Vert Provence

Fruit Green Blend
Floral
Edit tea info Last updated by CHAroma

• “I am not very confident with green tea, to me tasting a green is like playing lottery. I find greens a little capricious especially because of the bitterness we can sometimes get (even if we steep...” Read full tasting note
    Ysaurella 342 tasting notes
  • “Meh. This green tea base seems to be the typical cheap Chinese sencha base that I don't like. The oddly cooling mentholy and piney lavender is retry well balanced with the sweet fragrant rose. If...” Read full tasting note
    Mercuryhime 512 tasting notes
  • “I do not know quite what to think of this tea - basically I think this is a sublime masterpiece blend but which I do not quite love. I have been not in love with flavoured green teas lately so...” Read full tasting note
    cteresa 328 tasting notes
  • “Much like in the case of Rouge Provence, this is a tea I gifted someone who ended up hogging it relentlessly - you know, 'I swear I saved some for you, but then I was all out of tea and I HAD to...” Read full tasting note
    annapocalyptic 300 tasting notes

From Mariage Frères

The hinterland of Provence in southern France explodes with plants, flowers, and fruit that all boast heady scents. Lavender, rosemary, thyme, broom, juniper, heather, and boxwood dot hills and plateaus; forests of silvery mimosa colour the mountains of Maures and Estérel, and roses, tulips, jasmine, and violets blanket Grasse; finally, golden fruit trees (lemon, orange) light up the Riviera.

In order to recreate the magic of southern France, Mariage Frères has taken a grand green tea with a flowery, slightly grassy scent, and blended it with fruits from Provence, dominated by ripe red and black berries, creating an intense bouquet that is round in the mouth, concentrated in flavour, supported by the warm aroma of wild lavender and the sweetness of rose petals.

PREPARATION ADVICE FOR 1 CUP :
Amount of tea leaves: 2.5g
Best water temperature: 95 °C
Infusion time: 3 min

About Mariage Frères View company

I find greens a little capricious especially because of the bitterness we can sometimes get (even if we steep the correct time)

This time I won at the lottery ! Thanks so much to cteresa for permitting me to taste this fantastic blend – I am just surprised you didn’t review it yet-sure you will asap your cold will disappear :)

Delicate and refined green tea base without any hint of bitterness nor astringency.

I get more the fruity notes (berries)and behind, in the supporting role the floral notes (rose is the floral leading note to me and then lavender)

I really enjoyed it – did anyone tried it iced ?

Nicole

Sounds like an interesting green. I, too, usually find greens too bitter and when fruit is included it is often too tart for my tastes. Rose and lavender sound like a good addition.

cteresa

I have had it, but did not want to write the taste notes then because i think I did it not quite right and want to try again. Plus for some reason I am in a mood where flavoured greens seem to not quite work for me in the same way as blacks.

My feelings are more or less the same of yours – this is typically an awesome blend, the scent, oh I would so buy it as a perfume.

I also think there was a definite and very interesting thyme note, and rosemary maybe as well? but the thyme was there, which was so unusual but worked so well.

iced, that is a good idea, though not sure if my stash will last long enough for me to try it.

cteresa

and oh, they make a rouge de provence – which I sniffed and am definitively getting 50 grams from one of these days.

TheTeaFairy

you made this one sound exquisite!

Meh. This green tea base seems to be the typical cheap Chinese sencha base that I don’t like. The oddly cooling mentholy and piney lavender is retry well balanced with the sweet fragrant rose. If you like rose and lavender, you’ll like this. And it’s all enhanced with berry flavoring. I’m tasting cherry.
I’m not too impressed with this but I’m grateful to have tried it, thanks to Dustin’s generosity. :)

I do not know quite what to think of this tea – basically I think this is a sublime masterpiece blend but which I do not quite love. I have been not in love with flavoured green teas lately so maybe that is it. But more on why I think this is masterful.

The dry leaf smell of this is possibly the best ever for me. I took a sniff and said, yep I will take it. If this was a perfume I would buy it and wear it, if it was a candle I would get it. It´s a mix of red fruits (cassis surely, maybe raspberry as well) and flowers (rose maybe, lavender) and I think thyme as well and possibly other herbs. It should be an everything but the kitchen sink mess, and somehow it is not, it´s music made of scents.

I brewed this not too hot (maybe not quite 90 C), not too long with a generous scoop. It came out quite pale, not bitter but with some astringency (too hot maybe?), and with strong taste notes of everything on the dry leaf smell, plus a certain grassy something from the green tea which just adds to the impression of being a garden like drink.

So why don´t I love it? Just don´t know. Maybe I just need time to figure it out a bit better, maybe I fell in love too much with the scent and no taste could compete. Will have fun drinking the rest of this, and maybe my feelings will change. Even if I do not quite love it as much as I thought I was going to, this is still a tea I recommend people check out, this is just amazing and really undescriptable!

Ysaurella

I think you like it otherwise you wouldn’t rate it at 81 but you probably were expecting much from the aroma regarding the scent.
As you were so kind to share some with me, I can say this is a tea I would recommend to a new green tea drinker because it is not astringent at all and the aromas balance the herbal taste.

cteresa

I am not always too good with the sliding rate, though yeah 81 seems pretty fair. This is of course sublime and sublimely blended.

