Temple Stairs 2014 Mini Tuocha

Pu-erh Tea
Creamy, Smooth, Citrus, Earth, Mineral, Pleasantly Sour, Wet Wood, Bitter, Dark Chocolate, Dark Wood, Chocolate, Sweet, Cocoa, Coffee, Barnyard, Brown Sugar, Caramel, Grain, Dark Bittersweet, Hay, Vineyards
Edit tea info Last updated by Ag
Boiling 1 min, 0 sec 6 g 6 oz / 176 ml

• “If i’m ever going to get to 50 teas, i need to get my drink on with my puerh more often. I had been trying to get to at least ONE session a week but that sort of...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 7674 tasting notes
  • “This was a really good mini tuo. It opened up completely on the second steep (5 sec) after a 20 second rinse and a 5 second first steep. The main thing that I came away with is that it tasted very...” Read full tasting note
    mtchyg 126 tasting notes
  • “These are really cute mini tuos. I grabbed one to brew in the morning; because, it was something quick, fast, and easy. The small little guy carries a light fermentation and a dry scent. I warmed...” Read full tasting note
    Haveteawilltravel 370 tasting notes
  • “Oh snap, this is fantastic! Normally the touchas that I get that are ripe are super dark, but this looked like it was coated in dirt :) ^ that is a good thing This tea was a little hard to break...” Read full tasting note
    Proust614 903 tasting notes

From Mandala Tea

“Temple Stairs” – Mini Tuocha (bowl shaped cakes) pressed in March 2014
average weight with wrapper is 5.1 grams each

Morning arrives soon and with it,
the monkey mind.
In this moment, I’ve this tea -
a training ground upon which I find my center.

We are pleased to present yet another Mandala Tea exclusive ripe pu’er. This creamy and smooth two leaf blend was created using grade one material that was spring-picked and ripened in 2012 and 2013. Not only were both pickings from plantations that are pesticide free, but the two growing areas (at Bada and Mengsong) are far from any cities or air pollution. This is 100% pure tea and some of the finest ripe tea available. We also note that the leaf was expertly cared for in the process of fermentation, yielding a perfectly ripened leaf with full integrity. Teas from these areas are famous for their uplifting nature as well as their qi raising goodness. As this tea warms your lower dan tien (in laymen terms – the “energy bank account”), you will note hints of cocoa in aroma and taste. Flavors of sweet root vegetables with hints of dark brown sugar dance on your tongue alongside the clean and well-rounded essence of minerals.

Conventional wisdom among pu’er drinkers is to avoid mini tuochas because they are often comprised of junky leaves and chop destined for tourist shops or shady weight loss websites. Conventional wisdom isn’t wrong for the most part. For every twenty different mini’s we try, maybe one makes the “would drink again” cut. So why did we press mini’s along with our 100 gram cakes?

Because they are so convenient (video demo) and have an undeniable “awww cute” factor…just look at them! We have many customers who only drink ripe pu’er when in this handy form and part of our curated mini-tuocha assortments. Travelers, campers, and extremely busy people don’t need to sacrifice quality for convenience. This is our exclusive top-shelf mini for the people.

Climb the Temple Stairs and find your center.

About Mandala Tea View company

If i’m ever going to get to 50 teas, i need to get my drink on with my puerh more often. I had been trying to get to at least ONE session a week but that sort of fell by the way side. So today i figured i should try. Pulled this one out because i am a mandala fan and can’t bring myself to use up my special dark. heh. This should make for a very enjoyable morning.

Garret

Too funny to see this just now, Sil! I started my day by climbing the Temple Stairs, too! I make wishes that it made for a good start of your day. Enjoy!

yay! thanks Garret!

The main thing that I came away with is that it tasted very clean and silky, creamy, and smooth. A very easy drinker. I can see why they decided to put this tea into a mini tuo. It is a very easy toss, steep, drink type of tea.

