French Breakfast Tea

Astringent, Dark Chocolate, Smoke, Vanilla, Caramel, Chocolate, Malt, Tannin, Tobacco
Edit tea info Last updated by CHAroma

From Mariage Frères

This perfect marriage of great and elegant black teas produces a rounded taste of malt and chocolate.

Its highly developed flavour is both powerful and refined. A felicitous blend in the best tradition of the French art of Tea.

With or without milk, perfect with a continental breakfast.

Amount of tea leaves: 2.5g
Best water temperature: 95 °C
Infusion time: 3-5 min

About Mariage Frères View company

I have been drinking a ton of tea lately, but haven’t posted any notes! Classes started so I’m usually brewing two thermoses worth of tea to get me through the day and drinking them while I’m out. I do sometimes find it hard to get through a whole thermos of one tea when I’m used to switching it up every cup if I get the urge. I found out today that if I can add one more class to my schedule this semester, then I only need an art history class to fulfill the requirements for my degree! It’s so close I can taste it! Unlike this tea at the moment. :/

I have had a bunch of chest congestion lately that seems to be migrating to my sinuses which makes tea drinking a sad and frustrating event. I can taste a little malt, but that is about it.

‘Elegant’ is my best descriptor for this tea. It isn’t hearty like Irish breakfast tea: to me it’s more of an afternoon tea, to be lingered over. I have been drinking it for a couple of years and still not figured out what the subtle tastes are — perhaps it’s malt, as the blurb says. It doesn’t need to “go with” any kind of food. It’s interesting all by itself.

This is my perfect tea. So many tasters on here are able to say such wonderful, insightful, things about the nuances of unflavoured tea and they always drink their tea straight. I “pollute” my black teas with milk and sugar/honey on a regular basis and I’ve just had to live with my shame. This tea however, rescued me. I can drink it straight. I can actually enjoy it sans milk or sugar. I like it better with both but I like it without as well. It’s not too bitter. I have to stop it at four minutes,45 seconds on the dot or it becomes bitter but at that precise time it is smooth and delicious.

I was so intrigued by this tea that I almost bought it instead of Marco Polo at Gumps. I ended up buying both.I have this thing for breakfast teas, I don’t know quite why, but I wanted to try this blend labeled “French Breakfast”.

So I crack the tin open, and take a whiff: definitely some Darjeeling was mixed, that or Nepalese. The quality was good, black leaves, with contrast, and scattered dark greyish greens. Because of the fact that it had some Darjeeling/Nepalese in it, I cut fifteen seconds off my brew to cushion. (I dislike brewing with seconds). I did this in my 24 ounce white teapot. It gave me a nice amber rose cup, with the taste familiarity of muscatel and the mix of earth and grass, nutty; the definite characteristics of a Darjeeling/Nepalese. I wouldn’t say it’s completely full bodied, but it’s take was smooth, and it’s finish was astringent. Elegant throughout.

The second cup I added light agave nectar which eliminated the sharp finish. The third cup I added agave nectar and 2% fat milk (I really wish I had WHOLE milk on hand). I think the body is lost, and my sweetener took over, something that happens if you ever try having additives to Darjeeling/Nepalese teas. Because of that this tea is not as versatile as some other breakfast blends.

I wasn’t disappointed with this tea. I’d recommend it to black tea skeptics, this or FF Puttabong Darjeeling. This tea was very enjoyable, and I was glad I purchased it from Gumps. There sure are better blacks out there than this though, and because it’s price for questionable quality leaves, its lack in versatility, and it’s production, Zhi Tea’s Classic English Breakfast still reigns supreme for my morning cup.

I feel like this blend has declined over the past few years, as it used to have a more robust flavor and flowery notes. The most recent tin I purchased had more cocoa hints and felt like a different quality of tea entirely, from the batch I had bought 3 years or so before. It is still a decent tea, but I must say, it didn’t really hold up to the first batch I purchased.

This morning I start a new life phase and it seems only right that I go along with this new friend of a tea. I was in Paris for ten days in May, a long-awaited birthday trip, and on the day of we celebrated with brunch at the Mariages Freres in le Marais. Brunch came with a full-sized pot of tea for each person, which should be the standard, in my opinion. I chose French Breakfast on a whim although I virtually never drink breakfast blends (gourmand all the way for me), and when I poured the first cup from the round silver teapot I didn’t regret it.

The taste is rich and full, a welcome into the morning. I’ve always associated breakfast blends with harshness, a wake-up full of tannins to brace you for the day ahead – but this is indeed breakfast in France, a gentle cup that feels like the last warm moment wrapped in your bedcovers before you rise for a day you’ve been looking forward to. Allow me my sentiment; I’m only freshly back in Los Angeles and looking to a day of drudgery applying to temp agencies and likely-looking jobs. The skies outside are a dreadful pessimistic grey but at least for the moment I have my French Breakfast.

wooohoooo!!! love this one too :)

Continuing my tour of European black teas and this morning I chose MF’s French Breakfast. Another tea about which I’ve been quite curious but unfortunately I think I may have over-steeped or over-leafed (3.5 g in 9.5 oz for 3m 45s) and there is a little too much astringency for me detect the richness of flavors described by others. Grateful to have the chance to enjoy this gift sample and I’ll try to improve upon the cup a few days from now.

A delicious breakfast tea with some wonderful chocolate-y notes. I’ve been finishing some things off lately, which is good. However this is gone but not forgotten. It is definitely going in my re-purchase list as it’s one of my favorite breakfast teas. Very malty and chocolate-y, and perfect with a bit of soymilk.

this one and american breakfast are my favs i think. I picked up paris breakfast this last trip to see what it’s all about

I have never thought of it having chocolate notes before! I’ll have to pay more attention next time I have a cup.

Great MF/French tea. A blend with rich notes. Chocolate/Caramel.

Birthday gift from my sister in law who actually read my Christmas wish-list this year and looked up who Mariage Freres was. Delicious vanilla and bitter (in a good way) almond flavor. Silky followed by a kick of tannin. Crazy enough, I think I will use less tea on the next steep to pull out the lighter flavors and maybe not end up with such a dry tongue. :)

Flavors: Astringent, Dark Chocolate, Smoke, Vanilla