Rouge d'Automne

Black Fruit Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by Ysaurella

• “SIPDOWN! And i have to say, i added a bit of extra leaf to this one today and man there are the chestnuts! totally nutty delicious in my travel mug today while i got busy at work. I am really...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4026 tasting notes
  • “I love tea. I love tea tea-y tea tea Here it goes down Down into my belly Mmm mm mmmm. I added an extra half teaspoon and dropped the steep time today and it's all candied chestnuts and sweet...” Read full tasting note
    moraiwe 596 tasting notes
  • “This is another tea sample from Ysaurella! Thank you! I initially thought I would add some stevia to this cup, but when I smelled the tea, which smells rich & sweet, I decided to leave off with...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 2483 tasting notes
  • “This is an interesting tea in terms of flavour and experience. Chocolate, maple, nut, vanilla, dry, sweet, indulgent. It's like one of those expensive truffles that you only eat on special...” Read full tasting note
    KittyLovesTea 982 tasting notes

From Mariage Frères

Autumn, which turns maple leaves fiery red, is a good time to indulge in a delicious treat that erases the bitterness of rainy days. That is why Mariage Frères has employed an almost forbidden fruit – marrons glacés, a famous French indulgence ever since the days of Louis XIV – to create its new “Autumnal” tea.

A black tea, has been combined with the flavour of fine candied chestnuts and Bourbon vanilla, yielding a most striking yet smooth cup, warm and festive, with fruity and slightly spicy harmonies that precede a final note of honey and dried fruit.

PREPARATION ADVICE FOR 1 CUP :
Amount of tea leaves: 2.5g
Best water temperature: 95 °C
Infusion time: 3-5 min

About Mariage Frères View company

I’ve never had a tea with chestnuts before, so this one intrigued me in a swap with KittyLovesTea.

I can only guess the chestnuts are the main flavour here, and the vanilla lightens it up a bit. However, I’m getting something that’s coming through as floral that ins’t working out so well for me.

Thanks for sharing KittyLovesTea!

I already had one pot of this tea, kindly sent by Ysaurella. It was one of those days when other issues derailed my concentration from the experience.
Today, as part of my grand mission to empty all received samples, I decided to try it again.
When looking at the tea, it looked more like a normal MF blend, than to the picture used. Sure there are some small yellow and brown pieces, but in less quantity and with much smaller sizes than on the picture. It does not matter so much, MF usually does not care much about the look of the tea, just the taste, so I cannot hold that against this tea.
After brewing, my first impressions were quite similar to what I remembered: a mellow, strongly blended with no flavors really striking me out, though it indeed is flavorsome. A very pleasant blend, especially for the afternoon.
Then I got busy and forgot the remaining half of the teapot. When I came back to it, it was more cool than lukewarm, which does not bother me much, as I definitely do not need warming. Vanilla is there at the beginning of the sip, a nice very natural tasting vanilla. Then there’s a long lasting after taste staying all over my mouth and lips, that indeed is marron glacé: super creamy, sweet, really decadent tasting. My lips especially feel like I’ve just eaten some. Amazing!
Real marron glacé are not a favorite treat of mine and I usually cannot eat one entire. However it turns out that as a beverage flavor, I really like it and it makes for an unusual brew.
In my opinion, this is better at “room temperature” than hot.
I’ll most probably buy some, both for myself and for my in-laws who are completely in love with real marrons glacés.

LaFleurBleue

There should be some spices in there. I do not get them, all the better as I usually do not appreciate chai like flavors.

Ysaurella

very happy you like it. I love it even if I’m not a big fan of Marrons glacés neither.

Backlog from Sunday.

I like this one — it’s another perfect autumn tea. Nothing suggests the colder months to me better than the scent of roasted chestnuts, so it’s really evocative and oh so comforting. I gave this nearly 5 minutes in boiling water, and added a splash of milk.

To taste, the chestnut flavour isn’t strong or overpowering, it’s just delicately there in the background. It’s nutty and slightly toasty, and quite rich tasting. The vanilla is more prominent, and adds a delectable smooth creaminess, especially in combination with the milk.

