Fruity, Malt, Raspberry, Strawberry, Vanilla, Flowers, Caramel, Berries, Jam
Bulk, Loose Leaf, Sachet
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Sivasubramanian

2 Images

• “Yesterday's sprinkles gave way to real rain. You can just feel the tired old earth around me go "ahhhhhh." I woke up craving this. I must have needed an "ahhhh" too. This is lovely and fruity...” Read full tasting note
    gmathis 1768 tasting notes
  • “SIPDOWN! I loved this when I first got it, but I did find it to be finicky - finicky, but worth it. As long as I keep the temp around 203F and the time around three minutes this is great. Hubby...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1876 tasting notes
  • “It's been forever since I've had this tea. But not because I don't love it. It's actually the opposite - I adore this tea so much that I haven't been able to force myself to open the new tin of...” Read full tasting note
    aug3zimm 911 tasting notes
  • “Sipdown! Had a small cup of this before tucking the rest ofth is away For cavocorax :) while I enjoy this one, it's not my favourite of the MF teas that I've had the pleasure of trying.” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 5374 tasting notes

From Mariage Frères

Mariage Frères’ most famous secret is this mysterious blend that takes you to distant lands and strange countries. The aroma of Chinese and Tibetan flowers and fruit lend it a uniquely velvety taste. Its extraordinary bouquet makes Marco Polo the most legendary of flavoured teas.

Succès incontesté de la Maison Mariage Frères, ce mélange secret vous fera voyager dans les plus lointaines et mystérieuses contrées. Les senteurs de fleurs et de fruits de Chine et du Tibet lui confèrent un arôme velouté unique. Un bouquet extraordinaire pour le plus mythique des thés parfumés.

About Mariage Frères View company

This is my first Traveling Tea Box tea! And it’s very nice. The floral and fruitiness remind me of the TWG 380 tea I have, except not as overwhelming (a good thing). It’s slightly tart, and goes great with a sweet dessert. It’s perfect with French macarons—those sugary things that look like miniature hamburgers colored in food dye. This isn’t a tea I’d drink every day, but it’s phenomenal if you can find the right moment for it.

teaplz

Love macarons! I could see this going really well with those. Bouchon Bakery in Columbus Circle makes really good ones. :)

Ricky

So that’s where the marco polo went =P

Glad you enjoyed it!

The lovely, wonderful QuiltGuppy included this in a package she sent, and it is delicious! First of all, I adore the tin. I’m shallow like that. But the taste…mmm. I definitely need to revisit the black teas in my cupboard. This one is nice and dark with a lighter fruit flavor that just puts it over the top for me. As long as I keep my eye on the brew time, it doesn’t get bitter, and it’s just smooth and delicious.

KeenTeaThyme

QG got me hooked on this one too! :)

aisling of tea

She’s a tea pusher, that one! XD

Uniquity

I’m so glad I haven’t tried it yet! ; )

KeenTeaThyme

She is!! lol :)

QuiltGuppy

:) What can I say?

If you were to ask me which type of teas do I like most, I’d probably say green tea, but lately I’ve been expanding my choices and black tea is definitely gaining on green tea. And with the help of Marco Polo, the race is drawing closer than ever. Amazing flavour!!

Ysaurella

Hi Syrin,
did you try as well the green Marco Polo Blend and if so which one do you prefer ? I am still hesitating between these 2 blends

cteresa

Marco Polo is pretty seductive. It will gain on you. Sadly, considering the price.

Have you tried Yumchaa´s Notting Hill yet? I think that might be very much your cup of tea as well. And oh Mariage Freres (sadly. considering the price)´s Pleine Lune as well, maybe.

syrin

@Ysaurella:
Nope, not yet. But I’ll definitely look for it.

@Cteresa
Yup, I have Notting Hill – birthday gift, remember? :D
Pleine Lune will have to go on my “must taste” list then…

Ysaurella

Syrin…Pleine Lune is just wonderful ! I drink it every week end when I have the chance to spend a little time to appreciate it.

cteresa

I remember the birthday list but had forgotten the specifics of it! LOL

Marco Polo, aka The Gateway Tea.

Before I knew Ceylon from Snapple, I tasted Marco Polo …and a life-long romance with tea was born. Scented teas don’t have the power over me that they once did, but I still get weak-kneed and watery-mouthed at the smell of Marco Polo.

A powerful tool for converting the nonbelievers.

Dylan Oxford

Not that I need an excuse to buy more tea… is there somewhere stateside to buy this that’s decent, or do you have it shipped from France?

TeaBrat

I saw it in a Williams Sonoma store, Dean and Deluca also carries it I believe

ChaMei

Just bought my first tin of MF Marco Polo from Williams-Sonoma in San Jose CA. Next time I try this with milk, I’ll ice it and add tapioca balls, a la Taiwanese style.

Thank you Sil for this sample.

This tea smells delicious. It smells like a strong black tea but there is a berry smell to it, red berry, maybe strawberry. The smell is a mystery.

The taste of the tea can be descibed as nothing other than delicious. Ther e is the subtle black base, but there is also a strong berry taste. I would say a mix of strawberry, blueberry and sweet cherry flavours.

Thank you Sil for giving me the opportunity to try this tea. I think it is just going to have to go on the shopping list.

O nice! Glad you enjoyed it. :)

Thank you Bonnie for this sample.
This is my first Mariage Freres tea that I have tried.
I see that this tea has been well reviewed here.
I made a hot batch, and enjoyed it.
The flavor was nice, not much caffeine for me.
I’ll have to read all the reviews here another time.
Did alot of paperwork cleaning out a closet today, uncluttering.
I’ll see if there is enough to make a pot for tomorrow as well.

Well first off I have to thank cteresa for sending me this tea in the hoppitea exchange. This tea is delicious…it smells of strawberries when you first open it up and a hint of creaminess. After the brew I was not sure I loved the smell… it was almost to sweet but I figured I had to try it. The tea was pretty amber color a bit lighter than I thought it would be for a black tea.

I took the suggestions on here about a bit of sweeter and cream and wow what a wonderful sip. It really tastes like strawberry shortcake! The end taste is a hint of tartness and juiciness this is just divine. I can really see myself drinking this a lot at home! Thanks so much cteresa!

cteresa

so glad you liked it! It is a really compex flavour IMO -strawberries yeah, for sure, but just do not know what else they put on it!

I bought a small ammount to test at home. And I do like it better if I brew it myself, on my small teapot and just so. Better.

This tea smells incredible in every stage. The tea leaves with a thousand fruity smell, then after brewed, like strawberry jam and green apples and maybe caramel. First taste is for me strawberry with green Granny Smith apples coming later at the back of the mouth. Nobody else seems to have tasted apples, never mind green apples, so my brain might be just wrongly assigning a particularsmell to a very complex blend of flavours.

Must retest, less brewing time I think and maybe try milk. Lovely indeed, though it did not knock my socks off as much as expected.

Thanks to QuiltGuppy for sharing from her stash. This is a new favorite! It’s floral and fruity at the same time, quite a feat. It’s light and refreshing, yet bold and strong at the same time too. Delish!

As I was perusing the TTB 1.2 this afternoon, threewhales very generously gave me a bit of this tea to sample. I almost wish she hadn’t because now I HAVE TO GET THIS TEA. Seriously, this tea should be illegal. I believe that Marco Polo has earned a rating of 100 for my category of Dessert Teas.

This tea is like creamy, rich strawberry shortcake. Absolutely Perfect.