Morning Sun

Malt, Cherry, Chocolate, Honey, Walnut, Baked Bread, Tobacco, Earth, Smoke, Smooth, Sweet, Smoked, Spices, Thick
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

Available from 1 seller.

• “It’s cloudy this morning and I did not sleep a wink last night, but must somehow get it together to go to work and toil away on a big, complicated project. Thanks to Mandala tea, I have my...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2816 tasting notes
  • “This tea is beautiful to look upon, & brews into a rich & resinous cup of tea whose rustic flavor reminds me somewhat of masa harina & fire roasted green chili’s. Very savory, but...” Read full tasting note
    terri-harplady 3252 tasting notes
  • “The leaves of this tea are beautiful. Rolled and all golden and black, amazing to look at. I’m not educated enough to understand what is going on in this one. It has the right mouth feel of...” Read full tasting note
    Dexter 998 tasting notes
  • “So i’m pretty sure my taste buds need a health check this morning. This came across as a smokey tea…more like a cross between a keemun and a lapsang. I don’t think it’s...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 7973 tasting notes

From Mandala Tea

Picked in the early spring, this black tea has been expertly crafted and processed by rolling the young leaf and bud sets into little pellets. Cast your eyes upon this tea and witness true tea art.
Rich and thick in aroma, this tea develops a sweet and smooth taste – strong and yet floral at once! What a way to start any day of your week. A real treasure!

About Mandala Tea View company

Thanks to Nicole for the sample!

This is a beautiful tea. The gold and black curled leafs are absolutely gorgeous both dry and wet/unfurled. I didn’t get my smell in the way of the dry leaf (possibly because it was just a sample size as opposed to a bag full) but the wet leaf smelled deliciously malty.

I brewed this first sample taste Western and did 3 steeps of 1,2, and 5. All three steeps were dark and flavorful. Malty and sweet, this tea was close to exactly what I wanted it to be. I would strongly consider buying an ounce or two of this tea.

Flavors: Malt

205 °F / 96 °C 1 min, 0 sec 3 g 8 OZ / 236 ML

I’m a big fan of dian hong! Morning Sun brews up a strong up which I like. I used roughly 8 oz of 200 F water for 1 heaping teaspoon. I wanted to be careful about the steeping time and did 90 seconds for the first steep. It was a strong, aromatic cup without much astringency. The amber color infusion tasted like honey, dark fruits, and malt. I could taste dark cherries, chocolate, and toasted walnuts.

Flavors: Cherry, Chocolate, Honey, Malt, Walnut

Backlog…I had this two days in a row, just one steep each, but each steep was the same leaves. I could not remember if this was a pu erh or a black, but upon tasting, I got really lovely thick and chocolatey notes, with a little bit of spice. It was really a pleasure to drink, and I need to try some in my gaiwan at some point. Though my gaiwan is so tiny that it hardly bears making anything in it because I only have the teeny weeny cups (3) or a regular tea cup size (and it would take like 2-3 steeps of the gaiwan to fill the tea cup). I think I need to find a drinking vessel somewhere in the middle, though I might just get a new gaiwan…I had no idea it was so small when I got it…but it is super cute and I love the design.

Anyway, many thanks to OMGsrsly for sharing this with me. It is really spectacular!

OMGsrsly

:) Glad you enjoyed!

I think my gaiwan is 3 tbsp… haha.

Another great sample from Nicole! Thank you! This one looks really similar to the Yunnan Sourcing sample of Black Gold that Nicole also sent. Hmm. There is plenty of gold here. It looks like a variation of a snail tea. Black and gold tight bundles that somehow artfully unravel into these huge leaves. The flavor is fantastic. The deep amber cup has all the characteristics I love in a black tea: at first it is floral or like wine, then there are slight pepper and smoky notes, while being malty, honey yet still rich. Hints of fruit. This is really somehow everything except a chocolate tea, which surprised me. It’s a very complex tea, very intoxicating and addicting. I think the favorite that I’ve tried from Mandala over the years. I probably didn’t need to use 1 1/2 teaspoons, one heaping teaspoon would do, but it was fantastic steeped this way anyway. Three solid steeps with none of that oversteeped oaky flavor some black teas tend to have. I’ll try the YS- Black Gold with these parameters.
Steep #1 // 1 1/2 teaspoons // 10 minutes after steeping // 2 minute steep
Steep #2 // 6 min a.b. // 2 min
Steep #3 // just boiled // 5+ min

Louise Li

That’s a very beautiful name for a tea, or any kind of product really :)

I judged this one incorrectly before I drank it…I read the descriptions on here and figured I wouldn’t like it, as smoky doesn’t really seem to be my thing. I was wrong, as I really enjoyed the smokiness, and I didn’t find it overwhelming at all. It’s a thick tea, with decent strength…nice for the morning, as the name indicates. Thanks for this sample, Nicole…great to broaden my horizons!

I’m tasting tobacco on the breath out. Way better than any morning cigarette I’ve ever had.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Malt, Tobacco

200 °F / 93 °C 3 min, 0 sec 2 g 8 OZ / 236 ML

This is a tasty tea. It is slightly malty. I am getting another note that I think is frequently described as baked bread. This is not as good as the one from Mandala I was drinking yesterday, I think that one was Black Gold.

I steeped this ono time in an 18oz teapot with 2 tsp leaf and boiling water for 1 min.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Malt

Boiling 1 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 18 OZ / 532 ML

Another one from Nicole!
This one wasn’t nearly as strong as the other one I had. In fact I had to drink like half the cup before realizing what it tasted like. Guess that’s what happens when you are eating food and drinking a new tea at the same time. xD
But eventually I could pick the flavors out.
The main note I got was earth, which I really dislike in teas. But there was a decent amount of honey flavors to not make the earthiness too overwhelming. Which is good. But overall, I wasn’t a huge fan. Those nature flavors are just killer for me apparently xD
Anyway, happy to have tried more teas from Mandala though! Thank you so much, Nicole!

Flavors: Earth, Honey

Kirkoneill1988

at first i thought it was a puehr

This is a tale of two teas, or at least two different approaches to the same tea. As an experiment, I tried Morning Sun twice on the same day, both times following Mandala’s recommendations, but once in a gaiwan and once Western style. The dry leaves, BTW are just lovely – an attractive mix of gold and dark curls and with a smokier tang than I expected. The gaiwan version (1 tsp, 208°, rinse/1’/2’/4’) was smoky but not too much with a slight sweetness at the back. Predictably, it faded by the third steep. The Western version (~2 tsp, 208°, 3½’) was the same but more so. I found this brew richer, softer, and with the smoke perfectly balanced with the sweet undertone. When I have the leisure to do so, I usually prefer gaiwan drinking. This one is a solid mugful.

Flavors: Honey, Smoke, Smooth, Sweet

Good morning Steepster! This sample came to me from Dexter. I’m excited to try this one, it’s been a while since I had a golden snail tea. These curls are about half to two-thirds golden, and they have a gentle bread and honey scent.

Wow, I was surprised by the aroma. I was expecting sweetness and bread, what I smell is decidedly savory with smoked food. And the taste is savory as well! Definitely different from other golden snails I’ve tried, or at least how I remember them tasting. It’s definitely a savory flavor, though there is some breadiness there. The main flavor for me is smoked meats along with a hint of pepper. I do pick up on some sweet honey notes also, especially in the aftertaste. Overall, it’s lovely, though not what I expected.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Honey, Malt, Smoked