Phatty Cake II: The Sequel

Pu-erh Tea
Fig, Hay, Honey, Mushrooms, Plums, Vanilla, Earth, Mineral, Spices
Edit tea info Last updated by graceatblb
Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 3 g 2 oz / 59 ml

• “I've been a bit absent from Steepster lately. I have a good excuse. I sprained my wrist and typing is a big ol' pain. To make it even worse, I steam burned the same hand so now I have second degree...” Read full tasting note
    graceatblb 92 tasting notes
  • “sipdown8 I had this in the afternoon since i REALLY need to drink up some of my smaller puerh samples instead of accumulating them all. I still think that while i could live with having most of...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4889 tasting notes
  • “I drank this all evening, on & off. I was busy, so I don't really have any notes to share, but I wanted to drink it, since I drank the original Phatty Cake yesterday. I can't really give a...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 2918 tasting notes
  • “My second puerh from the sampler. This one I found to be similar to Noble Mark in that I tasted a cedar wood note, but not as prominent, and some unsweetened cocoa notes. Overall, it was pleasant,...” Read full tasting note
    Tealizzy 522 tasting notes

From Mandala Tea

The follow up to our very popular Phatty Cake. We used the same material, but added grade 3 leave to the mix which gives a more interesting gongfu experience.

Save money by ordering a tong. Traditional “case” size for pu’er tea is seven cakes (beeng). The hand-tied bamboo sheath wrapper is a beautiful addition to your tea collection. A full tong purchase saves you $35. You’ll be drinking cup after cup of delicious, classy ripe pu’er for under $3 per ounce and gifting cakes to your friends who still think pu’er is that weird, fishy stuff from the Asian market. Score!

About Mandala Tea View company

I’ve been a bit absent from Steepster lately. I have a good excuse. I sprained my wrist and typing is a big ol’ pain. To make it even worse, I steam burned the same hand so now I have second degree burns and a sprained wrist. I’m not whining, I swear. The only thing that has kept me from being a big baby is tea. So, I guess, there’s that. My form of pain management is drinking copious amounts of tea.

Steep 1- 15 seconds
Kind of mellow. Sweet. A little bit smoky yet creamy. Very interesting in a completely non-aggressive kind of way.

Steep 2-30 seconds
It’s asserting itself a bit more. Still smoky and sweet but where the original Phatty Cake asserted itself in a smoky way, the Sequel is all about the creamyness.

Steep 3-45 seconds
It’s getting a bit nutty…literally. It’s reminiscent of Amaretto. Call me a bit insane but I may even prefer this to the original Phatty Cake.

Steep 4-1 minute
It’s a tiny bit woodsy but it’s kind of reminiscent of vanilla extract without the alcohol kick. It’s vanilla in that sort of woodsy way and not totally pastry-like or sweet.

Steep 5-1.30 seconds
Vanilla bean with a touch of figgy fruitiness. Winner! It’s light but it’s very flavorful.

I’ve been craving some iced tea lately so I decided to stop brewing this hot and try an overnight iced tea steep. Oh my dear tea gods. It was amazing. This is going to sound crazy but it’s like I took a Napoleon, mashed it up in a blender and drank it. It’s vanilla and custard and even a bit pastry-like. I wish I had made more than a glass worth of it.

I am not going to go so far as to say that I love this more than the original Phatty Cake but I love it for different reasons. Since hockey season is getting close, I am going to use a hockey comparison. The original Phatty Cake is the flashy forward. The guy who scores all the goals, gets all the credit and is all “Look at me!!! I’m so talented” but the Phatty Cake Sequel is the hard working third liner. The guy who does everything well but stays out of the way. He’s also the guy that scores the goals when the flashy forward is in one of his cold streaks—-or decides to retire to Russia…I’m bitter. I think on most occasions I’d prefer the more mellow Phatty Cake Sequel to be honest but I think the Sequel with gain some strength with age. Hopefully not too much because I like the gentler aspect of it.

Awesome! Thanks for this grace….love the review :)

Ysaurella

Welcome back !