Flavors: Creamy, Smooth

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 4 OZ / 118 ML
Lion

I love this tea, and have a 200g cake of it. They sent me some of these mini tuos as a sample with it and I dare say the cake is even sweeter and smoother than the tuos. I agree with you that this tea is really clean and smooth.

mtchyg

Oh, I imagine the cake is probably better! Sounds amazing. :)

These are really cute mini tuos. I grabbed one to brew in the morning; because, it was something quick, fast, and easy. The small little guy carries a light fermentation and a dry scent. I warmed him up in my gaiwan and prepared for brewing. The little tuo gave off a warm fresh soil and forest aroma. I washed the tuo once to get it nice and ready. The leaves take about two steeps to fully expand. These wet leaves carry a sweet but daunting earth scent. The liquor is heavily black with a deep red. I mean like black black black when I say this. You couldn’t even see light through it. The flavor is very good. This is a perfect on-the-go daily Shu drink. There is a pleasant drying sensation with a light mineral tone. The black liquid is heavy with earth and fermentation tones. There was a background oak and pleasant sour flavor in later steeping. The odd thing is that a slight tang or citrus tone follows the drinker throughout the session. This is a nice brew; however, it was very “dusty”. I mean that in the sense, that you must have a nice strainer to gongfu this. I was spitting out tiny leaf dusting throughout the whole session. This still was a nice little tuo, and it would be perfect for gongfu on the go.

Flavors: Citrus, Earth, Mineral, Pleasantly Sour, Smooth, Wet Wood

Garret

Thanks for writing up your experience with this tea, my friend! Even though the tea is sifted before we press, there are places in the batch where it might be, shall we say, dustier than others. Sounds like you had one of those. So far, I haven’t run into one like that.
Not to wish time away (it’s going fast enough) but 2 more years and this blend is going to be quite special. That’s why I pressed so many of these mini’s and also the 100 gram cake of it. So happy you had a positive experience (for the most part) with the tea. Again, thank you. G

Haveteawilltravel

I’ll have to try the cake out :) I prefer cake over tuocha any day.

Oh snap, this is fantastic!
^ that is a good thing

This tea was a little hard to break up so I just made a tornado in my gravity steeper with the water and this guy :p
The result at 15s was wonderful… however, I screwed up once again and started this after 9pm so I only made it to steep 10 or 11; better known as 4 bathroom visits (I was told it is just as accurate)

I hope to find more toucha to be this good :)

Daylon R Thomas

I thought you would like this one. :)

Garret

This was high grade leaf we used to make these mini-tuochas. Most of the time, leaf used for minis is not of good quality and I wanted to create one that was super clean, super high quality. I’m working on another mini pressing soon. I’m happy you enjoyed this.

Thank you Garret! I really enjoyed this one!

This was one of the recent samples I got from my last Mandala Order. Pu-Erh’s were in my budget since there typically cheaper, and I wanted to get one cake, the Noble Mark, as a preemptive hangover strike for my 21st a few months from now next year (it helped my roommate out and I looked up that it helps detox alcohol). I also got it in case the price goes up with age. And I needed something to replace my morning coffee, and for about four bucks per ounce plus free shipping, I decided it was worth getting some, though I’ll drink it more in the winter and next year.

So for this one: I’m still slowly getting over the “pooh” smell in Pu-Erh. It made me hesitate, but I reminded myself that Pu-Erh very rarely tastes like it smells. I was right. I rinsed it twice, first five seconds, then ten. The first 45 second steep brewed something that highly resembled coffee in color, with a little bit more orange and burgundy, or even purple undertones. The taste was like a very smooth black tea, albeit with a dark earth, yet somehow silkier body. There’s some woodsiness that also reminds me of some Wu Yi’s that I’ve had. The second and third steeps were approximately between 45-50 seconds. It somehow got sweeter and more minerals later one, which I started to prefer. There’s some chocolate there, but I almost did not notice it-to me it was much more like a dark chocolate.

The thing that I really liked about this tea was how smooth it was. Astringency was only slightly there, but almost nonexistent. The only bitterness was from the earthiness of the Pu-Erh, but again, it was not so present and yields smooth.

This tea is definitely for a more experienced drinker. My mom is pretty experienced herself and she liked it, but she also had to get past the smell to drink it. NEWBIES BE WARNED. Tea snobs, come loving it.

