100 gram Mandala Silver Buds Raw Pu'er - 2012

Pu-erh Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Dexter3657
190 °F / 87 °C

1 Tasting Note View all

• “This tea got me into trouble. As I was sipping away, writing my review, I started looking at tea ware. Once the 3 hour tea session was done, I dented my paypal account with a yixing pot. Be...” Read full tasting note
    awkwardsoul 935 tasting notes

From Mandala Tea

Yet another top-shelf tea procured by us during our April 2012 tea buying trip in China. This is our 3rd production of a silver needle tea. The 2008 and the 2011 editions of this are aging so well and this one will follow in their footsteps for sure as a little brother. We chose this material and had only 20 kgs pressed at a small pu’er workshop in SW China. This is our first 100 gram raw pressing.

This tea is very tasty and both new and old raw pu’er drinkers will find their senses satisfied in a way that only Yong de area grown teas can accomplish. While many will brew this with boiling water, others will be happier with this in its smoother form at temps between 175 and 190. Try it both ways! Experiment.

This tea is entirely hand-processed from the picking of the sun-dried buds to the pressing with old stone molds.

A must-try tea of 2012, year of the dragon!

About Mandala Tea View company

1 Tasting Note

This tea got me into trouble.

As I was sipping away, writing my review, I started looking at tea ware. Once the 3 hour tea session was done, I dented my paypal account with a yixing pot. Be warned! Actually, it’s probably all my fault, I get into trouble all the time!

This cake – gentle and beautiful! Apple, floral, apricot, earthy, and mineral notes with a fantastic smoothness in later infusions. I can see this tea being loved greatly by a white tea lover – it’s almost similar in intensity, but with a earthy flavor and better resteep ability.

I was very impressed how little smoke and astringency was present despite it being a 2012 – the least smoke and astringency I’ve had in a 2012 raw cake so far! Very nice!

Full review on my blog, The Oolong Owl http://oolongowl.wordpress.com/2013/06/24/mandala-silver-buds-raw-puer-2012-from-mandala-tea-tea-review/ featuring thirsty tea turtles and pu’er pick happy Owl.

190 °F / 87 °C
Dexter3657

Awesome to hear, I love the silver buds 2011 – but couldn’t justify the price for a cake. In compromise I bought this one. Nice to hear that it’s gentle too!!!
Mandala tea often get me in trouble too, I haven’t bought a yixing pot yet, but I keep looking at them. Congrats of picking one up.

Awkward Soul

It’ll be my second yixing. I can’t decide what to season my current one with, so with two I’ll have more options, lol!

Bonnie

Always season with the best tea you can in the type the pot will be used for. I’m assuming this will be for white puerhs? (Usually a yixing isn’t used for white tea otherwise) Or will this be for another type? Anyway…sounds wonderful! Got back to some pu this morning myself finally.

Dexter3657

Are you thinking about oolong in one and pu’erh in the other, or both oolong – one green one roasted? Or I guess both pu’erh one sheng one shu? Hmmmmmm just writing this I may need 4? LOL

Awkward Soul

I’m thinking dark oolong in my first yixing, and sheng pu’er in my new one. Or vice versa? Either way, my new one is that snazzy green clay, so it’s for oolong or sheng pu’er. I figure I need maybe 3 more – shu pu’er, green oolong and black. Uggg, pricey little tea pots!

Terri HarpLady

I’ve been drooling over the blue lotus tea set on the mandala page for months. I finally am getting it, along with several tea samples, including the 08 version of this silver buds sheng, thanks to your lovely review :)