Garret

My dear, I am so glad that you are enjoying this. Given that the steaming/pressing took place so recently, look for some big changes in complexity over the next few months. This was pressed on 4/25/2013… I’ve detected big changes already. I am SO HAPPY you like it already. Thanks for writing this review and providing me with whole new ways of looking at pu’er :)

looseTman

Grace,
“Thanks for writing this review and providing me with whole new ways of looking at pu’er :)”
Given Garret’s experience with Pu’er, I imagine he hasn’t given such a compliment to too many people! Way to go!

sipdown8

I had this in the afternoon since i REALLY need to drink up some of my smaller puerh samples instead of accumulating them all. I still think that while i could live with having most of Mandala’s puerhs in my cupboard, there are a few that i MUST have…and this isnt’ one of them. it’s delicious, but not something that i’ll be wishing for often, now that it’s gone.

The first few steeps were a middle of the road brew that was smooth and delicious, while also not being out of this world. Later steeps brought out hints of woodsy vanilla. I’ll have to see if i can cold brew the rest of this over night just to see how it fares after a number of steeps hot brewed :)

I drank this all evening, on & off.
I was busy, so I don’t really have any notes to share, but I wanted to drink it, since I drank the original Phatty Cake yesterday. I can’t really give a comparison of the two…but I love them both. I think the original is sweeter, but they are both tasty.
What I can say is this was a wonderful bold & rich contrast to the last couple of steepings of the Huang Zhi Xiang Dancong I was drinking all afternoon. The Dancong had me so dopey & mellow, & the Phatty Cake woke me back up a little. I drank several steepings before dinner, & several more after.
Yesterday I put the leftover leaves in a jar of water in the frig. I added tonight’s leaves to the same jar, as I didn’t really feel like the water had absorbed much flavor. I’ll drink their fusion tomorrow.

My second puerh from the sampler. This one I found to be similar to Noble Mark in that I tasted a cedar wood note, but not as prominent, and some unsweetened cocoa notes. Overall, it was pleasant, and I liked the first steep best, even though I think this could be resteeped forever!

Short note.

I love shou. and I think shou loves me.

It gave me a bunch of hugs and kisses this afternoon, yes it did!

I spent good quality time with it, all rolled up in a blanket. It’s been a rainy day here again. This shou was the perfect companion.

This is leathery, I love leather taste in shou.

It’s a little musty, spicy and woodsy.

It’s rich, thick and syrupy…smooth and mineral.

It’s a reliable dude, and I’m glad I purchased a cake.

Here’s some Phatty shou in a blanket for you:

Sarsonator

Every time I think you can’t get any damn cuter, you manage to get cuter. I don’t know how you do it!!!!

Terri HarpLady

Now I want some shu, but I didn’t bring any to Tony’s, so I’m going with some oolong instead.

TheTeaFairy

Oolong are excellent huggers Terri ;-)

scribbles

TTF…took me long enough, but I get it now. Merci Beaucoup.
…for being you, and being unassuming. Ttrs bien :)

AllanK

I have that cake. Have not tried it yet maybe tomorrow.

pyarkaaloo

looks wonderfully roasty! yummy dark coffee color. and your tasting note is adorable! ;)

what about a shou haiku or onomatopoeia??

MzPriss

I love shou (and I love THIS shou) and I love you too

TheTeaFairy

Scribbles….dunno what to say…thank you :-)

Allan, break that cake open!!

Pyarkaaloo: a shou haiku would be adorable!

Missy, you know I love you too!!

Sarsonator

I am going to try this one, now that I no longer fear the shou!

Lariel

That was my very first Mandala tea.

this is really resteeps from the other day. I put the leaves in the freezer until I could get back to it. I was feeling very slow moving this afternoon and then remember it so I poured a little hot water over it to wake the leave up and went on its much more mineral and mushroom flavors now and that quite nice for this sticky warm afternoon! Its not inspiring me to work much though so maybe I need new infusion of something fresh?

My first tea from my first Mandala order. (I like their name, it makes me think of art.) Anyway, this smells like what I associate with pu-erh- dark and earthy.

The flavour has a bit of spice and minerality. It’s a very rich and smooth too. My brewing method is what I would call ‘Western electric kettle- single serving mug’.

Flavors: Earth, Mineral, Spices

Garret

Tea-riffic! What a pleasure to have gotten some teas out to you, my friend! The PCII is interesting tea. I just did a session with it the other day. The leather notes are very strong in this one.

