White Night

White Tea
Coconut, Cream, Hay, Sweet
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

Available from 1 seller.

• “What a fascinating tea! Over the Thanksgiving weekend, I placed my first order with Mandala Tea, and all arrived quickly, nicely packaged and with extra sample tea as well. I had heard good things...” Read full tasting note
    ealexandergerster 103 tasting notes
  • “I had been looking forward to trying a White Night/Moonlight for a while, since it sounded very interesting and has the characteristics of some of my favorite teas. It didn't disappoint! Dry...” Read full tasting note
    tperez 107 tasting notes
  • “Well I can't very well improve on the terrific description by tperez and can only add that for someone who has apparently only had low quality (tasteless) white teas, this was a revelation. Mild...” Read full tasting note
    Flowery 142 tasting notes
  • “This was included as a sample from Mandala. I was skeptical at first--most white teas I've had are so subtle that it's like sipping warm water. But just one glance showed this to be something...” Read full tasting note
    justnord 9 tasting notes

From Mandala Tea

This is a large leaf varietal picked in early spring. Covered with white downy hairs, the bud and leaf is slightly wilted and gently dried with warm air. This amazing white tea differs from other whites because the processing brings about an aging quality so that over a few years it will turn into a black tea.

A light, sweet, full bodied flavor. Smooth and easily palatable.

White Night can be steeped 7-8 times!

About Mandala Tea View company

What a fascinating tea!

Over the Thanksgiving weekend, I placed my first order with Mandala Tea, and all arrived quickly, nicely packaged and with extra sample tea as well. I had heard good things about Mandala, and Garret (the owner) and myself had exchanged a few emails through discussions here on Steepster. I am just amazed at the friendly, courteous and interesting people that make up the tea community in MN, and am glad that they have sellers like Mandala and Verdant Tea to introduce them to fine Chinese tea!

The White Night tea is like nothing I have ever tried before. It has the familiar earthiness that you find in Yunnan green and pu’erh teas, but is so light and sweet with an ethereal aroma. In German they say “Himmel und Erde,” or “Heaven and Earth,” which is truly what this tea brings to mind. And each time I thought my gaiwan of leaves could yield no more, another steep proved me wrong. The first 5 steepings were amazing, the next three still were very good, before I decided to retire the leaves to the compost bin.

Thank you for showing me how a white tea can have as much complexity and full bodied flavor, and need not be simply subtle and light.

Geoffrey

If you’re ever passing through MN / Twin Cities in the future, send me a PM. I’d be happy to invite you over for some gongfu cha. I think you’d be great company to drink with. The number of people working to develop a really nice tea culture here is growing. Cheers!

E Alexander Gerster

I have to give a special thank you to you Geoffrey, since it was your great posts that intrigued me and made me want to go outside my comfort zone… I would love to visit MN sometime. It is one of those places that I have never had the opportunity to visit, and I would love to see how the tea culture is growing!

Geoffrey

Thanks! I’m glad to know that the stuff I write about my tea experiences is appreciated and opened up something for you. MN can be a wonderful place to visit for a variety of reasons, so I would say, by all means, consider doing so sometime.

I had been looking forward to trying a White Night/Moonlight for a while, since it sounded very interesting and has the characteristics of some of my favorite teas. It didn’t disappoint!

Dry leaves: Cream colored tips and chocolaty brown leaves. The dry aroma is similar to dian hong, but slightly more muted with a mildly lavender scent and a slight sheng pu’erh mustiness.

Early steeps: Mild and sweet with flavors of lavender, yam, and white grape with slight marine qualities. The taste reminds me of a very soft golden needle, but has a mouthfeel more like a sheng pu.

Later steeps: A sweet greenness appears that reminds me of guapan or Taiwanese oolongs. Slight mushroom flavor, and VERY creamy.

This tea had a WHOLE LOT of qi for me. Very warm, sleepy, and medatative, and strong feelings along my eyebrows, forehead, and spine. I haven’t been this tea-drunk in quite a while :P

Well I can’t very well improve on the terrific description by tperez and can only add that for someone who has apparently only had low quality (tasteless) white teas, this was a revelation. Mild and light, yes, but with the complexity and presence that drew me to better oolongs as my gateway drug to good teas. As this was a sample thrown into my green/oolong order by Garret, I guess he knew just how to get me to branch out. He’s a great tea guide, that one.

This was included as a sample from Mandala. I was skeptical at first—most white teas I’ve had are so subtle that it’s like sipping warm water. But just one glance showed this to be something different. It had large fluffy white leaves alongside dark brown/black leaves, as if it was a blend of white and black tea. In fact, it’s all white tea, but some leaves have been oxidized and this presents an interesting contrast.

I wish I had read the steeping directions more carefully and noticed that others have gotten so many steepings from their White Night. I steeped my sample for 3 minutes, which is far too long for a first steeping. I’m looking forward to trying some more of this but will be more careful how I use it.

Garret

Hi! Thanks for writing up all your thoughts on the various teas you have of ours. Sorry that they seem to not be living up to your expectations/taste. In regard to the white night tea, many will start with a first steeping of 5 to 8 minutes, so no worries as far as what is too long for a first steep, depending, I suppose on amount of leaf used. Enjoy!

I won’t even try to do this one justice. I had it a few times over the weekend and my dad kept going back to this one to drink it again and again. So i left some with him when we left. A better review will come later, promise :)

This was a tasty white tea! The majority of my tea drinking these days is done with my Mandala Tea thermos. I work full time, and I then immediately go to class after, which results in a lot of to-go tea drinking. Thus, I treasure teas that I can steep multiple times for long durations in my thermos. This tea definitely makes the cut! It was fruity and mellow, which is very relaxing. 2 thumbs up!

This is a high quality white tea. I do prefer the White Peony one that Mandala sales but this is a unique tea in that it will turn into a black tea if placed in storage. Its a complex tea flavor but overall a pleasant white tea.

I feel like this one is going waaaaaay over my head. It’s nice enough, it’s pleasant, but it’s SO light. It’s delicate and hay-like, sweet and creamy. The best description I can come up with is “coconut and cream”. Why coconut, I don’t know. It doesn’t taste like coconut but it reminds me of it, maybe because of the silky texture. I’m at a loss for words here. It’s nice, but it kind of leaves me wanting. I feel like I should be tasting much more than I actually am.

I’ll try a 4 minute steep instead of a 1-2 minute steep next time.

Flavors: Coconut, Cream, Hay, Sweet

I’ve been drinking this “grandpa style” in my thermos. Wonderful way to add tea to my routine when I don’t have time/facilities to brew other teas. It is amazing how a white tea can stand up to continuous infusion and deliver a tasty tea for hours. This tea has for sure earned it’s spot in my cupboard.

175 °F / 79 °C 8 min or more 3 g

This was included as a sample in my Mandala order. It is a very pretty tea with long, long leaves. There is a mild earthy quality and overall a mild flavor. It has a very smooth mouthfeel. Nothing I’ll keep in the cupboard but very pleased to have tried it.

boychik

If you still have leaves, leave them steeping in maybe 165F for 20 min. You will be surprised. Maybe even lower temp

Nicole

Unfortunately, I did it at work and while I did steep twice, I didn’t keep them. That sounds like a worthwhile experiment though…