I’d have liked the chestnut to be a little stronger, but it’s very pleasant as is. It’s creamy, sweet, and nutty, with the slight maltiness of the black tea complementing the flavours beautifully. I’m glad I had the chance to try this one — thanks to Queen of Tarts for sharing it with me!

First of all, this is primarily a black tea. Not a rooibos.
Secondly, well, that was good! I’m not usually a black tea person, I don’t like them, I don’t buy them… I can’t appreciate them for ‘’what they are’’. Failed romance much?

Candied marrons, with a spicy aftertaste, making it automnal, changed my mind. It’s very round, but tolerable. Reminds me of David’s Pumpkin Chai, which is also my sort of thing. Someday I will understand…

ce the est tres bon quand on le goute on a l impressions d etre en automne c’ est a dire qu’ il porte bien son nom .

The rooibos version of this is one of my favourite reds, so I had to try the black. It has very little to do with the familiar one in my cupboard, though.

Scent wise, the dry tea has a thick, buttery richness to it that I recognized so well but couldn’t quite place. And then it struck me. Rice porridge. In Sweden we make a difference between rice porridge (runnier) and rice pudding (baked in the oven, more of a cake-like texture) and the former is mainly served as a traditional Christmas dish, warm, with milk, and with cinnamon and sugar sprinkled on top.

It can be a bit of a hassle to make the actual porridge, as it easily burns (the rice is cooked in milk) – my mom has a sneaky trick, though; she takes it off the heat after it comes to a boil, and then wraps the whole thing in blankets to keep it warm until it’s time for Christmas dessert. It usually rests for five or six hours, which allows the rice to slowly cook and swell. Unwrapped, the porridge has the perfect texture and temperature, and it’s seriously the best trick ever.

And this is exactly what it smells like, on Christmas Eve, when that lid is removed.

I’m pretty sure the rice porridge effect is what’s supposed to pass for marrons glacés, but I haven’t had those since I was very small, so the rice layer is simply much further up in my memory stack.

The tea base is very pleasant, classic Mariage Frères, and I know this is one that would have appealed to me immensely if there hadn’t been such an outlandish scent/flavour parallel. As it is, I don’t really know how to feel about the whole thing. Every other sip is, ‘I like it..’, and every other, ‘…but it’s weird.

Thanks for adding this and messing with my head, cteresa!

[Sample from the second round of the EU Travelling Box, spring 2014.]

Ysaurella

the vanilla is very very present as well in this blend, did you get it as well ?

Anna

No, not at all – I was completely confused by the mentions of vanilla in the tasting notes when I read them.

I think it might be because there’s no vanilla in rice porridge, and hence, logically, this couldn’t taste like vanilla, according to my brain.

I would have liked to get the vanilla, though. I would.

Ysaurella

too bad, to me this really a pure candied chestnut ad vanilla tea. If you have enough, maybe try a second time with 90°c and 4 or 5 minutes.

Angrboda

_ she takes it off the heat after it comes to a boil, and then wraps the whole thing in blankets to keep it warm until it’s time for Christmas dessert_

It’s the only proper way! It’s not Christmas if there hasn’t been a large pot tucked into the footend of the bed. ‘Hay box’ we call it, although most people don’t actually have access to a box full of hay these days.(We serve it in Denmark as ris ala mande though. Add vanilla, sugar, whipped cream and plenty of chopped almonds and most importantly one whole almond.)

Anna

Ysaurella – I might, but at the same time I’d like for more people in the swap group to be able to try it. We’ll see!

Haha, I’m glad you understand, Ang.

In Sweden a lot of people do ‘Ris à la Malta’ – vanilla, sugar, whipped cream and tinned mandarin oranges. I just read on Wikipedia that the ‘à la Malta’ is an alleged bastardization of the ‘alamande’, which in its turn obviously comes from ‘à l’amande’. Learnings.

Nattie

Ooooooh this sounds so good! Chestnut is one of my absolute favourite flavours in tea, fingers crossed there’s some left when I get the box! (:

(But if you want it, go ahead)

ce thé je l’ai pas sepuis longtemps , mais je vais vous avouer que je ne l’aime pas vraiment donc ce sera moyens je trouve qu’il est trés fort !!!!