Loose and Luscious Lincang -2007

Pu-erh Tea
Leather, Stonefruits
Edit tea info Last updated by Garret
Boiling 0 min, 30 sec 7 g 5 oz / 150 ml

• “This is a sample sent with my Christmas order to Mandala Tea. It is soooooo good I think another order is warranted. I shared this with my best friend this evening and we were resteeping a single...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1796 tasting notes
  • “I've been drinking this all afternoon since we got back from the mall and it's been a great way to sit, relax and calm down. Just needed some down time to not do much of anything. ” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4662 tasting notes
  • “Sipdown, 142. Yes, my number went up substantially after that Teavivre package. Well, nothing to do but keep sipping down. Thanks to *Sil* for a sample of this one. So keep trying with puers but...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 1909 tasting notes
  • “Whoamygosh this is amazing. It smells so good dry--the mint sets it apart, it isn't strong or overpowering but just there enough to keep the earthiness in check. There's the usual earthy, almost...” Read full tasting note
    ifjuly 612 tasting notes

From Mandala Tea

We are so excited to offer this one-of-a-kind grade 1 ripe pu’er. We were so impressed by this material that we commissioned an entire MandalaTea private label pressing, our well-enjoyed “Phatty Cake”

The leaf was picked in spring 2006 and ripened using light/moderate fermentation in 2007, leaving tons of room for maturation despite the fact that at the time of this writing it is already 4 years old. This is one delicious ripe tea, with slight hints of spearmint on the tongue and a rich aroma that is definitely a departure from any other ripe tea.

Rest easy knowing that you are drinking a tea grown wildly in the most pristine tea growing region of China. You can’t get near this arbor by road and there are no cities within miles, hence no pollution for this tea to breathe.

We think you’ll love this wonderful exclusive offering from MandalaTea!

About Mandala Tea View company

MzPriss’ Unflavored Tea Box – Tea #10
Another fantastic pu-erh from Mandala. They are all so different. I used a teaspoon of this one so there would be a little left for someone else to try and just filled the mug not quite to the top. The first cup was all leather, in the tastiest way possible. The most leathery pu-erh I’ve tried. It wasn’t really chocolate until the second very dark cup and lost most of the leather flavor. It’s interesting that it changes so much from cup to cup. I wish I had more to say about this one but I’ve been writing tasting notes sometimes days after I’ve tried a tea, whenever I get a chance. I’m not doing these teas any justice!
I’m very happy I’ve been able to try a few of the Mandala pu-erhs! I love to figure out what I like. It seems most of the teas in the teabox have two teaspoons left, so when I send the teabox on, there will only be one teaspoon left of things. I’m not even sure if I’ll have space to add teas, but I’ll figure it out.
Steep #1 // rinse // 5 min after boiling // 2 min
Steep #2 // just boiled // 3 min

ashmanra

This is one of my favorites from Mandala.

Me too Ashmanra!

Stephanie

Isn’t this one the loose form of the Phatty cake? :)

TheTeaFairy

Yes it is, I have both and adore them!!

Garret

I’m smiling this morning. Had a wonderful yoga class this morning and then get here to the shop to read fun reviews and greet such nice people on Steepster. Now for some serious bagging of the tea for other nice people. Kinda wish the 4 of us were sitting down in the tea room together. Wouldn’t that be a joy! Well, at least we can enjoy the same tea, right??

With gratitude,

Tea Sipper

Aw, thanks! That made ME smile! Well, we can’t sip tea together, but I’m going outside to read a book. :D

Ok, I made several Mandala’s orders in the last few weeks. It just seemed that every time, I had forgotten something or I just needed more of something else.

The last order was triggered by looseTman. He reminded me of something I had said in a previous review about this tea.

I had written that this was a very masculine tea, a “Stetson and Chaps” kind of guy.

That made me realized I had completely forgotten about it cause I had only a sample at the time.

I don’t know about you ladies, but I just can’t resist stetsons and chaps. So I placed another order for it and now well it’s here!

This tea is solid. It’s a hugger. I just want to cuddle with it.

Oh, the smell of leather bindings and old books, so lovely! Earthy and musty, very sweet with zero astringency. Just a tad of menthol at the end of the sip.

It’s spectacular! This is possibly my favourite loose shou pu’erh ever.

(dare I say it, it might have surpassed special dark just by a tad)

LooseTman, thank you for reading my previous review, the fact that you reminded me of it made me order this and now I’m in tea heaven because of you :-)

boychik

I love this too. A lot;)

Mandy

Stop, you make me want all the teas!

TheTeaFairy

Boychik, I so love it!! And I can’t wait to try phatty cake, got one of this babies as well.

Mandy, that’s only because I keep drinking all the best teas!!!

Cowboys! Oh wait. tea.

