Golden Needle Premium

Cocoa, Hay, Malt, Sweet Potatoes
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

Available from 1 seller.

• “This was my morning tea...well whatever passes for my morning after staying up all night and getting a 3? hours nap. Still enjoying this one quite a bit but with all the varieties of black teas...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 5351 tasting notes
  • “Sipdown, 116. This is a really nice Yunnan black tea. Sweet potatoes, honey, a bit of hay, but not too much earthiness, which always turns me off. A tasty tea for the morning.” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 2030 tasting notes
  • “I have had Golden Needle on my “To Buy” list every time I have made a Mandala order and always ended up picking something else. I am regretting that now in a seriously bad way. It was included as a...” Read full tasting note
    graceatblb 92 tasting notes
  • “I have so little to compare this with, mostly being a green/oolong girl. But a guest coming in a couple weeks drinks copious amounts of black tea, so naturally I had to investigate as many as I...” Read full tasting note
    Flowery 142 tasting notes

From Mandala Tea

These slender spring buds manifest as beautiful golden needles when dried and provide rich orange liquor with a complex malty sweet flavor.

Black tea is produced by fully oxidizing a tea leaf once it has been picked. It is a heartier tea and should be steeped with higher temperature water. You will likely enjoy doing only a few longer steepings, but black tea can be prepared Gong Fu style.

Golden Needle is particularly suited for excellent Gong Fu brewing!

About Mandala Tea View company

This was my morning tea…well whatever passes for my morning after staying up all night and getting a 3? hours nap. Still enjoying this one quite a bit but with all the varieties of black teas that i have from our travelling BBB Box, i’m not sure that this will be a restock. Not that it’s not delicious, but i’m not sure it falls in the top percentile :)

TheTeaFairy

Can’t wait to try my sample of this :-)

2030 tasting notes

I am jealous of your ever decreasing cupboard lol

Dinosara

Haha it’s about to go up a bit because I have some orders coming in. I have, for the most part, avoided swaps, though, which are dangerous, hahaha.

I have had Golden Needle on my “To Buy” list every time I have made a Mandala order and always ended up picking something else. I am regretting that now in a seriously bad way. It was included as a sample in my last Mandala order and it is one of those “I could die happy while drinking this” type of tea.

Dry the tea kind of smelled fruity. Like apricots. But brewed the flavor profile was completely different. It was malty and chocolaty in the most amazing way. The sip starts out with a malty smooth flavor but kicks in with a bit of bite but smooths out into a chocolaty finish. It kind of reminds me a little bit of Laoshan Black but I think I prefer this one. It has a bit more kick to it. It will be a part of my next order and if it’s not, please remind me what an idiot I am.

Garret

I shall remind you, dear friend :)

Terri HarpLady

Yeah, you’ll have to remind me too! This sounds tasty!

Garret

Ok, Terri, I guess I’m a gonna have to start a list :)

I want in too!!

graceatblb

Thanks, Garret :)

I have so little to compare this with, mostly being a green/oolong girl. But a guest coming in a couple weeks drinks copious amounts of black tea, so naturally I had to investigate as many as I can. And I’ve started here. Should I just stop now? My goal is to serve my guest something she’ll independently notice and ask about and want to make at home, and this would have to accomplish that – it’s just delicious! I guess I don’t really have a new take on it, since the popular ’sweet, chocolatey, malty" descriptions are dead on, except to say that compared with your standard legacy blend this is much more gentle and complex in all the ways I love about oolong.

Such a beautiful tea. Brews up a nice dark orange with lots of complexity and malty goodness. Had a nice gong fu session with this tea this morning, and can’t get that wonderfully distinctive Yunnan flavor out of my head. Hearty goodness through multiple brews.

Garret

One of my very favorite hong cha! Perfect for gong fu cha. I am so happy that you are diggin’ this one, my friend!!!

Dry leaf aroma: Cocoa sweetness with a hint of malt.
Dry leaf appearance: http://instagram.com/p/r2qmImlcEX/

Wet leaf aroma: Damp hay with vegetal notes.
Wet leaf appearance: http://instagram.com/p/r2-jL9lcDw/

Preparation: Initial 15 second rise, then brewed western style in an all-glass infuser mug.

