Flowers, Caramel, Vanilla, Berries, Jam
Bulk, Loose Leaf, Sachet
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Sivasubramanian

2 Images

• “Yesterday's sprinkles gave way to real rain. You can just feel the tired old earth around me go "ahhhhhh." I woke up craving this. I must have needed an "ahhhh" too. This is lovely and fruity...” Read full tasting note
    gmathis 1737 tasting notes
  • “SIPDOWN! I loved this when I first got it, but I did find it to be finicky - finicky, but worth it. As long as I keep the temp around 203F and the time around three minutes this is great. Hubby...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1848 tasting notes
  • “It's been forever since I've had this tea. But not because I don't love it. It's actually the opposite - I adore this tea so much that I haven't been able to force myself to open the new tin of...” Read full tasting note
    aug3zimm 911 tasting notes
  • “Sipdown! Had a small cup of this before tucking the rest ofth is away For cavocorax :) while I enjoy this one, it's not my favourite of the MF teas that I've had the pleasure of trying.” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 5074 tasting notes

From Mariage Frères

Mariage Frères’ most famous secret is this mysterious blend that takes you to distant lands and strange countries. The aroma of Chinese and Tibetan flowers and fruit lend it a uniquely velvety taste. Its extraordinary bouquet makes Marco Polo the most legendary of flavoured teas.

Succès incontesté de la Maison Mariage Frères, ce mélange secret vous fera voyager dans les plus lointaines et mystérieuses contrées. Les senteurs de fleurs et de fruits de Chine et du Tibet lui confèrent un arôme velouté unique. Un bouquet extraordinaire pour le plus mythique des thés parfumés.

About Mariage Frères View company

The expectations that go with the name of this blend as well as the rather attractive packing leaves one utterly disappointed when it comes to the tea itself.

As soon one opens the tin an almost overwhelming smell of artificial flavors do penetrate the nose. Vanilla and Strawberry…not sure where to find the connection of those ‘fruity notes’ with China or Tibet.

After infusing the tea leafs the water colors nicely. But by now the whole room is filled with a scent that comes closer to American cotton candy or Jelly Beans then the Himalaya.
After drinking the first cup of well infused tea comes the conclusion that the taste of the actual tea leaf is very weak. The brew does taste thin. The aftertaste disappears far too quickly.
The awakening effect is surprisingly weak considering the cut size of the leafs.

This tea blend could however turn out to be interesting if tamed down with a adding of Assam leafs or a rough sort of Pu-Erh.

I absolutely LOVE Marco Polo. It’s a strong flavoured black tea, with notes of flowers and red fruits. It is promising olfactorily and does not disappoint gustatorily. Cannot recommend highly enough.

Flavors: Flowers

From “Another traveling tea box” – this is nice! I got two good steeps out of it. I don’t know if I’ll keep it or just let the sample be it. But it’s definitely a nice tea.

I haven’t trusted myself to write a decent tasting note lately, and it’s mainly because my head has been really scattered. See here:

1. I got this tea back in September when a friend got it for me from London. Little did I know that this is one of the mf teas you can get pretty much everywhere. Oh well.
2. It smells great dry, like an assortment of fruit, with emphasis on the sweeter fruits, but not distinctly strawberry.
3. Brewed for five minutes. added milk and cream.
4. Tastes exactly like a strawberry campino candy, with a hefty black base that seems to be heftier than what I would think is normal for mf but maybe i’m under-estimating them. It’s different enough from Ruby pie that I can happily say I have two favourite strawberry teas. When I sniffed this tea after it had been brewed, I smelled that signature sort of metallic smell I sometimes get from french teas, and my heart sank the slightest bit. But that smell wasn’t present in the sip and it was all creamy campino and who can complain about that?

Dinosara

Hey, someone else that gets the metallic note! I have always felt that my taste buds are crazy because almost no one else tastes (or smells) it. What other teas have you tasted/smelled it on?

keychange

Oh, you get that metallic note too? How odd. Well, I’ve mostly found it in French teas (ninas paris comes to mind, actually, and maybe some df teas as well). How about you? perhaps we can help one another avoid that metallic taste!

Dinosara

I’ve actually only gotten it in MF teas, but not all of them. They have a nut one called Trois Noix that I first noticed it in. I’ve never tasted it in a DF tea but I’m not sure about Nina’s. I can’t fathom what causes it!

keychange

That’s funny that we’ve both found it in French teas though.

This is a very sweet, very fruity, very yummy tea. It’s a tea for people who don’t drink tea. My boyfriend, who prefers overbrewed Lipton tea to high quality loose leaf varieties, likes this one a lot. He asks for it with some milk and sugar… I personally think it’s quite yummy but I can’t drink it everyday. It definitely fills its niche very well though! Lovely sweet strawberry scent and taste.

1 tsp 14 OZ / 414 ML

I have not been feeling well the past few days. I have a cold, but the symptoms seem to be pretty mild compared to usual, and I always feel pretty good in the morning, so I’ve still been going to work everyday, but in the evening I always have a nasty headache. Right now is probably the worst it’s been.

