Flowering Black Tea Cones

Malt, Molasses, Smooth, Thick
Edit tea info Last updated by Alphakitty

• “These handy little flowers have become my go-to tea to carry in my purse. I can bring them with me to a restaurant, drop a few in my cup, let them steep & fish them out with a fork when my tea...” Read full tasting note
    terri-harplady 3125 tasting notes
  • “another great cup of tea this morning while i clean up the kitchen, do a little work and get it ready for my other half to then wake up and cook me breakfast! lol this is pretty much par for...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 6155 tasting notes
  • “Love this tea! The flavor is a nice malty brew with caramel and pecan notes with a silky texture. What I enjoy most about the Flowering Cones is it can take a beating: when I was on my...” Read full tasting note
    awkwardsoul 1120 tasting notes
  • “This one came from Terri HarpLady! This one has been on my shopping list, now newly named wishlist (?), for a long time. I love flowering teas. They are definitely beautiful to...” Read full tasting note
    Lala1 831 tasting notes

From Mandala Tea

High grade Yunnan spring leaves are hand-sewn into these lovely little bundles of black tea joy! Watch the cones open up and impart their glorious flavor unto the water. The tea liquor is malty in flavor with a sweet aftertaste. Black tea is produced by fully oxidizing a tea leaf once it has been picked. You will likely enjoy doing only a few longer steepings, but black tea can be prepared Gong Fu style as well.

About Mandala Tea View company

These handy little flowers have become my go-to tea to carry in my purse. I can bring them with me to a restaurant, drop a few in my cup, let them steep & fish them out with a fork when my tea is strong enough. I don’t need a strainer, because they are tidy, with the leaves all tied together in the classic flower formation. The resulting cup is malty, smooth, & sweet. And they resteep nicely too. :)

__Morgana__

They look adorable! Shopping list. Sigh.

Fjellrev

Shopping list squared.

another great cup of tea this morning while i clean up the kitchen, do a little work and get it ready for my other half to then wake up and cook me breakfast! lol this is pretty much par for course when we have a day off together on the weekend as i’m a morning person and he’s a night owl. So i get up, prepare the kitchen, make coffee and bring it to him in bed…then he gets up and makes my delicious breakfast to go with said coffee :) it’s perfect. Today we’ll be doing that and then i suspect it’ll be an extended bike ride down to high park to check out the cherry blossoms for fun :)

caile

Have fun!

TheTeaFairy

Aww, you two are so ready to get married ;-)

Love this tea!

The flavor is a nice malty brew with caramel and pecan notes with a silky texture. What I enjoy most about the Flowering Cones is it can take a beating: when I was on my cruise I’d just toss a few in my travel mug and let it infuse away without worry of oversteeping.

I personally prefer a longer steep with this tea, but the short 1 through 5 minute steeps were pretty good and I got quite a bit of tea from two little cones.

Full review on my blog, The Oolong Owl http://oolongowl.com/flowering-cones-black-tea-mandala-tea-oolong-owl-tea-review/ Black Tea Week with Sunset Owl (shhh, he’s missing feet!) I took some cool pictures of this blooming tea, so check it out!

Boiling

and they’re pretty!

Terri HarpLady

I need to get more of these, they are handy to have around.

CelebriTEA

These are very pretty :-)

This one came from Terri HarpLady!

This one has been on my shopping list, now newly named wishlist (?), for a long time. I love flowering teas. They are definitely beautiful to watch bloom, it is almost like I have no idea how that even works. Definitely an art. But I don’t really care for the taste of flowering teas. So when I came across this one, I was super curious, it was a flowering tea but made of black tea. Right up my alley.

I only used 2 cones for a cup because I wasn’t sure how strong it would be. In hindsight, I should have used 3 or 4 cones but I have enough to try again. Definitely beautiful to watch the cones “flower”.

This one brewed up a sweet, malty black tea. I am getting honey notes, but very specifically barley honey notes. It is quite mild on the boldness scale but I think that is more to do with not using enough tea. This one is similar to some of the black pearl teas I have tried but with more sweetness.

Edit: I did a resteep with the same two cones, but for 4 minutes. Definitely a lot stronger with the 4 minute steep time. less honey flavour, it is strong but not bold. Pretty smooth taste. I think, though, I would prefer more tea with less steep time.

205 °F / 96 °C 2 min, 0 sec 8 OZ / 236 ML
Stephanie

I almost bought this one the other day. Perhaps I should have! :/

NofarS

I also kind of liked the “shopping list” label better.
These look fantastic.

