2007 Yong De Organic Ripe Pu'erh

Pu-erh Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by tperez

• “I had originally planned to enjoy this yesterday after several steepings of Lao Tong Zhi '11 Sheng, but the day got late, dinnertime came, & I decided to wait. So I'm enjoying it now (still...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 2491 tasting notes
  • “Wow, this is a wonderful shu. I wasn't completely sure about it based on its slightly muddy appearance and not having heard of Yong De, but seeing it described as a favorite by both Garret at...” Read full tasting note
    tperez 97 tasting notes
  • “It's been an exhausting week Steepsters! I'm very glad to say my body recovered from the hit-by-a-car fiasco, but then it promptly adopted a cold. Here's hoping the next two weeks are much...” Read full tasting note
    hammaryn 148 tasting notes
  • “Not much to say on this one besides i am having a grand time drinking it up this morning. I'm working from home today and feeling incredibly productive even with my minimal sleep over the past...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4043 tasting notes

From Mandala Tea

An incredibly enjoyable ripe cake at an incredible price. What a great value good pu’er tea can be and here is one with over 3 years of perfect storage conditions, so ready to drink now and be enjoyed everyday. One of our favorites, this tea is also certified organic. This is a wonderful example of what we consider a very good ripe pu’er tea. Dark and rich, smooth with a bit of sweetness, you won’t be disappointed!

About Mandala Tea View company

I had originally planned to enjoy this yesterday after several steepings of Lao Tong Zhi ‘11 Sheng, but the day got late, dinnertime came, & I decided to wait. So I’m enjoying it now (still listening to the ladies play harp duets). This is a very nice fully flavored Shu, no fish or ammonia, reminding me of vanilla wafers, & also reminding me of the noodle kugle I used to make for my kids a long time ago. That kugel was rich with eggs, vanilla, cinnamon. This Shu has a richness like that, a smooth vanilla mouthfeel, a mouth watering sweetness, & it’s just plain tasty! It’s also rather bold!
5G + 4oz (rinse) X 2min (xingyang workshop method)
Subsequent steeps t 2 min, followed by steeps at 3 mins as needed.

Wow, this is a wonderful shu. I wasn’t completely sure about it based on its slightly muddy appearance and not having heard of Yong De, but seeing it described as a favorite by both Garret at Mandala and (different year’s pressing) by Scott at Yunnan Sourcing, I figured a 1oz sample was certainly worth a try. And it was.

Dry leaves: The leaves are slightly larger than the Menghai pu’s I’ve tried, and are a warm, chocolaty brown in color. The smell is deep and rich, but I have trouble identifying any one note.

Early infusions: The first thing that strikes me in tasting is a sort of marshmallow “puffiness” to the liquer. Even in the first steeping there is no noticeable “off” taste. The tea is remarkably smooth and has a deep woodiness with a pleasant zuchini-like flavor.

Middle Infusions: Around the fifth infusion, the tea starts to open up in flavor with notes of saffron, sea breeze, and cantaloupe. The flavor is woodsy like dry fall leaves.

Later infusions: Around the tenth infusion, when the tea begins to be weaker, the flavors become more sweet and subtle. It has a slight vanilla sweetness, and flavors like a dense sourdough bread. The flavor is very clean, almost like a Yunnan black tea.

This is my new favorite pu’erh, very smooth, clean, and deep. A full cake of it has jumped to the top of my shopping list :)

Garret

I read this review and marched immediately back to our pu’er storage vault and pulled out one of these cakes. I love this tea. It’ll be out for us to prepare here at the tea shop for the next few days, for sure. I’m so happy that you are enjoying this tea, my friend! It’s a winner. I can’t wait for you to try the Noble Mark sample that I sent you. It is a blend I created from Yong De area where I was there in April. While very young, I think you will enjoy it. I don’t just buy 200 + lbs of tea if I don’t think it’s going to age well :) Thanks for the review!

Garret

Went back and counted inventory on this cake. 9 left. One will be snapped up by yours truly, and my partner just said he wants one, too. Our session with it here is going very well :)

tperez

Eek, I guess that means I need to order one soon! I’m very excited to try the Noble Mark, I think I’ll brew some up tomorrow :)

Garret

I’m working on securing some more of them, but so far none of my connections there can find it. I’ll be back in SW China soon enough. I’ll see if I can find some then!

mrmopar

sorry garret, i think you will soon only have 6 left i think!

mrmopar

oh i am going to be shot for this…..

ashmanra

Mrmopar! Did you buy all the rest of the tea? LOL!

Garret

Huh… that’s funny… all of the sudden the stock is down to 6 :) I am glad you are going to try that Noble Mark, too!!!! Along with that loose tea, I’ll send you a sample of the cake I had pressed of it, too. Still waiting for the remaining 320 to get here so I can put them up on the site!

mrmopar

no i just grabbed one and a noble mark sample. garret thanks in advance for the sample of the pressed cake! mr tperez and i have very similar tastes on our pu-erh( he.. he.. i think i got him hooked on it.) thanks and best wishes always!

