Thé de Lune

Black Fruit Blend
Berries, Flowers, Peppercorn
Edit tea info Last updated by Ysaurella

• “FYI, this tea is pretty good cold. I did not intend on having it that way but as I brewed a cup, my mom suggest we go shopping to buy a tea thermos of all things so this got left behind on the...” Read full tasting note
    rachel12610 1849 tasting notes
  • “i will never be the same. i will NOT list the beautiful sample that Ysaurella sent me among my teas and no one can make me! because if i did someone might ask me to share and i would look like a...” Read full tasting note
    JustJames 377 tasting notes
  • “We went to the zoo today and I rushed out the door without any tea and while we had a great AWESOME day, (especially because no one was there!) I'm totally drained and in need of tea. I wanted...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1641 tasting notes
  • “Thank you very much *JustJames* for sharing this fabulous tea with me. It's scent brings a lot of distinct memories forward while I sip it, ranging from hiking in the bush in the Carolinian...” Read full tasting note
    yyz 349 tasting notes

From Mariage Frères

When evening falls over Shanghai, the halo of the moon polishes giant skyscrapers and beads river waters with drops of gold and jade. A black tea with handsome, finely work leaves is blended with a grand bouquet of fruity, flowery, vanilla flavours that honour an ultramodern, newly cosmopolitan city. Similarly, the cup has contrasting overtones-simultaneously mild and perfumed, smooth and very slightly peppery.

Quand le soir tombe sur Shanghai, le halo de la lune ombre les gratte-ciel géants et perle l’eau des rivières de gouttes or et jais.

Un thé noir aux belles feuilles finement travaillées combiné à un grand bouquet fruité (baies rouges et noires, agrumes), fleuri (bleuet, mauve) et vanillé figure l’ultramodernité d’une ville à la destinée cosmopolite et donne à la tasse des tonalités à la fois douces et parfumées, suaves et un rien poivrées.

Après cette lune, les contes ne seront plus jamais pareils.

About Mariage Frères View company

FYI, this tea is pretty good cold. I did not intend on having it that way but as I brewed a cup, my mom suggest we go shopping to buy a tea thermos of all things so this got left behind on the counter. Now I have a tea thermos so I can take it with me but today it was cold and not bad at all. It is a little more floral this way but still pleasant. Thank you again, JustJames!

JustJames

i’ve forgotten it on the counter too, lol. it’s good, even then =0)

VariaTEA

I was surprised at how the flavors really held up even when the tea had cooled so much.

keychange

oooh, what kind of tea thermos did you get?

VariaTEA

I went to Teavana and got the contour tumbler in purple. I have the David’s timolino but I forgot it in Toronto when I went to visit my siblings so now I have two which is quite exciting.

Cavocorax

Nothing wrong with two tumblers! I use them at home to brew three cups up at a time (so I only fill the kettle once?)

VariaTEA

I usually make a cup in the gravity steeper, one in my timolino, and sometimes a third using an infuser. Also, having just used the tumbler for the first time I can say that I do not like it as much as the timolino but it is doing its job just fine so all it well.

keychange

Oh, that’s neat. How do you feel it’s worse than the timolino?

VariaTEA

I find it’s design a bit strange. For instance, the infuser basket on the timolino attaches onto the lid so when you are done steeping you lift the lid out and just take off the infuser. The teavana tumbler has the infuser snap into the inside of the tumbler so when you are done steeping, you need to reach into the water to grab it out. So in that sense I prefer the timolino. However, at the end of the day it keeps the tea hot and that is what matters so I am not complaining.

i will never be the same. i will NOT list the beautiful sample that Ysaurella sent me among my teas and no one can make me! because if i did someone might ask me to share and i would look like a selfish jerk when i replied ‘no’.

this blend makes me feel very north american. the finesse of taste carried the weight of years in history before canada was colonized. this tea was not just a continent apart but an entire world.

if you’re asking yourself whether tea from paris would taste better the answer is a hearty HELL YES!

i taste blackberries and smell a gentle unnamed flower. i taste blue and watercolour heather purple. i see peacock feathers drifting in the basket…. this is a dreamer’s tea. i have never had a tea in which i tasted colour.

ysaurella, i must admit, at several points i didn’t want to drink it. i was completely entranced by the dry blend smell…. i sniffed it so much i’m surprised there was any scent or taste left. i was stopped again as it steeped with beautifully scented vapour roiling.

comme c’est beau….. les gens qui dites ‘ca ne vaux pa la peine d’etre beau’ ne connaissent pas cette the.

