Temple Stairs Loose Ripe Pu'er

Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason
Boiling 0 min, 30 sec 6 g 6 oz / 179 ml

Available from 1 seller.

• “So this time I had this, it actually was the Loose version. (The tuocha version didn't exist on here, and other reviews were for the tuocha, so I added my reviews here.) Yum Yum yum yum It's a...” Read full tasting note
    cheri0627 437 tasting notes
  • “Now that I can fully express my love of shous, I decided to brew this one up. Method: rinse 10-10-10-15-20 and dump. Steep 20-25-30 and drink. 5 g, 4 oz, 200 degrees I think I finally found...” Read full tasting note
    Sarsonator 242 tasting notes
  • “Im enjoying a few steeps of this. The leaf smelled a little fishy, but the actual tea is not. Its kind of a milk chocolate, but very clean tasting, if that makes sense to anyone. The chaqi is...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 3001 tasting notes
  • “I brewed 8g of this tea 8 times in a 175ml teapot. I started with 20 sec steeps and went as far as 2 min by steeping eight. I'd swear I detected notes of vanilla, brown sugar, and cacao in the...” Read full tasting note
    AllanK 209 tasting notes

From Mandala Tea

“Temple Stairs” – a 2013 blended ripe pu’er

Morning arrives soon and with it,
the monkey mind.
In this moment, I’ve this tea -
a training ground upon which I find my center.

We are pleased to present yet another Mandala Tea exclusive ripe pu’er. This creamy and smooth two leaf blend was created using material that was spring-picked and ripened in 2012 and 2013.

Not only were both pickings from plantations that are pesticide free, but the two growing areas (Bada and Mengsong) are far from any cities or air pollution. This is 100% pure tea and some of the finest ripe tea available. Teas from these areas are famous for their uplifting nature as well as their qi raising goodness.

As this tea warms your lower dan tien (in laymen terms – the “energy bank account”), you will note hints of cocoa in aroma and taste. Flavors of sweet root vegetables with hints of dark brown sugar dance on your tongue alongside the clean and well-rounded essence of minerals.

A rich and creamy treat in a cup, this tea will lift you up gently and then place you lovingly back on the ground, better for the experience.

We also note that the leaf was expertly cared for in the process of fermentation, yielding a perfectly ripened leaf with full integrity.

Climb the Temple Stairs and find your center.

About Mandala Tea View company

So this time I had this, it actually was the Loose version. (The tuocha version didn’t exist on here, and other reviews were for the tuocha, so I added my reviews here.)

Yum

Yum yum yum

It’s a nice energy, without too much of a buzz. A calm energy today.

So tasty.

I was sad when it faded.

Stephanie

It’s always a good sign when you are sad that the tea is over :)

Tealizzy

So, what’s better…the tuocha or the loose leaf?

Cheri

I liked them both. I didn’t really compare them, and this was the end of the loose I have. I did buy a cake as well. That’s how much I like this. Mini Tuocha is sooooo convenient.

Now that I can fully express my love of shous, I decided to brew this one up.

I think I finally found a shou method that works for me!!!! SO EXCITED! I am seasoning my TeaVivre pot in this tea, so I decided to drink some also. I’m feeling all relaxed and mellow. Had a nice lunch with friends downtown. I have a pot of shou simmering with my yixing on the stovetop. All my pups are happy and spry today. Life is good!!!!!

This tastes like honey and caramel. I may not even needed quite so many rinses, but I was making some for the seasoning, and it all worked out. So happy!!!!

5 g 4 OZ / 118 ML

Wait, your love of shou’s?! When did this happen?! :D

Like yesterday, Brenden. Keep up, will ya! :p

MzPriss

Paging Dr. Sheng…

Cheri

I’ve been told it’s okay to love both sheng and shou.

^This is the truth. ;-)

Whispering Pines Tea Company

But don’t tell sheng that! :D

mrmopar

A mix between the two is easy to do. A little sheng and toss in some shou will make for a happy you. What can I do as it is always true. A sheng a shou it’s all some puuuu….A small Haiku…..for you…

Lariel of Lórien

I like shou, but mostly by default.

