Phatty Cake II: The Sequel

Pu-erh Tea
Dark Chocolate, Earth, Leather, Sweet, Caramel, Molasses, Oak wood, Vanilla, Mineral, Smoke, Wood, Fig, Hay, Honey, Mushrooms, Plums, Spices
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason
Boiling 1 min, 30 sec 5 g 5 oz / 150 ml

Available from 1 seller.

From Mandala Tea

The follow up to our very popular Phatty Cake. We used the same material, but added grade 3 leave to the mix which gives a more interesting gongfu experience.

Save money by ordering a tong. Traditional “case” size for pu’er tea is seven cakes (beeng). The hand-tied bamboo sheath wrapper is a beautiful addition to your tea collection. A full tong purchase saves you $35. You’ll be drinking cup after cup of delicious, classy ripe pu’er for under $3 per ounce and gifting cakes to your friends who still think pu’er is that weird, fishy stuff from the Asian market. Score!

About Mandala Tea View company

I’ve been a bit absent from Steepster lately. I have a good excuse. I sprained my wrist and typing is a big ol’ pain. To make it even worse, I steam burned the same hand so now I have second degree burns and a sprained wrist. I’m not whining, I swear. The only thing that has kept me from being a big baby is tea. So, I guess, there’s that. My form of pain management is drinking copious amounts of tea.

Steep 1- 15 seconds
Kind of mellow. Sweet. A little bit smoky yet creamy. Very interesting in a completely non-aggressive kind of way.

Steep 2-30 seconds
It’s asserting itself a bit more. Still smoky and sweet but where the original Phatty Cake asserted itself in a smoky way, the Sequel is all about the creamyness.

Steep 3-45 seconds
It’s getting a bit nutty…literally. It’s reminiscent of Amaretto. Call me a bit insane but I may even prefer this to the original Phatty Cake.

Steep 4-1 minute
It’s a tiny bit woodsy but it’s kind of reminiscent of vanilla extract without the alcohol kick. It’s vanilla in that sort of woodsy way and not totally pastry-like or sweet.

Steep 5-1.30 seconds
Vanilla bean with a touch of figgy fruitiness. Winner! It’s light but it’s very flavorful.

I’ve been craving some iced tea lately so I decided to stop brewing this hot and try an overnight iced tea steep. Oh my dear tea gods. It was amazing. This is going to sound crazy but it’s like I took a Napoleon, mashed it up in a blender and drank it. It’s vanilla and custard and even a bit pastry-like. I wish I had made more than a glass worth of it.

I am not going to go so far as to say that I love this more than the original Phatty Cake but I love it for different reasons. Since hockey season is getting close, I am going to use a hockey comparison. The original Phatty Cake is the flashy forward. The guy who scores all the goals, gets all the credit and is all “Look at me!!! I’m so talented” but the Phatty Cake Sequel is the hard working third liner. The guy who does everything well but stays out of the way. He’s also the guy that scores the goals when the flashy forward is in one of his cold streaks—-or decides to retire to Russia…I’m bitter. I think on most occasions I’d prefer the more mellow Phatty Cake Sequel to be honest but I think the Sequel with gain some strength with age. Hopefully not too much because I like the gentler aspect of it.

Awesome! Thanks for this grace….love the review :)

Ysaurella

Welcome back !

Garret

My dear, I am so glad that you are enjoying this. Given that the steaming/pressing took place so recently, look for some big changes in complexity over the next few months. This was pressed on 4/25/2013… I’ve detected big changes already. I am SO HAPPY you like it already. Thanks for writing this review and providing me with whole new ways of looking at pu’er :)

Grace,
“Thanks for writing this review and providing me with whole new ways of looking at pu’er :)”
Given Garret’s experience with Pu’er, I imagine he hasn’t given such a compliment to too many people! Way to go!

sipdown8

I had this in the afternoon since i REALLY need to drink up some of my smaller puerh samples instead of accumulating them all. I still think that while i could live with having most of Mandala’s puerhs in my cupboard, there are a few that i MUST have…and this isnt’ one of them. it’s delicious, but not something that i’ll be wishing for often, now that it’s gone.

The first few steeps were a middle of the road brew that was smooth and delicious, while also not being out of this world. Later steeps brought out hints of woodsy vanilla. I’ll have to see if i can cold brew the rest of this over night just to see how it fares after a number of steeps hot brewed :)

I drank this all evening, on & off.
I was busy, so I don’t really have any notes to share, but I wanted to drink it, since I drank the original Phatty Cake yesterday. I can’t really give a comparison of the two…but I love them both. I think the original is sweeter, but they are both tasty.
What I can say is this was a wonderful bold & rich contrast to the last couple of steepings of the Huang Zhi Xiang Dancong I was drinking all afternoon. The Dancong had me so dopey & mellow, & the Phatty Cake woke me back up a little. I drank several steepings before dinner, & several more after.
Yesterday I put the leftover leaves in a jar of water in the frig. I added tonight’s leaves to the same jar, as I didn’t really feel like the water had absorbed much flavor. I’ll drink their fusion tomorrow.

Beautifully smooth and creamy. Just made butter tea with it, and now I’m jittery though. This has never happened before. RAAAAWRJkleeeeeee

This is a very tasty shou puerh with a great deal of fermentation flavor left. There were strong chocolate notes in this tea as well as a very earthy flavor. I also picked up on the leather notes in it although I did not notice much of the list. Perhaps I was not paying close enough attention. I think this a tea with a lot of potential. That is why I will put this away and age it for a while before drinking again.

