Berries, Caramel, Chocolate, Flowers, Jam, Strawberry, Vanilla, Creamy, Smooth, Sweet, Tart, Fruity, Malt, Raspberry
Bulk, Loose Leaf, Sachet
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Sivasubramanian

2 Images

From Mariage Frères

Mariage Frères’ most famous secret is this mysterious blend that takes you to distant lands and strange countries. The aroma of Chinese and Tibetan flowers and fruit lend it a uniquely velvety taste. Its extraordinary bouquet makes Marco Polo the most legendary of flavoured teas.

Succès incontesté de la Maison Mariage Frères, ce mélange secret vous fera voyager dans les plus lointaines et mystérieuses contrées. Les senteurs de fleurs et de fruits de Chine et du Tibet lui confèrent un arôme velouté unique. Un bouquet extraordinaire pour le plus mythique des thés parfumés.

About Mariage Frères View company

Probably my favorite black tea. :)

A fruity layer over a powerful black tea. It’s not my thing (I’m not a fruit tea person), but my husband loves it.

Flavors: Fruity

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 25 OZ / 750 ML

Next in line! This sample came from boychik and, originally, CharlotteZero (whom I wish would come back so I could thank her!). I’m unsure how this one got missed, as I’m usually rather eager to try French tea samples. I guess it must have gotten lost at the bottom of the sample box! The leaves are very small and dark. I can’t smell much, perhaps a hint of fruit.

I can immediately smell that this tea is French – it has that powdered sugar aroma. I can also smell red fruits and some sweetness. Hm, this is actually quite good, especially for being rather old. There are definitely red fruits here, mostly heavily strawberry and raspberry. It got a teeny bit bitter, but I did steep it for 4 minutes, and the leaves looked quite broken. I can taste a hint of vanilla, but I wish there was more. Pretty tasty, I would like to try a fresh sample of this one. :) Withholding rating because I suspect flavor loss here.

Flavors: Fruity, Malt, Raspberry, Strawberry, Vanilla

boychik

You really should try Celebration H&S . Like French tea without artificial aftertaste. I think Im going to order some tonight. They have BOGO sale.

Cameron B.

Yeah, I’m curious about that one. I might have to order a tin if they do a free shipping day without minimums. :)

Thank you so much EvaGrimm for sharing this. It had been on my wishlist and I don’t even remember why. I added a little milk and it tasted like my favorite birthday dessert, strawberry shortcake.

Finished this one off! I like this one. It’s delicious. It has a nice berry, jammy thing going on. It’s fruity and has a nice base :)

I love this tea in the summer as it makes a great iced-tea! Let a few teaspoons brew in a jug of boiled water, remove the tea after a few minutes, let it cool in the fridge and have it like that or with a few summer berries.

This sample comes to me from EvaGrimm Thank you!

I have been quite on here for a bit. I have been drinking tea, but it has been a bit more limited than normal. The heat has me running from the hot drink, and I haven’t found myself making too much ice tea, or finding the worlds to write about the ones I have been drinking.

Ever since falling in love with a few french teas, this has been on my wish list since it is something that can be purchased here in the U.S and seems to be fairly popular. The smell of this is wonderful, but the taste for me was way different than I was expecting. I was expecting a candy strawberry flavor, but instead I got a floral fake berry taste. It was okay, but not great. I think I will try this one again with sugar, and also maybe iced. I really want to love this one, but I think my first impression is not love at first sight.

mj

Where did you buy it?

TeaTiff

I received some of this in a swap from EvaGrimm. I have seen it at Dean and Deluca’s online though.

mj

Um, yes, I do see that you got in a swap now. It was only right in front of my face! Sorry, totally on the struggle bus today. But you are right that they do sell it at Dean and Deluca’s. Interesting….

TeaTiff

Haha! The struggle bus! I haven’t heard that one before. That comment cracked me up.

The expectations that go with the name of this blend as well as the rather attractive packing leaves one utterly disappointed when it comes to the tea itself.

As soon one opens the tin an almost overwhelming smell of artificial flavors do penetrate the nose. Vanilla and Strawberry…not sure where to find the connection of those ‘fruity notes’ with China or Tibet.

After infusing the tea leafs the water colors nicely. But by now the whole room is filled with a scent that comes closer to American cotton candy or Jelly Beans then the Himalaya.
After drinking the first cup of well infused tea comes the conclusion that the taste of the actual tea leaf is very weak. The brew does taste thin. The aftertaste disappears far too quickly.
The awakening effect is surprisingly weak considering the cut size of the leafs.

This tea blend could however turn out to be interesting if tamed down with a adding of Assam leafs or a rough sort of Pu-Erh.

I absolutely LOVE Marco Polo. It’s a strong flavoured black tea, with notes of flowers and red fruits. It is promising olfactorily and does not disappoint gustatorily. Cannot recommend highly enough.

Flavors: Flowers

From “Another traveling tea box” – this is nice! I got two good steeps out of it. I don’t know if I’ll keep it or just let the sample be it. But it’s definitely a nice tea.