Assam Calcutta Auction

Edit tea info Last updated by OMGsrsly

From Lupicia

A luxurious blend of only Assam teas from India. This blend combines sweet and delicate golden tips with hearty and bold CTC and broken type Assam, resulting in a delicious malty aroma that goes perfectly with milk. We recommend trying this as a milk or a chai tea.

About Lupicia View company

I was originally planning to just sell/trade this tea unopened as I am not much on assams and even less on plain assams. However, this evening I really wanted to have hot cocoa with tea steeped in it and I realized that I didn’t have anything really suitable. So I popped this open… I am thinking I might keep it around for when I need a really robust tea (to have with milk and sugar), for steeping in hot chocolate, and perhaps for cold brewing occasionally.

For the record I tasted this a little bit under the chocolate, and it was assamy. Haha.

mmmm that sounds good…

Rosehips

Tea and hot chocolate? What an interesting idea!

Dinosara

Yeah this seems like a tea you could like!

i’ll have to steal a cup or two from you later :)

gmathis

Cocoa and assam…that is absolutely brilliant!

tea-sipper

Yeah, I’ll have to try the cocoa/assam sometime!

My 12th tea from The Book of Tea… I gotta finish the whole Book ASAP because Lupicia will be launching their second book of the series (The Book of Tea for Ladies) in March! :P

I like this tea, even though it does not taste too special. It’s strong (which was why I kept the steep time short), malty and has a sweeter-than-expected aftertaste. I can imagine how nice it is when served with milk – just as everyone suggests – but I think the tea itself is delicious enough!

TeaBrat

Really? where do you sign up? :)

Devilish

It’s available on the Japanese site of Lupicia, Amy. :) Not sure if it’s available in other countries. I am going to ask my relative in Japan to get it for me! Are you interested as well?

You may see the book here (in Japanese):

I think this is the perfect tea to make homemade chai! I love Assams! This one is a pretty basic one. I usually don’t steep them for a long time unless I want it strong. I added milk and sugar to this. Great tea overall. Pretty basic. :)

I was hoping for more with this tea. It smelled promising, but it didn’t stand out for me.

This is a strong, fairly bitter tea straight. It definitely needs milk and sugar.

But even with milk, this tea still isn’t the best in my book. I like Assam mixed/blended with other black teas rather than alone. It’s not a very complex tea.

To me, it’s nothing special. There’s no unique, distinctive flavor that stands out. It’s just all right. I don’t see myself craving this one.

If you like strong black teas with milk, I recommend Lupicia’s The au Lait instead.

Another one from my Lupicia tea latte sampler. Solid choice.

This is a bad tasting note in the technical sense—more like a review. But I’m not terribly good at tasting notes anyway, SO! Short and sweet:

This is a decent cup of tea. I’ve been drinking gallons this past week, sometimes oversteeping (SQUIRREL!), but it doesn’t hurt anything. Little bit molasses and raisin type notes, especially on second steeps. Strong enough, no sharp unpleasant flavors. Not outstanding, but smooth and very drinkable.

I love this tea! Definitely a must-try for any milk tea drinker.

My recent Lupicia order included a letter from Angie at Lupicia’s Customer Service department and a sample of Assam Calcutta Auction. Based on my order (smooth black and milk teas), this tea fits in perfectly with my tastes. Smooth, sweet, malty, and enhanced by milk, this tea is a lovely milk or chai. I continue to be impressed by Lupicia’s attentiveness to their customers, and recommend signing up for their newsletter, which has introduced me to new flavours of tea.

Received this with last year’s happy bag and am just now getting around to it. Getting a mild note of malt and slight bitterness. It is relatively good. Don’t know if it’s lost flavor since I received it. It’s tasty.

I brewed one teabag with approx 10oz boiling water for 3 min.

Boiling 2 tsp 10 OZ / 295 ML

Yep. Agreed with all the other notes here, this is a standard Assam, albeit a nice one.
Smooth, fruity, and a hint of malty yum. There’s also a lingering dry pucker in the back of my mouth at times. I don’t often find this type of astringency in tea!
Not every sip mind you, and the other ones are rather wet and a tad sour.

On a more personal note… I’ve had some rather strange dreams the last few days. I don’t often remember them and yet these ones have yet to fade. Not sure what to think about that!

CharlotteZero

I’ve had a similar experience recently. I can’t even tell you when the last time I remembered my dreams was (6 months, at least), and now suddenly I’m remembering a lot of my dreams.

keychange

Yes, I’ve had this happen as well. Also, I love personal tasting notes!

Indigobloom

CharlotteZero, it is quite odd! I’ve been getting headaches too though I think that is the season change.

Indigobloom

Keychange, me too! reading about people and what goes on in their lives is half the fun of reading notes