Edit tea info Last updated by meliorate

From Mariage Frères

Traditional pear flavoured black tea.

About Mariage Frères View company

Bonjour tout le monde! I’m back from Paris with a few nice teas in tow :) Didn’t manage to find any THE O DORs or Dammann stockists anywhere as the hotel wifi was so bad, I couldn’t search anything (although I saw plenty of Kusumi Teas and Nature & Décourvertes with their lovely tea tin range), so I simply went to the Carrousel du Louvre MF, the one I go to most frequently.

I bought three loose-leaf teas: would have bought more but you can’t buy less than 100g on most of their teas, and any more would have gotten too costly. So this, pear-flavoured, is just an interesting addition. I’m running out of apple tea and I love pear!

The leaves smell like pear drop sweets! Really delicious, and the brew smells exactly the same way. Brewed for five minutes as recommended, the black base is as strong as expected, but some of the sweetness is retained- in a really lovely way, too. It’s sort of in the background, but working very well with the tea flavour, too, which seems to be a little smoky and just sweet enough to take the fruit notes.

Very nice- and I can’t wait to try all the others I’ve bought!

cteresa

Oh, how envious! Sounds like so much fun. And this sounds lovely – looking forward for your opinions on the other MF teas you got!

And Nature & Découvertes, I had to go check and I know those tins! I had been eyeing them at a shop for cosmetics and perfumes. A couple of those smell wonderfully tempting, though I have not tried any yet!

meliorate

@cteresa N&D is a wonderful shop, isn’t it? I’m so tempted by the pistachio and almond one (never seen pistachio in a tea before) and the tins themselves are just gorgeous, not to mention the tea accessories… Let’s hope they keep that range going until next Christmas :D

cteresa

The store I see those teas at is not called ND, it´s called Terre d´OC, this is their site http://www.terredoc.com/english/

but those are the same teas indeed! the teas smelled lovely and I love the retro-ishness of the tins. I did crave the uzbekistan tea (the almond and pistachio tea you mention) or the russian tea tins, though the teas whose smell I preferred I did not like the tins. Tne pains of being a tin-lover!

Ysaurella

hummm girls, N&D teas are not bad but really their tins are better than their teas…

cteresa

I was afraid of precisely that Ysaurella! I do not think I will buy it!

meliorate

Ahhh Ysaurella, thankfully you can tell us this before we give in to the beautiful tins! XD

I blame other people for the fact that i’m now obsessed with finding good pear teas. Sadly, it’s one of those flavours that is really hard to find, and is almost always blended with other teas. this particular tea is not only JUST pear…but it’s good. and not a green tea. haha I feel like the perfect pear tea IS likely a green tea but a black pear tea is better for me. Easier for me to drink and less hard to ruin…especially when created by a company like MF. not only does this smell like pear, but the after taste of pear lingers and makes me happy. Because it’s a black base though, it’s not as sweet as it feels like a pear tea should be…but I could certainly try adding a little sweetner in the future. overall a win!

cteresa

You don´t know if you know it, but Lupicia has a green tea with pear, pear and honey. It smelled interesting!

I’ve been trying to get my hands on that one for about a year now. every time i try to place an order with lupicia online, it’s sold out. So i’ll keep trying haha

cteresa

ah good luck! you know being sold out MIGHT be a good sign.

haha yes…but harder to get it lol

still wish that i’d realised there was a lupicia store in paris. Kicking myself over that one

cteresa

They did have it in stock! But it´s life – I was really planning to make it to Theodor but there was a problem in the metro line at the only convenient opportunity window, I was actually inside the carriage had to get out of the metro and find another plan to be able to keep to my schedule. Some other time.

I think the shop was not too big, there were some lupicia teas I had tried before that they did not carry – though difficult to compare because the tea names were translated into french (LOL I was look for Jardin Sauvage and Chaud les Marrons, wonder if they would have translated that into english!)