Mandala Tea 2011 Wild Mountain Green Raw Pu'er

Pu-erh Tea
Floral, Grapes
Edit tea info Last updated by Garret

• “I work with Garret and Sarah at Mandala Tea so I won't be doing a rating - just personal reflections and a "check-in" on this young sheng. Method: 7g in gaiwan, boiling water, rinse followed by...” Read full tasting note
    JamieGroth 5 tasting notes
  • “I was going to bust this open tomorrow, but when MzP said it was her fave sheng, I decided I couldn't wait!!! Method: 3.5 g, 3 oz, rinse, 10-15-20, 205 degrees, ru kiln gaiwan Aroma: apricot,...” Read full tasting note
    Sarsonator 165 tasting notes
  • “I had this tea this afternoon. I don't have a gaiwan but did the gong fu brewing method with my tiny ceramic teapot. It's pretty much the same thing. First brew was 10 sec. I see now with this...” Read full tasting note
    Ubacat 192 tasting notes
  • “I need Sheng! This and Wild Monk are my default shengs and there is a reason for that. Hot damn this is wonderful! I put 7 grams in my awesome red gaiwan, 212 water, rinse followed by two...” Read full tasting note
    mzpriss 103 tasting notes

From Mandala Tea

From the second highest mountain range in Simao comes the material we chose for this wonderful Mandala exclusive! The mao cha (sun-dried leaf) was picked from 200 year old trees growing wild and naturally. Surrounded by floral and fauna native to the area, these trees grow in a pristine and remote area, far away from roads and pollution. This is some of the highest altitude pu’er you’ll ever find.

While we certainly look forward to what the years will bring to this fine tea as it ages, we are excited to drink it now. It has a wonderful energy, partially due, no doubt, to the clean conditions it is grown in. We chose the raw material over 15 or so other mao chas from the same area because of its rich aroma with hints of camphor and orchids. We are sure you’ll find the rich flavor very enjoyable as you let this tea lie on your tongue and pick up the agave nectar notes along with a smooth grassiness. These is no doubt in our mind that we will source more tea from this same village for more raw pu’er pressings in the future. We are impressed and know that you will be, too. May we share a cup together soon!

About Mandala Tea View company

I work with Garret and Sarah at Mandala Tea so I won’t be doing a rating – just personal reflections and a “check-in” on this young sheng.

Method: 7g in gaiwan, boiling water, rinse followed by two infusions of 30 seconds, then five 1 minute infusions and one 5 minute infusion.

After the rinse I poked around in the material and noticed a number of dark reddish leaves and a nice grape-like scent. All infusions brewed up a relatively deep amber/yellow color. It’s a perilous term, but what I think of as a pleasant “sour” in tea is present. It seems to refresh, awaken my tongue and mouth. No smokey smell or flavor, which allows me to enjoy some subtle grape and mineral action as the sourness fades. This stuff feels velvety as I sip.

There is great Qi with this high altitude wild picked stuff. I’m accustomed to it from the Mandala Wild Monk and it is strong with this cake, too. Long after I drink a cup, there is a coolness in my mouth as I draw in breath and my chest feels opened. The sweetness that lingers long after the last cup is just a bonus.

I was going to bust this open tomorrow, but when MzP said it was her fave sheng, I decided I couldn’t wait!!!

Method: 3.5 g, 3 oz, rinse, 10-15-20, 205 degrees, ru kiln gaiwan

Aroma: apricot, plum!, spinach, a little floral

Flavor: This is buttery and sweet, smooth and a little fruity. It tastes a teensy bit vegetal, too. This has a light bitterness on the end of the sip. Not too much. It has a pleasant aftertaste. This tastes a little brothy on some sips, sweeter on others. I’m into it. Shengs are totally my jam. :p

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 3 g 3 OZ / 88 ML
mrmopar

This is a dang good one!

