Wuliang Mountain-2006

Pu-erh Tea
Earth
Edit tea info Last updated by graceatblb

• “I have been in the midst of a very stressful time. To calm myself I drank the samples that Garret sent me with my birthday order. *1st Steep*-30 seconds Garret obviously knows my tea tastes...” Read full tasting note
    graceatblb 92 tasting notes
  • “Pu-erh is my everyday drinking tea. I had never tried Mandala's wares before this tea. I must say, the cake smelled nice out of the box. However, breaking it apart carefully, it became more...” Read full tasting note
    lukep 15 tasting notes

From Mandala Tea

An enjoyable everyday drinking ripe tea! We purchased a case of these in 2007 and get this one out every month or so and enjoy the heck out of it. Plenty of earthiness and richness, no off flavors and a nice red color lent to the tea water. Sweeter in later infusions. Brew some up in a gaiwan or your favorite yixing. Many buyers will drop some of this into their tea thermoses and go for nice long infusions that brew up strong and black!!

About Mandala Tea View company

1st Steep-30 seconds
Garret obviously knows my tea tastes very well because I loved this tea at first steep. It was smoky but, again, not that heavy lapsang smoke but a sweeter more pleasant smoke.

2nd Steep-45 seconds
Very mildly smoky. There’s also a nice leathery note. Sweet on the finish. It’s getting that pipe smoke taste.

3rd Steep-1 minute
The leathery note is still there with the sweet finish. There is also a bit of clove spice. Very nice.

4th Steep-1.30 minutes
So very smooth with a vanilla note. Not exactly sweet but more of a nutty type of vanilla. My favorite steep so far.

5th Steep-2 minutes
Vanilla buttercream. That’s about as close as I can describe this one. It was sweet vanilla with a nice buttery note.

I had to give up on this one earlier than I wanted to. My teapot got shuffled into the sink while I was reserving my leaves. But I really liked this tea. Very much. I really loved the sweeter later steeps which is odd for me considering I tend to gravitate towards smoky teas. When I was planning my Mandala order, it came down to this one or a Yong de Organic cake and I picked the Yong de. I don’t necessarily regret it but I will be buying a cake of this one in the soontime.

Bonnie

Tea is so good for stress! I hope things improve for you. Taking the time to be still and drink your tea can create clarity. We think we’re alone in our troubles, but people do care!

Terri HarpLady

Hang in there Grace!
This tea sounds interesting, thanks for the review!

graceatblb

Thanks guys! Tea’s been pretty much the only thing keeping me from insanity right now.

Pu-erh is my everyday drinking tea. I had never tried Mandala’s wares before this tea. I must say, the cake smelled nice out of the box. However, breaking it apart carefully, it became more apparent that the raw material was not very well-preserved. Almost no large leaf fragments.
Upon brewing, my suspicions were confirmed. The liquor was dark like soy sauce. Pu-erh liquor can be dark, but it should never be cloudy. Furthermore, the taste/smell did not agree with me at all. After drinking only one cup, I felt somewhat sick.

Flavors: Earth

205 °F / 96 °C
SimpliciTEA

Bummer you had such a bad experience with this tea.