250 gram Mengku Aroma - 2006

Pu-erh Tea
Creamy, Earth, petrichor, Smoke, Stewed Fruits, Tobacco, Wet wood
Edit tea info Last updated by Nathaniel Gruber

1 Tasting Note View all

• “Let it air out for a few days and the flavor has equalized (no fish). Very enjoyable and round. Gives a smooth, mellow and earthy mouthfull. Smells like fresh soil. Overall, a good brick. (Split...” Read full tasting note
    lukep 15 tasting notes

From Mandala Tea

Classic Mengku ripe tea with plenty of gold buds to keep this tea intersting infusion after infusion! We enjoy most of Mengku’s ripe teas and think this one is a beauty. We first tried this one in China and thought it good enough to buy a couple of cases of it. Brews up rich and smooth and it’s aged enough to give a clear, wine red liquor.

About Mandala Tea View company

1 Tasting Note

(Split the brick and took leaves from the middle: smokier and not fishy.
Starting to notice significant fishiness… Putting this back in the box.

When I opened the packaging, I noticed it was glossier than the pictures suggested—an auspicious beggining. Upon further examination, I found the brick was really quite lovely. A nice mix of stems and leaves.
I placed a fair chunk into my 150 ml gaiwan. I’ve done about four steepings with boiling water for 10-20 seconds. I have to say, the deepness and clarity of the liquid was quite impressive for such an affordable little brick. The leaves have a wonderful earthy/smokey smell from the beggining. However, the liquor has stronger notes of overripe cherries and maybe even oak. I can’t say which I enjoy more.
With each steeping, the liquid has become darker and smokier. This is really a great thing for a pu-erh. I want the tea to peak after no fewer than 5 steepings.

As for the spent leaf, it takes its time opening up. I’m only on my 4th steeping, so we’ll see what the striations continue to do. However, from the look of the leaves, it seems the leaf integrity is solid, and the leaves are more or less whole. This is a sign of good quality, so I’m satisfied here. We have to remember the tea has been waiting for 8 years at this point!

I’m excited to see how this brick ages. That is if I can keep it sitting in my shou box long enough to find out!

Flavors: Creamy, Earth, petrichor, Smoke, Stewed Fruits, Tobacco, Wet wood

SimpliciTEA

Sounds like an interesting cooked (?) pu-erh.

lukep