Temple Stairs 2014 Mini Tuocha

Pu-erh Tea
Cocoa
Edit tea info Last updated by Ag
Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 10 g 12 oz / 350 ml

• “This is a very tasty tea with the caveat that it still has a lot of fermentation flavor left. If you don't mind a little fermentation flavor it is an excellent tea. There are some complex notes...” Read full tasting note
    AllanK 161 tasting notes
  • “My head hasn't been quite where it should be at lately... So I've been drinking lots of shou. For some reason, shou helps me find my balance. I'm very passionate about it, and wish to convert as...” Read full tasting note
    TheTeaFairy 404 tasting notes

From Mandala Tea

“Temple Stairs” – Mini Tuocha (bowl shaped cakes) pressed in March 2014
average weight with wrapper is 5.1 grams each

Morning arrives soon and with it,
the monkey mind.
In this moment, I’ve this tea -
a training ground upon which I find my center.

We are pleased to present yet another Mandala Tea exclusive ripe pu’er. This creamy and smooth two leaf blend was created using grade one material that was spring-picked and ripened in 2012 and 2013. Not only were both pickings from plantations that are pesticide free, but the two growing areas (at Bada and Mengsong) are far from any cities or air pollution. This is 100% pure tea and some of the finest ripe tea available. We also note that the leaf was expertly cared for in the process of fermentation, yielding a perfectly ripened leaf with full integrity. Teas from these areas are famous for their uplifting nature as well as their qi raising goodness. As this tea warms your lower dan tien (in laymen terms – the “energy bank account”), you will note hints of cocoa in aroma and taste. Flavors of sweet root vegetables with hints of dark brown sugar dance on your tongue alongside the clean and well-rounded essence of minerals.

Conventional wisdom among pu’er drinkers is to avoid mini tuochas because they are often comprised of junky leaves and chop destined for tourist shops or shady weight loss websites. Conventional wisdom isn’t wrong for the most part. For every twenty different mini’s we try, maybe one makes the “would drink again” cut. So why did we press mini’s along with our 100 gram cakes?

Because they are so convenient (video demo) and have an undeniable “awww cute” factor…just look at them! We have many customers who only drink ripe pu’er when in this handy form and part of our curated mini-tuocha assortments. Travelers, campers, and extremely busy people don’t need to sacrifice quality for convenience. This is our exclusive top-shelf mini for the people.

Climb the Temple Stairs and find your center.

About Mandala Tea View company

This is a very tasty tea with the caveat that it still has a lot of fermentation flavor left. If you don’t mind a little fermentation flavor it is an excellent tea. There are some complex notes including chocolate or cocoa notes. It will be a while before this tea develops complex date notes. Its pretty good.

I steeped two mini tuochas, about 10g in a 350ml yixing teapot with boiling water. I gave it one rinse and then steeped it for 15 sec, 10 sec, and 15 sec. I was going to give it a second rinse but the first rinse was dark enough so the tuochas had broken up. It did not require two rinses.

Flavors: Cocoa

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 10 g 12 OZ / 350 ML

My head hasn’t been quite where it should be at lately… So I’ve been drinking lots of shou.

For some reason, shou helps me find my balance. I’m very passionate about it, and wish to convert as many people as I can to it.

It gets a bad wrap sometimes. But once you get passed the misconceptions and open your mind to it, it’s so rewarding…

Of course there are bad ripe pu’erhs out there and you must find the right ones.

This is the right one.

So smooth and warming. Not heavy on the earthy and leathery notes, perfect shou to try if you’re a little afraid of them.

Temple Stairs is a go to tea for me, and tonight I’ve been sipping on both the tuocha and the loose version of it. (Thanks Sarsita for those cute mini tuos!)

Thank you Mandala for helping me find my centre tonight…

Terri HarpLady

This really is a nice little tuo :)

AllanK

I bought that last week, maybe I will try it tonight. Sounds good.

TheTeaFairy

Glad you like it too Terri :-)

Allan, can’t wait to find out what you think of it!

AllanK

Tea Fairy, did you buy the Temple Stairs cake too? I am waiting to try that too, got it with my order.

boychik

I’m the same way. When in doubt I drink shou! Any kinda pains or blues I drink shou! Not demanding and so much comfort it brings

Tealizzy

I’ve noticed Shou has that effect on me too. Is there a difference in the flavor between the different forms of this tea? Or are they all about the same…just the tuocha being more convenient?

TheTeaFairy

Allan, I did not buy ttge cake yet…

Boychik, right you are :-)

Tealizzy, I prefer just a little bit more the loose version, but not by much…they are very similar, but the loose one seems a little more flavourful to me. And yes, the tuochas are so convenient:-)

Tealizzy

Thanks, TTF! I have this tea on my wishlist from trying a sample of the cake…I’ll have to check out the other forms!

Garret

HI!! Temple Stairs!! I climb them every morning before meditation and yoga!! Love this tea.

Here is my take on what I have found over the years with loose vs pressed ripe tea: In the first year or two, I find that the loose ripe develops more quickly in depth, flavor, clarity. But after 2 to 3 years of being pressed, the cakes develop more complexity than the loose ever will.

Of course, there are a few considerations, first of which is the overall quality of the leaf and original ripening of it. Compression and quality of storage conditions will also affect how a tea ages. But for the most part, I find loose more appealing for year one and two. After that, it’s cakes all the way!

These mini’s are impressing the heck outta me already. Glad that I had 10,000 of them pressed!

And I agree about ripe tea and its soothing qualities. You just can’t go wrong with a good ripe tea, in my opinion. Does that make me sound like a typical “shou” salesman?

Terri HarpLady

Only if the Shou fits, Garret ;)

TheTeaFairy

Lol, you are everything BUT a typical “shou” salesman Garret, that’s why I adore doing business with you :-)

Sarsonator

I know I’m late to the party, but 10,000 mini shous?? That’s so awesome, G!