Assam Calcutta Auction

Edit tea info Last updated by OMGsrsly

From Lupicia

A luxurious blend of only Assam teas from India. This blend combines sweet and delicate golden tips with hearty and bold CTC and broken type Assam, resulting in a delicious malty aroma that goes perfectly with milk. We recommend trying this as a milk or a chai tea.

About Lupicia View company

1917 tasting notes

I was originally planning to just sell/trade this tea unopened as I am not much on assams and even less on plain assams. However, this evening I really wanted to have hot cocoa with tea steeped in it and I realized that I didn’t have anything really suitable. So I popped this open… I am thinking I might keep it around for when I need a really robust tea (to have with milk and sugar), for steeping in hot chocolate, and perhaps for cold brewing occasionally.

For the record I tasted this a little bit under the chocolate, and it was assamy. Haha.

mmmm that sounds good…

Rosehips

Tea and hot chocolate? What an interesting idea!

Dinosara

Yeah this seems like a tea you could like!

i’ll have to steal a cup or two from you later :)

gmathis

Cocoa and assam…that is absolutely brilliant!

Tea Sipper

Yeah, I’ll have to try the cocoa/assam sometime!

My 12th tea from The Book of Tea… I gotta finish the whole Book ASAP because Lupicia will be launching their second book of the series (The Book of Tea for Ladies) in March! :P

I like this tea, even though it does not taste too special. It’s strong (which was why I kept the steep time short), malty and has a sweeter-than-expected aftertaste. I can imagine how nice it is when served with milk – just as everyone suggests – but I think the tea itself is delicious enough!

TeaBrat

Really? where do you sign up? :)

Devilish

It’s available on the Japanese site of Lupicia, Amy. :) Not sure if it’s available in other countries. I am going to ask my relative in Japan to get it for me! Are you interested as well?

You may see the book here (in Japanese):

I think this is the perfect tea to make homemade chai! I love Assams! This one is a pretty basic one. I usually don’t steep them for a long time unless I want it strong. I added milk and sugar to this. Great tea overall. Pretty basic. :)

I was hoping for more with this tea. It smelled promising, but it didn’t stand out for me.

This is a strong, fairly bitter tea straight. It definitely needs milk and sugar.

But even with milk, this tea still isn’t the best in my book. I like Assam mixed/blended with other black teas rather than alone. It’s not a very complex tea.

To me, it’s nothing special. There’s no unique, distinctive flavor that stands out. It’s just all right. I don’t see myself craving this one.

If you like strong black teas with milk, I recommend Lupicia’s The au Lait instead.

Another one from my Lupicia tea latte sampler. Solid choice.

This is a bad tasting note in the technical sense—more like a review. But I’m not terribly good at tasting notes anyway, SO! Short and sweet:

This is a decent cup of tea. I’ve been drinking gallons this past week, sometimes oversteeping (SQUIRREL!), but it doesn’t hurt anything. Little bit molasses and raisin type notes, especially on second steeps. Strong enough, no sharp unpleasant flavors. Not outstanding, but smooth and very drinkable.

I love this tea! Definitely a must-try for any milk tea drinker.

My recent Lupicia order included a letter from Angie at Lupicia’s Customer Service department and a sample of Assam Calcutta Auction. Based on my order (smooth black and milk teas), this tea fits in perfectly with my tastes. Smooth, sweet, malty, and enhanced by milk, this tea is a lovely milk or chai. I continue to be impressed by Lupicia’s attentiveness to their customers, and recommend signing up for their newsletter, which has introduced me to new flavours of tea.

Thanks Sil! I’ve enjoyed so many flavoured teas from Lupicia, but I hadn’t actually considered try their straight teas. I’m happy for the chance to now!

It tastes like bread and honey! Wow. That’s actually the best tea I could have grabbed for breakfast! It’s also an easier tea to drink- less kicking me in the face with boldness etc. As it cool, it becomes a little bitter, but it’s still very tasty. I just better finish it up quickly!

This was a free sample from Lupicia’s monthly magazine. I love free samples! In that case of Lupicia, the result is often me making a purchase. And of course I want to get free shipping instead of paying for shipping when I could be spending it on tea!

I don’t know strait teas well, but without looking I’m wanting to guess it is an assam? Like most of Lupicia’s teas, it is very smooth and well balanced. It is slightly malty, but not unbearably so.

3m steep, just below boiling
Lupicia suggested adding cream and sugar to this tea, but I’m at my parent’s house where there is no cream or milk… but there is canned whipped cream so….

It is a little odd with whipped cream mixed in. Almost a little chemically. It is nice if I look past that. I’m enjoying this tea, but I don’t think it is going to spawn a purchase.