Because I haven’t been feeling well, I have been off my diet, so I’ve been drinking a lot of black tea with my usual milk and sugar/honey/agave. I’ve been trying to get to all my samples from my recent swaps (about 8 of them last month). This was sent to me by kittylovestea! I was waiting to try this til I was off my diet because I didn’t have much to play with and wanted to try it with the good stuff in it, not with sweetener.

I wasn’t thrilled by it. It was a tasty tea, but not anything special. I used the whole sample I had for this one cup so I can’t retry it. If I saw this in Canada for a decent price I would probably buy it to give it another try.

This one came in the surprise package from Dexter3657.

The flavours and base are great together, which comes as no surprise, with any French tea. They do know their tea mixes. The overall taste is reminiscent of another tea I’ve had, but I can’t remember which one. I do prefer the fruit flavours here to the “red fruits” I see in so many French teas, and this is a tasty cup, but I don’t think this one needs to be in my cupboard.

Thanks Dexter!

I’ve begun my Butiki cart now, though I have to wait for Hello Sweetie and the new Lemon tea to be back in stock, hopefully this week. I need to get some sipdowns done stat because I have two other small orders on the way now too.

Kat_Maria

Are they seriously supposed to be back in stock this week? Maaaan, I really hope it’s after I get my paycheck Thursday night :D :D

Courtney

I checked this morning and the website said April 8th :) I’m hoping, although if it was later it would be much better for my wallet. :P

Courtney

I just checked again and the Lemon French is available now. Maybe I was mistaken this morning and it was available all along. Hello Sweetie currently says April 8th.

Kat_Maria

Oh-oh! Thanks for the heads-up! Although I swear I don’t need more tea…

Saturday Sample Sipdown #2!

Today’s a day to get things done – the sun is shining, the laundry’s in the wash, there’s a fresh breeze blowing, and my mother is baking bread for Easter. What better tea to drink and take a pause to reflect on things amidst all the hubbub?

This tea smells like strawberry jam. There’s no better way to put it. Unfortunately, the strawberry taste recedes a bit when the tea cools. However, I can taste it slightly on the back of my tongue after I sip. Ahh. I’ve learned that shorter steep times work much better for French blends – hopefully I can apply the lesson to my Nina’s teas.

Many thanks to Indigobloom for giving me a sample of this to try!

Boiling 2 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML
gmathis

Sounds so pleasant! I washed all the throw rugs today and it was such a good feeling to hang them out on the line. You win, though, with the fresh bread; I just sent hubby to Food 4 Less for sweet rolls :)

Christina

Hehe, it’s my mother who bakes it, not me. I really should learn the recipe though. It’s an egg bread rolled up into several layers, and crumbled feta cheese is sprinkled around between each layer. The whole thing is then baked and topped with a sprinkling of sesame and poppy seeds.

gmathis

Yum! Weather looks pretty promising today, too…your review is teasing me to try Marco Polo iced this afternoon.

I bought this tea on my mini-moon in NYC and the matching Sablés au Thé on the actual honeymoon à Paris. I’ve been meaning to sit down and enjoy these two together for a while now. I finally decided enough is enough; no more waiting! Today is the day to try them.

The tea is strawberry, rhubarb, vanilla, cream, and flowers. The tea biscuits are butter, vanilla, and that something extra special from the Marco Polo tea infusion. They taste a lot like Scottish shortbread, except better! Way better. Much more flavorful. Leave it to the French to make delicious tea and cookies.

Why did I wait so long to enjoy you, oh glorious tea? This is exactly what I needed after an extremely stressful day. Sometimes I wonder why I’m alive. At least I have tea. Perhaps I can find refuge in several more cups.

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
keychange

I’m sorry the day was so rough and led you to wonder why you’re here. For what it’s worth, I enjoy reading your reviews and am glad that your tea helped ground you today.

TeaBrat

sometimes tea is the thing keeping me sane as well…. :)

I just ate a bunch of leftover melted dark chocolate from making macaroons, so at first this tasted sour. The dominant aroma in this was definitely strawberry, but I also thought I might smell: cherry, apple, vanilla, chocolate, floral, and cranberry. This is a complex tea and it’s really difficult to pick out what flavorings they use, especially since they keep it a secret. I enjoyed trying this famous tea.

Macaroon! That’s one thing I’ve never dared try to make lol

Terri HarpLady

I’m sure the tea is tasty, but I’m talking about the macaroons, of course!

TeaBrat

Oooh, you decided to make some vegan ones? How did they turn out?

CharlotteZero

I made American "macaroons"…The ones with coconut, which were very easy to make. This was my first attempt, and they came out a little too moist and a little too sweet, but overall they were very good. Next time I think I can perfect the recipe. :-)

CHAroma

Macaroons are surprisingly difficult to make.

CharlotteZero

You probably have higher standards than I do, CHAroma…! I made a vegan version, more or less this recipe: http://www.veganbaking.net/recipes/cookies/coconut-macaroons

Nicole

I just made “macaroons” yesterday. Topped with chocolate mousse and dipped in dark chocolate ganache… so I completely get the eating of leftover melted dark chocolate… :)

CharlotteZero

Wow. That sounds much more delicious/involved than what I made…

Nicole is a rockstar in the baking/tea party sort of thing..