"Heart of the Old Tree" Sheng Pu'er 2012

Pu-erh Tea
Sweet, Honey
Edit tea info Last updated by Garret

• “I have not been taking the time to sit quietly and resteep tea, focusing on the experience. Tonight I remedied that with a long and fruitful gong fu session with this tea. It looks like I am...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1796 tasting notes
  • “I'm by no means a sheng expert but this is a really nice raw pu-erh, down to the lovely paper it comes in. I did a quick rinse and then ended up steeping this for around 45 seconds. I'm getting...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2304 tasting notes
  • “Final tea of the day, I reached in the sheng box, & this one came out! The initial aroma of the warmed leaf was sweet & a little fruity. It brought nectarines to mind for me, although I can't say...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 2855 tasting notes
  • “Post hike noms The berries this year are just awesome in PA! Check out some of our blueberry haul https://www.flickr.com/photos/124304184@N02/14514940398/ I love this particular state park...” Read full tasting note
    Sarsonator 153 tasting notes

From Mandala Tea

From high atop Nan Mei Village, hails this Mandala Tea exclusive sheng pu’er cake. We were fortunate to visit this farm and walk among the 300-400 year old trees from which this leaf was picked! In China, this is called Gu Shu Cha or “Old Tree Tea”.

This is spring 2012 material, first flush – clean growing area, ZERO sprays, very high-altitude. There is a photo included that we took while we were hiking through the old trees being guided by the grower, Mr Wei!

As we prepare this, we are transported back to our time on that mountain, drinking in the crisp, clean air and drinking the freshly processed mao cha and sipping with old (and new) friends.

In the aroma of the tea liquor, we smell thick caramel and sugar cane while a gentle breeze blows in hints of a distant campfire where the sweetness of burning birchwood is evident. But this tea is far from what we would call smoky. Get out your aroma cups and check this one for yourself. In later infusions, we find wonderful floral notes lingering.

The flavor is full on the tongue, a butteriness present while the salivary glands are treated to a subtle cleansing. Slightly vegetal, (sweeter if you are using lower water temps – we use boiling), almost no grassiness. Later steepings bring out a High Mountain Taiwanese oolong quality to the flavor. We look forward to watching the years pass for this one.

We named this tea due to the effect we feel in our body/mind. This tea is definitely one to help remove stagnancy in the meridians and we feel it most in the heart energy. The cha qi (tea energy) courses through the body and creates a feeling of “calm vibrancy”, quite noticeable in the heart center.

About Mandala Tea View company

I have not been taking the time to sit quietly and resteep tea, focusing on the experience. Tonight I remedied that with a long and fruitful gong fu session with this tea. It looks like I am going to try it once a year until the cake is gone! I got out a knife but the cake is loosely compressed and I realized I could just break off a chunk with my hands rather easily. Yay! I plan to order a breaking tray from Garrett really soon.

For such a young sheng, this is very drinkable. My favorite steeps were the later ones, and I actually felt almost as if I were drinking warm wine. About five steeps in I heard my stomach start gurgling. Ah yes, the tea was working its magic! Puerh usually gives me the gurgles and it makes my tummy happy.

This was a fabulous way to end a nice day of shopping out of town with hubby, and technically, also a nice way to start Tuesday since technically it is after midnight now! This is tasting more like white wine with each steep and especially as the temperature is dropping.

I think I am on steep eleven and still going. There is a lot of flavor here. I will probably wait a year again to taste it and experience it!

Stephanie

I’ve been wanting to taste this one! :D

Awkward Soul

I just got mine in the mail today, I can’t wait to try it!

ashmanra

Oh, I can’t wait to hear what you think of it, Awkward Soul!

Garret

Thank you for the review!! I CANNOT wait to introduce everyone to the new pressings that are being done by me right now, either. This Heart of the Old Tree is really going to begin opening up in this next year and I’ll never forget the tea farm and tasting the mao cha there. More to come! Grateful to each of you, Garret

woohoo!

gmathis

Yesterday I made some clever comment about this name reminding me of Ents and it never posted…then again, maybe it wasn’t so clever and it’s better that it didn’t :)

Terri HarpLady

GG, I love that! Ents! Love em!

ashmanra

LOL! I love it! You know, someone posted a recipe online for the Ent Draught and I thought it really just needed to be a good, smooth sheng puerh!