I think I left it too long and slightly too hot to get some astringency out of it – I sort of liked the hint of astringency, it made it a little bit grassy, a little bit minty, sort of a garden feeling.

And yes, I was expecting too much from the scent – but I admit that is the most awesome tea scent (to my taste!) EVER!

cteresa

and just to add, I liked it very much and admire it, even if I do not quite love it.

Much like in the case of Rouge Provence, this is a tea I gifted someone who ended up hogging it relentlessly – you know, ‘I swear I saved some for you, but then I was all out of tea and I HAD to drink it!’ (Uh-huh.), so it does seem it has a certain suave appeal.

In terms of looks and scent, it far surpasses the Rouge – it’s very pretty, and adds complex layers of fruits and florals to the nose.

The flavour, though – it’s a perfect, green echo of the rooibos, but it’s so polite. So elegant. So sophisticated. This reminds me of the Thé à l’Opéra (Mariage Frères)/Bravissimo! (Lupicia) comparison I made earlier this week.

I suppose I just have to face that my crush on the Mad Hatter is permanent and that I’ll always favour the anti-heroes.

[Surreptitiously acquired from Mariage Frères in London, August 2013.]

I remember the first time I found this tea, I was in the Mariage Frères on the Place de La Madeleine, it’s a funny little shop without the full tea room as you would find (for example) in Rue Bourg Tibourg in the 4th, no this was in an area surrounded by the exclusive epiceries of Hédiard and Fauchon. Thus, though they did not have a tea room (why bother when you are competing with Laduree too?) they carried quite an extensive range of teas, not to mention a complete selection of the paraphanalia of tea: everything from sables au the (Tea flavoured biscuits!) to mousselines de coton (muslin tea bags, either filled with your tea or empty) to théières (tea pots sounds much more profound in French!) and all sorts of items.
Thus, the sight of this tea on my shelf in it’s bag, and even the handwriting of the lovely man who sold it to me, still make me think of the discovery of this wonderful tea – why? Because it reminded me that it’s not all the same, not every tea is the same.

And how, is this “fruit green tea blend” (how boring sounding??) so different?
Well, firstly, from the first wiff when you open it, you are hit in the face by Lavender – uniquely, it has not just the flowers but, I remember the Mariage Frères assistant pointing out, the oil of lavender and rose in it – so it’s quite unique because lavender is not used that often in blends of tea, because it can be overpowering.
In amongst the flowers, there are herbs like rosemary and thyme, which also feature strongly in the scent, and touch on the taste too. Amongt the herbs, you can subtlely taste the flowers (rose, violet) and the fruits (lemon, orange, berries).

The other thing i love about this tea, is after transporting me to Paris on looking at it and deciding to grab it off the shelf, when I open it I am then transported to Provence: over a month spent walking the hills of Venasque (nr Avignon), smelling the lillies, the lavender, walking through “le voie des cerises” – the avenue of cherries, and finally spending hours carefully tending vineyards in the early spring to get them ready to bud and grow all summer.
All of that, in a tea, not sure how that is possible, but it does remind me of it!

The brewing?
I would definitely use 1.5 desert spoons for a 6 cup pot, and use water off the boil, and brew very quickly with this particular tea – the colour comes out a very awesome bright green, and is super refreshing, like drinking a valley full of flowers and trees.
I can recommend it any time of day, but I think the lavender definitely gives it an aspect of unwinding, so perhaps evening is better.

Anything else?
Just an lovely tea, exceptionally well blended – I gave the man in the shop a description of what I was looking for: not a black tea, something a bit outside the box, with unusual flavourings that blend well with a lighter tea and he pondered for a while, and found me 3 different teas (including this one) and I think I bought all three!

CHAroma

Sounds lovely!

At first i didnt like this tea too much- but now it starts to grow onto me. Subtle nuances are making each cup a new adventure. A tea well woth exploring.

So far I kinda like this tea. It is kind of fruity floral, but not any one thing that I can put my finger on and pick out by name. It is nice and smooth with the green tea hanging out in the background, but so far isn’t anything I have to have in my cupboard. We’ll see if it grows on me.

Very subtle green tea with lots of flowery overtones. Mild and soothing.

I enjoy drinking the soft floral notes of this tea. I have purchased it as loose leaf and as tea bags, but find the loose leaf was more enjoyable.

Flavors: Floral

1943 tasting notes

Another tea bag sample from the cafe. I am not the hugest fan of lavender in my tea so I wasn’t expecting to be really into this one, but it turns out it i’s pretty pleasant. Same somewhat generic sencha base as á l’Opera, but it’s relatively smooth, not too grassy, and inoffensive. I didn’t realize that there was berry flavor in this when I brewed it up but after looking at Steepster, apparently so. It is fruity, but it’s fairly subtle. The lavender isn’t too strong, either, but is defintely present. I would have liked more rose but I suppose it is contributing to a general floral sense.

I accidentally left my kettle set from the last tea and brewed this at 195°F instead of 180°F like I usually would for a green tea, but it seems to have suffered no ill effects.