Flowers, Caramel, Vanilla, Berries, Jam
Bulk, Loose Leaf, Sachet
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Sivasubramanian

2 Images

• “Yesterday's sprinkles gave way to real rain. You can just feel the tired old earth around me go "ahhhhhh." I woke up craving this. I must have needed an "ahhhh" too. This is lovely and fruity...” Read full tasting note
    gmathis 1693 tasting notes
  • “SIPDOWN! I loved this when I first got it, but I did find it to be finicky - finicky, but worth it. As long as I keep the temp around 203F and the time around three minutes this is great. Hubby...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1798 tasting notes
  • “It's been forever since I've had this tea. But not because I don't love it. It's actually the opposite - I adore this tea so much that I haven't been able to force myself to open the new tin of...” Read full tasting note
    aug3zimm 911 tasting notes
  • “Sipdown! Had a small cup of this before tucking the rest ofth is away For cavocorax :) while I enjoy this one, it's not my favourite of the MF teas that I've had the pleasure of trying.” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4729 tasting notes

From Mariage Frères

Mariage Frères’ most famous secret is this mysterious blend that takes you to distant lands and strange countries. The aroma of Chinese and Tibetan flowers and fruit lend it a uniquely velvety taste. Its extraordinary bouquet makes Marco Polo the most legendary of flavoured teas.

Succès incontesté de la Maison Mariage Frères, ce mélange secret vous fera voyager dans les plus lointaines et mystérieuses contrées. Les senteurs de fleurs et de fruits de Chine et du Tibet lui confèrent un arôme velouté unique. Un bouquet extraordinaire pour le plus mythique des thés parfumés.

About Mariage Frères View company

Okay okay, so I finally see what all the fuss is about. And now that I have tried it, I am torn.

First, this is an awesome tea. It is essentially the closest thing to my all-time favorite black tea (TWG 1837 Signature black) I have ever had. It has all the rich and dark wild European berries you’d find from blackberries in Germany’s Bavarian woodlands to the prized bilberries people hunt for in Lithuania’s peat-covered pine forests where they filmed “Robin Hood Prince of Thieves”. It successfully muddles them with fresh black Vietnamese sugarcane you’d buy at a roadside vendor on the way from Hanoi to Mai Chau. It’s got that unique hint of wild and rare flowers in the background. The black tea adds that subtle but perfect touch of tannins, as if you brewed your cuppa in some monastery’s old wood barrel they once used to age berry wines for decades. It’s fragrant, it’s fruity, it’s rich, it would have earned a perfect score of 100 and made it to my all-time top list, were it not for the fact I was already spoiled and had tried something a little bit better.

Marco Polo’s berries are ripe, dark, and sweet, but they’re missing that handful of indulgent over-ripe berries, the kind that fall apart with the slightest agitation and dye your hands deep blue and purple hues. It’s also missing that hint of hot caramel your mom would make on the stove with fresh cream and butter from the farmer next door. And this is why I am torn. TWG’s 1837 seems like a copy of Marco Polo (don’t let the 1837 fool you as those guys only started in 2008), but it’s not some cheap Asian knockoff. They actually managed to improve the already decadent flavors and even enrich them.

So, I love this stuff but it doesn’t dethrone my current favorite (scented/flavored) black tea. Bonus points, however, as this is much more readily available and cheaper, and I can have MF ship it direct to my house. Downside of 1837 is that I’ve tried the bags from Dean & DeLuca and they don’t do any justice to the stuff you buy at their salons in Asia.

I can’t wait to try them side by side, that should happen in about 6-7 weeks once I restock the 1837. But for now, I am sooooo happy to have over a pound of this in my cabinet, I will be drinking it daily for sure. I’m liking Mariage Freres more and more with every new tea I try from them – and while I haven’t moved on to their “purist” (read: not scented/blended/flavored) teas, it’s something I will definitely have to consider next time I order or drop in on them.

Flavors: Berries, Flowers, Jam

I don’t typically like flavoured black teas (other than Earl Grey and bergamot-based teas), and Marco Polo is a rare exception. It’s flavourful without being overwhelming, making it easy to drink, and perfect for a cold morning.

Delicate and delicious, full of flavor!

A delicious tea with or without milk, especially comforting on a rainy day.

Very good, but not as good as French Breakfast imo.

As everybody recommended, it worth enough to taste. But in a way, i think that its strong smell has been one of main reasons of its high reputation. but for me, when i smell it closely, i often feel it’s too ‘much’ or ‘sour’.. i think the opinions on fruity teas really defends on personal tastes. i recommend you to visit the shop and smell it with your own nose!

I’m not a big flavoured tea fan. I find the flavouring in this tea is too intense. I bought a tin online and now I add a little bit of it to unflavoured black tea. It smells wonderful though! The Buddha Bleu, on the other hand, is my favourite.

My absolute favorite tea.

I bought this tea when visited Paris. I liked those cotton sachets that held the tea. The tea is pleasantly fruity with an elegant twist. Good guality tea! Would recommend:)

The descriptions on the Mariage Freres website are almost too mysterious to make any sense of what they taste like. I bought this because it is one of their most popular teas – and to me it tastes like strawberries and cream. It is quite delicious and one of the Mariage Freres books has a recipe for cooking duck in MarcoPolo tea – which I tried and can also recommend – I also made my own tea jelly using this tea – although you can buy the tea jelly from them online. This aroma from this tea in the cup is beautiful – reminiscent of summertime. Lovely.