Awkward Soul

I get around to steeping Heart of the Old Tree I’m now gonna think of drinking giant walking trees, LOL

I’m by no means a sheng expert but this is a really nice raw pu-erh, down to the lovely paper it comes in.

I did a quick rinse and then ended up steeping this for around 45 seconds. I’m getting a very vegetal taste, kind of bold and assertive like a gunpowder tea but with a slightly effervescent or fizzy taste on the tongue. It does have the slight sourness I’ve come to associate with young shengs and also has a woodsy flavor.

My second steep, I meant to steep it for a short period of time but I ended up forgetting about it. It was a little too strong to drink!

My third steep is a little bit better, it’s now starting to get kind of mellow and sweeter but still with the vegetal quality. I think it has a hint of smokiness too. I think this will age really well but don’t know if I will be able to keep it long enough to age!

I notice Garret’s tasting note claims this tea is good for stagnancy and the heart meridian, it definitely seems to be waking me up and helping me to feel calm and entered. I am not a morning person and suffer from sleepiness a lot so this has gotten me right and chipper!

I need to go but will enjoy a few more steeps of it this afternoon. It’s a lovely sheng.

Garret

Too funny that I began my day with a session of this tea prior to meditation this morning. Yes… these pretty much just arrived and this is as young as it gets. When I prepare this tea, I begin with steepings at 15-20 for the first 2-4 steeps, then slowly increase from there.

There are times, though, that I desire for this tea to come on very strong and use full boil (as I do with the mao cha of this same leaf)… lots of leaf, full tongue watering strength. I find this quite invigorating and it opens the tastebuds to all kinds of other flavors I would otherwise miss.

I can’t wait to here more from you about this tea, if you get the chance. I’m having a ball with it and I’m already planning on buying this farms first flush next spring to do another pressing of this tea.

Also… the compression on this cake, as I’m sure you noticed is quite tight. Traditional stone pressing will do that. As this ages, that compression will loosen. Even in the next few months as the tea dries a bit more, the compression will change.

When I taste this tea or smell it, for that matter, I am transported right back to this tea farm and I just sit and smile! Just like I do when I think of you :)

Bright blessings!

Bonnie

I’ve really got to try mandala tea!!!

Azzrian

Yes Bonnie, you really DO!

TeaBrat

Final tea of the day, I reached in the sheng box, & this one came out!
The initial aroma of the warmed leaf was sweet & a little fruity. It brought nectarines to mind for me, although I can’t say that it actually smelled like nectarines.
I didn’t actually document my steepings on this, but I started with 4G, rinsed, & kept it short for awhile. The primary taste I’m getting is Grape peels, with a little bitterness, but as I said before, my allergies are horrendous right now, so I can’t really tell you if it is bitter or not, & my guess is that it is not. But it does have a bright grape/citrus edge to it. Otherwise, it’s smooth & a little sweet, kind of spring like, if that makes sense.
I’m several steeps in now, & picking up on a floral quality that reminds me of Lavender, kind of. And also apricot – kind of tangy!
This is from a sample that our awesome friend Garret sent to me awhile back. I have just enough for one more session, so I’m putting it in the official sipdown cannister, where I’m collecting teas for my upcoming Sipdown Extravaganza!.

Add on: The energy of this tea is very ‘open’, as in opening of the chakras & such. I can feel my energy field clearing, something I really need today. Gratitude. Breathing deep.

Day 2: Revisiting this yixing somemore today, after a quick rinse. It’s light & fruity & I love it.

Stephanie

Yum! Want!

TeaExplorer

Added to my list!

Post hike noms

I love this particular state park because you have to drive up a mountain to get there, and it all looks like random shrubberies from afar, but then you get up close and realize that the whole mountain is covered in wild blueberry and huckleberry plants. THEN you hike elsewhere in PA and realize that many PA state parks are covered with these shrubs!

And then you get home and drink this and feel your happy tea buzz!!!!

And then you realize you’ve never rated any tea 100, and if any tea is it, this is the one. So you fix it. :p

<3 HOTOT

Cameron B.