I know where you live Mr. M!!! ;D

mrmopar

ha ha stop by any time and i will share tea with you! your choice, oh the discussions we could have about pu-erh…….

tperez

Haha, well I’d be glad to take you up on that offer some day

mrmopar

anytime, you are always welcome here.

Terri HarpLady

You guys are a bad influence on me…or maybe you’re a good influence on me…le’ts just say I just kind of went crazy & placed my first Mandala order…finally!

mrmopar

Terri, you will not be disappointed with that purchase!

ashmanra

Go, Terri!

Claire

Terri, I can’t wait to hear what you got!

Garret

Hey y’all! Can we possibly get any groovier people on this thread?? :) Terri and John, your orders just got picked up!!! They are on their way to your wonderful selves!

Terri HarpLady

Yay!! More and more tea! Claire, after perusing various people’s comments about various teas, I kind of went overboard & got the following:
Phatty cake 11
Yong De 07
Menghai dayi red rhyme 08
Menghai “Zi Yun” Ripe Pu-erh tea (purple rhyme) 09
& a sample of Noble Mark
Now I have to figure out where to keep it all! Some day when I get old & pass away, my kids will be going through my stuff & it will be like one of those Hoarders reality shows, with cakes & tins of tea everywhere!

Claire

I am so excited to read those reviews! I have to wait until the end of this month to get more tea and I swear, a month has never seemed longer! XD

Terri HarpLady

Need I mention that I have a tendency to contemplate at great length before I buy anything, & then all hell breaks loose…obsessive-compulsive-addictive

mrmopar

oohh Terri the red rhyme is great ,the purple rhyme is too and the phatty cake you will like as well! congrats on you getting a great selection. Garret can’t wait to get it in!

I’m super excited!
Sadly, one can only sample so many teas in a day…

It’s been an exhausting week Steepsters! I’m very glad to say my body recovered from the hit-by-a-car fiasco, but then it promptly adopted a cold. Here’s hoping the next two weeks are much better.

This shu makes me so happy. The flavor is rich, woodsy, and sweet. I got 1oz of it in my last Mandala order and definitely need to snag a cake. I wish I could pick up more flavors in this but my review will have to suffice to say this one is a keeper (and a drinker).

CharlotteZero

I hadn’t read your post about getting hit by a car until now. I’m so sorry, but glad to hear you’re better! Did you ever report it?

Claire

I didn’t, I’m sad to say. I should have but ended up caving in to exhaustion.

CharlotteZero

It’s understandable. And unfortunately, it’s unlikely they’d ever find her even if you did report it. I hope she stays off the roads.

Terri HarpLady

I still can’t believe that happened to you, Claire! I’m glad you’re ok. Take care of yourself!!!

canadianadia

I hope you’re feeling better soon

Garret

I know of a special special collections librarian who will soon receive an entire cake of this tea!

That’s one lucky person!

Claire

She is very lucky indeed. :) She even gets to sleep in tomorrow!

Not much to say on this one besides i am having a grand time drinking it up this morning. I’m working from home today and feeling incredibly productive even with my minimal sleep over the past couple of days. The last piece of this is off to Cavocorax so that she can try it out and see what other delights she wants to explore from Mandala :)

So this was a gift during a trade with someone who’s name I can’t find. Thank you Mystery Person!

Generally speaking, I am NOT a fan of pu’erh. I am especially not a fan of Shu pu’erh. But I have it and I thought that I should try it. I had a little chunk of it with a label in a little plastic bag so here goes. I’m using my little yellow single person teapot and cup with the cats on them. I have a matching set of mugs, but the cup sits below the teapot when it is resting so I have a drinking vessel already.

I hope the pu’erh purists will forgive me, but I added a bit of sugar to each infusion because otherwise bitterness overwhelms everything. I will try to do this justice.

1st steep: 10 seconds: boiling water. This tastes really earthy and I’m not sure how to describe it. I’m not entirely turned off by it, and I’m rather surprised about that. I think I’m also getting a bit of that tea chaqi that Terri keeps mentioning. I’m feeling a little light-headed anyway and this after not even a cup of it.

Had to pour out the second steep because of reasons. Third infusion is 15 seconds, boiling water, and it’s not really noticeably darker than the first. I poured through a strainer because the parts keep coming off since the teapot doesn’t have it’s own strainer. This infusion is still a dark orange/brown colour and as I’m tasting it, the flavour has thinned out a bit but it’s becoming a bit more unpleasant for me. I think I will stop drinking this now and apologize for wasting this likely very nice tea when I truly have not developed a taste for shu pu’erh.