Dexter

This is her FAV sheng? Really – better than cowboy? Better than Wild Monk? I need it to cool off here so that I can try it. I have a sample here from one of my orders, but I haven’t tried it. Need to do that SOON – especially now that I have my sheng pot reseasoned….

Sarsonator

I’m on my 4-5-6 steeping blend now and it’s way less sweet and more brothy. This one really has a great variety of flavors to offer!

Dexter

Then this one might be under rated, or under noticed. I haven’t really heard much about it. Will pull out that sample as a reminder to try it soon. Just WAY too HOT here tonight.

Sarsonator

Give it a try when ya can. I’d be interested to hear your thoughts!!!

TheTeaFairy

It’s kind of funny that I’m reading this just now…I just placed a new order with Mandala and grabbed one of those cakes…when I read the description on their website, I thought “heck, why didn’t I order this one before??”

MzPriss

It’s my favorite of the moment – possibly because it’s the one I’ve been drinking lately (and I need more). Frequently Wild Monk is my favorite and I haven’t tried the Hot Cowboy yet, or the Misty Peak ones I got recently or the Tea Urchin sample I got from Stephanie … but yeah, right now I’m loving this. It’s got this really yummy grapey flavor that I LOVE and it makes me feel witty and brilliant – though I could be confusing witty and brilliant with buzzed sheng-head motormouth. I REALLY like this.

Sarsonator

It’s definitely a win for me, too. I wish I had brought some to work today. People are already pissing me off and it’s been less than an hour. I could use a nice sheng buzz

Also, auto correct tried to change “pissing me off” to “pudding me off”. I wish someone was pudding me off, autocorrect!!!!!!!

I had this tea this afternoon. I don’t have a gaiwan but did the gong fu brewing method with my tiny ceramic teapot. It’s pretty much the same thing. First brew was 10 sec. I see now with this tea I could have gone longer. It was a little on the weak side for the first infusion but I enjoyed it. I could taste the earthy pu’er along with the sweet buttery notes. I increased the infusion to 30 sec for the next one and thereafter increased just a bit more. It seemed I could taste the underlying buttery notes a little more with each infusion along with the earthy pu’er flavour. There was no smokey notes which kept this tea clean and refreshing. It did seem to clear the lungs.

mrmopar

I really liked this one. Tried a sample and got a cake. Definitely worth the storage space.

MzPriss

This is happy tea for me.

Ubacat

I think so too. I only got the sample size but next time will get a full cake.

Garret

I love this tea. But then again, I’m a bit partial. Hoping to head to those same mountains again for mao cha buying this autumn! Prices of mao cha are crazy this spring, almost double what they were last year. But even at higher prices, where else are you going to get old tree tea grown with no pesticides, hand-picked and life-giving? Great teas are not always going to be as inexpensive as we have become accustomed to. And our friends who grow, harvest and process this tea should be able to make a good living. I think pu’er has long been undervalued. As a seller, I’m a little sad because so many people are wanting cheap cheap cheap prices. The el-cheapo tea will still be available but for those of us who desire more shall we say, character in our teas, we might just have to get used to paying a little more.

I put 7 grams in my awesome red gaiwan, 212 water, rinse followed by two infusions of 30 seconds, then five 1 minute infusions

1st steep green and shengy with that little bit of pucker and the tinest hint of grape

2nd getting the green floral with a slight bitterness and a touch of camphor

3rd Oh hello darling – Ive missed you! Opening up into that sublime deliciousness

4th There’s the grapey lovliness I adore so much with this tea

5th – 7th Still the grapes with a stronger camphor note and the most pleasant bitterness ever. I’ve got the tongue tingle, the chi buzz, the warm feeling all through my body and THIS
is the way to start a Sunday morning y’all. I will likely sip on this alllllll day!
Garret – I appreciate you for many reasons – this sheng is most definitely one of them :)

OMG I forgot a song! How about the Zydeco Boogaloo? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZHnu_mgQBs

Flavors: Floral, Grapes

TheTeaFairy

So cute! Happy Mandala sheng day :-) I had mine yesterday pretty much all day too!!!

