Premium Grade Tie Guan Yin

Butter, Floral, Vegetal, Flowers, Sweet, Creamy, Cocoa, Hay
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

Available from 1 seller.

From Mandala Tea

Simply put, this is a “must-try” tea! The finest TGY we have had in our store to date. Aromatic, flavorful with a mouthfeel that is buttery, full and sweet.

This is a "cha"mazing tea from the Fujian Province of China, very famous for their oolong production. A beautiful and delicious whole leaf rolled oolong with an emerald green brewed leaf and liquor! It is full of flavor and aroma, smooth but with a bittersweet aftertaste. We are very impressed with the quality of this tea and enjoy the history that it brings along with it.

Premium grade is a much higher grade of tea leaf from the same Tie Guan Yin tea plant. The leaves will be more whole and will have few imperfections. You will notice that the aroma is stronger and the taste is thicker and fuller. Higher grade tea is a simple way to bring something special to your everyday experience.

About Mandala Tea View company

This is truly such a surprising tea. It smells like lilac. I have never had tea that smells quite like that. The taste delicate and yet flavorful and buttery. It is a must-try.

Garret

Inguna! I had tea with the son of the man who grows this tea for us on our April buying trip. This is a special tea. I will pass along your nice words to him. So happy you are enjoying it!

inguna

It is indeed special. It actually smells like lilac flowers and from all the varieties of
Tie Guan Yin I have tried I think this would be my favorite.

Yet another great tea from Mandala.

It’s very sweet and floral with hints of butter and caramel.

The leaves were a vibrant green. I brewed in the gaiwan, just under the boil with first two drinkable steeps at 40 secs. Beautiful flowery scent, I think lilac. A mild vegetal taste and buttery. Lovely. The liquor was a pale green. This was a sample included with my order. I’m glad, otherwise I wouldn’t have known about it. I nice surprise. Curious to see how the taste evolves over subsequent steeps.

Flavors: Butter, Floral, Vegetal

5 g 6 OZ / 177 ML
Garret

It really is a very nice tea. This is one that I sit down and brew up 4 or 5 times a week, which is a lot considering all the other teas here in the shop that I can drink. So happy you enjoy it!

TheArchivist

Thanks Garret!

Floral light tea, perfect for a spring morning or summer evening. Complex floral flavors with each sip.

Flavors: Floral, Flowers, Sweet

i thought this tea was good. Thanks for the trade, curlygc!!! I acquired lots of oolong in the trade and TGY was one of them.

It tastes like cocoa butter and lilac. Yesterday, I loved it. This morning when I had my fifth steep (still strong) I didn’t like it as much, but I don’t blame the tea.

Overall, it’s a solid tea that is still strong on the 5th steep, so I look forward to the bit that I have left and how many steeps I can get.

I’m not really a fan of Tie Guan Yin — the earthy chocolate notes paired with the floral just doesn’t do it for me. That said, I do think this tea is about the best a Tie Guan Yin can be — it’s very smooth and the lilac aspect is a nice surprise — so if you are into it, definitely check this one out. It has great longevity, I think I’ve done 6 steeps and it’s still going strong.

This one is really changing, and like it, my preferences change from day to day and mood to mood. I’ve steeped it several different ways, and only once was I able to get the sweetness that made me love it in the first place. Even when I first sampled it, it was a weak orchid that changed into a sweeter lilac that reminded me so much of plumeria. I liked the Milk Oolong most, then this one became my favorite. Now, I prefer the Milk Oolong more again save one day of a singular, stronger brew. The cost of a gram per ounce or more is great, so I try to use less water for less grams or stay with it lightened. Even when this tea is fainter, though, I keep on welcoming it and it comes as an honored guest. It will always be a must try for anyone, but nothing will compare to the way it was when I made it sweet by accident. Perhaps I’m romanticizing the favored experience, but I swear it was just as sweet as the Milk Oolong was, tasting of plumeria, warm milk, and a dash of caramel.

Now, it’s been a few days, the smell has changed from orchid, to plumeria, to lilac, and back to orchid now. I miss the sweetness so much, but I couldn’t bring myself to add sugar to it. A stronger brew with more leaves and time is the best way that I can get it to be sweet again. The same wonderful notes pervade, with more butter and cream some days, more vegetal others, but a transformation of flowers persists. I wish I wrote down what I did when I rated this as a 98 because I still miss it. Nevertheless, this tea still does what a good Tie Guan Yin is supposed to do: provide serenity in a cup of purity. The plumeria smell remains, and I continue to think back to Hawaii when my life was more fortunate. A divine gift from the Goddess of Mercy indeed.

And now, I don’t know what to rate it. Some days it’s been a 90, others an 85, and unfortunately some days a 80 or 75 because of how faint I brewed it. I’ll keep on coming back to this one for I will be drinking it for days. For those of you who are trying to decide whether or not to try it, look down at my first review that is on the bottom of this particular review.

….but then I figured it out! Less water, hotter water just under boiling, more leaves! 15 seconds, then 30, then add fifteen subsequently at 1-1.5 grams per ounce. Sweet plumeria, you have returned!

A unique oolong. For whatever reason I thought oolongs were supposed to have creamy flavors but I’ve been learning that oolongs are extremely diverse. This is a very smooth oolong. Great grassy flavors. Slight floral but I find that more in the smell then the taste.

Gongfu Cha 15, 25, 35…
This is the 2015 version
Pretty floral aroma chamomile, wet hay, cocoa powder. Full, round robust cup. No bitterness, but lots of texture. I could just drink this stuff all day.

Flavors: Cocoa, Floral, Hay

195 °F / 90 °C 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

So the first thing I’m noticing about this tea, before I even taste it, is that it doesn’t look like any TGY I’ve ever had before. It’s so green, and the liquor is so, so pale, and the aroma is very much like Jin Xuan. Keep in mind I’ve only ever had cheap asian market teas, with the exception of Foojoy “Monkey Picked” TGY which actually isn’t bad and I’d have to say is a step above cheap asian market teas. It’s just that I’m used to a much darker TGY. Ok, the taste. Gongfu. 1 tsp, 190 degrees. 30 second rinse. 30 second steeps, lost count how many. It does not taste like Jin Xuan at all. There’s that familiar TGY astringency (love). Interesting creamy mouth feel. Complex. Floral. (Side note: the leaves are gigantic!) If this was labeled as something entirely different, I never would have identified it as a TGY. So I learned two things: first, I really don’t know much at all when it comes to tea, and second, I think maybe I just prefer darker, more roasted TGYs. I will have to find one now.