Flowering Black Tea Cones

Edit tea info Last updated by Alphakitty

• “These handy little flowers have become my go-to tea to carry in my purse. I can bring them with me to a restaurant, drop a few in my cup, let them steep & fish them out with a fork when my tea is...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 3006 tasting notes
  • “another great cup of tea this morning while i clean up the kitchen, do a little work and get it ready for my other half to then wake up and cook me breakfast! lol this is pretty much par for...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 5059 tasting notes
  • “Love this tea! The flavor is a nice malty brew with caramel and pecan notes with a silky texture. What I enjoy most about the Flowering Cones is it can take a beating: when I was on my cruise...” Read full tasting note
    awkwardsoul 1056 tasting notes
  • “This one came from *Terri HarpLady*! This one has been on my shopping list, now newly named wishlist (?), for a long time. I love flowering teas. They are definitely beautiful to watch bloom, it...” Read full tasting note
    Lala1 772 tasting notes

From Mandala Tea

High grade Yunnan spring leaves are hand-sewn into these lovely little bundles of black tea joy! Watch the cones open up and impart their glorious flavor unto the water. The tea liquor is malty in flavor with a sweet aftertaste. Black tea is produced by fully oxidizing a tea leaf once it has been picked. You will likely enjoy doing only a few longer steepings, but black tea can be prepared Gong Fu style as well.

About Mandala Tea View company

These handy little flowers have become my go-to tea to carry in my purse. I can bring them with me to a restaurant, drop a few in my cup, let them steep & fish them out with a fork when my tea is strong enough. I don’t need a strainer, because they are tidy, with the leaves all tied together in the classic flower formation. The resulting cup is malty, smooth, & sweet. And they resteep nicely too. :)

__Morgana__

They look adorable! Shopping list. Sigh.

Fjellrev

Shopping list squared.

another great cup of tea this morning while i clean up the kitchen, do a little work and get it ready for my other half to then wake up and cook me breakfast! lol this is pretty much par for course when we have a day off together on the weekend as i’m a morning person and he’s a night owl. So i get up, prepare the kitchen, make coffee and bring it to him in bed…then he gets up and makes my delicious breakfast to go with said coffee :) it’s perfect. Today we’ll be doing that and then i suspect it’ll be an extended bike ride down to high park to check out the cherry blossoms for fun :)

caile

Have fun!

TheTeaFairy

Aww, you two are so ready to get married ;-)

Love this tea!

The flavor is a nice malty brew with caramel and pecan notes with a silky texture. What I enjoy most about the Flowering Cones is it can take a beating: when I was on my cruise I’d just toss a few in my travel mug and let it infuse away without worry of oversteeping.

I personally prefer a longer steep with this tea, but the short 1 through 5 minute steeps were pretty good and I got quite a bit of tea from two little cones.

Full review on my blog, The Oolong Owl http://oolongowl.com/flowering-cones-black-tea-mandala-tea-oolong-owl-tea-review/ Black Tea Week with Sunset Owl (shhh, he’s missing feet!) I took some cool pictures of this blooming tea, so check it out!

Boiling

and they’re pretty!

Terri HarpLady

I need to get more of these, they are handy to have around.

CelebriTEA

These are very pretty :-)

This one came from Terri HarpLady!

This one has been on my shopping list, now newly named wishlist (?), for a long time. I love flowering teas. They are definitely beautiful to watch bloom, it is almost like I have no idea how that even works. Definitely an art. But I don’t really care for the taste of flowering teas. So when I came across this one, I was super curious, it was a flowering tea but made of black tea. Right up my alley.

I only used 2 cones for a cup because I wasn’t sure how strong it would be. In hindsight, I should have used 3 or 4 cones but I have enough to try again. Definitely beautiful to watch the cones “flower”.

This one brewed up a sweet, malty black tea. I am getting honey notes, but very specifically barley honey notes. It is quite mild on the boldness scale but I think that is more to do with not using enough tea. This one is similar to some of the black pearl teas I have tried but with more sweetness.

Edit: I did a resteep with the same two cones, but for 4 minutes. Definitely a lot stronger with the 4 minute steep time. less honey flavour, it is strong but not bold. Pretty smooth taste. I think, though, I would prefer more tea with less steep time.

205 °F / 96 °C 2 min, 0 sec 8 OZ / 236 ML
Stephanie

I almost bought this one the other day. Perhaps I should have! :/

NofarS

I also kind of liked the “shopping list” label better.
These look fantastic.

Lala

To me a shopping list and wish list are two different things. Ha ha. But I guess I can just keep using it the same as before. Its whatever I make it be I guess.

__Morgana__

Agree. Shopping list means I’m more committed to buying it. Wish list is more pie in the sky. ;-)

Tried to brew these using the method on the package—try 1, 2, then 5 min steeps with 2-3 cones for 8 oz water.

Second steep: A bit better than the first, but only just.

I’m going to try the 5 min steep, but overall I think these cones require much more time.

2067 tasting notes

Thanks for this one Sil!

