Pure Buds Black

Baked Bread, Earth, Sweet, Sweet Potatoes, Honey, Malt, Mineral, Stonefruits, Toast, Cocoa, Fruity
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

Available from 1 seller.

From Mandala Tea

The highest grade spring buds turned into a black tea. Amazingly smooth and slightly sweet.

About Mandala Tea View company

This is the newest crop of Pure Bud, & I’d like to thank Garret for sending me a generous sample of it! I’m short on words to describe teas today, but this tea isn’t short of flavor, with a rich mouthfeel & the flavor of an excellent whole grain toast. It’s both sweet & savory, & the dry leaf is really pretty, I might add.

SIPDOWN TIME! This is a bit more “crusty” than the other cup I had…but it’s quite nice! Teas like this are making my day (as well as my many deadlines) possible!

I steeped this in my gaiwan and am blown away with how amazing it tastes. It has a delicious malty tone to it, sweet … but not too sweet. Very smooth, rich and robust. Notes of cocoa, but not an overly sweet cocoa taste. A fruit note in the background that is both sweet and sour. Slightly creamy, and absolutely wonderful… LOVE!

Another generous free sample from Mandala, packed with my last order. They are so nice.

As always, the dry leaf is long, unbroken, and beautiful, a light warm golden yellow. This one’s sweet but with a light airy sort of flavor. Slightly fruity in a bright way, but also quite silky, not at all fruit-tart astringent. There’s some dry wood fuzziness in the texture, a little powdery like sawdust—might sound ick to many but I like it just fine. I think this would be a good one to enjoy on one of the first sunny mornings of spring.

I like this tea. I really, really like it. I’m pretty challenged at describing black teas, since my favorites all seem to be varying proportions of ‘sweet,’ ‘malty,’ ‘smooth,’ and ‘raspy.’ And I like all of those things. I guess the trait my top three have is that those qualities are also ‘balanced.’ I’ve started my black tea explorations with Mandala, and my top three are this, Golden Needle, and Black Beauty. I think I slightly prefer Black Beauty to this because it has less astringency, though Pure Bud is gentle too. I will absolutely finish up this deliciousness, but I think one of the others will be my house black tea, at least for now.

Got a sample of this from kimquat a few months ago. Finally getting around to it.
This one is absolutely delicious!
Sweet potatoes…Baked bread…Ugh, so good!!
Hints of earthiness but hardly noticeable. Definitely another win! Probably something I’d consider ordering in the future even. :O
Thanks, kimquat!

Flavors: Baked Bread, Earth, Sweet, Sweet Potatoes

from the (Mostly) Unflavored TTB

Slightly underleafed but I took all that was left.

I did the three shorter steeps directions from the package, 1min, 2min, 5 min.

Malty. And then it got somewhat bready.

The third infusion finally did I get this cocoa flavor.

I’m not sure how I feel about this one.

Mmmmm! Thank you Cameron B. for the sample :)

I had a feeling I would love this one. It’s a very good black indeed. Nice and complex. My kind of tea!

Cameron B.

Its picture on Steepster doesn’t do it justice, either! :)

Stephanie

Agreed. It is a very CUTE tea!

Purchased this from kimquat in her stash sale (I sincerely hope that her name is Kim and people call her that in person, too cute)! I am continuing my quest to try all the Yunnans! Honestly, it doesn’t say where this tea is from on their website, but I was assuming Yunnan based on the appearance and the smell. The leaves are very long and slender, slightly twisted. It’s almost all fuzzy golden buds with some dark grey leaves mixed in. The smell is mild malty bread with honey and stonefruit notes. I did a 3 minute steep at 200 degrees. I’m always so tempted to overleaf these teas because when I get the leaf in, it looks like so little leaf!

The brewed aroma is all baked bread and malt with the same stonefruit and honey notes from the dry leaf. I catch a little nip of earthy, mineral scent. Mm, this is very delicious. The strongest flavor here is crusty bread and malt, yum yum yum. One of my very favorite notes in tea! This bread happens to be toasted with a little bit of honey and apricot preserve over the top. It’s very smooth and lovely with a silky mouthfeel. I do get that little bite of earthy and mineral somewhere near the end, and I think it adds a lovely dimension, even though earthy isn’t generally my favorite.

Yum yum delicious! Thanks kimquat!

Flavors: Baked Bread, Earth, Honey, Malt, Mineral, Stonefruits, Toast

Stephanie

Well that sounds delicious!

Om nom Yunnan! :P

Cameron B.

I have a couple of servings left if you want to try some. ;)

Wooooooot

Tea of the evening!

First steep, 1min.
It’s mellow, “bright”, and fruity on the front end. As other people have noted it’s both sweet and slightly sour, though not unpleasantly so. There are grainy, malty flavors on the back end with whispers of cocoa and a lingering honey sweetness.

Second steep, 2min.
A little vegetal on the front end. I’m not a huge fan of it. Mid-sip, it morphs into sweet potato and finishes on a juicy, fresh honey note. Some malt and light cocoa still present (though not overly so).

I think I might have used water that was a tad hot. There is a bit of drying astringency that hasn’t been there before. Oops!

I’m not sure what it is, but something about this tea doesn’t jive with me. Maybe it’s because it’s brightly flavored without being bold, or mellow without enough malt/chocolate. I can’t figure it out. I’ve had it many times before and each time it made me feel blasé. It’s a very nice tea but it’s not what I prefer. Oh, well.

Flavors: Cocoa, Fruity, Honey, Malt