Lol, this thread was very funnney! And yay for shou love and happiness sarsy <3

My name is Dr. Sheng. Please make a note of it, Fairycakes :p

Me? Love Sheng AND Shou? It just seems so… wrong! LOL

Really, mrmo? Do you mix them for real? I love your poem. :)

AllanK

You name is Dr Sheng? My gastroenterologist name is Dr Shou, but when asked he didn’t know anything about the health benefits of Shou puerh. True story.

Sarsonator

No way, Allan!!!! Shouldn’t a gastroenterologist know all about shou???? Especially one NAMED Dr. Shou?

AllanK

Apparently not. But that is really his name.

Cheri

So I’m trying Temple Stairs for the first time, and I think I agree with your method, Sarsonator. I dumped the first two, and started with the third, and dumped that about a third of the way through. The fourth was much better for me. Lesson learned.

Sarsonator

I think it just depends on the shou, Cheri. Some do great with one rinse and some seem to have more of a fermentation flavor (as AllanK calls it) to get past. Glad it worked out for you :)

Im enjoying a few steeps of this. The leaf smelled a little fishy, but the actual tea is not. Its kind of a milk chocolate, but very clean tasting, if that makes sense to anyone. The chaqi is having an effect of making me want to just lay down & take a nap.
I really want to…
I probably need it…
But a friend is com in over to help me dig up sweet potatoes. I’ll be working left handedly, with a plastic bag covering my right hand. And don’t worry, they are pretty close to the surface!

Tealizzy

I noticed a calming feeling with this one too…need to get some more. :)

I brewed 8g of this tea 8 times in a 175ml teapot. I started with 20 sec steeps and went as far as 2 min by steeping eight. I’d swear I detected notes of vanilla, brown sugar, and cacao in the times I steeped it. It is a nice and complex tea. This was from a sample Garret sent me from my last order. I will probably order it.

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 8 g 6 OZ / 175 ML

So I started a session with this one last night. And again the first thing I smelled on both the dry and wet leaf was pond water. I steeped this one up for the 30 seconds and holy darkness. For some reason I was expecting this one to be light. But it’s was almost black.

The liquor smelled just like the wet leaf, pond water, something I don’t remember Special Dark’s liquor smelling like. I’m thinking I definitely should have rinsed this. That first cup tasted similar to how it smelled, like pond water and mud. I ended up dumping half the cup. The next steep was a little better. Less pond and mud taste (I guess earthy in a wet way). Now I’m starting to get other notes, there’s a slight sweetness, and something not quite earthy but I’m not sure what it is.

The third steep, most of the pond scum smell and taste was completely gone and for the next three steeps the flavor continued to mellow and mingle and confuse but please my taste buds. My tongue is not refined enough to pick out flavors, but once I hit the third steeping I ha begun to relax into this puerh. It started to feel safe, like it was trying to show me a preview of could come if I continue down the rabbit hole that is puerh. Now I really think that a good rinse or maybe two would have eliminated those first two awkward cups and put me right into this sweet spot to begin with.

The 6th or 7th steep seemed a little bit weaker, and since by this point it was nearly 2am I decided to cold steep the last steep overnight. I strained and tried it first thing this morning, and detected a surprising note that I really wasn’t expecting and don’t know where it came from: grapes. This cold steeped and lightly sweetened taste like grapes and a tinge if cocoa, some of that almost earthiness, and I want to say browned sugar. The other notes were there in the hot cups but just seem more identifiable this time. But I don’t remember grapes last night, yet there they are this morning.

I still find it so amazing that a straight tea can have so many different notes, without adding any flavors.

Boiling 0 min, 30 sec 3 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
TheTeaFairy

Sorry you didn’t have such a good experience…so funny cause I get none of that “pond water”, but I used to hate pu’erh at the beginning…I think you are doing great in your tasting and evaluations so far ;-)

Garret

Hi! So excited to see you diving in with shu pu’er! The rinse is a must. Matter of fact, in China, they do two rinses of the leaf to start a sesh with ripe tea, 3 if it is tea nugget pu’er. That will help your brew significantly.

