100 gram Mandala Silver Buds Raw Pu'er - 2012

Pu-erh Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Dexter

• “This tea got me into trouble. As I was sipping away, writing my review, I started looking at tea ware. Once the 3 hour tea session was done, I dented my paypal account with a yixing pot. Be...” Read full tasting note
    awkwardsoul 1032 tasting notes
  • “*MzPriss' Unflavored Tea Box - Tea #24* I appreciate trying this one, but I'm not sure my tastebuds can comprehend these delicate raw pu-erhs yet. The ripened are so robust yet the raw are some of...” Read full tasting note
    Tea Sipper 1326 tasting notes
  • “I'm having a lovely evening at home, relaxing with my dogs, reading some Joseph Campbell. You simply haven't lived if you've never read "The Power of Myth". It's a life-changer,...” Read full tasting note
    Sarsonator 183 tasting notes
  • “Had this tea yesterday from the sample I bought from Mandala. I brewed at near boiling and had a few infusions for the day (4 or 5). I didn't detect any smokiness but it did have the rich pu-er...” Read full tasting note
    Ubacat 200 tasting notes

From Mandala Tea

Yet another top-shelf tea procured by us during our April 2012 tea buying trip in China. This is our 3rd production of a silver needle tea. The 2008 and the 2011 editions of this are aging so well and this one will follow in their footsteps for sure as a little brother. We chose this material and had only 20 kgs pressed at a small pu’er workshop in SW China. This is our first 100 gram raw pressing.

This tea is very tasty and both new and old raw pu’er drinkers will find their senses satisfied in a way that only Yong de area grown teas can accomplish. While many will brew this with boiling water, others will be happier with this in its smoother form at temps between 175 and 190. Try it both ways! Experiment.

This tea is entirely hand-processed from the picking of the sun-dried buds to the pressing with old stone molds.

A must-try tea of 2012, year of the dragon!

About Mandala Tea View company

This tea got me into trouble.

As I was sipping away, writing my review, I started looking at tea ware. Once the 3 hour tea session was done, I dented my paypal account with a yixing pot. Be warned! Actually, it’s probably all my fault, I get into trouble all the time!

This cake – gentle and beautiful! Apple, floral, apricot, earthy, and mineral notes with a fantastic smoothness in later infusions. I can see this tea being loved greatly by a white tea lover – it’s almost similar in intensity, but with a earthy flavor and better resteep ability.

I was very impressed how little smoke and astringency was present despite it being a 2012 – the least smoke and astringency I’ve had in a 2012 raw cake so far! Very nice!

Full review on my blog, The Oolong Owl http://oolongowl.wordpress.com/2013/06/24/mandala-silver-buds-raw-puer-2012-from-mandala-tea-tea-review/ featuring thirsty tea turtles and pu’er pick happy Owl.

190 °F / 87 °C
Dexter

Awesome to hear, I love the silver buds 2011 – but couldn’t justify the price for a cake. In compromise I bought this one. Nice to hear that it’s gentle too!!!
Mandala tea often get me in trouble too, I haven’t bought a yixing pot yet, but I keep looking at them. Congrats of picking one up.

Awkward Soul

It’ll be my second yixing. I can’t decide what to season my current one with, so with two I’ll have more options, lol!

Bonnie

Always season with the best tea you can in the type the pot will be used for. I’m assuming this will be for white puerhs? (Usually a yixing isn’t used for white tea otherwise) Or will this be for another type? Anyway…sounds wonderful! Got back to some pu this morning myself finally.

Dexter

Are you thinking about oolong in one and pu’erh in the other, or both oolong – one green one roasted? Or I guess both pu’erh one sheng one shu? Hmmmmmm just writing this I may need 4? LOL

Awkward Soul

I’m thinking dark oolong in my first yixing, and sheng pu’er in my new one. Or vice versa? Either way, my new one is that snazzy green clay, so it’s for oolong or sheng pu’er. I figure I need maybe 3 more – shu pu’er, green oolong and black. Uggg, pricey little tea pots!

Terri HarpLady

I’ve been drooling over the blue lotus tea set on the mandala page for months. I finally am getting it, along with several tea samples, including the 08 version of this silver buds sheng, thanks to your lovely review :)

MzPriss’ Unflavored Tea Box – Tea #24
I appreciate trying this one, but I’m not sure my tastebuds can comprehend these delicate raw pu-erhs yet. The ripened are so robust yet the raw are some of the lighter teas. I have no idea if I steeped this one right… I really wish Mandala would have instructions for their teas. They would know better than I. I also don’t think I used enough leaf, as I was trying to save a little bit for the tea box. So I used about 3/4 of a teaspoon and filled the mug 3/4. This one just seems like a fuzzy white tea to me: light without much flavor.. hints of apricot maybe. The second steep was a little stronger, but my tastebuds still couldn’t figure it out. I’m leaving the other raw pu-erhs in the box for the rest of you to figure out!
Steep #1 // 20 min after boiling // 40 seconds
Steep #2 // 10 min after boiling // 1 min steep

kimquat

Oh, phooey. I forgot that Mandala doesn’t have brew instructions online. ): Sorry about that. They recommend 1TB for 8oz of water. Brew temps vary, but I stick to low rather than high. I think you’re supposed to start with around 30sec and increase in increments of 15-20sec. I would have to check…again, sorry.

I’m having a lovely evening at home, relaxing with my dogs, reading some Joseph Campbell. You simply haven’t lived if you’ve never read “The Power of Myth”. It’s a life-changer, swearsies!

Method: 3.3 g, 3 oz, rinse, 10-15-20 seconds, 200 degrees, ru kiln gaiwan

Aroma: fruit and new leather. Hey, dried apricots! This also smells like dried plums! And spring forests!

Flavor: This is so mild and pretty. I think this one has a slightly more astringent finish than some of the other shengs I’ve tried. It’s kind of refreshing. It definitely has some fruity flavors, but is a little less sweet.

The only things missing from my wonderful evening are my boyfriend, who is at work, and a huge, puffy reading chair which I do not own. Yet.

I think I am going to work out some kind of goal to read at least one chapter of a chosen Joseph Campbell book per week, and to do so while drinking a pretty sheng. JC and sheng are pretty much a perfect match. I really have to work on that puffy reading chair, too…

200 °F / 93 °C 0 min, 15 sec 3 g 3 OZ / 88 ML
Cwyn

I remember the original TV show for The Power of Myth back in the 80s, read the book back then. I recall his favorite was the Rose window in Notre Dame.

Sarsonator

I have those on DVD and I love to watch them. The first thing I ever read from JC was TPoM, so it has a special place in my heart. I always say that I am going to someday read all his books. I should really get moving on that!

MzPriss

He had very much wisdom and I’m grateful he shared so much of it

Sarsonator

Couldn’t agree more. Is it possible to miss someone you never knew? It must be because I do!

MzPriss

Yeah he’s one of those people who leave the world much poorer when they ;eave it. I will feel the same way when Willie Nelson checks out.

mj

Have you read “The Hero with a Thousand Faces”?

Sarsonator

Ha! MzP, Brian and I were just talking about him on Sunday!

Not yet, mj. I’ll tackle that one next!

mj

I think you’ll like it :). I did!!

Had this tea yesterday from the sample I bought from Mandala. I brewed at near boiling and had a few infusions for the day (4 or 5). I didn’t detect any smokiness but it did have the rich pu-er flavour combined with the lightness of the white. A really enjoyable cup of tea and I got that calm energy rush too. Definitely a good sheng to have in the cupboard.