Autumn Song

Pu-erh Tea
Autumn Leaf Pile, Graham Cracker, Maple Syrup, Sweet, White Grapes, Asparagus, Citrus, Floral, Green Pepper, Vanilla, Vegetal, Flowers, Honey, Spinach, Apple, Dry Grass, Grapes, Vegetables, Zucchini, Dried Fruit, Raisins, Rice Pudding, Camphor, Citrus Zest, Menthol, Sweat, Fish Broth
Edit tea info Last updated by KiwiDelight

Available from 1 seller.

From Mandala Tea

The fragrant mountain leaf
extends its song.
My kettle adds the harmony.

It is with great joy that we unveil a most magnificent raw pu’er. Our Autumn Song 100 gram sheng cake was pressed in March of 2014 using meticulously picked and processed mao cha from early October 2013 outside of Da Hu Sai village. Grown without pesticides, this tea tested 100% pure and is from trees that are between one and two centuries old.

The tea gardens on Da Hu Sai are at an elevation of and above 6500 ft (2000 meters). The mao cha used to create these cakes is comprised of 3-to-1 and some 2-to-1 leaf to bud ratio. Long, broad, gorgeous leaves weave together like silver thread in this handsome and tasty cake.

In our experience with both the mao cha and the pu’er, we discovered that this potent and pleasurable tea can take whatever we throw at it water temperature wise and in steeping style. In Da Hu Sai, when younger leaves are used, the villagers will frequently use water temps around 195 F in the beginning of a session while increasing the temperature in later and longer infusions. But there are no rules in tea brewing so we recommend trying this at full-boil from the beginning as well. Just make it your cup of tea.

Soft and slightly citrusy, with hints of vanilla and crisp white tea are evident while super-clean essences of grain and spiciness also make themselves known. No smoke present, just refreshing and sweet sheng pu’er flavor.

Energy wise, this tea sharpens our focus and heightens the senses. Several of our yoga teaching friends and customers adore the way this tea opens up the chakras and gets the qi flowing. Let the Autumn Song be sung through you!

About Mandala Tea View company

This tea is where it’s at! This brew was a deep and resounding brew for me. The dry leaf had a strong white grape and wet wood scent. The colors even remind me of an autumn day. The cake has long strands of light brown, gold, and muddled green. I warmed this up in my brewing vessel. The aroma of maple syrup and apple trees came inside. I washed this treat and began my brewing. The steeped tea gave off a bitter green scent, but it had a sweet graham cracker crust undertone. This tea was surprisingly juicy. The huigan was thick and lasting. This brew gave me a strong mouth feel with slight fruity tones. This soothing liquor was all covered with a light oak tone. The qi was smooth and steady. I enjoyed this thoroughly. The scent, colors, and all around feeling from this tea is of an autumn day. This will be perfect for an October sunset in the future.

Flavors: Autumn Leaf Pile, Graham Cracker, Maple Syrup, Sweet, White Grapes

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

This tea came very, very close to beating Wild Monk as my favorite offering from Mandala Tea. The notes of vanilla and mega floral sweetness were a real surprise after an astringent first couple of steeps. Definitely worth checking out!

Flavors: Asparagus, Citrus, Floral, Green Pepper, Vanilla, Vegetal

Boiling 0 min, 30 sec 8 g 4 OZ / 125 ML
Brian

i liked this quite a bit as well.

Gongfu, 1 tbsp, 200. 30-45 secs. The last time I reviewed this tea it was a few months ago, and it was one of the first shengs I had ever tried. At the time, all I could taste was seaweed. Fast forward a few months, and dozens of teas later, 2-3 a day, every day, all kinds and my palate has completely changed. It’s crazy. I have no idea how the heck I ever tasted seaweed. This tea is sweet; the first steep very much so, I taste white grapes, citrus. Later steeps get a tad bitter and dry. It’s amazing how much a person’s palate can change in such a short amount of time!

a nice and mellow tea! :D

when I smell the leaves dry, it smells floral.

when I smell the leaves wet, it smells like spinach.

when I smell the brewed tea, it smells lightly like spinach then after it has sit a little while it smells like flowers

when I taste the brewed tea, it tastes like honey with just a tad hint of flowers.

many thanks to mrmopar for this amazing tea!

Flavors: Floral, Flowers, Honey, Spinach

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 7 g 25 OZ / 750 ML
TheTeaFairy

Granted! This is a good one :-)

mrmopar

This is a nice one Kirk for sure!

Kirkoneill1988

it was awesome :D

mrmopar

I don’t know if you have tried the “wild mountain”green from them but it is pretty bang up too. Next swap.

This was the last untasted sample from my Mandala Sheng sampler!

Unfortunately I did not take good notes as I drank it all day at work, but I did enjoy this one. Definitely some sweetness here, not too much bitterness, some light floral/fruit notes. Not as bold and brassy as some young sheng can be.

Brewed with a gaiwan. 10 second rinse. Steeping times: 10, 10, 15, 15, 20, 30, 60, 90, 120.

I don’t have a palate for sheng, hence no rating.

A dry aroma of plums, grapes, lettuce an licorice. The wet aroma evolves: from green peppers to grapes to apples and honey. Sweet and juicy – I enjoyed this aroma throughout the session.

Early on and late into the session, the liquor is the color of grape juice, and in the middle of apple juice. Full-bodied, thin textured, clear, and crisp. The first infusion is too light in flavor, tasting of dried grass and grains. It is also unpleasantly sour. The flavor fully develops at infusion two. It is still grassy, though no sourness anymore. A little sweet now. The third infusion has more vegetal notes in addition to grass: zucchini and a reprise of green peppers. The grass lessens in the fourth and fifth infusions, which are also much sweeter – reminding me of grapes – with a hint of citrus.