If you were here, I’d have you in to our tea room and we’d sit down and brew us up some great tea times!

Keep up the good work, you really are doing great. Never hesitate to ask any questions if I may be of help, ok? [email protected]

Mandy

TheTeaFairy I actually did have a good experience! The 3rd steep on was good, even if I had a hard time describing it. And the first two cups taught me that rinsing is a must, and that Special Dark is just the exception to the rule!

I used to have turtles that my sister and I caught (“rescued” according to us) from the (retention) pond in our old neighbor hood. And the smell of pu’erh remind me of the smell of those turtles. Like wet slippery mud. Thankful after the first cup it didn’t taste like it smelled.

And thank you, I’ve been trying, it’s so hard for me to put a finger on what I’m tasting or smelling sometimes, and when I do it’s usually something zany (like chamomile tastes like celery to me).

Garret That makes a lot of sense, especially since the first two cups were the only not so good ones. I actually just started a session with Imperial Dark, rinsing it twice first, and seems like it did a perfect job washing the pond water away.

I wish I was there! Thats something I’ve been wanting to do! I feel like having a session with a professional would teach me so much about how brew as well as to help me identify what I’m tasting.

TheTeaFairy

Oh, I said that only cause of the “pond scum” you mentioned…I’m glad your experience got better and better :-)

And yes, garret, I would pay to have a tea session with you!! Learn directly from the master :-)

When I saw Mandala added this loose leaf pu erh to it’s site, I knew I’d be buying some sooner or later. Thanks to a 50% off sale it was sooner! My first impression was that this tea is young, I feel like it has not reached it’s full flavor profile… like there were some flavors in this tea lurking beneath the surface that time has not allowed to fully develop. I can tell this tea has great potential! The liquor was dark, much darker than I expected and I was pleased. The flavor was two toned with spice and and a smooth earthy sweetness. As I got into the 3rd and 4th steepings it hit me… this tea has some AMAZING cha qi!!! In fact I’d say this tea has the cha qi of an aged sheng. I’m probably going to go the delayed gratification route and keep this one for storage to allow it to develop it’s full flavor profile, sampling a couple times a year. I’m a big fan!

Flavors: Earth, Spices, Sweet

Boiling 0 min, 30 sec 6 g 6 OZ / 185 ML

I’m trying to decide whether to bite the bullet and order from Mandala again this weekend. I REALLY don’t have a lot of money to burn these days and i have lots of puerh sitting in my cupboard that needs to be drunk up, but it’s SUCH a good sale. In an effort to convince myself NOT to buy more tea lol I figured i should try this one as Garrett passed it along as a sample in my most recent order.

I’ve been drinking a few steeps of this while i pray for the house to cool down. It’s going to be necessary to cool off under a hose or in the shower soon at this rate! Note, that my gaiwan is still packed up, so i’ve been steeping this psuedo gongfu style using short steeps but in my brew basket heh.

This is a young puerh. I feel like the tastes aren’t quiet fully formed, but there is the hint of what’s to come as this ages. This is, as i’ve come to expect from Mandala, a smooth brew. it’s not an earthy puerh – there are echoes of cedar? leather? Not sure…clearly i’ve been neglecting my puerh for too long and i’ve forgotten what sort of tastes are there lol On the whole though, I am looking forward to possibly ordering some of this and letting is sit for a while. I think it’ll be a really nice blend in the future.

TeaBrat

I feel that I already have enough puerh to last for the rest of my life… lol

Sarsonator

I couldn’t resist and ordered 4 oz. Some for now, some for later!

TheTeaFairy

I loved this one…so smooth.

Cavocorax

I grabbed 1 oz bc it was so cheap it was basically a sample!

