Golden Strand Black Tea

Caramel, Cherry, Chocolate, Honey, Malt
Edit tea info Last updated by graceatblb

• “Garret included this one in my birthday order as a sample. I was overjoyed because it was on my list before pu'er craziness took over and I added another cake instead. This one was really really...” Read full tasting note
    graceatblb 92 tasting notes
  • “So I had my water boiled and ready to go, and I knew which tea I wanted to drink, and I thought I knew exactly where this particular tea was. Wrong. There are only 5 possible places in my home...” Read full tasting note
    scribbles 240 tasting notes
  • “A super generous free sample from Mandala with my last order! Woot! What an unexpected tea this is. First cup of the day for me, vaguely remembered it's unusual because it's very, well, golden...” Read full tasting note
    ifjuly 613 tasting notes
  • “Another surprise. The aroma convinced me this tea would be a bit too thin and sharp, even tinny, for my tastes. But tasting, while leaving in place those high metallic notes, rounds them out with...” Read full tasting note
    Flowery 142 tasting notes

From Mandala Tea

High grade Yunnan spring tea buds briefly fermented and carefully controlled to create a radiantly golden looking black tea! Leaves are shiny and still contain the downey hairs of spring. The aroma is sweet, carmel-like. Truly wonderful. Flavor is mild, smooth, and delicate. A stronger cup can be brewed with longer infusions or more leaf.

Basic Brewing Instructions:

Black tea should be given a 10 second rinse with the same temperature water as used for brewing. 208˚ F water temperature. (Just below boiling.) Use 1-2 tsps. per 8oz. depending on the strength desired. Recommended first steeping of 1minute. Add 1 minute for each subsequent steeping up to 5 minutes. Alternately, try one long steeping of 3-5 minutes. Tea brewing is meant to be a joyful exploration. There are no hard and fast rules. Experiment with the quantity of tea that you use, and steeping times. Enjoy discovering what your preferences are. They may change day to day. See Tea Brewing 101 for further instructions.

About Mandala Tea View company

Garret included this one in my birthday order as a sample. I was overjoyed because it was on my list before pu’er craziness took over and I added another cake instead. This one was really really good.

First of all, the leaves are so pretty to look at. They are these golden bits of pretty. I almost felt bad pouring water over them. And they smell like the best caramel you’ve ever had. As I said yesterday in my review of Long Life, black teas for me fall into 5 categories fruity, chocolaty, malty, roasty and kick you in the butt. This one falls right in the malty category. There is a bit of nuttiness and even some chocolate notes but it’s not one of those “Good Morning!" with a punch in the face teas. It’s mild and gentle. Golden Strand is that quiet kid in school who always does well even though you don’t hear from him much in class.

I’m going to steep this one a bit more. I only had time for two steeps tonight. I’ll probably update this tea note tomorrow.

TeaBrat

oooh, this looks good!

Oh man this sounds tasty…

So I had my water boiled and ready to go, and I knew which tea I wanted to drink, and I thought I knew exactly where this particular tea was. Wrong. There are only 5 possible places in my home where this tea could possibly be hiding, so where is it??!! It took me 10 minutes to find, and wouldn’t you know it was in the desk right beside me. Hiding behind the box that it came in.

So I prepared fresh water, and am now sipping on sweet caramel goodness. It was worth the hunt. This tea is so silky smooth. I bought this tea because of the way it looked in the photo – all the long golden strands. I just knew I had to have it.

Another delicious tea from Mandala – thank you!

JustJames

ha ha ha, 5! like my lab! oooooh…… not a good sign. there goes my mind.

Dexter

lol you know you’re addicted to tea when……

scribbles

YES!!! :D

A super generous free sample from Mandala with my last order! Woot!

