400 gram Menku Gifting Raw

Pu-erh Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by ScottTeaMan

1 Tasting Note View all

• “Thanks to Mandala for sending me a sample of this tea. I wasn't able to get a better pic from the website so please feel free to update this if you'd like. After doing my taxes it has turned into...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2310 tasting notes

From Mandala Tea

This is one amazing cake of raw pu’er! We are so happy that we came across it while we were in China in ’08 and had a bunch shipped back to the US. Since that time, the flavors have really opened up. And to think that it will deepen even more over the years!

We like that it’s lighter compression has not only made for faster aging, but that it’s just so much easier to pry the leaves apart without unneccessarily breaking them.

This raw cake makes up a beautiful brew with a nice warm, amber color, a smooth green tea flavor and a slight hint of camphor and smoke in the aroma.

Also available in 1 ounce sample by choosing the one ounce option in the above drop-down menu!

About Mandala Tea View company

1 Tasting Note

Thanks to Mandala for sending me a sample of this tea. I wasn’t able to get a better pic from the website so please feel free to update this if you’d like.

After doing my taxes it has turned into a lazy tea drinking day but I am going out soon so might as well have another cup. :)

I decided to steep this in the gaiwan this afternoon which is my favorite method for trying pu-erhs. I did rinse this quickly and then steeped my first infusion for about 30 seconds at 190 F or so. The wet leaf smells slightly smoky and lemony.

My first sip and I’m thinking yum! Slightly woodsy with a hint of smoke. The flavor is slightly astringent but somehow moist at the same time and seems to end on a bit of a sweet note.

Second steep is also good, nice vegetal artichoke-y type notes in the flavor. I did have a gunpowder green earlier today and I’m noticing some similarities between the two especially as I’m picking up some gentle pungency with an almost brothlike thickness. Oddly enough I am not getting much camphor here.

Third steep I went for about 60 seconds or so. I am really enjoying this sheng. It is mildly stimulating and energizing but without the drying bitterness of some others I have had. Like a lot of raw pu-erhs it is slightly sour but delicious.

Fourth steep for 30 seconds or so. I’m getting some delicious and light corn type flavors. If you steep it for less time you don’t get as much sourness. I can’t help but wonder what this will be like as it ages.

I don’t think I can resist this for the price, I am going back to get an entire cake. :)