Anna

This might be the most perfect tasting note ever written. Now I want to share all my MF teas with you.

keychange

Yes, possibly best tasting note ever written. I nearly cried. I felt very similarly about Butiki’s rose violet calendula—it tasted purple to me. I’m so glad you wrote this. Just thanks for being you. Also, I have yet to try this but I want to so badly.

I love this note! :)
Also, I don’t think I could ever ask anyone for a sample of Mariage Freres. It would be asking for too much.

Nightshifter

Added to the shopping list. :)

ifjuly

I totally get you about that feeling when you drink MF; I feel the exact same way.

We went to the zoo today and I rushed out the door without any tea and while we had a great AWESOME day, (especially because no one was there!) I’m totally drained and in need of tea.

I wanted something fantastic, and this is it.

I can’t believe JustJames sent a sample of this as I would totally be tempted to hoard it. :P OTOH, when you have something fantastic it’s exciting to see how others like it too. Either way, THANK YOU. :P

And so, how to describe this? I wish I hadn’t drank all of this today in a way because my head isn’t quite able to describe this.

It’s liquid moonlight. Vanilla dancing with cornflowers. Soft perfume floating in the air and a touch of sweet blackberry fruit to give it some weight.

I had Adagio’s Jane Austen Mafia yesterday, and this is the grown-up version of that. Superb.

Fjellrev

Liquid moonlight is a wicked description.

Veronica

Love your description. I’m now lusting after this tea!

TeaBrat

sounds nice!

caile

That does sound fantastic!

Cavocorax

I’m glad you guys liked my description! :) It was a very lovely tea.

Thank you very much JustJames for sharing this fabulous tea with me. It’s scent brings a lot of distinct memories forward while I sip it, ranging from hiking in the bush in the Carolinian forests of Southern Ontario, my friends mother’s cherry torte, and a cream I loved and can no longer get. I love it’s mix of cream, cherries and spice.

The dry leaf contains pieces of what appear to be cinnamon, fruit and cornflowers. After
3.5 min I was left with a fragrant maple blended with copper coloured brew.

The tea smells of vanilla cream, cherries, and white cake. It is a light cherry cream scent, not sharp, closer to maraschino with cinnamon underneath, with a scent that reminds me a little bit of sassafras or spice bush.

The flavour reminds me a little bit of cream soda. Cream tinted with spice bush, cinnamon and cherry almond note. An undertone in the taste, leaves a feeling like cola at the back of the throat. There is a hint of a light almond flavoured fluffy biscuit, almost like ladies fingers.

The aftertaste is of cinnamon, a cherry like fruit note and cream soda/ cola note that lingers.

The base is pretty smooth and rich, mostly hidden by the flavouring but It seems to be contributing a sweet and faintly tart note and enough tannins to give this tea some body.

Thanks again James! I can see why you love it.

AnnaEA

Tea of the Moon! I don’t thing I want the tea you’re describing, but I want a tea with it’s name.

TheTeaFairy

Aww, cherries…love this review and the memories :-)

ashmanra

Sounds lovely!

JustJames

so glad you enjoyed it! i love tea that brings me special places… =0)

One of the tea I absolutely wanted to taste- I bought a full bag today.

The dry leaves scent is amazing, opulent & floral more than fruity, very promising.

The liquor is less amazing than the dry leaves scent but the notes are very well balanced between floral and fruity ones.
It’s so well balanced that it is complicated to get the ingredients identified clearly.
Even if I know there are vanilla, red & black berries, citrus and cornflowers and mallows, none is overpowering.

Warm, it becomes even better than very hot.

I’ll need to taste it more to see if the experience is different. To be continued so !

cteresa

It sounds so interesting – I think vert de Provence might be similarish, the most magnificent scent ( I would buy it as perfume), complex and exquisite. Their blends really are something.

Still more awesome elegant and unusual tea from JustJames! He is a wonderful Steepster friend, not for these amazing swaps only of course but for messaging me when I sound blue in my notes, all kinds of reaching out. Friends on Steepster warm me emotionally, not just physically with tea!

This tea is something else. It’s got that trademark French tea quality of being immediately heady thanks to the layered perfume of it. What sets it apart though is after that initial hit of haunting floral fragrance there’s a peppery note! I am really digging that part; I seem to love when teas have some lurking aspect that’s highly unexpected but works (like say, the green chile and masa harina qualities in Mandala’s Morning Sun, or the cooling mint in their Loose and Luscious Lincang, or the mint in Taiwan Tea Crafts’ Red Jade). As the copy notes, the pepper gives the entire blend a modern edge that sharpens the more classic/vintage powdery femmy floral softness of the rest of the blend. That striking balance reminds me of the best of my favorite modern perfumes. Wonderful stuff. Visually beautiful too!