Sarsonator

More grapey flavors in a pu’erh! I will note this one to try next!!! Wishlist! Wooo!

MzPriss

@Sars – this was first sheng and still one of my very favorite. I LOVE this one

LTF – you did the Autumn Song right? I may have to have some that later

Sarsonator

Well I have to order from Mandala again soon b/c I have decided that I simply cannot live without the Heart of the Old Tree. I am really taking a liking to pu’erhs because I feel like I can buy them, and not drink them all right away, and that’s totally ok because of the aging!!!!

MzPriss

I need some of that Heart of the Old Trees. I can’t believe I don’t have any. Right now I have buzzy sheng head and seriously – better than a lot of drugs I may or may not have tried.

Roughage

This sounds superb. I need to add this to my want list.

MzPriss

The Wild Mountain Roughage? If so, YES you need this. It’s delightful. I’m ordering the Old Trees as well :)

Sarsonator

Love this: “better than a lot of drugs I may or may not have tried”

Yeah, I am going to order more Mandala soon. Before I do, are there any other pu’erhs that you think I simply can’t live without, HoneyBelle? I want the Wild Mtn and more Heart of the Old Tree.

How about you, TTF? Let me know!

MzPriss

What I love: Special Dark of course, Imperial Bulang, Noble Mark(!), the Lincang. I have more but haven’t spent time with them – just got the Old nuggets. Shengs I love: THIS ONE!, Wild Monk(!), I’ve only done one roung with the Silver Needle – but I liked it, and I’m looking forward to the Autumn Song

Sarsonator

Thanks so much! I did get special dark. Loved it. I also just received the wild monk, but I did not try it yet. I need to get over my desire to keep it in it’s beautiful wrapper. LOL.

I will check out the other suggestions!!! <3

TheTeaFairy

Sarsonator, I loved all the ones MzPriss just mentioned…but I also loved Imperial Dark and Temple Stairs shou pu’erh which I only got to try lately. Yesterday’s session with autumn song was also unbelievable!

MzPriss

Sars – you wrap it back up in that beautiful wrapper so you get to keep looking at it :)

Sarsonator

OK… I got temple stairs, but I’ll add some imperial dark, too. Thank you both!

And MzP… I know. I just think it’s so pretty that I don’t want to mess it up! I’ll work carefully. :)

MzPriss

Yes you have to be sweet with it, but you can do it!

TheTeaFairy

Oh! I forgot about Lincang and phatty cake!! They are a little bolder though, having lincang right now…whoa!!!

MzPriss

OMG – Phatty Cake! How could I forget phatty caek? Probably because my cakes are in a box and I didn’t see them…

MzPriss

I need to quit typing because I am not good at it.

Typing is overrated. You’re good at tea. :p

I <3 you Sars

TheTeaFairy

I will review lincang again shortly….YOU HAVE TO ADD THAT ONE Sars!

MzPriss

I’m about tmake my Dark Beauty cocktail. I told someone I would make a listing on here with instructions. I should do that today too.

Sarsonator

Steepster ate my comment!!!

I heart you, HoneyBelle!

Lincang was added! Can’t wait!!!!

What is Dark Beauty??? Sounds deeeeelish!!!

MzPriss

OH well now. Don’t know about my Dark Beauty cocktail? I will (very carefully this time) tell you:

16 oz boiling water
1 TBSP Special Dark
Big ass pinch of Black Beauty (Mandala)
Steep that bad boy for a while 5-7 minutes

Hellllllllo happiness. I have it every, single. morning. Makes the world turn right.

MzPriss

I would like to the clarify the above statement. It makes the world turn correctly not right.

Hillel

What a lovely picture of a perfect Sunday morning! I’m saving this for future use as a background on my computer. For the next couple of weeks, that place of honor goes to images of the Tour de France.

MzPriss

AWWWWWWW thanks Hillel – it was for Science!