When I brewed this the first steep was over brewed because my brand new teapot was clogged from being seasoned. Also, it pours a little slowly. I adjusted the steeps downward and got better results. The first steep was very, very earthy. By the third steep the flavor improved. By the fifth steep it was markedly better. It should be noted that it never completely lost its fermentation flavor. I guess I have become accustomed to older, better aged shou puerh.

I steeped this 6 times in a 207ml teapot with 7g of leaf and boiling water. i steeped it for 10 sec, 5 sec, 10 sec, 15 sec, 30 sec, and 1 min. I had to adjust the time after the first steep because the tea was over brewed.

Flavors: Dark Chocolate, Earth, Leather

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 7 OZ / 207 ML
AllanK

Used a brand new Taiwan Clay Teapot for this brew.

This was from the $5 Ripe Puer Sampler. MAN this was some good shou! Such a strong, rich flavor. Reminded me of dark chocolate, just not bitter. It brews up pretty dark in color as well. The taste was much sweeter than other ripe puerhs I’ve had. It also had a really interesting savory smell that’s kind of hard to describe. Another review mentioned leather. Maybe that’s it.

I used boiling water in my 4 oz yixing pot and did 3 steepings (rinse, rinse, 5s, 10s, 15s). I soooo wanted to have more, but I didn’t want to go into caffeine overload (which is very easy for me). I’ll be saving this for tomorrow to enjoy again!

Flavors: Dark Chocolate, Earth, Sweet

Boiling 7 g 4 OZ / 130 ML
Garret

I am so very happy that you enjoy this tea, my friend! This is one that I sit down to on a regular basis. There is mos def a leather presence here. I get that from this tea all the time. Thanks for writing up your thoughts on this! Grateful, Garret

boychik

I’m glad you like it. One of my fav

madametj

Yeah, well now I’m sad because I got a really bad tummy ache (lasting about 6 hours) after the tea. Seeing as this happens about 70% of the time I drink puerh I’m starting to think it just doesn’t agree with me in general. Really sad because it’s one of my favorite types of tea to drink :(

This was my very first Pur-eh and I was in love at first sip. Complex notes ranging from earthy to a hint of vanilla, maybe a slight molasses flavor. the depth of flavors and complexity was amazing. I got 4-5 steeps from my sample packet before there wasn’t much flavor left. This I am planning to buy soon. :-) I did a 15 second rinse, let the tea rest for about 5-10 min, then did 15, 30, 45 second infusions. the last steep was quite long since it was loosing flavor, but still tasty.

Flavors: Caramel, Earth, Leather, Molasses, Oak wood, Vanilla

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 8 OZ / 236 ML

This is the last tea from my ripe puerh sampler from Mandala. Visually, looks similar to the other cake samples. It’s one big chunk and the leaves are dark brown. Dry scent is somewhat sweet and woody with a bit of pond or fishy smell. I did a 15s rinse and then 30/45s steeps. I then went back to 30s, hoping it would change the flavor a bit. I think this one is just not for me. :P

Brewed aroma was quite earthy and leathery with the slightest bit of vanilla sweetness and that characteristic woodiness that I’ve found in the other puerhs as well. Taste-wise, I found this tea to be somewhat less complex (and less enjoyable) than the others in the sampler. It mostly tasted earthy and woody with mineral and smoke notes to me. There was also a heavy leather flavor to it. The vanilla and sweetness poked their heads out a time or two, but not enough to make me want to drink any more. I guess this one is just too robust for me! I’m a sweet gal! ;)

Flavors: Earth, Leather, Mineral, Smoke, Sweet, Vanilla, Wood

Boiling 3 g 4 OZ / 118 ML
boychik

try shorter steeps;)

Garret

Plenty of leather in this one, for sure. When I made the first pressing of this, David Duckler (Verdant Tea) and I were sitting at one of our “tea summits” and he wanted to name it Ancient Wisdom because it reminded him so much of the place in his college library where the oldest (and leatherbound) books are stacked.

I had another old German guy tear up in the store as he sipped this. He told me that the tea reminded him of his late mother’s very old leather bound bible. He bought a bunch that day.

boychik has a good point with the steeping times. There are definitely many who do shorter steeps on this. This one will definitely kick one in the teeth in stronger steeps. Of course, some people like that kick :)

MzPriss

You ARE a sweet gal!

My second puerh from the sampler. This one I found to be similar to Noble Mark in that I tasted a cedar wood note, but not as prominent, and some unsweetened cocoa notes. Overall, it was pleasant, and I liked the first steep best, even though I think this could be resteeped forever!

I can’t really sleep tonight so might as well drink good tea, right?

I had this tea twice today. Such a lovely shou.

I like how sweet and smooth it is. I find myself craving it.

It’s not overly complicated and complex, but sometimes, that’s just what I’m seeking.

I have mentioned that this tea was like a hug on my last review and I stand by it. Definitely a hugger!

At this rate, the little cake won’t last very long.

Sorry Mandala for not being more eloquent tonight…

Pic from earlier:

Sarsonator

Yummmy! Maybe I will use this for the Goldie test later!!!!

TheTeaFairy

Oh! Great idea!!

Goldie test?

AllanK

I think I will break in my new teapot with this next week when it comes. Bought an incredible pot from purepuer.com.

Sarsonator

looseTman – We are experimenting with my gold-lined cup to see if tea tastes different than with a regular teacup. So far, it does

looseTman

A gold-lined cup, wow! Pic?

Terri HarpLady

Different in a good way?