Quangzhou Milk Oolong

Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Bethany

• “Today was simultaneously terrific and awful. I got word that my organization received a $15,000 grant (from a proposal that I wrote) for a program that is near and dear to my heart. I also got a...” Read full tasting note
    shetheliving 355 tasting notes
  • “I had a Groupon for Margaret's Fine Imports, so one day after work I stopped by. It was such a pleasant surprise! The first tea I purchased was Quangzhou Milk Oolong, and it has since become one of...” Read full tasting note
    meggrs13 1 tasting notes

From Margaret's Fine Imports

Milk Oolong, where to begin? Do we tell you the legends of how it came into existence? Do we tell you how it is actually produced? Do we wax poetic about its luscious flavor? Well, maybe we should do all 3. We’ll start with a legend. The stories of this tea naturally centre on its wonderful milky flavor, which interestingly, is the result of a sudden shift in temperature during harvest – a rare occurrence to say the least. One of the many legends explains that the first time this shift occurred was centuries ago when the moon fell in love with a comet passing through the night sky. The comet, as all comets are wont to do, passed by, burned out and vanished. The moon, in her sorrow caused a great wind to blow through the hills and valleys bringing about a quick drop in temperature. The next morning, local tea pluckers went out to collect their fresh leaf. To their surprise, when the tea was processed it had developed an amazing milky character, which was attributed to the motherly character of the old moon. (Hey, it’s possible!)

Next, a little on how it is produced. Milk Oolong, like all Oolongs, is considered a semi-fermented tea meaning it is somewhere between a black and green tea. Over the years, production methods have remained unchanged for the most part although some aspects like withering temperatures have been automated and regulated. First, the leaf is plucked from gardens situated between 500 – 1200 meters, and is produced between March and December. Next, the plucked leaf is withered in air-conditioned rooms until it is has reached the desired level of fermentation. The fermented tea is rocked, or sifted to sort the prime leaf required, and steamed over hot fire. Finally the tea is dried then re-sorted to ensure leaf quality and packed. The tea is produced in relatively small quantities from March to December; in fact, only 80,000 kg are produced with about 60,000 kg headed for the export market.

Finally, we come to the part where we wax poetic about its outstanding flavor. So how to describe a steaming cup of Milk Oolong Ok, imagine if velvet somehow took liquid form and was blended with a sweet light cream. While drinking it, you find yourself swimming to the bottom of a deep well of orchids. It sounds dream-like doesn’t it? Well brew a pot and experience its milky dreaminess for yourself – an amazingly profound tea.

About Margaret's Fine Imports View company

Today was simultaneously terrific and awful. I got word that my organization received a $15,000 grant (from a proposal that I wrote) for a program that is near and dear to my heart. I also got a call from my doctor with some potentially very troubling news.

So to celebrate/pity myself, I brewed up one of my “special teas,” Milk Oolong. It’s not as sweet as I remembered. Definitely more grassy this time, but that’s alright. It’s still smooth as silk and hits the spot.

Cofftea

Oh no! Thank God for good news on horrible days! Drink lots of tea, I’m praying for you:)

wombatgirl

Yay for the first part, and I’m crossing my fingers for you on the second.

JacquelineM

You’re in my thoughts.

S

Take care and drink lots of tea!

takgoti

I second wombatgirl. Sending you some positive brain waves.

teaplz

Hope everything’s okay, Bethany! I’ll be thinking about you!

Angrboda

I hope it turns out okay. :(

I had a Groupon for Margaret’s Fine Imports, so one day after work I stopped by. It was such a pleasant surprise! The first tea I purchased was Quangzhou Milk Oolong, and it has since become one of my favorites. It produces a very light infusion. I almost thought I hadn’t steeped long enough. I was wrong. It is so delightful on the tongue. It is light, refreshing and creamy! Absolutely delicious.