Yum, I absolutely love blueberries! I need to come visit you so we can go pick some, lol. I’ve never had a huckleberry though.

This is the “hot cowboy” right? :P

Sarsonator

Have you ever been out blueberry picking? There’s something about DIY berries that makes them better than store bought, IMO. Fresh from the shrubberies!!!!

This is the one and only hot cowboy!!!

Haha! Many things I love about this review:

1) you went hiking
2) you got beautiful berries and you shared wonderful pics with us
3) you drank hot cowboy and gave it 100…

I’d say you’ve had the perfect day :-)

Sarsonator

It’s been a sheng day!!!! I wish I didn’t have to work tomorrow!!!! I want to wake up and drink tea all day instead! :p

MzPriss

Those berries are preeeeety. I need to try my Hot Cowboy.

Do it!!! We should have a little HOTOT party later

And I should have stayed in bed today….

MzPriss

Why stayed in bed? The morning just started – can’t be that bad yet. Can it?

Sarsonator

People are just working my nerves, pumpkin pie. I will live! I can’t be sad for long. I have good tea to look forward to later!!!!

MzPriss

I always dread Mondays. I have meetings ALL day today.

Sarsonator

Eeeeew, sorry!!!! I only have one mtg, but it’s a doozy. I’m going to need a drink stronger than tea after that one.

TheTeaFairy

Ok, you two, sending you the best vibes from my good vibe purse. Hope your day can go easily so we can all have Hot cowboy tonight together…sweeeet!

Sarsonator

You are the sweetest!!!!! I’m taking a deep breath… Only 4 hours left and then Brian is taking me out for dinner and a couple beers and then I am going to make some HOTOT and relax!!!!!

MzPriss

Last meeting done – home early – MIGHTY mail day! Hot Cowboy will be good this evening – I slept the other night after shenging so I’m gonna go for it. I have a bunch of new sheng y’all

Sarsonator

Awesome!!!!! You’re in sheng city, baby YEAH!

TheTeaFairy

Like Austin Powers would say: wanna sheng now or sheng later???

MzPriss

All shenged UP! Except it has just been pointed out to me that I need more.

TheTeaFairy

(Huh??? Don’t know what you’re talking about…)

(looks at you)

I wanna sheng now!!!

MzPriss

me too! And I’m home and I can…

TheTeaFairy

Lol, I can’t sheng on an empty stomach, go ahead, I’ll join in later :-)

MzPriss

We can wait for you. I should eat too or it will be bad. Also, I may have gotten some (more) WM mao cha…

Sarsonator

I will be home in 30 or so. I’m gonna sheng and season!!!!

MzPriss

OK – I will go get something to eat then.

Cwyn

I just got a sample of this cake today in the mail. woot!

@Cwyn – join us for a Hot Cowboy date later

TheTeaFairy

Hehe… Virtual tea dates are fun!

MzPriss

I just broke into my Hot Cowboy cake so he will be ready for our date

TheTeaFairy

I have my set up ready too :-)

MzPriss

What are temp parameters?

MzPriss

I will use my wee new tray

TheTeaFairy

Theres none…I do mine at 195. And yay for wee tray!

MzPriss

I will make a thread for our Hot Cowboy date – kind of like we did for the moon party.

I am using 3.3 g in 3 oz at 200

MzPriss

OK. gonna go make the thread

My first Pu’er, courtesy of Garret. The family gathered around for this one, so I brought out the teapot and yeah. I don’t have a gong fu set, so we had them in western-sized cups. First thing I noticed was that despite the minute amount of leaf we put in (a lot less than 1 tsp) and the proportionally big amount of water (around 350ml), it still smelled sweet.

It tasted sweet too, in a nice, very subtle kind of way. Compared to the Darjeeling, which has a stronger flavour, say… it’s more of a punch, actually, this sweetness is, as I said, very subtle. I can’t quite place the exact KIND of sweetness, and I’m tempted to say “caramel”, but then that would just be parroting the official description. So I’ll stick to plain and simply, “sweet”. I’m at the third steeping now, and it still tastes sweet.

Suffice it to say that this is only my third tea. Hopefully I’ll be able to better express my findings as my collection grows. And hopefully, as time goes by, I’ll be able to better appreciate this little treasure cake, especially since it gets better the older it gets.