MzPriss

And I love this tea. But not more than Special Dark. The Phatty Cake is awesome. And I also have to do yet another Mandala order. I can’t even make that one your fault. It’s Sarsonator’s fault.

Terri HarpLady

This review made me smile :)

boychik

I’m having this right now. Leather and prunes my perfect combo

Hee Haw!!!

And Cowboys.

MzPriss

But I need some help. (No not with the Cowboys – I got that) but I want to mae sure I don’t miss something and have to oder again after this because really. I can’t. I already need to have my credit cards taken away.

Sarsonator

I just looked at my shopping cart over at Mandala and I felt very afraid. LOL. But what the hell? You only live once and pu’erhs are meant to be aged, so it’s not like they’ll go bad, right? RIGHT? :p

TheTeaFairy

Haha! so you also got this one? Oh, I’m glad you did…can’t wait to find out what you think of it :-) Hee Haw!!!

Sarsonator

I didn’t place the order yet, but I added some of this.

Can you tell me the difference between this and the phatty cake? Because it says the phatty cake is pressed from this. So do they taste much different? Should I get the loose or the cake?

Thanks, dearest!!!

TheTeaFairy

I haven’t tried the cake yet, it’s one of my new pu’erh!!! I got it only because I like the loose one so much I figured I must get the cake, lol. let’s ask honeybelle, i think she has the cake.

MzPriss

You know I should try them side by side – never done that. Mostly I think of the loose as easier

MzPriss

Would y’all like for me to set up the side by side test RIGHT NOW and tell you?

Sarsonator

I guess I’ll just have to get both and compare them. In the name of science, of course.

Oh well. Then yes. YOU do the science. I’ll wait :p

MzPriss

Starting on it. I will put pics on flickr

Sarsonator

This is so fun! I love little comparison tests!!!

TheTeaFairy

Oh, totally missed the experiment! How’s it going? Oh, now I understand the other thread’s comment !! I’m a little slowww today…

MzPriss

OK – after a side by side comparison, I believe I can say with some confidence that it would be up to your personal preference. I used 6 grams of each – did two rinses and 4 steeps of each. It would take a FAR more refined palate than mine to really tell an appreciable difference. And what else did we learn?

I am a badass gongfuy mistress – I can pour two gaiwans at the same time with equal success yo.

I have now dumped them all in one mug which I am enjoying now.

What else did we learn? Don’t use your lacy white gaiwan for shou. It’s little bottom got stained – but fear not! I have magic miracle soak http://shopmandalatea.com/smart-soak-tea-stain-dissolver.html from Garret.

TheTeaFairy

Nice!! I know that miracle soak is awesome, but I always forget to get some!

MzPriss

It is lifesaving to me – especially for my white things. I drink a LOT of Special Dark

Sarsonator

Added miracle soak to the cart! I’ve actually been meaning to so that for awhile

So I realize the loose tea is more convenient, but I’m really digging the cakes, so I think I’m getting the phatty. I really aappreciate the comparison.

I thank you. Science thanks you.

Sarsonator

Oh and also, the tea tray is gorgeous!

MzPriss

You are welcome. Science is welcome. You will thank yourself for the miracle soak

We also learned I need a &^^#$%# pu-pick

Sarsonator

Ah yes. I have one of those in the cart, too!!!! I figured if I’m buying all these cakes, better get the tool to go with ’em.

TheTeaFairy

You will have the perfect haul Sars, so excited for you!!

MzPriss

Please someone remind me to do that and LTF – will you please help me remember what all I need to get?

MzPriss

Oh I’m glad you like my tray. Guess what??? You might tsake a little gander at Garret’s trays while you’re over there….it’s really reasonable too and I LOVE it

What is it you need??

MzPriss

I need to find what we talked about this morning. I have Autumn Song, but I think I need Temple Stairs? And something else. And a pu-pick

Sarsonator

Don’t forget the heart of the old tree!

MzPriss

YES! That! See?? See why I need help? And Cowboys?

TheTeaFairy

Good thing that sars came to the rescue, I had no idea that was the one you were looking for…(we all need cowboys)

MzPriss

Yes, yes we do. That was one of the ones. So I need those two and a pick, cause I’ve been using all kinds of weird things like knives and screwdrivers

Sarsonator

I think you’ll really love the HOTOT.

Lol. HOTOT.

Oh and yes, cowboys, pls.

MzPriss

OK I’m off to get a mug warmer back soon.

