Premium Grade Tie Guan Yin

Creamy, Floral, Flowers, Sweet, Cocoa, Hay
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

Available from 1 seller.

From Mandala Tea

Simply put, this is a “must-try” tea! The finest TGY we have had in our store to date. Aromatic, flavorful with a mouthfeel that is buttery, full and sweet.

This is a "cha"mazing tea from the Fujian Province of China, very famous for their oolong production. A beautiful and delicious whole leaf rolled oolong with an emerald green brewed leaf and liquor! It is full of flavor and aroma, smooth but with a bittersweet aftertaste. We are very impressed with the quality of this tea and enjoy the history that it brings along with it.

Premium grade is a much higher grade of tea leaf from the same Tie Guan Yin tea plant. The leaves will be more whole and will have few imperfections. You will notice that the aroma is stronger and the taste is thicker and fuller. Higher grade tea is a simple way to bring something special to your everyday experience.

About Mandala Tea View company

This is truly such a surprising tea. It smells like lilac. I have never had tea that smells quite like that. The taste delicate and yet flavorful and buttery. It is a must-try.

Garret

Inguna! I had tea with the son of the man who grows this tea for us on our April buying trip. This is a special tea. I will pass along your nice words to him. So happy you are enjoying it!

inguna

It is indeed special. It actually smells like lilac flowers and from all the varieties of
Tie Guan Yin I have tried I think this would be my favorite.

Yet another great tea from Mandala.

It’s very sweet and floral with hints of butter and caramel.

Still one of my favorites, hands down. I actually like this one slightly more than the Milk Oolong now because it is slightly more floral and complex. Lilac, orchid, and plumeria are still prominent, with butter and vegetal relish.

A unique oolong. For whatever reason I thought oolongs were supposed to have creamy flavors but I’ve been learning that oolongs are extremely diverse. This is a very smooth oolong. Great grassy flavors. Slight floral but I find that more in the smell then the taste.

Gongfu Cha 15, 25, 35…
This is the 2015 version
Pretty floral aroma chamomile, wet hay, cocoa powder. Full, round robust cup. No bitterness, but lots of texture. I could just drink this stuff all day.

Flavors: Cocoa, Floral, Hay

195 °F / 90 °C 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

So the first thing I’m noticing about this tea, before I even taste it, is that it doesn’t look like any TGY I’ve ever had before. It’s so green, and the liquor is so, so pale, and the aroma is very much like Jin Xuan. Keep in mind I’ve only ever had cheap asian market teas, with the exception of Foojoy “Monkey Picked” TGY which actually isn’t bad and I’d have to say is a step above cheap asian market teas. It’s just that I’m used to a much darker TGY. Ok, the taste. Gongfu. 1 tsp, 190 degrees. 30 second rinse. 30 second steeps, lost count how many. It does not taste like Jin Xuan at all. There’s that familiar TGY astringency (love). Interesting creamy mouth feel. Complex. Floral. (Side note: the leaves are gigantic!) If this was labeled as something entirely different, I never would have identified it as a TGY. So I learned two things: first, I really don’t know much at all when it comes to tea, and second, I think maybe I just prefer darker, more roasted TGYs. I will have to find one now.

I’m back from seeing my sweetie who was in Africa and quite the jet lagged traveler. On the trip home via BART I was thinking of what tea I wanted to have when I got home. I was thinking green tea but ended up with this green oolong instead.

I’ve had this in my stash for a few months now but somehow haven’t gotten around to doing a review. Tie guan yins always remind me of spring and I was thinking I should drink this one soon while its still fresh.

I did 3 steeps but wanted to stop there because I’m a bit worried about caffeine so late in the afternoon. It’s a lovely tea which reminds me of vanilla and cream in the first steep, the later steeps brought out an essence of lilac and butter. I’m not getting the bittersweet notes for some reason, it seems just sweet and buttery to me! Somehow it feels relaxing and uplifting at the same time. I will need to try cold brewing it as well.