Flavors: Bitter, Dark Chocolate, Dark Wood, Earth, Smooth

200 °F / 93 °C 0 min, 45 sec 8 OZ / 236 ML

Mmmm, mandala to go!

I love how smooth this is. I have been so lazy with my teas at work lately, grandpa style everything. This one is just made for it!

Stephanie

this is a great one :)

Lion

Mmmm. I have a cake of this on my to-buy list. It will be my first ripe puer cake. I have a few raw ones, but no ripe yet!

From the Sheng and Shou TTB.

Brewed the gongfu method with a ceramic gaiwan. Gave the tuocha a 20 second rinse. Steeping times: 5, 5, 10, 30, 40, 60, 240.

Luscious aroma: cocoa and sugarcane arise when the tuocha is newly steeped, then loam and damp earth at the end of the session.

The liquor full-bodied, delectably creamy, and very dark in color yet clear. The flavors are bittersweet, a combination of dark cooking chocolate and black coffee. I notice that the chocolate tends to rise to the roof of my mouth while the coffee sticks to the tongue. The flavors sweeten and become less bitter as the session goes on. An earthy note then appears.

The tuocha gives away a rich liquor right away, but too much too quickly, as the flavors weaken after the fourth steep, hence the really long ultimate infusion time. Now, this comes from using a ceramic gaiwan. I’m certain a yixing pot would be more generous.

Ugh, it snowed for most of the morning and some of the afternoon (just flurries but still – UGH). At this point of the year, the crocuses would be in bloom. Even spring migration is stalled! Temple Stairs is definitely a comfort in this delayed “spring”.

Boiling 4 g 3 OZ / 88 ML
Dr Jim

Love your review, but hate the snow: it’s been coming down all day here as well. I REALLY need some Spring.

KiwiDelight

Me too. I’m not used to long winters. The grayness has been making me feel so tired.

Kaylee

I am so done with the constant cold. But it has to change some day… right?

Mmmmmmmmmmm I love Mandala pu’erh. This one is no exception. It’s just so comforting. Love how smooth it is. Love how dark it steeps. It just makes me happy.

Hoping everyone on the East Coast is safe and warm.

Sophia

i just saw your profile, may i know have u ever drinked fu brick tea with “Golden Flowers”?

Dexter

I’m going to have to say no. I’m not even really sure I understand what Fu tea is. I have a brick of Anhua dark tea and several pu’erh cakes but thats about it. :))

Sophia

yes, u r right. what u mentioned that anhua dark tea is what i said to u " fu brick tea" , have u tasted anhua dark tea yet? what do u think of the tea? may i have your suggestion??

Dexter

This is what I have. Its lighter than what I would normally expect from a Chinese black tea. It has some roasted, nutty flavors like I would expect from a dark oolong. Just a hint of the earthy/musty that I associate with a ripe pu’erh. It different than anything else I own. I like it and would like to try more.

Sophia

yes,fu brick soup is lighter ,smoother, and it has a softer taste with a little darker colour,i think lots people love the tea not only the taste of itself, but also its healthy care function .

This was a delicious treat for me this afternoon. One mini tuocha lasted through over a liter of water. Yay!

TheTeaFairy

Mmmmm, Temple Stairs…amen!!

I love a toucha. They are so convenient. Today I used a 90ml gaiwan. I don’t do rinses. The first cup was excellent. So smooth and gentle with a taste that reminds of digging potatoes in the dry soil. There was a much lighter background note of leather. The sip ends with a well rounded mineral taste.

The second and third cups convinced me I much prefer Western mug brewing. The tea is coffee colored and has a rough edge that distracts me from everything else that might be going on.

Fourth cup I steep for 10 seconds then poured it into my mug. Added enough kettle water to make an 8 oz cup. Yep, I like this. The roughness is gone and I am back to leather accompanied by earth and maybe sweet hay. This again finishes with the round mineral note.

I never know if it is rude if you don’t mention who sent you a tea or more embarrassing if you do. So let me just say Thank You.