Back to dried grass thereafter. The sweetness also slowly disappears. Lighter flavor. I’m left with a peppery aftertaste at infusion seven. This, too, goes away. The last infusions are very light and grassy, no peppers at all, and they have an airy mouthfeel.

Flavors: Apple, Dry Grass, Grapes, Green Pepper, Vegetables, Zucchini

205 °F / 96 °C 7 g 3 OZ / 88 ML

My last sample from the raw sampler. This one tested my patience. That artichoke vegetal bitterness I usually get in sheng started on steep two and lasted for a bunch of steepings, rather than the usual 2-3. Once it faded, there were some nice citrus and green bell pepper notes, as promised by the description, but pretty mild in flavor overall. The texture was nice and smooth. I’m glad I got to try it, but again, I think Heart of the Old Tree wins out.

This is by far my favorite of the Mandala Sheng puer I have tried (which are the four that came in their recent sampler).

The initial steeping is very light and creamy with a taste that reminds me of golden raisins and something creamy like plain rice pudding (not the spiced kind). A couple steepings in the dried fruit flavor is more prominent while the creamy quality backs off. There is a very nice clean mouthfeel to this tea. In the third or fourth infusion there is a very noticeable vanilla note in the aftertaste.

Of the four samples in Mandala’s recent Aged Puer sampler pack (Heart of the Old Tree, Wild Monk, Wild Mountain Green, and this one) I may end up purchasing a brick of the Autumn Song to age. It seemed the most delicate of the bunch. Very smooth. I really enjoy it.

I flash infused this in a gaiwan, using only around 7-10 second steepings until around the fourth or fifth, at which point I started adding a few seconds each time.

UPDATE: Five months later, I finally had the extra money to buy one. I imagine myself having trouble saving this to age it. At only 100 g I’ll have to be careful to use it sparingly… or I could just be totally indiscriminate and buy another one for aging later, this one for drinking now. :P

Flavors: Dried Fruit, Raisins, Rice Pudding

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 3 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

I got this tea in a swap with a Pu-Erh expert, and it was my first dip into the lot, so perhaps I am grading this one a little too harsly.

My first notice was the large amount of sticks. I actually had to break some up to get them to fit into my cup. (like 3 inches long. I don’t even know how they fit into the bag).

Unfortunately I’m not a fish fan, the only sushi I can do is fully cooked, so the fish broth taste didn’t really work for me. There was a caramel menthol sweetness to it, and a smokey ness.

Reading the blurb on the website, this is a tea I would love to love, but unfortunately I can’t really see myself ordering any more in the future.

Updating my ranking to my new system.

Taste = 65
Price = 52.38
Representation = 75

New score of 64.12

Well, good morning to YOU, too, pretty tea.

First, I would like to say that I put my big girl pants on and broke into this cake yesterday, after hemming and hawing around for several days. It does seem kind of a shame to break up such a lovely and perfect thing as a tea cake, but I got some great advice from my tea friends about starting from the indentation in the back of the cake. This made it easy, and I used extra care, so the cake still looks perfect on the front. It’s all carefully wrapped back up now.

Anyways..

Method: 3.3 g, 3 oz, 198 degrees, 10 sec rinse, 10-15-20 seconds, ru kilk gaiwan & Dr. Who mug

Dry Leaf Aroma: This smells clean and pleasant. A little foresty, but not really earthy. More like trees after a rain.

Brewing Aroma: This has a distinctly apricot smell, like I found in the Heart of the Old Tree 2012, also from Mandala. There’s also a mineral note and a very slight hint of seaweed, but only when I sniff really hard. It’s mainly fruit and fresh tree smells.

Flavor: The 3 steeps indicated above were combined into one mug.

Maybe I will only drink shengs for the rest of my life. I really haven’t had enough of them to say that, but I don’t care. I just love this. There are so many flavors all up in yo face. Being a novice, it’s hard to pick them all out, but I’m having a great time making the attempt.

There’s fruit, then a little bitterness, then a little sweetness, then a little dryness.

MOAR! MOAR! ALL YOUR SHENG ARE BELONG TO US!!!!!

200 °F / 93 °C 0 min, 15 sec 3 g 3 OZ / 88 ML
MzPriss

Welcome to the wonderful world of being a sheng-head

MMMmmmhhmmmm.

I’m creating a new tea classification called “Magic Mood Teas”. To qualify, the tea must improve my mood or in some way provide a noticeable pleasant physical effect. This one makes the cut. So. Much. Happy.

Cameron B.

Heart of the Old Tree is such an epic name…

And I feel like I would like sheng puerhs, just from the flavor descriptions and such. Someday!

Sarsonator

I think you will, Cam! I’m going to hold off on my shous for a little while. I think shengs have been easier for me to start with. So dang good!

Stephanie

shengs are great like that :) definitely magical!

Sarsonator

I want to drink them ALL!

Jamie Groth

Garret set up us the bomb!

MzPriss

well Cameron yes, Heart of the Old Tree WAS an epic name. Too bad we ruined it by changing it to Hot Cowboy.

Sarsonator

Hahaha Jamie!!!! Too funny!!!!

Sarsonator

I just combines steeps 7,8,9 and am settling in with those. I overstepped 8 & 9, but this is still yummy!!!

Lady Gaga arrived, along with the LBCG. Life is good!!!!!

Cam: your tea is packed and ready to send out!!!!!

Cameron B.

Hooray, can’t wait! :D You’re the best.

No, you are :p

Lion

WHAT YOU SAY!
Jamie’s comment is killing me.