Glad you did cavo. Was going to give you the other half of my sample but I owe Terri some NOT FLAVOURED tea lol

Cavocorax

Haha. So we all win?

boychik

I want to order too. The sale is fabulous. And I’m thinking if I should add some cakes as well. I liked Autumn Song a lot. Temple Staires is nice but too mellow for me. I need a punch in a face…

Stephanie

Argh someone stop me from ordering! Such a good deal….

boychik

Sorry Steph, I need help myself. I also have a coupon fr them on reg price until 7/15 so I need to decide right now what else to get in one order. I’m trying now 2010 nun jian golden buds sample fr Mandala. It is so good…

i’m hoping the sale will be over before i get 5 mins to look at it again heh

Never underestimate the power of kindness…I know it doesn’t show much here, but I’ve been struggling with lots of serious issues for over a year now. I had an appointment I wasn’t looking forward to this morning, but I still went cause well, I don’t have much of a choice.

I showed discouragement in front of the person I was seeing…He told me not to worry, and this:

«Moonlight drowns out all but the brightest stars».

Just a few words, but one of the nicest thing anyone has ever told me…it gave me hope and made me feel special.

Just sharing as a reminder of how important it is to show kindness whenever we can…it’s easy and makes someone’s day look brighter in no time :-)

When I got home, I opened Steepster and had this tea cause someone else was having it and I really love it.

It’s my “cream of mushroom” pu’erh. Yes, big notes of cream and mushrooms.

It provides such a sweet and silky mouthfeel.

Just as I wrote in previous review, it has very distinct taste of turnips. The person who made me think of having this tea said they found ginger. I admit I never would have found ginger on my own, but by being aware of it, I searched for it and found it at the fourth steep. It is a little spicy in that way. Could be the power of suggestion, but I thought it was amusing to experiment.

It’s so very smooth, it’s like velvet for the mouth.

Thank you Mandala for another excellent shou…

I have noticed that lots of pu’erh lovers have a preference between the two. As I’ve been diving into the world of pu’erh, I ask this question: Is it possible to be both a shou and a sheng girl?

Cause as far as I’m concern, I just love them equally!

Pic of the day, Temple Stairs session:

Cameron B.

I just ordered their new $5 sampler, but I don’t think this one is included. Although there is one called Year of the Dragon that sounds right up my alley and I’ve never seen anyone review in on Steepster. Interesting!

And you’re one of the kindest people around, so I hope you get kindness in return on a regular basis! <3

mj

Oh, TTF. Hugs! You shine so brightly, there’s no chance of you being drowned out by any moon!

boychik

Have I told you I love your pot? It matches to the shou. Perfect combo;)

I love y’all s eas :-)

And boychick, I just adore the pot, thank you!!!

Don’t be silly mj, TeaFairy is totally the moon! :P

TheTeaFairy

Lol, something wrong with that comment “s eas”? What the hell did I mean? All I wanted to say is thanks and I love y’all!

Awww, you guys…. <3

mj

I see where you’re coming from, but I have to disagree Cameron B. TeaFairy shines with her own light rather than just reflecting the light of another :-P
(Yes, I took it there. I couldn’t help myself. This is why people don’t like hanging out with scientists.)

boychik

Nah, moon is cold and lifeless, she is hot and explosive

Cameron B.

AWWW YEAH? WELLTHEN SHE’S THE SUN! SO THERE! ;)

TheTeaFairy

(Hiding in a corner, watching the battle)

TheTeaFairy

Cameron, forgot to mention, i love your new pic, and your as cute as a button.

boychik

Not fighting. Me fighting? North Star. You can always find your way out with it when you lost.
Cameron is very cute. I told her already. For some reason I had a different image of you. I like the original

TheTeaFairy

And I do live up north :-)

mj

If she’s the sun, she’s still a star :-P. We’re both right?

yyz

Hugs and thanks for people who seem to know exactly what we need and when we need it. I’m sorry for you struggles but I’m glad you have a supportive person helping you through it.

mrmopar

Your light will never be dim as long as you allow it to shine.

Yyz, mrmopar…all of you, thank you, I just adore this place <3

caile

Hugs! And just so you know, reading your words brightens my day as well! :)

Stephanie

How sweet <3 And this tea is wonderful. Also I always enjoy your photos :)

looseTman

25 Likes + 26 Comments = a whole lot of <3!

TheTeaFairy

Stephanie, what great compliment coming from the wonderful artist that you are :-)

LooseTman, I’m overwhelmed with <3

I received this as a sample in my latest Mandala order. with only 10 grams to work with, I decided to split it into two 5 gram sessions in my 100 ml gaiwan. Since this is less leaf than my normal 6 to 8 grams in this vessel I tried to ‘short-pour’ the water a little to compensate. I took detailed notes but I will spare you from the dreaded copy&paste. Just the highlights follow.