Flavors: Sweet

mrmopar

This puerh thing will grow on you….

Norfür

In what sense? I’m already thinking about the next cake. Does that count? XD Or in learning to describe the flavours in it?

mrmopar

Growing to like it and explore more. “Thinking about the nextcake”, it is already started. The “precious” is out there just in more than one cake! :)

Norfür

Thanks! Garrett sent me two samples to go with it, Wild Monk and Noble Mark. Looking forward to examining the differences between sheng and shu. :)

mrmopar

I think you will enjoy both. I am in over my head in tea but I can always sneak a small box in now and then by opening the bathroom window going outside and sliding the package in the open window. Another one is “It’s for the grand-kids”. Sometimes I have to get inventive like oh I finally found this old thing laying around.
Kidding on some of it and not on some.If I can help you any way on your journey just give me a shout.

Norfür

Wow. That IS a lot of tea. Gonna have to start earning some big bucks before I can grow my collection to that level. So far I’ve only got four (six, counting Garret’s samplers).

This is my “Hot Cowboy” sheng.

Heart Of The Old Tree…How did such a zen and peaceful name ever became “Hot Cowboy” is absolutely preposterous. And would be too long to explain. All I will say is this: gather a few silly minds together and that’s what you get… MzPriss and Sarsonator, I will not say your names

(If you are crazy curious and feel you must know, you’ll find the answer somewhere in there):

This is a sheng, and therefore, I drank it all afternoon long a few days ago, and took some notes.

It’s fresh and clean. The early steeps gave me peaches.

I found citrusy notes, flirting with a light astringency. It’s almost effervescent, like a sparkling wine. I got the tingling tongue.

I did not get that the first time I drank it a few months ago, but there seemed to be a very faint campfire smoke taste this time around, barely noticeable.

Later steeps brought buttery, vegetal and mineral notes…a little oolong-esque I’d say.

I did not count the steeps, but my session lasted all afternoon…this is a delicate and delightful sheng. It’s wonderful.

I’ve had this tea twice, and can I say that my cat Wizz is going berserk over the smell of it? He does all kinds of weird things, as if this was kitty grass.

I guess even the cat got all “shenged up” :-)

Clint

Sounds so tasty! This tea has been #1 on my wish list! I’ve been wanting to try it out for a while, but I already exceeded my tea funds for the month. sigh

TheTeaFairy

I have yet to find a mandala tea I don’t like, to tell you the truth…and yeah…maxed out tea funds suck!!

MzPriss

Hot Cowboy!!! Mine came yesterday and I will be breaking into this on Saturday. And I just re-read that thread from the other day. My only excuse is that I was all shenged up – I don’t know what you and Sars’ excuse is. We need to hide Garret’s eyes though. He makes all these gorgeous and majestic names for his beautiful teas and we turn it into Hot Cowboy.

TheTeaFairy

Lol! Oh, those names are so beautiful. Did you know I actually bought this one only because of the name? I figured to earn such a meaningful title, it HAD to be good…and it was :-)

MzPriss

I can’t wait to try it. I got a pu-pick from Garret when I got this too so I have a proper tool! Oh and right this minute, I’m using my mug warmer. The Tea Hobbit is right – it rocks!

TheTeaFairy

I’m still using my silly nut pick! I’m getting a knife and a pick today.

Also, I’m going crazy over this tiny thing:

MzPriss

Good morning my Fairy Princess Schoompie. If you’re looking to me to discourage you, I think you know you’re barking up the wrong tea tree. That is freaking gorgeous and it doesn’t cost hardly anything. I would have already bought it. * Dusts off hands * My enabling for the day is done. Nice to have gotten it out of the way early.

TheTeaFairy

Haha! And good morning to you :-)
(Shipping is $17 BTW!!)
How was your night with all that sheng you had to drink “for the cause” last evening?

MzPriss

Holy shit! Really? OK I take my enabling back. That is a pretty cup though. You know, I don’t know how it happened – but I slept like 5 and a half hours. WTH? Maybe I should sheng at night more often. The mug warmer is bril!

