400 gram Menku Gifting Raw

Pu-erh Tea
Earth, Mushrooms, Smoke, Stonefruits
Edit tea info Last updated by ScottTeaMan

• “Thanks to Mandala for sending me a sample of this tea. I wasn't able to get a better pic from the website so please feel free to update this if you'd like. After doing my taxes it has turned into...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2542 tasting notes
  • “Backlog: I got a small amount of this tea on my last Mandala order. Some of the older raw Pu-erh's have a good energy buzz and yesterday I needed that. Dry it smelled really mushroomy . I...” Read full tasting note
    Ubacat 257 tasting notes

From Mandala Tea

This is one amazing cake of raw pu’er! We are so happy that we came across it while we were in China in ’08 and had a bunch shipped back to the US. Since that time, the flavors have really opened up. And to think that it will deepen even more over the years!

We like that it’s lighter compression has not only made for faster aging, but that it’s just so much easier to pry the leaves apart without unneccessarily breaking them.

This raw cake makes up a beautiful brew with a nice warm, amber color, a smooth green tea flavor and a slight hint of camphor and smoke in the aroma.

Also available in 1 ounce sample by choosing the one ounce option in the above drop-down menu!

About Mandala Tea View company

Thanks to Mandala for sending me a sample of this tea. I wasn’t able to get a better pic from the website so please feel free to update this if you’d like.

After doing my taxes it has turned into a lazy tea drinking day but I am going out soon so might as well have another cup. :)

I decided to steep this in the gaiwan this afternoon which is my favorite method for trying pu-erhs. I did rinse this quickly and then steeped my first infusion for about 30 seconds at 190 F or so. The wet leaf smells slightly smoky and lemony.

My first sip and I’m thinking yum! Slightly woodsy with a hint of smoke. The flavor is slightly astringent but somehow moist at the same time and seems to end on a bit of a sweet note.

Second steep is also good, nice vegetal artichoke-y type notes in the flavor. I did have a gunpowder green earlier today and I’m noticing some similarities between the two especially as I’m picking up some gentle pungency with an almost brothlike thickness. Oddly enough I am not getting much camphor here.

Third steep I went for about 60 seconds or so. I am really enjoying this sheng. It is mildly stimulating and energizing but without the drying bitterness of some others I have had. Like a lot of raw pu-erhs it is slightly sour but delicious.

Fourth steep for 30 seconds or so. I’m getting some delicious and light corn type flavors. If you steep it for less time you don’t get as much sourness. I can’t help but wonder what this will be like as it ages.

I don’t think I can resist this for the price, I am going back to get an entire cake. :)

Backlog: I got a small amount of this tea on my last Mandala order. Some of the older raw Pu-erh’s have a good energy buzz and yesterday I needed that.

Dry it smelled really mushroomy . I had to let my cat Amber smell the bag to see if she would like it like Chairman does. No deal. She was not interested. Darn!

I used 10 grams with 8 oz. Two quick rinses. First brewing was really strong. Only 15 sec at 200F but it had a strong woodsy, mushroomy flavour. A bit of smoke. I could detect the stone fruit in there as well. A very robust cup. Not my favourite but okay.

2nd infusion was for 20 sec. Already the smoke was becoming less as well as the mushroom.

By the fourth infusion it was much more to my taste. The stone fruit coming through much stronger with only light mushroom notes and hardly any smoke left.

I had a cup this morning too and it keeps getting better.

This tea does have good Cha Qui. Yesterday it helped pick me up and keep me focused. I am finding the hearty shengs seem have the better Cha Qui although for each sheng the energy is different. I prefer not to stick a rating on this one right now as my tastes change over time and it could become a favourite. For now I am finding it a bit strong but next time I have it will use less tea.

Flavors: Earth, Mushrooms, Smoke, Stonefruits