What an unexpected tea this is. First cup of the day for me, vaguely remembered it’s unusual because it’s very, well, golden (the dry leaves are gorgeous, big long light golden branches), so I figured it’d be lighter and sweeter than black tea generally is but was still knocked for a loop—the brewed color is very unusual, not super light like white tea, not dark with warm brown tones like black tea, not bright golden green like green…just kind of its own thing. Hard to describe. And then the taste!—it’s so light-bright and sweet in this way that builds so that by the end of the cup your mouth sort of buzzes with an almost numbing (kind of like mint) quality mixed with a very clean sweetness. I’ve never tasted tea like this before. So glad I got to sample it—I think once Black Friday madness stockpiled orders settle down I will order some of this. Really unusual and great. It wakes up your palate in a different way than strong black tea, almost the opposite approach where the flavor is zingy (but not in a fruit-tart way thankfully) and so sparkling clean it refreshes you awake. And that sweetness is a beautiful accompaniment; delicious without being rich, it manages to fit right in in contributing to that feeling of bright refreshment.

Used quite a bit of leaf, probably nearly 2 teaspoons, because it’s one of those teas that’s hard to measure as it’s so fluffy-long and unbroken. (And because free Mandala samples are awesomely generous—I reckon I can make 2 more cups!)

boychik

how very intriguing!

Another surprise. The aroma convinced me this tea would be a bit too thin and sharp, even tinny, for my tastes. But tasting, while leaving in place those high metallic notes, rounds them out with a deeper umami and brings it all together in a lighter-flavored but balanced and refreshing tea. While I’d be very happy having this any time at all, it simply doesn’t win a spot in my cabinet with competition so far from both Laoshan black and Golden Needle (and very few spots for black tea at all). Still, an excellent, excellent tea.

Tried this after ordering from Mandala. The color is beautiful—very golden and the leaves are light and airy. This is a beautiful pillowy tea. Sadly the taste doesn’t seem to match. The tea has a strange fruity aftertaste that I find unnerving. Not my favorite by a long shot.

Thanks to Sil for letting me sample some of this wonderful tea! I’ve had a bit of a rough day, and needed something tasty to cheer me up. This was pretty perfect. Ultra smooth, caramelly sweet, hay… not usually the flavour profile of a black tea that I look for, but it was so perfectly smooth here that it was delicious. Mandala is definitely on my list to make an order from eventually, even though pu’erhs are not my favourite. Thanks Sil :)

really glad you enjoyed this one… i’m a fan!

woot! still really loving this tea and i’m glad that i got to share a little with kittenna. THinking about buying more with mandala’s sale even though i’m not yet finished this one, in part because it’ll take 10 days to get here. and that makes it november lol. soooooo goood.

Kittenna

Kittenna is grateful for the share! :D

Sipdown….
I am done with this tea, used one long Western style infusion for around 3 minutes. This is definitely a nice golden yunnan type of tea. Not bitter, lighter in body with notes of sweet potato, malt & cocoa. I don’t know that I’ve ever had a yunnan black tea I didn’t like. I am enjoying this as a breakfast tea.

Nice big golden leaves that fill your mouth up with caramelie goodness. Leaves a slightly but not unpleasant dry mouth feel afterwards. This tea is not woodsy or grassy at all, but is instead more like dark honey, sour cherry, or a smooth liquor. It tastes as if it should be drunk while wearing a silk robe while sitting in a red leather chair with mahogany wood floors. I’ve always imagined it as a suave, luxury tea.

Flavors: Caramel, Cherry

(From the Unflavored Traveling Tea Box)

First, the leaves of this tea are so pretty – long and golden, twisted tightly into place. The smell of the dry leaves is very sweet. It reminds me of homemade caramel sauce. After steeping the caramel smell is replaced by the smell of baked bread. Yum.

This tea reminds me of a good grainy bread with honey drizzled on it. There are malty and caramel notes, too, but it’s the biscuity flavor that has me swooning. I can see myself drinking a lot of this tea. Another one added to my shopping list.

MzPriss

love it!

mj

That sounds amazing! I just added it to my wish list

TeaBrat

it’s on my wish list now too, hee hee

Veronica

It’s really good! I’ve never oredered from Mandala before, but my first order is going to be awesome for me and painful to my pocketbook! :)

kimquat

One of my favorite companies! There are so many good teas. (:

Nicole

This is one of my absolute favorites from Mandala. I’m coming up on needing to make an order with them, myself. It will only be my second order but all the teas were so good with my first order that I am totally sunk at this point. :)