TheTeaFairy

Yeah, too expensive for one tiny mini cup. Lol, yes, we definitely should have sheng more often.
(I just sent you a pm)

MzPriss

I am trying Yu Lu Yan Cha from Verdant for the first time, having already sucked down my Dark Beauty and some Zhu Rong. I LIKE this new one. I’m going to have a hard time writing a note on and describing it. It’s like woody-insense. mmmm likey!

yyz

Ummm, Teafairy, I spent some time at the site again and learned 2 things……1. You can order 25g of any tea even if it is not sold as such on the site. 2. They have recently started epacket service out of Kunming, so if you are really interested the shop owner said to email him about your interest in said product and you can probably get a cheaper shipping rate….

The owner is out of town until July 28 so don’t expect an immediate response, but maybe that tea cup can be yours.
[email protected]

TheTeaFairy

Haha! Yyz you are so sweet!! I can’t seem to get that cup out of my mind :-)

MzPriss

I really love that cup. So pretty! Love the contrast of it.

TheTeaFairy

Looks like minty frosting :-)

MzPriss

Yes, all cool and minty and then the more rustic clay. It’s sweet.

MzPriss

DAMMIT! I just looked at all of the “Tea Hardware” which is an odd thing to call it. I now need about 10 things from there. How did this go from me enabling you to me trying to justify $17 shipping to myself? How???

TheTeaFairy

Read yyz’s comment above…she’s the sweetheart who pointed me in their direction :-)

yyz

It is really pretty. He has some pretty nice teaware. Epacket is for up to 2 kg. If the shipping is a lot cheaper a tea tray for 15.00 is looking reasonable right now too.

MzPriss

GAH! I just keep finding things – there are lotus cups and cute gaiwans and teapets. I even want to get a present for Awkward Soul because there is the MOST adorable little owl cup.

TheTeaFairy

Yes, I guess the low cost of items absorbs the shipping costs…

TheTeaFairy

Hehe…did you see the blue lotus cup? And the little piggy pet?

MzPriss

YES AND YES!!!!!!! The laughing piggie on its back? And the lions playing with the ball? And yes! They are so reasonably priced that the shipping might be starting to make sense. Epacket would be better though?

MzPriss

OH and a wee small CHEAP tea tray for my work tray that I was just saying yesterday I needed?

TheTeaFairy

No, did not see that one…that would be great!

yyz

Its true, once you start thinking about a few things the price isn’t so bad.

MzPriss

Except – when I added all the items and I wanted and estimated shipping to Texas – I had TWO choices $40 or $60 in shipping. Um, what?

yyz

It goes up with weight. That’s why I started thinking about epacket. The prices for China post go up after 150g. Given epacket ends at 2 kg you may need to break up the order.

yyz

Actually its 50g for small packet, and then increases again significantly over 1 kg

yyz

Epacket rates look to be under 11 dollars for 2kg Max to the US but I’m not sure of what handling fees the seller would add on.

I need to figure it out. Because I WANT those things

Garret

This post just made me want to get a cowboy hat! So wonderful. Great to see you all on here. Life is such a gift – smiles and laughter make it all the sweeter!

TheTeaFairy Garret, I have a tendency of “naming” my favourite teas and love this mao cha and its original name, and again, sorry for that :-o

(But get the hat!!!)

Sarsonator

I don’t know exactly how HOTOT became hot cowboy, but whatever!

TTF: that cup is gorgeous!!!! Love it. Am I supposed to be enabling you or not enabling you currently?

HoneyBelle: those lotus cups are gorgeous. Not sure which one you liked, but they are all pretty.

I see several things I could use. If you guys find a better shipping option, let me know. I am taking a break for awhile, but I still have a wishlist!

yyz

I’m waiting until the 28th when he comes back. Hopefully then I’ll find out the cost of 25g of their dark teas and have an idea of shipping rates. I’m tempted by too many things there. The good thing about time is it gives me time to edit.

Sarsonator

The prices are just amazing, and there’s a great variety. Let us know what you find out, yyz :)

Remenescent of a white tea, this pu’er is very mild yet vibrant. Very little grassiness (which is fine) and some floralness. Only a little flavor overall.