Tuscanteal

I like this one too and miss it from my Stash.

To JustJames, thank you so incredibly unbelievably much for sharing this with me. I was able to identify which tea this was right away, and that alone made it all the more special. Thank you!

In the bag, this tea smells like a conglomerate of fruit and something else unidentifiable but sweet, although I suspect I was likely smelling several other teas, as the entire sample package smells delicious, and I almost wish I could make a tea that just smells like the whole package.

I steeped this up keychange style, so I added in my requisite rock sugar and cream, and gave it about four and a half minutes, heaping tsp for about 8 oz of water.

The taste is indeed exquisite and refined, and I could tell immediately that the tea was of high quality. I didn’t have quite the revelation JustJames had while drinking this tea, and for that I am sorry, but it was delightful nonetheless. It tasted sort of reminiscent of H and S’s Parris, although the base is more pronounced, and if you let it steep too long, you almost, and I really do mean almost encounter a slightly medicinal note that actually isn’t entirely off-putting. The bergamot in this is also detectable, although I can’t quite recall if bergamot is even listed in the admittedly intriguing description.

I’m glad I have 100 more g of this tea though, because I really did enjoy it! thanks again, JustJames!

How lucky I am to have received this tea in a swap with JustJames!

This tea is downright enchanting! It is all sweet citrus and berries with creamy floral overtones. Lovely stuff. Thank you so much for sharing JustJames :)

JustJames

an artist’s tea….. a dreamer’s tea. you are more than welcome.

Sipdown #15

Big thanks to JustJames for sending me this sample! The tea tastes like spun sugar and fruit, primarily blackberry. I added some Truvia, which brought out more berry sweetness. The cup cooled while I perused the Internet and was still just as delicious cold as hot. Overall, this is really yummy. There’s a slight bitterness at the end of the sip that could probably be remedied by a reduced steep time and/or the addition of milk. On the second infusion, I added both milk and Truvia. This is simply delectable! I really like this one. In fact, I’d rather have a tin of this than the tin of Marco Polo currently in my cupboard. Note to self: this one is worth paying for international shipping.

Flavors: Berries

keychange

I can send you some of this when I sent you your mug (provided dT has the mug lol)

CHAroma

Wow, you are the coolest person ever. I need to send you something in return!

This tea is….(drumroll)… Eros 2.0. Well, a slightly modified version of Eros. In fact, I brewed a cuppa Eros just to try them side by side, because I thought I had brewed the wrong tea!

OK well with a direct comparison, there are some differences. All the floral notes are still there, drinking this tea is still like walking through the gardens of Château de Chenonceau. HOWEVER, the hibiscus is gone, and with it all the tartness and sour notes of Eros. Comparing the two, this tea tastes a little bit sweeter and the tart is replaced by a slight hint of spice – picking through the leaves it looks to me like they replaced the hibiscus with french marjoram blossoms, but for all I know it could be sweet rocket, purple marigold, or some herb/flower I don’t recognize.

This also has a slightly smoother, creamier mouth-feel than Eros. Once again, probably attributed to the removal of hibiscus which has a pretty low pH.

Eros is a nice solid foofoo girly tea, and so is this. I loved visiting Château de Chenonceau but it wasn’t the gardens I loved the most, it was the display cases filled with swords and antique guns. ;-) I guess that being a pretty manly guy will get in the way of giving this a great score, but it will make great tea for my mom or female guests. If you love “flowery” flowers (think French garden, perfumes, etc.) in your tea, give this +10-20 points, depending how much you love flower gardens. If you are a woman, give this another +10-20 points, depending on how feminine you are. Voila, your personalized score. :-)

It is at the very top of my “Standard cuppa” rating though, since it still is tasty. I mean, if I ever break a nail while welding a metal statue of guns that fire bacon, this tea would fit perfectly and will be wonderful for guests. Would I recommend it? YES to certain audiences.

I realize this review may sound a bit sexist LOL. I guess after having 700ml of flowery foofoo tea, I guess I feel like I had to overcompensate in manliness to restore the balance in my evening. Excuse me, I now have to go smoke a cigar and cook some steaks over a campfire. Mmm puts me in the mood for a lapsang souchong LOL.

Flavors: Flowers, Peppercorn

Hahaha love it!

darby

So glad I’m following you….this sounds like a winner to me!

Ubacat

So I guess my rating would be 80 for this tea. lol (Although I enjoy antique swords too but not as much as flowers)

TeaWings

;) Yes ubacat, if I were to make a youtube video review of this or Eros, I’d set it to Mumford & Sons “Flowers in your hair” but change all the lyrics around and re-title it “Flowers in your tea”