I had made some of this for a fellow tea importer/seller. He took a smell, took a sip, took another smell and said “ancient wisdom!” It had reminded him of his favorite part of his college library where they keep all of the old leatherbound books.

Lariel

‘Ancient Wisdom’- I like that. I forgot to mention the leather notes.

Hoo boy, this tea was strong! I steeped it over 10 times last night in a gaiwan, it was a great learning experience for me. This was my first shu pu’erh tea, so I was going in a little blind. When I took my first sip my first reaction was SUPER EARTHY. At first, the intensity of the earthy flavor was very overpowering and intense. Don’t get me wrong, it was highly enjoyable, I had simply never experienced this type of tea before. As the steepings moved forward, it mellowed out a bit and some new flavor began to peak out from behind the earthiness. The most evident flavor note to me tasted similar to a REALLY dark chocolate. It was a subtle bitterness similar to dark chocolate, yet the tea remained creamy and tasty. Overall, I truly enjoyed my first shu pu-erh experience, and I can’t wait to break some more of this tea out soon!

Boiling
Clint

Originally stated that it was a sheng, but I had the terminology mixed up (I’m still a noobie to tea) Sorry folks!

Garret

Hi Clint!! Thanks for writing up your experience with the PCII! Just wanted to clarify that this cake is a shu (a.k.a. ripe, black, cooked) pu’er not a sheng.

I’ve been brewing this one up quite a lot lately as the tea has really opened up since being steamed and pressed a year ago. I typically do do 5 second rinses with boiling water. Then my first two steeps of 15 to 20 seconds combine in a sharing pitcher and I enjoy those. The time will depend on what I’m going for as far as strength and how much leaf I have loaded the pot/gaiwan with. Then I just cruise from there, slowly adjusting the steep times upward.

I’m glad you get the chocolate in this one too as I get that, for sure. Also leather makes itself quite known in this one. Did you find that?

Grateful,

Garret

Funny! Our replies happened at the same time!!

Clint

Sorry for that mistake Garret! I am still pretty new to tea (compared to most), so I got my terms all mixed up, haha. Anywho, now that you put a description to the flavor, I did taste that. I had a hard time identifying the flavors (a skill I am working on), so I’m glad you pointed that out. I will also try out your steeping method for the next time! My steepings were typically around 30 seconds, but I did forget to rinse it. It was a great learning experience for me though. This was my first time sitting down and doing that many steepings in one sitting, and I truly enjoyed it!

Also, I can’t wait to try out all of the samples that you provided. Especially in my new tea thermos! Wooo!

Thanks you for providing me with many valuable tea experiences, it is truly appreciated!

Free sample with my order – thank you so much Garret and Jamie.
Sample is 8g , very generous.
I love it. Dark, sweet, thick and creamy. Very flavorful. I enjoyed it a lot and want to include it with my coming up order to take advantage of this crazy fabulous 50% sale.

TheTeaFairy

Yep,crazy and fabulous is right :-)

Bow down to the delicious Phatty Cake II

WIth gongfu steeping, I found Phatty Cake II started sharp, strong and rich – almost abrasive. Each steeping, this tea mellows on you, like it got to know you and is now friendly. Chocolately, woodsy, vanilla, very smooth, mineral notes, and spice.

Full review on my blog, The Oolong Owl http://oolongowl.com/phatty-cake-ii-ripe-puer-mandala-tea-oolong-owl-tea-review/

Boiling
Garret

This is really wonderful to read here and on your blog, my friend! I had a session with this on Sunday and was super pleased about it. Whenever I first make a ripe pressing, it takes a few months for things to really start shaking out. There is some curing that needs to happen before they can begin coming of age and this one was no exception. When I first tasted the pressing (about 3 weeks after pressing), I was not so excited. But just as with every other pressing I’ve done, I remind myself that it will change significantly over the first 3 or 4 months.

Reading your take on it, coupled with my Sunday exploration of it, makes me realize that this is a great cake. Not that I don’t trust myself to know whether it is good or not, it’s just nice to have a trusted friend mirror back to me what I was thinking.

So thank you for that!

Rockin’ in the tea world,

Tea Sipper

I love that the picture looks like a stack of PANcakes. haha.