Flowering Black Tea Cones

Edit tea info Last updated by Alphakitty

• “These handy little flowers have become my go-to tea to carry in my purse. I can bring them with me to a restaurant, drop a few in my cup, let them steep & fish them out with a fork when my tea is...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 2485 tasting notes
  • “that settles it. i prefer this western brew 4-5 cones for 4 mins or so rather than gaiwan. heh I saved one little cone to try out with my gaiwan and while it's a pleasant enough cup, i like the...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4041 tasting notes
  • “Love this tea! The flavor is a nice malty brew with caramel and pecan notes with a silky texture. What I enjoy most about the Flowering Cones is it can take a beating: when I was on my cruise...” Read full tasting note
    awkwardsoul 935 tasting notes
  • “This one came from *Terri HarpLady*! This one has been on my shopping list, now newly named wishlist (?), for a long time. I love flowering teas. They are definitely beautiful to watch bloom, it...” Read full tasting note
    Lala1 709 tasting notes

From Mandala Tea

High grade Yunnan spring leaves are hand-sewn into these lovely little bundles of black tea joy! Watch the cones open up and impart their glorious flavor unto the water. The tea liquor is malty in flavor with a sweet aftertaste. Black tea is produced by fully oxidizing a tea leaf once it has been picked. You will likely enjoy doing only a few longer steepings, but black tea can be prepared Gong Fu style as well.

About Mandala Tea View company

These handy little flowers have become my go-to tea to carry in my purse. I can bring them with me to a restaurant, drop a few in my cup, let them steep & fish them out with a fork when my tea is strong enough. I don’t need a strainer, because they are tidy, with the leaves all tied together in the classic flower formation. The resulting cup is malty, smooth, & sweet. And they resteep nicely too. :)

__Morgana__

They look adorable! Shopping list. Sigh.

Fjellrev

Shopping list squared.

that settles it. i prefer this western brew 4-5 cones for 4 mins or so rather than gaiwan. heh I saved one little cone to try out with my gaiwan and while it’s a pleasant enough cup, i like the depth of flavour you get from a western brew much better. :) thanks for the share terri!

Nicole

Those sound good. And they look so cute!

they are SUPER CUTE when they bloom and look pretty funky before brewing as well :)

Love this tea!

The flavor is a nice malty brew with caramel and pecan notes with a silky texture. What I enjoy most about the Flowering Cones is it can take a beating: when I was on my cruise I’d just toss a few in my travel mug and let it infuse away without worry of oversteeping.

I personally prefer a longer steep with this tea, but the short 1 through 5 minute steeps were pretty good and I got quite a bit of tea from two little cones.

Full review on my blog, The Oolong Owl http://oolongowl.com/flowering-cones-black-tea-mandala-tea-oolong-owl-tea-review/ Black Tea Week with Sunset Owl (shhh, he’s missing feet!) I took some cool pictures of this blooming tea, so check it out!

Boiling

and they’re pretty!

Terri HarpLady

I need to get more of these, they are handy to have around.

CelebriTEA

These are very pretty :-)

This one came from Terri HarpLady!

This one has been on my shopping list, now newly named wishlist (?), for a long time. I love flowering teas. They are definitely beautiful to watch bloom, it is almost like I have no idea how that even works. Definitely an art. But I don’t really care for the taste of flowering teas. So when I came across this one, I was super curious, it was a flowering tea but made of black tea. Right up my alley.

I only used 2 cones for a cup because I wasn’t sure how strong it would be. In hindsight, I should have used 3 or 4 cones but I have enough to try again. Definitely beautiful to watch the cones “flower”.

This one brewed up a sweet, malty black tea. I am getting honey notes, but very specifically barley honey notes. It is quite mild on the boldness scale but I think that is more to do with not using enough tea. This one is similar to some of the black pearl teas I have tried but with more sweetness.

Edit: I did a resteep with the same two cones, but for 4 minutes. Definitely a lot stronger with the 4 minute steep time. less honey flavour, it is strong but not bold. Pretty smooth taste. I think, though, I would prefer more tea with less steep time.

205 °F / 96 °C 2 min, 0 sec 8 OZ / 236 ML
Stephanie

I almost bought this one the other day. Perhaps I should have! :/

NofarS

I also kind of liked the “shopping list” label better.
These look fantastic.

Lala

To me a shopping list and wish list are two different things. Ha ha. But I guess I can just keep using it the same as before. Its whatever I make it be I guess.

__Morgana__

Agree. Shopping list means I’m more committed to buying it. Wish list is more pie in the sky. ;-)

Tried to brew these using the method on the package—try 1, 2, then 5 min steeps with 2-3 cones for 8 oz water.

Second steep: A bit better than the first, but only just.

I’m going to try the 5 min steep, but overall I think these cones require much more time.

Such pretty little things. Sweet, malty & smooth.

I steeped them today for the first time for a tea tasting party. I used 4 cones for about 16 ounces of bottled water. Left them in the little glass pot for probably 20 minutes all told.

I tasted it first at about 10 minutes. It was strong but not bitter. I steeped another little 16 ounce pot with 3 cones and tried it at about 5 minutes. It was obviously not as strong, but it was smoother. I honestly liked them both ways.

Everyone at the party liked this one a lot. There was one attendee who was new to our group and she mainly does bagged grocery store greens. She is now a Yunnan convert. :) We also did Harney’s Apricot Black, Butiki’s Rose Violet Calendula Oolong, Boston Tea Company’s Lemon Honey Chamomile Premium Rooibos, Mandala’s Morning Sun (which, by the way, is also fantastic with a spot of cream), New Mexico Tea’s Cream Earl Grey and Capital Teas’ Dragon Pearls. I had planned to do another 3 or 4 but we were all floating after these, even with small cups!

boychik

Yay tea party! Are they similar to black dragon pearls?

Nicole

Similar. I would say they aren’t quite as malty as many of the pearls I’ve tried and maybe a little milder. They hold together like a flowering tea, as far as presentation goes, rather than coming completely apart like the pearls.

Nicole

But thus far, everything I’ve tried from Mandala (all yunnans, I think) has all been well worth purchasing. :)

boychik

I love Mandala blacks. If I was a rich girl…

I’m not usually a fan of blooming teas, but I can’t say I’d ever had a blooming black tea before. I can definitely say I would again now though! It’s beautiful from the presentation standpoint, but I was more thrilled with how it delivered in flavor.

These little flowers are incredibly rich and malty, with sweet caramel and honey notes. And two cones at 4 minutes makes a surprisingly flavorful cup. I could definitely see myself pick up more of these.

Stephanie

These are on my want to try someday list :)