Decaf Carol

Edit tea info Last updated by CHAroma

• “I was cleaning out my cupboards today trying to figure out how to organize my tea collection better (HELP!!!) , and I unearthed this which I haven't had in a while. Lupicia does a lot of nice...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2420 tasting notes
  • “This is part of the "Low Caffeine" Holiday Tea collection from Lupicia. Having tried both the Carol and now the Decaf Carol, I find them to be very similar but there are some differences that...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4423 tasting notes
  • “I wasn’t going to brew another tea tonight because that requires me to wash my cup and strainer. But I’m intrigued by this loose leaf sample from Lupicia, so I’m washing some dishes! The dry...” Read full tasting note
    CHAroma 523 tasting notes
  • “Thanks LiberTEAs!!!! I agree with LiberTEAs that the black tea taste/intensity is more pale or mellow in the decaf blend here...but the decaf is tasty! I do prefer the original to the decaf but...” Read full tasting note
    teaequalsbliss 6770 tasting notes

From Lupicia

Decaffeinated tealeaves flavored with sweet strawberry and vanilla and elegantly decorated with rose petals. Goes perfectly well with milk.

How to make tea:
One 300 ml (10.1 fl oz) cup
Tea leaves: 5g (0.17 oz)
Water temp: boiling water
Brewing time: 2.5-3 mins
Infusion: 1-2 cups

About Lupicia View company

I was cleaning out my cupboards today trying to figure out how to organize my tea collection better (HELP!!!) , and I unearthed this which I haven’t had in a while. Lupicia does a lot of nice flavored tea and this one is great for evening due to the decaf, the strawberry smells so natural and the vanilla and rose just add a nice touch. I will have to try and remember this for the evening/dessert time. :)

This is part of the “Low Caffeine” Holiday Tea collection from Lupicia.

Having tried both the Carol and now the Decaf Carol, I find them to be very similar but there are some differences that stand out to me. First of all, the black tea base here is a bit thinner than that of the caffeinated version. However, the flavorings are more intense with the decaf… the strawberry and vanilla really POP and the coconut is much more distinct here!

Both are very good!

The dry leaves smell fruity and delicious! It must be the strawberry. Oh, it smells so good!! It’s funny because I just read a post by Angrboda where she said she had to try and type around a “sleepy but social cat (what do you mean make her go away??? I can’t! She’s cute!).” Now I’m doing the exact same thing, precariously balancing my laptop on the edge of my knees with my arms wrapped around a purring kitty who demands attention now. :) I can’t possibly move him when he lays his head on my hand and sleeps.

“You’re making this impossible,” I say to him. And he responds by looking up at me, still purring, and doing that slow blink thing cats do when they’re happy. He’s just the cutest thing in the world! How can anyone dare to disturb that happiness?

At least the distraction has allowed my tea to cool to a drinkable temperature. Wow, this tea is delicious! The strawberry is definitely the most prominent flavor. It lends a great sweetness to the brew so that I’m not immediately compelled to add milk and sugar. Still, I’m going to add just a tiny touch of milk anyway because the kitty decided to get up.

This is really really good! Even though I’m not individually tasting all the flavorings in this tea, I’m sure it wouldn’t be the same if they were left out. This tea has really impressed me! It’s too bad it’s no longer available since the holiday season is over. I really missed the boat with this one. But now I know to look for it next year! And that’s what I call a tea success!

Mercuryhime

I know how that goes. I have a very aptly named puppy (Mr. Snuggles) who insists on being on my lap the moment I sit down. I sometimes find myself pressing my laptop against my chest with my knees and typing with my hands just under my chin so that the spoiled brat can curl up on my lap with the laptop acting like a little heat pad above him. Of course he’s absolutely adorable and utterly trusting and he’s licking my toes and GAH! Just dang irresistible. Other puppy is content to pull at my hand until I’m petting him so I’m also typing one handed. I know, I’ve spoiled them, but cute little animals will probably always get their way with me. Except for house training. That’s serious business. :)

Angrboda

Kitties. They own us. I can’t even count the number of times I’ve sat bouncing on full to bursting bladder because there was a content cat on my lap so I couldn’t move. Usually don’t push them off until I absolutely have to.

Uniquity

I just stayed in bed an extra half hour because my spoiled princess (kitty) was being cute and purring next to me. Not that it was any great struggle. : )

Thanks LiberTEAs!!!!
I agree with LiberTEAs that the black tea taste/intensity is more pale or mellow in the decaf blend here…but the decaf is tasty! I do prefer the original to the decaf but if you are looking for no caf give this one a try!

Being doomed temporarily to decaf-land after being a hearty black tea drinker for decades was almost a death sentence. Really? It takes 2 decaf Tetley bags to make a vaguely reasonable mug of tea. Bleah. I came across this tea at our local Mitsuwa and DANG AM I GLAD!! First sniff takes me right to Crunchberry-ville!! The strawberry and vanilla smells really sweet, but it doesn’t translate to that level of sweetness in the mug. But it is nice. Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice. It tastes like a treat. A nommy self-indulgent treat. I used honey and milk with a teabag…I might add a bit more tea to the brew if I had loose leaf to make it stronger, but that’s my personal choice. If you like cap’n crunch, get this tea. If you love strawberries, get this tea…..aw heck, just get this tea. Especially if you’re living in decaf land. It’s worth it.

It’s a nice subtle flavored black tea plain, but if you want to make the strawberry flavor pop, add a little cream and sugar. It tastes like a dessert/strawberry latte then.

This may be one of my favorite teas to drink as a afternoon treat. The smell is amazing, almost like strawberry oatmeal, or yogurt covered raisins.

I don’t know if I would buy a whole tin of it, since I received this as a free sample from Lupicia as part of their newsletter program. I might be interested in the non-decaf version more, and while the smell is amazing, the flavor is very weak. Honestly, I just love inhaling a deep breath of the sweet steam before taking a slow sip.