Mandala Tea Silver Buds Raw 2011

Pu-erh Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Dexter

• “Not that I need another reason to make Mandala my next place to put in a tea order, but this tea has done it. Dexter3657 had generously included this in a swap some time ago - so thank you...” Read full tasting note
    scribbles 200 tasting notes
  • “Rambling for a minute first then will get to the tea. I've been trying to get my sample box under control. Sip down all the bits and pieces that I have. Was wanting to continue that tonight, but...” Read full tasting note
    Dexter 697 tasting notes
  • “this was my first tea of the day. I knew today was going to be a bad day so i wanted to get it started right. I managed to get in a few steepings of this while getting ready for work and it was...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4723 tasting notes
  • “Another sample from Garret. After the first steeping I was thinking "What is Garret thinking?" I like my pu'er dark and earthy. This didn't look dark and earthy. After drinking steeping 5 I can...” Read full tasting note
    swapilot 101 tasting notes

From Mandala Tea

From the same village that we procured our 2008 cake from, these silver buds are fresh and just as wonderful!

2011 spring picked leaves in a 250 gram cake!

We hear from both raw tea afficionado’s and newcomers to raw tea, alike and are so excited by the feedback and the sales of this tea that we will commission another pressing of this.

This has become a favorite tea for many brewed in the tea thermos and tastes great even at temps well below boiling. We find the sweetness and slight smokiness of it so enjoyable and never tire of this tea. One evening, while entertaining guests, I prepared this tea gong fu style in a gaiwan and used a gallon of water before we called the tea exhausted! That’s a whole lotta tea value – cup after cup after cup.

Not sure about buying an entire cake? Opt for the one ounce sample and give this tea a whirl.

About Mandala Tea View company

Not that I need another reason to make Mandala my next place to put in a tea order, but this tea has done it. Dexter3657 had generously included this in a swap some time ago – so thank you Dexter3657 for introducing me to Mandala! And thank you Mandala for providing quality tea’s…can’t wait to place my order!

This is a lighter pu’er but not light on flavour. The flavour profile is deliciously smooth, earthy and nutty. I have a silver tip pu’er from another company…not nearly as tasty as this sample.

Dexter

Glad you are enjoying Mandala. Always love to share good teas with others. (I’m going to put a couple more of their teas in the mail to you….). You introduced me to Tao, trying to return the favor.

Rambling for a minute first then will get to the tea. I’ve been trying to get my sample box under control. Sip down all the bits and pieces that I have. Was wanting to continue that tonight, but not in the mood for flavored “candy” tea. This was in that box. Garrett from Mandala generously included a sample of it with my last order. Have I mentioned how AMAZING, AWESOME, INCREDIBLE their customer service is? I’ve dealt with a lot of good, even great online customer service from the various tea companies, and Mandala stands out even from those great experiences. If the rest of the teas I ordered from them are anything like this one, I’m going to be a regular customer for a very long time.

I’ve never drank a plain raw pu’erh before (I know there are several in my cupboard, I just ordered a few to see what I thought and hadn’t gotten around to trying any until tonight).

OMG!!!!!!!!!! I don’t have the words/vocabulary/palate to explain how good this is. I didn’t really have any idea how to go about steeping it western style, it looked like a green tea to me, so I did 80C for 2 minutes. Either I got lucky or this tea could be even better than this (nahhhhhh that’s NOT possible). I like the ripe pu’erhs that I’ve tried. They are earthy, musty, bold, kind of in your face. This has the same flavor profile but is much more delicate and subtle. I LOVE this.
If you are nervous about all the nasty things you’ve heard about pu’erh or if you have tried a shu and couldn’t get past the “dirt” taste, I recommend you find something like this. Great Great tea.

EDIT: I just wanted to add that steeps 2,3, and 4 of this were equally amazing. Not much difference between 1,2,3 steep 4 has lost some of the Pu’erh earthiness and is more mellow, but still good. I’ve had a really good night with this tea.

Mandala Tea

Thank you, my friend, for taking the time to write about your experience with this tea. I am also extremely grateful for your kind words regarding our customer experience. I truly appreciate. We will do whatever we can to help make anyone’s tea experience a great one. All the best!!

this was my first tea of the day. I knew today was going to be a bad day so i wanted to get it started right. I managed to get in a few steepings of this while getting ready for work and it was enjoyable enough that i may be doing it more in future. I really like this one a bunch. just the hint of the smokiness if super tasty to me.

Another sample from Garret. After the first steeping I was thinking “What is Garret thinking?” I like my pu’er dark and earthy. This didn’t look dark and earthy. After drinking steeping 5 I can tell you what Garret was thinking, it is time to blow open some doors for this guy. This is excellent pu’er, earthy but in a subdued way and the flavor is awesome. I would write more but steeping 6 is demanding to be joyfully made!

200 °F / 93 °C 0 min, 30 sec 5 OZ / 147 ML
Garret

Funny…. that’s exactly what I was thinking :) Raw pu’er is a whole nuther world to explore. Started you off with an easy drinker. Raw pu’er newbies and seasoned drinkers alike enjoy this one. So happy that you are enjoying it, my friend!