Lala

To me a shopping list and wish list are two different things. Ha ha. But I guess I can just keep using it the same as before. Its whatever I make it be I guess.

__Morgana__

Agree. Shopping list means I’m more committed to buying it. Wish list is more pie in the sky. ;-)

Tried to brew these using the method on the package—try 1, 2, then 5 min steeps with 2-3 cones for 8 oz water.

Second steep: A bit better than the first, but only just.

I’m going to try the 5 min steep, but overall I think these cones require much more time.

I still need to do some notes for the gongfu sessions I had with Equusfell yesterday, but for now I will continue with the cupboard sip-through because I am almost done!! This tea (#–4) represents the Mandala order for smart soak that also included some tea. I had read good things about it, so I threw a small pouch of these cones in the order.

I think I will need to play around with steep parameters for this one. This time, I used 4 cones for 12 oz of water, steeped for 3 min at 205°F, which is close to the given parameters. Actually I steeped it for three minutes, sipped it, and then decided it was too weak so I put the cones back in for a bit. It came out decent, but not as good as I was hoping. I think my downfall was putting it back in. Or maybe I need fewer cones for longer. I dunno, but the main flavors were general earthiness and maybe some dark chocolate, but not very predominantly. It reminds me a good amount of Black Dragon Pearls. I think it needs to be a little lighter for my tastes, and hopefully some sweetness will come out. Fortunately I have enough cones to play around with them a bit.

205 °F / 96 °C 3 min, 0 sec 12 OZ / 354 ML

This sample was a gift from an anonymous Steepster friend! I’ve really enjoyed Mandala’s black teas so far, so I’m happy I get to try another one. This is sort of a flowering tea, the long Yunnan tea leaves are tied into a cone shape which then unfurls into a little blossom when it’s steeped. The cones are a little over an inch high, and striped with black and gold. The website recommends 2-3 cones per 8 ounces of water, so I used 3 cones and then used about 10 ounces instead just to be sure.

When I looked into my steeping basket, there were cute little anemone-like creatures in there! This is a simple but yummy tea. It’s quite malty with a thick and smooth texture. There’s a little bit of that Yunnan savory note, but there’s also a touch of dark and sweet molasses. Tasty and very easy to drink! :)

Flavors: Malt, Molasses, Smooth, Thick

200 °F / 93 °C 3 min, 0 sec 10 OZ / 295 ML

A little while back, my sister went to the opening of a William Ashleys store and came back with a cute little teapot (http://instagram.com/p/wOp7cPvJV5/). I have been trying to think of the perfect tea to use in it first and today I finally recalled the flowering tea cones Sil gave to me a few months back. And so, I got to brewing (http://instagram.com/p/wOqO1avJXl/).

Now as I sip on the tea I am surprised at how good it is because usually I have found the flowering teas to be more about the looks than the taste. This one actually delivers. It has a slight astringency that underlies the taste but for some reason it seems to work in this case. It provides a nice contrast to the sweet maltiness and the fruity undertones of the tea. Yum.

I received a sample of this with one of my Mandala orders.
I really shouldn’t be writing anything about this tea. I’m still pretty sick – not sure how true my taster is. I’m just tired of drinking lemon tea, ginger, honey etc. Desperately needed real tea tonight.
This is real tea. I’m finding it really malty, little yeasty (bready), hint of chocolate. It’s doing the trick. I have more and will try it again when I can actually breathe.

i really like this…and they’re good for carrying around with you instead of tea bags.

OMGsrsly

I… still haven’t tried mine. I really need to get on that.

Tabby

Neat! I’ve never seen tea like that before.

ashmanra

Now I want some of these…

i’m actually only sad about not being able to get in on Mandala’s tea deal – trying to hold off on more puerh, but no qualms about buying tea…sadly i was on vacation heh

Thanks for this one Sil!

It’s my last tea of the night! I feel like I got a pretty good amount of stuff in today. I mean, no sipdowns but at least I tried a new tea and had fun doing unfamiliar things with familiar blends.

As for this one, I steeped it in my glass Octo mug so I could watch it bloom. I have to say, it’s definitely not the prettiest bloom. In fact, mine kinda came apart in the cup. Taste wise, it was somehow better than I anticipated; though I don’t know what I was anticipating other than it was not this. The tea was not the most mind blowing straight black, but it does have one thing really going for it: it’s very malty. And I do love malty blacks.

So again; thanks Sil! I think I’ll enjoy the last two blooms!

Nice. Glad you enjoyed it :) they’re fun to look at too