Black Beauty

Malt, Sweet, Chocolate, Roasted, Tannin, Baked Bread, Floral, Grain, Honey, Cocoa, Earth, Stonefruits, Apricot, Caramel, Dark Bittersweet
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

Available from 1 seller.

From Mandala Tea

Black Beauty is a very fitting name for this wonderful tea! If you are a fan of Keemun style black teas, you will want to try this one. Most of our customers and myself, now prefer this over the Keemun black. It is wonderfully sweet, almost chocolatey and little to no astringency present!

The tea liquor is clear and longer steepings will give it a slightly red hue.

About Mandala Tea View company

I won’t try to describe the taste – that has been very well accomplished by others, so I second them all. What I can add is that in today’s black tea face off, it easily beats Black Gold for me, as the bold but sweet flavor/no astringency combination is knocking my socks off. This will have to square off against yesterday’s Golden Needle, and I suspect it will win there too. (I am not a huge black tea fan, so, with the exception of some flavored varieties, yeah, I’m really just looking to keep one or two black teas around.) UPDATE: Very strange. Most black teas make me feel stressed and panicky, but no such effect with this one.

This is a lovely black tea. It’s different than my favorite Mandala black, Black Gold, but unique to itself. Very malty and fragrant, with hints of subtle sweetness.

Flavors: Apricot, Baked Bread, Caramel, Earth, Malt

I am not sure whether to call this tea sweet and malty or malty and sweet. One note is slightly more powerful than the other, not sure which. It is not one of those malty teas where all you taste is overpowering malt. I like this tea. It is good.

I brewed this once in an 18oz teapot with 3 tsp leaf and boiling water for 1 min.

Flavors: Malt, Sweet

Boiling 1 min, 0 sec 3 tsp 18 OZ / 532 ML

The older I get, the less I enjoy sugar. It’s even gotten to the point these days where I barely like chocolate. Any kind of sugar just leaves this sour, chemical taste in my mouth. Does anyone else experience this?

Black Beauty is like how I remember chocolate tasting. Wonderful and dark, without any off flavors. I tasted this tea in my mouth for almost an hour afterwards – and the whole time, it felt like eating chocolate.

Flavors: Chocolate

205 °F / 96 °C 3 min, 15 sec 2 g 8 OZ / 236 ML

I got a tea tray for Christmas! My first! And it’s beautiful! I put it on my wishlist, and my secret Santa (my grandma) got it for me! I was worried too, because when I looked at the site recently, it said it was sold out! My grandma’s got great taste! :D Of course the amazing Garret included a hand-written note and two tea samples, one of which was this beauty!

This tea is so fruity! It reminds me of TeaVivre’s nonpareil yunnan dian hong ancient wild tree. It’s also nicely malty with some honey notes. So good, and so pretty! Here are some pics of my session:

Nicole

that is a gorgeous tray!

Tealizzy

Thanks, Nicole! I just saw that Dragon Tea House also has it if anyone’s interested.

LiberTEAS

It’s beautiful. Your grandma’s got really great taste!

K S

Pretty

Fjellrev

Gorgeous tea tray! I agree that she has great taste.

This sample came from Dexter! She was kind enough to send me two of Mandala’s black teas that I’ve been curious about for a while now. This one has very dark brown leaves that are thin and somewhat twisty. Some of them look more like oxidized oolong leaves than black tea.

So I confess, I let this cup cool far too much while I was catching up on the late night/morning activity on Steepster (and checking whether T2 has cheaper US shipping now that there’s a store in the US). But it’s still super tasty even through it’s basically room temperature now! It’s rich and savory, almost like a meal in a cup. It’s difficult for me to describe without saying something that other people will find unappetizing, like smoked meat… There’s also a bit of a roasty note here and a strong sense of bread and grains. Very yummy and satisfying in the morning!

Flavors: Baked Bread, Floral, Grain, Honey, Malt, Roasted

greenteafairy

Oh wow, I didn’t realize T2 had opened up here! I’m going to have to check the new shop out soon.

Cameron B.

I still need to go to NYC! :P

Cheri

Okay, I feel stupid, but T2?

Cameron B.

It’s an Australian company that has some tasty-sounding teas, but the international shipping is $15 or something.

It has been a while since I’ve had an unflavored black tea and this is a tasty one to come back to. Although I probably shouldn’t be drinking this right before going to bed..

It smells like any other black tea but it’s flavors are much deeper. It has an underlying sweetness and chocolate to it with a nice mouth feel. Not too bitter. I highly enjoyed this and I’m going to resteep those leaves in the morning for my commute.

Terri HarpLady

This really is a lovely tea :)

Megan

Had it again this morning! Soo good.

Hm…this one is interesting. Not sure how I feel about it. Not a favorite, but it’s interesting.
Cocoa, chocolate, and earth are the main things I’m tasting.
Really strong.
I just have no idea how to feel about this one. xD Feeling a little stumped from it…but it’s interesting. Glad I got to try it. Maybe I’ll figure out what I think when I re-steep it.
Thanks for the sample, Sarsonator! :D

Flavors: Chocolate, Cocoa, Earth

Sweet and toasty with a fruity spiciness; a bit like rye bread and jam. Also notes of cocoa with a wee hint of earthiness.
Very delicious, with a lovely resteep.

Note: I did resteep some of this the other day, probably a third time when I knew it would be weak but just wanted something nice and warm anyway, and although it was weaker as expected, there was a bit of a licorice/fennel-type note which I hadn’t tasted before – still pleasant, and made an interesting and comforting cup that I enjoyed.

Hoping to get a chance to try my pu’er sampler soon. :)

205 °F / 96 °C 2 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
Terri HarpLady

One of the teas I drank today, rich & sweet :)

caile

Yes, you had some good teas today! :)

ashmanra

That sounds amazing!

Terri HarpLady

I’m pretty sure this is my favorite black tea from Mandala :)

So this tea went down in the following way:

TTF posted about it this AM, so I made one cup made with a one minute steep time. Then I made two more cups (2 and 4 min steeps), and put them in a travel mug.

Then I promptly left the travel mug at home when I left to go hiking with Brian. We hiked and picked wineberries. We filled all of our containers and the shrubberies were still completely full. It was glorious! Here’s a small portion of our haul:

We saw some turks cap lillies:
and some beautiful streams:

When we finally arrived home, I reheated the two cups of tea. Normally I don’t like to do this, but I also hate wasting tea. Anyways, it’s still delicious. What an interesting tea! It’s very obviously sweet, and no additives are required. Perfect for a little pick me up before our friends arrive for Sunday TV night. It’s also a perfect compliment to the lovely thunderstorm currently raging through the city.

mj

Nice pictures! That stream is gorgeous! And now I know what a wineberry looks like heh. Enjoy your Sunday TV night :)

Sarsonator

Yeah, they pretty much look like shiny raspberries, but they have their own flavor. Thanks! I hope we don’t lose power!

mrmopar

Wine berries make some good jelly. 2 gallons in the freezer already. Our season is about over though.

MzPriss

I want wineberries.

Sarsonator

Oh wow! 2 gallons!!! We got closer to 1 gallon. Gotta bring more containers next year!!!

Do you guys have those in TX, MzP?

MzPriss

I don’t think so. I’ve never heard of them before. But they are so pretty and luscious looking.

Sarsonator

I guess they’re a northeast thing. Originally from China, though.