The first session involved short steep times (5/5/7/10/… sec) to see what aromas and flavors I could unmask. The shu brewed up a beautiful medium burgundy color with aromatic hints of mushrooms, warm figs, raw sugarcane, vanilla and mulling spices over the 12 steeps I took this through. It was light to medium bodied with mild flavors of mushrooms, pepper, cedar, leather, minerals, allspice, cinnamon, and a noticeable sweetness tying it all together. Near the end I picked up notes of SweetTarts in one steep and Cinnamon Disc candies in another. In all cases the aromas and flavors were quite mild, causing me to really focus on the tea to get a sense of what was gong on.

The second session used longer steeps (15/30/45/… sec) to see how it reacted. Again the tea revealed only mild aromas and a light to medium body. Aromas of raw cane sugar, vanilla, caramel, and, oddly enough, grape gum (at the end) came forth. This session had significant sweetness in the aftertaste, some spice up front, mild shu flavors and a lively feeling on the tongue over the course of seven steeps.

I’m not going to rate this tea since I don’t really feel like I got a chance to know it. When it becomes available on the Mandala site I will buy a few ounces and put it in a clay jar for six months or so and try it again with my normal amount of leaf. I don’t have a great deal of experience with new shu, but this came across as ‘young’ to me. It seems to have promise and I’m willing to give it another try.

Boiling

Interesting!

TheTeaFairy

I love how you were able to describe all those notes, you’re like “the note extractor” lol. I’m really interested in this one, will keep in mind for next Mandala order, thanks for this review.

TeaExplorer

TTF: The spectrum of flavors were a nice surprise. This seems to be more of a contemplative shu than a bold in-your-face one. I am looking forward to buying more loose leaf so I can both dial in the regimen to my liking and see how it matures over the course of time. And because I trust Garret’s taste I will pick up a couple of cakes when they become available and salt them away for a while.

Garret

Great review! Thank you for this. This is most definitely a young ripe pu’er. But… this one is gonna age like a champ, especially the cakes. I certainly don’t want to wish time away (goodness knows it’s going to fast as it is) but 2 to 3 years after this pressing comes online, it’s gonna ROCK. – The Noble Mark cake is a blend of 4 leaves (Temple Stairs is 2) fermented in a similar fashion and on October 29th, the pressing will be 2 years old. I am already amazed at the difference in clarity in around 1.5 yrs. That same thing is going to happen to this cake. We’ll keep them stored in our pu’er room and they will blossom :) Love your reviews!

And by the way… I was just listening to a live dead show from 1989, sipping some ripe tea (year of the dragon), grooving to a very sweet Eyes of the World. Life may be sweeter for this…

TeaExplorer

Garret — I miss my live Dead. I’m old school so it’s all on tapes or CDs, and the office is still in boxes … need to finish unpacking!

How about you? Are yours in digital format, or are you ‘old school’ as well?

I was looking at “The Complete Road Trips” on LiveDownloads (http://www.livedownloads.com/packages/2,383/Grateful-Dead-Complete-Road-Trips.html). Although pricy (FLAC is $350), it covers multiple eras and fills in many holes in my collection. May have to add that to my wishlist! I thought I’d mention it in case you were not aware. —Jeff

Garret

I pretty much listen to all my live dead on: https://archive.org/details/GratefulDead You can stream thousands of shows and there are many that are downloadable, as well. I used to have many cassettes as I had friends who were tapers and then had access to many soundboards on CD because of a buddy who is in tight with Bob Weir’s wife, Natasha. That was nice. Now… I don’t have a collection anymore. Just online streaming and downloading when I just gotta hear a certain show in the car.

TeaExplorer

Woah … had no idea about the collection on archive.org. Very cool! Thanks for that =:-D