Black Beauty

Apricot, Dark Bittersweet, Honey, Jam, Cocoa, Dark Chocolate, Floral, Grain, Herbaceous, Mineral, Roasted, Smooth, Stonefruits, Malt, Sweet, Chocolate, Tannin, Baked Bread, Earth, Caramel
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

Available from 1 seller.

From Mandala Tea

Black Beauty is a very fitting name for this wonderful tea! If you are a fan of Keemun style black teas, you will want to try this one. Most of our customers and myself, now prefer this over the Keemun black. It is wonderfully sweet, almost chocolatey and little to no astringency present!

The tea liquor is clear and longer steepings will give it a slightly red hue.

About Mandala Tea View company

I won’t try to describe the taste – that has been very well accomplished by others, so I second them all. What I can add is that in today’s black tea face off, it easily beats Black Gold for me, as the bold but sweet flavor/no astringency combination is knocking my socks off. This will have to square off against yesterday’s Golden Needle, and I suspect it will win there too. (I am not a huge black tea fan, so, with the exception of some flavored varieties, yeah, I’m really just looking to keep one or two black teas around.) UPDATE: Very strange. Most black teas make me feel stressed and panicky, but no such effect with this one.

This is a lovely black tea. It’s different than my favorite Mandala black, Black Gold, but unique to itself. Very malty and fragrant, with hints of subtle sweetness.

Flavors: Apricot, Baked Bread, Caramel, Earth, Malt

Thank you for including a sample of this one, Nicole! The large wirey leaves have hints of brown to them. The brew is a pale brown. The flavor is pretty unique, but not strong enough for me (I don’t think I’ve slept very well in the last few days and I’m TRYING to avoid caffeine at night). There is a bright fruit flavor that is unique to this one… almost citrusy even, but mostly stonefruits. But it could be the tangy quality found in those ancient wild tree teas. Also, a bready fragrance to the dry leaf and hints of that in the flavor. Otherwise it tastes half like keemun and half like one of those Zheng Shan Xiao Zhong teas. (All three have a slight smoky quality to them.) I wish I could describe this one more, but I don’t think I’m quite awake while tasting. I definitely didn’t get chocolate notes – maybe because 1 1/2 teaspoons isn’t enough to get the chocolate notes but I used the entire sample I had. The second steep tasted almost exactly the same even though steeped completely differently.
Steep #1 // 1 1/2 teaspoons // 8 minutes after boiling // 1- 1 1/2 minute steep
Steep #2 // few minutes after boiling // 3-4 min

Nicole

I wasn’t very generous with my Mandala samples… those fall into my hoarding/every day teas category of stash. I want people to try them to see if they like them enough to buy their own, but I didn’t want to run myself out of any of them. :) Talk to me after the next sale that I can’t resist and I may be willing to part with more for experimentation. :)

tea-sipper

Oh but you were very generous! I completely understand with hoarding your favorites. :D I am extremely grateful to try one serving samples!

I really wanted to like this tea, but the more I drink black/red teas the more I like my cocoa-y…

Unfortunately, this is just a black tea with no real notes to pick out. Smooth, for sure, but doesn’t stand out. I do like how it is pure and not dry nor bitter.

Also: After this person near me has asked 4x to come drink tea with me and then cancelling they told me they are not interested anymore… I really dislike how I put a lot of time and set aside teas for them, but they just don’t take it serious after stringing me around.

Oh ,wow, this one is wonderful. Reminds me of an Oriental Beauty I bought recently, but with slight bitterness — not bad bitterness, though. Apricots, honey, jam… Will definitely purchase again.

Flavors: Apricot, Dark Bittersweet, Honey, Jam

This was a sample in my last Mandala order! I can’t believe it took me this long to try it.

