Rouge Provence

Rooibos Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by cteresa

• “I had Em and M (I did not do that on purpose) over for dinner and we had a pot of this because Em was all _'no caffeine because sleep no caf no caf hyper'_. And M, who stayed in my apartment...” Read full tasting note
    annapocalyptic 300 tasting notes
  • “This is a tea I did not expect to bring home with me. I am always on the hunt for good rooibos, particularly in Winter. I am rooibos-picky, I like rooibos strong and seem to crave a nightly cup in...” Read full tasting note
    cteresa 329 tasting notes

From Mariage Frères

Right from its launch, this heady, fragrant interpretation of sunny Provence was a hit. Now Mariage Frères offers a theine-free, rooibos version of its famous blend.

The aroma of red and black berries is wed to the sweet, mild flavour of the tea leaves, underscored by wild lavender and enlivened by rose petals.

About Mariage Frères View company

I had Em and M (I did not do that on purpose) over for dinner and we had a pot of this because Em was all ‘no caffeine because sleep no caf no caf hyper’.

Oh, and Veronica Mars! And that kid on the plane and all the other people, including that guy and all those other things, but I’m too tired for coherence, so I’m off to bed.

VariaTEA

Veronica Mars!

Anna

YES. I had TICKETS. I wore the SHIRT.

Amariel

“And M, who stayed in my apartment while I was away was all, ‘okay so I found your tea stash and are you aware you might possibly have a problem?’”

Ha!

This is a tea I did not expect to bring home with me. I am always on the hunt for good rooibos, particularly in Winter. I am rooibos-picky, I like rooibos strong and seem to crave a nightly cup in all these winter evenings.

I wanted a new Mariage Freres rooibos, but was expecting to want Rouge d´Automne (the rouge rouge d´automne if that makes sense). I was not too enthusiastic about Vert de Provence (the original take of which this is is a spin-off), and floral rooibos, did not seem appealing. Plus, lavender in tea just not my cup of tea (with some exceptions). But sniffing the samples, there was no competition – it smells as divine as Vert de Provence did, but with a punch from the rooibos probably.

And brewing it up, it lives up to its scent. The rooibos adds something to the floral and fruity exhuberance, it is just fabulous. Love it.

(btw is there just a tiny touch of juniper here?)

205 °F / 96 °C
TheTeaFairy

I’m not a fan of rooibos, but make it sound really appealing!

Dustin

So when you say you like rooibos strong, do you mean you want the rooibos flavors to come through strong or the added flavors to be strong? I’m in the second group personally. :)

cteresa

TeaFairy, I am always wary of recommending rooibos to non-rooibosistas. But indeed this one is pretty different from everything else – and Mariage Freres is very very good at picking good rooibos bases, which is IMO what kills nasty rooibos blends.

Dustin, I meant I like a lot of leaf for not so much water! I like strong flavourings (as long as the flavourings are nice), strong rooibos I only like when it is very very very nice rooibos (which is not so usual). Excellent rooibos I like very much on its own, not excellent rooibos meh.