Flavors: Honey

This morning I wanted a Mandala tea and I wanted it to be a raw pu-erh. I’m really excited to try some of my teas I got from Mandala but I chose this one from Dexter3657 because I got her package first. First off I got the brew time wrong. I used boiling water, rinsed the leaves and then let them steep for 2 min. Later I now see that’s quite a long steep since most are seconds. Should have checked her first! It was still a good cup though and and drank the whole thing. Not getting some of the notes and flavours others here are getting probably because I just haven’t had much experience with pu-erhs. I did find it mellow. It didn’t have the astringent grassy flavour green teas normally do. I will maybe spend more time over this when I make it again to savour the different flavours and notes. I did a 2nd infusion at 30 sec and found it seemed to have some lighter (floral) notes coming out in it. I made a 3rd infusion and took it in my Timolino for the day but the Timolino just didn’t do anything good for the tea. So that was my tasting experience. Not bad but the most AMAZING thing was how I felt. Going to work, I felt soooo energized but not jittery. I was clear headed. All the cobwebs that have been there lately (WEEKS!) seemed to clear away. I’ve been periodically stressed and a little down and for the day I was upbeat, cheerful, focused. Man, I felt like that guy in the movie who took the little magic pill (Limitless). I knew what I had to do and I did it. lol
Thank you Dexter3657 for this fine sample and thank-you Mandala for such a fine tea. Now I’m wondering if all raw pu-erhs have this same effect or is it just this one?
PS: Not rating this tea yet only because I want to spent a bit more time with it to get the rating just right.

mrmopar

Yep good sheng has lots of good effects.

Dexter

Yay!!! Positive experience. I would play with the leaf amount and steep time until you find your “sweet” spot. I’m not sure about just sheng – but good tea makes me feel good. :))

Ubacat

Wow! That’s good to know. I’m in for a real treat then since I’ve got quite a bit of sheng to try. Thanks Dexter3657. I’ll try to work out the steep time on the next brew. It tasted best to me with the short steep so I’ll start with that.

Garret

Happy that you are enjoying this tea, my friend! Sheng pu’er… my passion. Not all shengs are the same as far as uplifting, qi raising goodness. It all depends of area, picking, processing and of course, the mood of the drinker!

Buying the tea right at the farm made this tea a very special creation for me. I tasted each of their mao cha’s from spring 2012 and opted for what ended up in this cake. Such a pleasure it was to pack the mao cha into boxes that we delivered to the pressing factory. And now, the thrill of people sharing their good experiences had with this tea, well, let’s just say it’s heart opening and joyful!

In China when drinking even a young sheng or mao cha, boiling water is the favored temp. But we have many many customers who will begin their steeps with 195 degree water in earlier shorter infusions and slowly bring up the water temp as they progress with the various infusions.

Best advice I can give is to “play with your tea.” Make the great experiment yours!! And yes, pay attention to the flavors and aromas but in my experience, sheng pu’er drinking is about just that – the experience and mainly how it makes body and mind feel. A good sheng will lift you up, open you up, warm your lower dan tien (energetic bank account, root of the breath) and then lower you down so gently that you have no kicks to the adrenals, only the detoxifying, cleansing, feel-good properties.

Oh yes… sheng pu’er can be a treat!

Ubacat

Thanks Garret for all that info. There’s so much to learn and taste. I shall enjoy the journey!

Here’s a check-in on some young, rapidly improving tea. I won’t do a number rating since I work for Mandala.

7 grams into a 5oz. yixing pot, quick rinse, water at full boil. I combined two infusions into one sharing pitcher for each tasting stop.

10 seconds (x2) – tastes a little like sweet corn with a slight cooling sensation at the back of the throat. Very clear tea liquor.

15 seconds (x2) – increased sweetness now with some grape flavor starting in and a lot more tongue-drying astringency

15 seconds (x2) – the energy of this tea is really hitting now – sort of a full cardiovascular system opener. Garret says, “This is why I called it HEART of the old tree!”

30 seconds (x2) – just getting tastier, the flavors are really rounded and well-incorporated. Clean.

1 minute (x2) – sweet cooking grain flavor and after-sweet are taking over. Less of that grape-like sweetness initially. Excellent flavor left in my mouth long after sipping.

Loving where this tea is right now and excited about where it’s headed!

Boiling 0 min, 30 sec 7 g 5 OZ / 147 ML