Method:
2tsp/10oz
Preboiling
Rinse: 5sec
First steep: 1min 30sec
Second steep: 1min 45sec
Third steep: 2min

Wow, this tea is intensely sweet! I usually add a smidge of sugar to my cup but the first steep was almost too sweet to drink. It has a very soft, smooth texture. It’s silky without a hint of astringency. The tea is gently floral, medium bodied, and has the taste of both honey and dark chocolate. There is also the suggestion of fruit but it isn’t fully developed yet. It really emerges in the second steep as a thick, jammy sort of flavor that’s like stone fruit and apricot. Cocoa and roast are the notes that follow. This tea is also earthy in a way that’s herbaceous—not like wood, or leaves, or mushrooms. It leaves a mineral note on my tongue after sipping. There are similarities between this tea and a high quality Keemun, but it lacks the characteristic smoky notes and is more honey/caramel than sweet potato. In my final steep cocoa, roast, and apricot are the dominant notes. There is a delicious syrupy caramel-honey finish that makes my tongue tingle like I’m sipping something carbonated. That completely caught me off guard. I’ve only experienced it maybe once, or twice with different teas. It has an indescribable “bubbliness” to it. Mineral and stone fruits remain in the aftertaste, though my tongue is still tingling. This tea was absolutely delightful! I’ll have to pick some up in my next order.

Flavors: Apricot, Cocoa, Dark Chocolate, Floral, Grain, Herbaceous, Honey, Jam, Mineral, Roasted, Smooth, Stonefruits

Terri HarpLady

I’m missing this tea from my collection, having polished off the last of it a few weeks ago. I think I feel a Mandala order coming soon, because this is a black tea to truly love!

i REALLY want another mandala order aslong with a few others but i’m REALLY trying to wait…not to mention i have my most recent mandala order waiting to be opened for when i gt get a few more teas cleared…though i’m sharing a bunch of mandala with courtney this week so that will mean an order sooner mwahahahaha

Terri HarpLady

mwahahahaha

I am not sure whether to call this tea sweet and malty or malty and sweet. One note is slightly more powerful than the other, not sure which. It is not one of those malty teas where all you taste is overpowering malt. I like this tea. It is good.

I brewed this once in an 18oz teapot with 3 tsp leaf and boiling water for 1 min.

Flavors: Malt, Sweet

Boiling 1 min, 0 sec 3 tsp 18 OZ / 532 ML

The older I get, the less I enjoy sugar. It’s even gotten to the point these days where I barely like chocolate. Any kind of sugar just leaves this sour, chemical taste in my mouth. Does anyone else experience this?

Black Beauty is like how I remember chocolate tasting. Wonderful and dark, without any off flavors. I tasted this tea in my mouth for almost an hour afterwards – and the whole time, it felt like eating chocolate.

Flavors: Chocolate

205 °F / 96 °C 3 min, 15 sec 2 g 8 OZ / 236 ML

I got a tea tray for Christmas! My first! And it’s beautiful! I put it on my wishlist, and my secret Santa (my grandma) got it for me! I was worried too, because when I looked at the site recently, it said it was sold out! My grandma’s got great taste! :D Of course the amazing Garret included a hand-written note and two tea samples, one of which was this beauty!

This tea is so fruity! It reminds me of TeaVivre’s nonpareil yunnan dian hong ancient wild tree. It’s also nicely malty with some honey notes. So good, and so pretty! Here are some pics of my session:

Nicole

that is a gorgeous tray!

Tealizzy

Thanks, Nicole! I just saw that Dragon Tea House also has it if anyone’s interested.

LiberTEAS

It’s beautiful. Your grandma’s got really great taste!

K S

Pretty

Fjellrev

Gorgeous tea tray! I agree that she has great taste.

This sample came from Dexter! She was kind enough to send me two of Mandala’s black teas that I’ve been curious about for a while now. This one has very dark brown leaves that are thin and somewhat twisty. Some of them look more like oxidized oolong leaves than black tea.

So I confess, I let this cup cool far too much while I was catching up on the late night/morning activity on Steepster (and checking whether T2 has cheaper US shipping now that there’s a store in the US). But it’s still super tasty even through it’s basically room temperature now! It’s rich and savory, almost like a meal in a cup. It’s difficult for me to describe without saying something that other people will find unappetizing, like smoked meat… There’s also a bit of a roasty note here and a strong sense of bread and grains. Very yummy and satisfying in the morning!

Flavors: Baked Bread, Floral, Grain, Honey, Malt, Roasted

greenteafairy

Oh wow, I didn’t realize T2 had opened up here! I’m going to have to check the new shop out soon.

Cameron B.

I still need to go to NYC! :P

Cheri

Okay, I feel stupid, but T2?

Cameron B.

It’s an Australian company that has some tasty-sounding teas, but the international shipping is $15 or something.