Assam Calcutta Auction

Edit tea info Last updated by OMGsrsly

From Lupicia

A luxurious blend of only Assam teas from India. This blend combines sweet and delicate golden tips with hearty and bold CTC and broken type Assam, resulting in a delicious malty aroma that goes perfectly with milk. We recommend trying this as a milk or a chai tea.

About Lupicia View company

I was originally planning to just sell/trade this tea unopened as I am not much on assams and even less on plain assams. However, this evening I really wanted to have hot cocoa with tea steeped in it and I realized that I didn’t have anything really suitable. So I popped this open… I am thinking I might keep it around for when I need a really robust tea (to have with milk and sugar), for steeping in hot chocolate, and perhaps for cold brewing occasionally.

For the record I tasted this a little bit under the chocolate, and it was assamy. Haha.

mmmm that sounds good…

Tea and hot chocolate? What an interesting idea!

Yeah this seems like a tea you could like!

i’ll have to steal a cup or two from you later :)

Cocoa and assam…that is absolutely brilliant!

Yeah, I’ll have to try the cocoa/assam sometime!

My 12th tea from The Book of Tea… I gotta finish the whole Book ASAP because Lupicia will be launching their second book of the series (The Book of Tea for Ladies) in March! :P

I like this tea, even though it does not taste too special. It’s strong (which was why I kept the steep time short), malty and has a sweeter-than-expected aftertaste. I can imagine how nice it is when served with milk – just as everyone suggests – but I think the tea itself is delicious enough!

Really? where do you sign up? :)

It’s available on the Japanese site of Lupicia, Amy. :) Not sure if it’s available in other countries. I am going to ask my relative in Japan to get it for me! Are you interested as well?

You may see the book here (in Japanese):

I think this is the perfect tea to make homemade chai! I love Assams! This one is a pretty basic one. I usually don’t steep them for a long time unless I want it strong. I added milk and sugar to this. Great tea overall. Pretty basic. :)

I was hoping for more with this tea. It smelled promising, but it didn’t stand out for me.

This is a strong, fairly bitter tea straight. It definitely needs milk and sugar.

But even with milk, this tea still isn’t the best in my book. I like Assam mixed/blended with other black teas rather than alone. It’s not a very complex tea.

To me, it’s nothing special. There’s no unique, distinctive flavor that stands out. It’s just all right. I don’t see myself craving this one.

If you like strong black teas with milk, I recommend Lupicia’s The au Lait instead.

Another one from my Lupicia tea latte sampler. Solid choice.

This is a bad tasting note in the technical sense—more like a review. But I’m not terribly good at tasting notes anyway, SO! Short and sweet:

This is a decent cup of tea. I’ve been drinking gallons this past week, sometimes oversteeping (SQUIRREL!), but it doesn’t hurt anything. Little bit molasses and raisin type notes, especially on second steeps. Strong enough, no sharp unpleasant flavors. Not outstanding, but smooth and very drinkable.

I love this tea! Definitely a must-try for any milk tea drinker.

My recent Lupicia order included a letter from Angie at Lupicia’s Customer Service department and a sample of Assam Calcutta Auction. Based on my order (smooth black and milk teas), this tea fits in perfectly with my tastes. Smooth, sweet, malty, and enhanced by milk, this tea is a lovely milk or chai. I continue to be impressed by Lupicia’s attentiveness to their customers, and recommend signing up for their newsletter, which has introduced me to new flavours of tea.

I’m having a bit of a lull in my crazy work day, so I thought I’d try this tea today. It came in the Lupicia holiday gift set/grab bag extravaganza earlier this year.

This looks like a pretty standard CTC assam, from what I can see in the teabag. It got steeped in my tea tumbler and then I added some vanilla almond milk afterwards. It’s a decent assam, malty, a bit fruity and with a bit of a sweet aftertaste. I have definitely had worse assams! I didn’t really feel that this needed sugar. Perhaps the almond milk was sweet enough?

Anyway I liked this as a morning tea but will probably not need to buy any soon. Still working on sipping down some of my other black teas at the moment. ;)

I had two bags of this tea in my tea box as part of my $50 happy bag and since we were camping this weekend I thought this might be good to bring along, I generally hate dealing with tea leaves when camping, especially in the backcountry!! It’s just messy!! This tea just screams breakfast to me. Perfect with milk and a touch of sugar it reminds me of the teas I used to drink with mum and dad growing up back home in Oz. Nice but nothing to write home about.

Oooh camping. I’m so envious. Still at least five months till it’ll be nice enough to even think about it here.

LOL! We’re desert camping at the moment since winter is the only time you want to be anywhere near the SoCal deserts!! I’m envious of your winter weather!!! But in the end our summers make up for the wild winters…. +40C for 6 months straight, day in day out!!