It’s my last tea of the night! I feel like I got a pretty good amount of stuff in today. I mean, no sipdowns but at least I tried a new tea and had fun doing unfamiliar things with familiar blends.

As for this one, I steeped it in my glass Octo mug so I could watch it bloom. I have to say, it’s definitely not the prettiest bloom. In fact, mine kinda came apart in the cup. Taste wise, it was somehow better than I anticipated; though I don’t know what I was anticipating other than it was not this. The tea was not the most mind blowing straight black, but it does have one thing really going for it: it’s very malty. And I do love malty blacks.

So again; thanks Sil! I think I’ll enjoy the last two blooms!

Nice. Glad you enjoyed it :) they’re fun to look at too

Sipdown (149)
I was sipping this all day while we moved the last of our stuff back into the suite. Eeesh. It was such a long day but this was such a beauiful tea. Thanks Sil I didn’t get a chance to log it while I made it but it was great and quite tolerant to abuse. (Sorry tea – I kept steeping it for 8-10 minutes…)

These tea comes are pretty little towers with visible prominent copper gold buds. Using 1 cone/100ml/95°C I ended up with a maple colour brew.

1 min. Grainy notes, malt, honey, plum.
Plum, honey, cocoa,light grain, and faint deeper tones of malt. ( much sweeter than my other one, but less spicy).

2 min. Malt, grain notes, cocoa, hints of currants.
Honey, light currant jelly, faint leathery notes, pepper, cocoa, faint grain notes, plum.

3 min honey and plum mix together in a tone that reminds me of apricot, grain notes are much stronger, cinnamon apparent, very faint cocoa and malt and a touch of tartness in the end.

4 min, mild grain notes, mild malt honey

6 min similar

These cones yielded a smooth honeyed tea with light grain, varying fruit, malt and mild cocoa tones.

Nicole asked me the other day how these compared to my other ones http://steepster.com/yyz/posts/252357. I would have to say that visually these ones are a little bit bigger and slightly more tippy. Taste wise, Mandalas offering is slightly sweeter and smoother whereas the other has a more intense deeper flavour, with stronger malt, chocolate, spice and tart fruit notes. It is also more tannic. It leaves a tingling on the tongue from spice, whereas Mandala leaves more honeyed notes. Both are really nice!

I have to thank Sil for these cones. It’s been nice watching them open in my smaller Turkish coffee glasses.

Nicole

Awesome! Thanks so much for the comparison. :)

i like how pretty these are…and still make a NOT WEAK cup of tea :)

yyz

They are really pretty! I get the impression that they are much more forgiving than the ones I have, as well. It’s definitely weak the honeyed notes were pretty strong in the first cup!

yyz

I meant definitely not weak!

haha i figured :)

Method: 3 cones, 8 oz, 185 degrees, grandpa style

Dry Leaf Aroma: Black tea, a little malt

Brewing Aroma: I recognize something, but I’m not sure what it is. Dang it.

Flavor: Smooth, malty, not bitter. I will brew these properly eventually, but I purchased them to take to work specifically for this style of brewing because they are quick and convenient. I think I made a good choice!

185 °F / 85 °C 8 min or more 2 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
TheTeaFairy

Those little cones are so cute!

Sarsonator

They are adorable! And super portable, too!

TheTeaFairy

I just asked for a sample in tonight’s order :-)

Sarsonator

Super! I hope you like them. :)

Buy Nothing Summer Stash-down Time!

The only other flowering tea I have had was Numi from a gift set that I bought on sale for the glass pot it came with :D Those were pretty unimpressive and downright tasteless.

This I received as a sample awhile back in my Mandala order. I am on a mission this summer to try and reduce the amount of stash in my cupboard to make way for new and awesome things to try in the fall. So it is time for finally try this tea!

There were 7 cones in the little zip bag, but no instructions. I googled up a review from Oolong Owl that mentioned 2 cones in 6oz of water. My little pot is like 14 or 16 oz, so I went with 3. 2 would have been plenty.

Plain, the tea is a pretty basic black tea. It steeps pretty dark, so the “flowers” are not that viewable – spiky balls dimly viewed in the murky light of this stormy day. It reminds me of lakeweed, and I looked for magical merfolk, but nothing seems to be swimming around.

Sweetened, the tea livens up a bit, and is pretty good. After a small plain cup, and a small sweetened one, I made a latte with the last of the first pot. It’s acceptable, but not something that makes me sit up and take notice.

I’m brewing a second pot now to see if the leaves have anything left in them. I should have heated the water again though. I suspect the kettle cooled too much.

It’s not a bad tea or anything, but not something that would impress me to order it as a loose tea. And I like my little luxuries, but the idea of someone working to form tea leaves into a tiny flower by sewing them by hand seems like a ludicrous activity, the ultimate in ridiculous decadence. I’m not sure that makes sense when I’m drinking things that get hand picked but it just seems like it crosses some line in my mind.

So I’ll use these, and they are kind of fun, but I am not going to seek out flowering teas.