Cloud and Mist

Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by adagio breeze

• “I used 2.5 heaped teaspoons for (approx.) 14 ounces of water, let it steep for a minute. I had to stay and watch the leaves dance around. BRIGHT bright green leaves. So pretty. It brewed up a very...” Read full tasting note
    kmewrd 18 tasting notes
  • “Whee, first rating for this one! I used about 1.5 heaped tsp leaf for ~8 oz water that was left to cool 3 minutes after boiling. Liquor brewed up very clear & almost colorless, with a strong...” Read full tasting note
    adagio breeze 92 tasting notes
  • “4g / 200ml glaspot Single infusion 2m @ 80C Very mild vegal taste. Light taste with a long aftertaste. Kinda fresh. Will try more leaf if possible.” Read full tasting note
    Dagwed 216 tasting notes
  • “I am almost never excited by an unflavored green tea, but this one is right up there with some of my all time favorite oolongs. I'm as curious as anyone how it got there. Particularly when I try...” Read full tasting note
    Flowery 137 tasting notes

From Mandala Tea

Cloud and Mist translates from “Yun Wu” and is named for the misty mountain slopes upon which this beautiful and delicious tea grows. Our Cloud and Mist tea is grown within a nature reserve on Huangshan (Yellow Mountain) and is nourished by the cooling and misting climate there, yielding a leaf that is rich in vitamins and theanine!

The growers there take a step beyond growing organically by practicing the art of biodynamic farming – it’s like homeopathy for the land and the farmers have to be very tuned in to every little thing that is happening in their soil.

The dried leaf is green with twists and turns. The aroma of the dried leaf when placed into a warmed brewing vessel yields an aroma that is rich and buttery and when cooling turns sweet with hints of cinnamon! Flavor of the brewed cup is sweet and crisp, with a hint of nutty and fruity notes. A wonderful and classic green tea!

The photo of the mountain is where this tea is grown. We were there in April of 2012. Look closely and you will see many tea bushes.

About Mandala Tea View company

I used 2.5 heaped teaspoons for (approx.) 14 ounces of water, let it steep for a minute. I had to stay and watch the leaves dance around. BRIGHT bright green leaves. So pretty. It brewed up a very pale shade of greenish gold. Almost colorless. My taste in green tea has become very selective lately, for reasons unknown to me…but at first sip I immediately loved this. Oh MY. It’s very delicately sweet with a taste that makes me think of clear springs and morning dew. Slightly buttery, yes! Very slightly. Not grassy at all, but softly vegetal. I’m getting notes of honeysuckle. Not the taste, but the texture calls to mind the soft insides of flower petals. As it cools I catch that “hint of cinnamon” spiciness, but it’s very quiet and subdued. Demure. A very gentle and well-balanced tea, I think. The name suits it well. I love it more and more with each steep.
Holy crap. I need more of this now.

Stephanie

Sounds delish

Liquor brewed up very clear & almost colorless, with a strong aroma of cooked vegetables, more green & less buttery than that of comparable teas I’ve had. It was very drinkable, with little astringency and a rather juicy mouthfeel. Didn’t really wow me, but maybe further infusions will reveal something more interesting.

4g / 200ml glaspot
Single infusion 2m @ 80C

Very mild vegal taste. Light taste with a long aftertaste. Kinda fresh.
Will try more leaf if possible.

I am almost never excited by an unflavored green tea, but this one is right up there with some of my all time favorite oolongs. I’m as curious as anyone how it got there. Particularly when I try to put it into words… hay over seaweed broth? Nothing about those words makes me think this is one of the very few teas that I plan to keep on hand at all times. But I do and I will.

Garret

This is great!! Thank you for this. Your review put a smile on my face, for sure. I’m looking forward to having this tea from this same grower for a long, long time. It won’t be long and the spring crop will become available, once again.

This green tea is one of my favorites. It has a vegetable like smell and has a bright and clean flavor. Clouds and Mist is also less bitter than many of the greens that I have tried, so this is the tea that I usually drink. I have yet to try a green tea that I like better!