Thé des Signes - Dragon

Fruit Green Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by Ysaurella

• “I'm back on steepster ...with a Dragon tea. Mariage Frères does a special edition each year with a tea for the Chinese sign of the year. until February it is the Dragon sign...so I hurried to buy...” Read full tasting note
    Ysaurella 335 tasting notes
  • “I coveted this tin and the others of the same series, or just about almost all of Mariage Fréres special edition tins. I always resist due to prices and so far, when I have had a chance to try...” Read full tasting note
    cteresa 327 tasting notes

From Mariage Frères

MF No. TJ7DR
Green tea with goji berries.

An original gift for those born in the sign of the Dragon and a unique way to extend good tidings for the New Year.
Inside the handsome red tin whose form recalls the Temple of Heaven, Mariage Frères has bestowed a green tea blended among Tibetan goji berries. A superfruit from the Himalayas – rich in antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and amino acids – to which the Taoist quest for immortality has for centuries attributed exceptional medicinal values as well as the reputation of an extraordinary elixir of youth.
The lush cup is cool with a slightly tart sweetness, a silky texture, and a full-bodied, fruity finale that leaves you smiling as the Year of the Dragon takes off.

Lacquered tin canister, silk-screened by hand.

How to prepare this green flavoured tea :

Measure out 3 g of tea for 20 cl of pure, filtered water.

Bring the water to a simmer (about 85° C)and let the tea infuse for 4 minutes.

Enjoy!

About Mariage Frères View company

I’m back on steepster …with a Dragon tea.
until February it is the Dragon sign…so I hurried to buy it because it won’t be available after this date.
I wanted the tin…but the scent pleased me very much as well so I rushed after work Place de la Madeleine to buy it + 200 gr of Pleine Lune and 100 gr of Oolong Fleurs d’oranger. I am poorer now but happy with my teas.

The tea taste is not so promising as the scent. I think the green tea base should be similar to Sakura 2000. There is just a hint of slight astringency but very very very slight.

It is a fruity tea (goji berries), incredibly perfumed but not unforgettable.Anyway MF doesn’t sell it by weight to refill so that’s great, I have a beautiful tin to put another tea I love more.

I have no more brown crystal sugar (no way to find some here in my new town)…so I will give another try asap I find some in Paris.

Kasumi no Chajin

Ah, one more Chinese Zodiac thing for me to collect, as long as they consider returning the teas each cycle.

welcome back mon ami!

Azzrian

Nice to have you back!!! I still have a ton of tea from you to taste and review! I am working on reorganizing, sampling, etc,

I coveted this tin and the others of the same series, or just about almost all of Mariage Fréres special edition tins. I always resist due to prices and so far, when I have had a chance to try those teas I am glad I have resisted the impulse. This is nice, but not quite dazzling enough for that sort of prices (unless you think the tin worth it, and from what I have seen it just might be).

Ysaurella very kindly sent me a sample in a swap and rereading her taste notes I pretty much agree with everything. Wonderful fruity smell, rich juicy goji berries, a grassy slightly astringent green tea, a very refreshing tea. I think this would make a great iced tea! But somehow not quite a great blend for my taste.

And I can not help but wonder, are they going to make a tea called Rat when it cames time for it?

Kittenna

Ahahaha, you bring up a good point! Sure, a “dragon” tea sounds alluring, and everyone would want that. Rooster? I imagine that could garner some interest as well. But yes, rat…. and perhaps a few others… sound somewhat less-than-appealing!

Ysaurella

snake is this year sign and the name is serpent charmeur …et non pas charmeur de serpent :)
Rat is my sign !!! :( they may call the tea Rat des Villes and Rat des Champs for a dedicace to Jean de La Fontaine (however good marketing ! 2 series of teas to sell :) )

cteresa

Ok, city mouse and country mouse, that would be very cute!Maybe. Wonder what flavours they would use for a rat themed tea (tastes like chicken?) LOL.

Kittenna, Dragon and even Serpent, or Tiger (it is on the chinese zodiac), all chic, but not all indeed!

Ysaurella

I would say lapsang souchong would fit very well with the rat sign…for the dark side of the tea :)

LaFleurBleue

Pu-erh was my first thinking for the rat year.

cteresa

Oh, those are nice guesses, I was thinking hazelnut or something (not very chinese!).

Smoke would have been awesome for dragons though. Pu-ehr, trying to learn to like it (not much luck so far, but still got samples to try ;) )

charab

But then again Ox would need something with a decent rough edge…hmm. Maybe a very rough, smoky blend made of lapsang tarry, pu’erh and maybe even some slightly pungent Russian samovar tea.. or to throw people completely off the scent something with mellow grassy sencha.

sounds nice yes !