Rou Gui "Cinnamon" Medium Roast Oolong

Oolong Tea
Cinnamon
Edit tea info Last updated by Debbie

• “This one intrigued me so i asked Garret to send a sample my way in my last order. I try not to buy oolongs until i've sampled them because i'm so picky about the ones i like or don't. While this...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4026 tasting notes
  • “A bit of an unusual format for me, I wrote tasting notes right after my gaiwan session, here they are: Cinnamon not detectable in dry leaf. Very sweet wuyi! Not vegetal at all, sweet sweet...” Read full tasting note
    Sixiecr 22 tasting notes
  • “I did a quick 5-10 second rinse as suggested on the Mandala website brewing instructions page,,, then steeped for 30 seconds. The liquor looks very cinnamon color and I do detect scents of...” Read full tasting note
    Lee 149 tasting notes
  • “I brewed this both gong fu and western style. Very nice both ways. For me, I get more of a cinnamon smell then any real taste, but I do get a very "spicy" taste that is quite pleasant. I think I...” Read full tasting note
    Kpfeifle 13 tasting notes

From Mandala Tea

First flush spring leaves are picked and roasted for this classic “rock” or “cliff” style tea which comes from the Wu Yi Mountains in Fujian Province, China. This stunning area has been listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site because of the abundance of different species and cultural importance of its tea growing tradition.

Rou Gui translates literally to cinnamon or cassia. The dry leaves give a distant impression of the spice and once they are rinsed it becomes more apparent. Short gong fu-style steepings produce a clear and peach-hued liquor. This oolong earns its nick name with magnificent almond milk, toast, and cinnamon flavors that persist in the mouth after each sip. We find ourselves picking up the gaiwan again and again to behold this mesmerizing tea.

About Mandala Tea View company

This one intrigued me so i asked Garret to send a sample my way in my last order. I try not to buy oolongs until i’ve sampled them because i’m so picky about the ones i like or don’t. While this one is certainly interesting – it’s still not quite up my alley. It’s a roasted oolong and has cinnamon and sweet notes to it but i can’t quite get behind it. That being said though, it’s a taste preference thing rather than this being a bad tea. :) I’d recommend others give this a shot :)

(also this is really tasty as the “water” to instant oatmeal lol)

Terri HarpLady

This ones as intrigued me as well. I need to sample with my Next mandala order :)

my other half is in your box LOL

Terri HarpLady

See, that’s why we’re awesome!

caile

oohh.. breakfast and tea all in one! I will have to pick up some instant oatmeal. ;-)

Cinnamon not detectable in dry leaf.

Very sweet wuyi! Not vegetal at all, sweet sweet sweet. Would be great stand alone wuyi.

Cinnamon not present until later steeping 3-4.

First detectable in the aroma, then realized late in the palate.

Not bold in your face cinnamon, this comes later, much more subtly towards the end of the palate and the back of the throat…. like a cinnamon essence.

Remarkable subtlety! Teaches patience, awareness and subtlety – things which I need to improve on or am lacking generally… ahh this is like tea therapy.

Subtle floral like cinnamon, or rather oolong-like cinnamon.

Warm sensation persists in back of throat, cinnamon related or just temperature?

Retains flavor up to around 6 quick gaiwan infusions, then starts to dissipate.

The liquor looks very cinnamon color and I do detect scents of cinnamon,,,whether or not this is power of suggestion, I don’t know but it’s nice.
I like the flavor of this Oolong because it is balanced with a tiny bit of roast, a sweet note, and that something special when you breathe it out as you taste. That special element here is definitely a cinnamon note.
Very unique taste that I haven’t tried in an Oolong!! Very good!!

Thank u to Terri Harplady for this sample!!

Flavors: Cinnamon

Terri HarpLady

Yay! That is a nice one :)

I brewed this both gong fu and western style. Very nice both ways. For me, I get more of a cinnamon smell then any real taste, but I do get a very “spicy” taste that is quite pleasant. I think I enjoyed it more gong fu, I was able to get 6 good infusions, but it works western as well for when I have less time. I have been very impressed by the Mendala teas I have tried…and this one is no exception!

I really thought I’d already written a review of this one, but I guess not!
This cup is a sample sent to me by Sil, but I can’t claim a sipdown because I actually have quite a bit of this tea in my collection.

It’s lightly roasty, woody, a little sweet, & spicy. I wish I had some macaroons.

Beautiful when not overbrewed. Tasted more like almond skins to me than almond milk.