavour because I know what it’s supposed to be, but that’s definitely NOT the same thing.

So, a bittersweet sipdown for sure.

Flavors: Cream, Stonefruits

Amariel

So sad for bitter teas…

OMGsrsly

Little parcels of despair. Aww.

Roswell Strange

Downward spirals is my favourite pasta pun

This is soooooo delicious! Apricot and nuts for sure! I wish they had a year-round version of this at Lupicia….does anyone know if they do?? I didn’t get nearly enough of this at Christmas :( It tastes like the most mellow, nutty, apricot danishy-type of thing. I like it so so much.

Flavors: Apricot, Nuts

whatshesaid

yum! i regret not buying some!

Backlog from shortly after I picked up my teas from VariaTEA.

As mentioned previously, this came off to me kind of as a blend of their ‘Cookie’ tea and something else, although I haven’t quite identified what yet – in part because I have yet to brew up a non-astringent cup in spite of being quite careful to adhere to my 2 minute infusion. So, I’m not sure what I’m doing incorrectly, though I would guess that I’m overleafing a bit? It smells absolutely delicious though, so it’s been a letdown each time I take a drink from my cup :( Even my re-steeps were terribly astringent/bitter, and I tried cutting the tea with additional water to improve the flavour, but it just diluted it. Perhaps this is just a tea that requires milk/sweetener?

Sipdown, so bye-bye White Christmas, it’s been great! Despite the atrocious amount of white stuff on the ground (and apparently more to come – ugh!), it IS March and Christmas is indeed very much over, so I feel OK about saying goodbye to this one until the holidays come round again. Excellent tea – now please can Spring get started already???