Haha! HOTOT Cowboyzzzzz
(i will be calling my old tree cake hot cowboy from now on)

Sarsonator

The hot cowboy tea cake. Love it!

boychik

Never seen live cowboy but firefighters. Omg they are so hot in Brooklyn haha

TheTeaFairy

(Ok now, boychik, you are bringing this topic to a whole new level…let’s try to keep Steepster PG13…)

I want to go hoomeeee

TheTeaFairy

Haha! Firefighters will have that effect on you I guess ;-)

boychik

Yep, I can’t sleep here. Too quite. I need police, ambulance, fire truck siren , helicopters. I go to bed at 2am then by 5-5:15 I’m up because birds chirping
Oh man, I need to feel I’m safe haha

MzPriss

I used to live next door to a fire station

boychik

You are so lucky MzPriss! I remember we had blackout some years ago. Ppl used candles and then our neighbors had tiny fire across the street. I think it was just smoke. Anyway 3 fire trucks came to our block at 6am. Everybody wearing practically nothing (hot summer night) got on a block to stare at those gorgeous men. It was like a show. Free show.

MzPriss

They used to work out outside. Yeah it was nice

Terri HarpLady

Awww, you got some cutsie tea pets! Look at all that pretty stuff! That lacey taiwan is like what you’d get if a white porcelain taiwan & a bad mitten shuttlecock had babies ;)

MzPriss

Thank you Terri :) LOL that is EXACTLY what that gaiwan looks like. It was the first gaiwan I ever bought and I still love it, I like pretties

MzPriss

My tea is now so far out of control I don’t even know what I have anymore. I HAVE Temple Stairs. SMH. So now maybe I just need some Hot Cowboy and a pu-pick

MzPriss

Garret – when you read this, sorry we’ve turned your beautifully named Heart of the Old Trees into Hot Cowboy. Sorry about that. Sorry.

MzPriss

It might be slightly more accurate to say that I would like to be sorry HOTOT is now Hot Cowboy

TheTeaFairy

(I’m gonna drink me some hot cowboy this very minute…sorry too Garett for the brutality of this…but Hot Cowboy Sheng makes me such a happy fairy)

MzPriss

I’m working on the last steeps of my Wild Mountain Green from yesterday – just got my assistant all shenged-up as well so she can keep up :)

A happy Fairy is a good thing Garret

TheTeaFairy,
You’re welcome. I’m glad you’re in “Heaven” and thoroughly enjoying your “Stetson and Chaps” so much! However, I’m now confused. How can you rate Loose and Luscious Lincang – 2007, a shou you “forgot”, higher than your beloved Special Dark of which you’ve waxed poetically about numerous times on Steepster? It doesn’t even contain the most Special tea flavor: Chocolate!

TheTeaFairy

Haha!!! LooseTman, I guess I’m all confused cause Mr. Garret Awesomeness makes too many excellent teas and they seem to compete with one another!!!
Can you have too much of a good thing? And this is all your fault, I totally blame you for this….I had forgotten about this tea…thank god you did remind me ;-)

looseTman

No, you can’t you have too much of a good thing! It’s not my fault. The Devil made me do it! :-)
Did SD just increase from 93 to 96? Thus, making it 1 point higher than your “Stetson and Chaps”.

TheTeaFairy

Yes, forgot to tell you…in all seriousness, SD in a yixing clay pot is very close to perfection, and will probably reach 100 on my next session…

looseTman

Wow! This sounds very intriguing. I’ll have to check out your most recent SD tasting notes & comments.

A sample – this is from a phatty cake (whatever that is). I’m trying to enjoy pu-ehr teas, but it is just not happening. This tasted fishy to me.

Garret

HI there! I just replied to another review you had just posted of a ripe pu’er.
May this message find you well.

This is the Phatty Cake: http://shopmandalatea.com/100-gram-mandala-phatty-cake.html

If you had a sample of the cake, that would be different than the lincang 2007 tea, which is a loose black style pu’er. While Phatty Cake utilizes the same material, it was steamed and pressed into cakes in 2011 which will change some aspects of the tea.

Wondering if you used a full rolling boil with this tea. It is really going to help you draw the best flavor out of a black style pu’er. Important, too, to do a rinse or two of the leaf with boiling water to prime the leaf and warm the brewing vessel. If you have some of the sample left, try it that way if you have not already done so.

But hey… no one says you have to enjoy black pu’er :) Thank goodness, there are other styles of the great leaf we know as camellia sinensis, right?!

Enjoy, Garret

Inspired by TheTeaFairy I was happily sipping this tea. I have to agree its manly tea. Dark,rich. My absolute favorite notes of leather and prunes. Usual parameters 5g 130 ml gaiwan 212F
Rinse/ pause/5/10/10/10/15/20 etc

MzPriss

It’s very manly and leathery my yixing twin

apt

im a guy and cant stand shu pu

you ladies are officially manlier than me.

boychik

All I can say we have different taste buds ;-)

TheTeaFairy

Haha! Glad I could inspire you to drink some pupu goodness!!