First steeping: 4 minutes 30 seconds at 205 degrees. Freshly steeped the aroma is a fusion of hay, malt, sweet potatoes and cocoa. The liquor is a lovely dark amber and the flavor is smooth and malty with undertones of cocoa and the slightest aftertaste of hay. As the cup cools the taste remains strong with no changes in the flavor profile.

Second steeping: 5 minutes at 205 degrees. The second brewing was very much like the first, though not quite as rich.

I received this as a free sample in my order. Thank you Mandala, I enjoyed this quite a bit!

Flavors: Cocoa, Hay, Malt, Sweet Potatoes

Tealizzy

Sounds yummy!

This is a free sample with my recent order. Thank you Garret!
This time i decided to brew western style.
1tsp 8oz 205F 2 min
This tea is exceptional. Sweet, full of flavor. i didnt detect much earthiness. I had it plain but it tasted like i added some maple syrup. You dont need to sweeten this tea for sure. At the end of the sip its kind of spicy cool mint.
I still have some left to make it gong fu style (my beloved method). I may change my rating, I still believe western style doesn’t do a justice to this tea

Flavors: Malt, Sweet Potatoes

Dexter

Why did I not order some of this? Me thinks there is another Mandala order in my near future.

boychik

And i secretly hoping for another Mandala sale…
You know I’m going to a NYC tea festival tomorrow and my hubby suggested I should pack all my teas and sell or give them out. What a fool. They are like my babies;)

Dexter

NYC tea festival – I am so jealous. I don’t think anyone else here drinks tea. Definitely nothing as fun as a tea festival. Have fun and don’t let your hubby get a hold of your “babies”. I can relate, I’m attached to some of my teas too. :))

boychik

Thank you. I’ll take pics if they allow and post them here

Couldn’t resist the Mandala sale, and as always the customer care was top notch—got samples and a wonderful, surprisingly long note from Garret tucked in with my tea!

It’s no secret I love Golden Needle. Golden Monkey seems more popular in general here, but for me it’s the needle all the way (ehrm, that came out wrong). I like the way it tends to balance sweetness with a thicker body, and this is a prime example of that—the body on this is exquisite, nearly brothy. I love it. I’ve still got Shang’s in my stash to try (and can’t wait!), but it’s so great to know I’ve got a really good version of one of my favorite tea types on hand. Yay.

Been drinking my fancy straight teas in the evening while acting full on old lady, yeesh—I’m growing my hair out which has lead me down the well worn internet rabbit hole that is the Long Hair Community and next thing I know I’m on the couch drinking tea with cats on me while perusing video tutorials on bunning hair and looking up old fashioned dressing tables, all while Golden Girls serves as background noise. I’ve even had a recent resurgent interest in trashy historical romance novels of all things (trying to find someone I can stomach like Lisa Kleypas). Next I am going to wind up doilying the house if I don’t check myself, ee.

__Morgana__

LOL. Just stop at the rat thing, ok?

Anna

Haha, but I SO want you to do the doilies! So underrated! So fancy!

ifjuly

oh god, hope so Morgana!

in lieu of doilies Anna, i think i want some old fashioned hollywood-y nightgowns. i think a pod person has come and stolen me in the night, don’t recognize myself.

Anna

You would pull one of those off! Seriously! I mean, uh. You know what I mean. (But feel free to post pictures either way, hurr hurr.)

ifjuly

you are the funniest, Miss!

Anna

Oh, man – nothing is worse than being confronted by really bad jokes you forgot you made days after the fact. If anyone needs me, I’ll be under the couch.

Another tea that is easy on my empty tummy. Tony was in Kansas City all week, so his cupboards are pretty bare. After our morning cup in bed, He got up & went to the grocery to get some supplies. I made a cup of this & proceeded to languish in the bubble bath. They are talking about snowmagedan again, lol. Either it will, or it won’t. I have a rare weekend off, with no interest in drama, so I’ll just sip tea in my pjs with Tony, & if it falls, I’ll enjoy it.

This is a lovely cup of malt, hay, & sweet potato.

Tony’s back, & I hear him fixing breakfast, plus my cup is empty. Time to set the iPad down, wash my hair, & get on with the pajama wearing.