Golden Turtle

Oolong Tea
Creamy, Floral, Flowers, Vanilla, Vegetables, Vegetal, Butterscotch, Marshmallow
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

Available from 1 seller.

From Mandala Tea

This lightly oxidized oolong comes to us from the Fujian province of China, an area where many of our favorite oolongs are grown, including Tie Guan Yin. This leaf was picked in the spring of 2009 and is of very high quality. Its flavor is smooth and sweet with an aroma sometimes reminiscent of famous Taiwanese grown oolongs. A rich, nutty aftertaste with no astringency sometimes present in Tie Guan Yin.

This oolong is sure to please lovers of Fujian produced oolongs. This is the best Huang Jin Gui we have sold to date!

Basic Brewing Instructions:

Oolong should be given a 10-15 second rinse with the same temperature water as used for brewing.
195˚ F water temperature.
Use 1 teaspoon per 8oz. of filtered water
Recommended first steeping of30 seconds. Add 30 seconds for each subsequent infusion up to 3 minutes.
Tea brewing is meant to be a joyful exploration. There are no hard and fast rules. Experiment with the quantity of tea that you use, and steeping times. Enjoy discovering what your preferences are. They may change day to day.
See Tea Brewing 101 for further instructions.
The Gongfu Cha Method is our prefered style of brewing oolong teas.

About Mandala Tea View company

Azzrian Thanks so much for a bit of this one!

GOLDEN is right! It infuses to a Golden Color – there isn’t a better word to describe it, really. It’s beautiful!

The aroma is a little floral and a little savory, even.

The flavor is wonderful, too! It’s a neat buttery-broth texture with a slightly floral/slightly vegetal taste paired with that broth-likeness!

I could easily drink this all day!

I am so happy that you enjoyed this tea! Whenever I am in Kunming, I have tea with the son of the man who grows this tea for us! It is great stuff!

ooooh, very nice mandala! simply complex.

very smooth, reminiscent of a tie guan in, or yellow…… i really don’t think i would have guessed it was anykind of oolong had it not been on the packaging. robust but in a light hearted kind of way.

on a completely separate note, i wanted to thank your group for your product excellence. i had lunch with my mum today. often we don’t get on, but life has been a bit tough on her lately and the place where we meet always has great food but ghastly tropical flavoured bagged green teas. i brought my bag of yellow buds with me and made her a pot at the table. she loved it! she was very surprised at the steep time, the colour, the taste. i know things are going to be difficult in her life for a while longer, so i sent her home with the tea and told her i’d get her more when she ran out.

your company really is a class act. and while my mother doesn’t know you at all, on behalf of us both i will thank you.

i find these days i bounce between paris (mariage and dammann) complexity and manadala’s understated simplicity. but that’s like calling a circle simple to someone whose only ever drawn straight lines. thank you for the introspectively quiet circle.

most sincerely, james.

James, thank you so much for not only taking time to write the reviews, but for the kind words about our humble endeavor here at Mandala Tea. I am honored to have earned such accolades from you. This makes my day. Truly.

most welcome and well earned, garret.

Thanks to Azzrian for this sample! I am always interested in new oolong varietals, especially unroasted ones from Fujian/Anxi.

The steeped tea smells floral and buttery but also with a good helping of vegetal. The flavor is nice, very buttery. Slightly buttered vegetables, if they were also steamed with flowers to impart a floral note. The florals are especially prominant in the aftertaste. Almost sweet but not quite. I am quite enjoying this one! It is a really great example of the kind of oolong that are my favorite. At least that is one category I seem to have gotten pretty figured out.

I don’t remember trading or having any of this. It must have been from someone else. :)

You are indeed right. Too many swaps, all the stuff is mixed up! :)

Mmmm, good oolong. Thanks for giving me this one forever ago Dinosara! I have one cup left :)

Floral, nutty, creamy. . .my type of oolong!

oh man, when I said that to my self in my head, I thought of the recent toaster strudel commercials. Please do not read the above in the voice of the creepy little boy from those commercials! lol

Thanks for sharing this tea with me stephanie. i love it! :)

lol toaster strudels

So glad you enjoyed it!

A big thanks to Beorhthraefn for so generously including a sample of this with the tea I bought from the stash sale.

This was wonderful. I got 30 mins to sit, read, and drink tea last night. This was a floral, very green oolong that was also very sweet. The first infusion it was always like someone had added sugar to my cup. It had almost like a touch of caramel. I only got through 3 infusions before it was time to hit the sack, but I brought the leaves with me today to resteep at work western style.

Pleased to hear it was so well-received!

If you have this tea I ask you to please make it to steep 6… it’s almost like some butterscotch candy was extracted and injected into the tea before it was plucked only to be detected when a tea has really been under stress of hot water multiple times.

Casually sipping on this and then came back to it for a sixth steeping which is rather long for an oolong and I, and B O O M out f no where it just impressed me with the complete new flavor that decided to come out of nowhere. It’s kind of rude for someone to hide when you play with their friend five different times, but whatever… I will forgive the green means to happiness in this case. This was much better than censored which is good to experience because I had thought that these type of oolong (oxidization and area) might not be something I enjoyed; fun to be proven wrong :)

Daylon R Thomas

I’ve been pretty curious about that one.

I’m multitasking while reviewing this tea. Sometimes need to get in what I can while the babe is asleep. Lots of good vegetal notes in this one.

Soo umm I think I got this from TheLastDodo? Correct me if I’m wrong! But I’m pretty sure you sent it to me…but our swap was a while ago and I have a horrible memory :S
Been wanting to try this one for a while, it’s always perked my interest.
When it was steeping the aroma was kinda creamy, and reminded me of a milk oolong, or just a really creamy oolong that makes me sick…
So wasn’t sure what to think.
But when it cooled off enough to let me drink it, I was surprised by it so much!
There’s a little vegetable flavor going on, along with some floral flavor, and while there is some creaminess, it’s not the normal creaminess I usually taste in oolongs that make me sick. It actually kinda tasted like vanilla. I thought that the flavors for this tea seemed odd when I looked it up to see the steeping time. Didn’t think I’d taste most of those. But I totally tasted vanilla. Never tasted an oolong quite like this before!
But I’m definitely impressed!
The best tea from Mandala Tea I’ve ever tried. So glad I got to try it!
I mean, I’m not sure I’d buy it since the vanilla/creamy flavor balances out the others, and I’m kinda nervous that it would make me sick. Stupid creamy/milky oolongs make me nervous anymore!
But wouldn’t mind getting more through a swap or something one day in the future. It’s definitely an odd tea, but I kinda like it. Definitely unique! And a good unique too! :D
Thank you sooo much for letting me try this, TheLastDodo!! Or if it was someone else thank you for letting me try it! So excited!:D :D :D

Flavors: Creamy, Floral, Flowers, Vanilla, Vegetables, Vegetal

Gongfu cha 15, 20, 40…
This is a pretty tea. It has very intense, exotic aromas of butter rum, vanilla and marshamallow; almost like a pina colada. It is a clean cup with some grassy flavors + white chocolate and finishes with slight apricot. it has a very slight bitterness on the end. This tea is less impressive on the mouth than it is on the nose.

Flavors: Butterscotch, Marshmallow, Vanilla