Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by jessicawlondon

From Mariage Frères

This time our explorer’s spirit has led us far from the beaten path, where we discovered an autumnal harvest, an unusual, unique tea grown on a new, southern continent.
Now, like Australia, New Zealand makes it entrance on our list of teas. Located in the district of Waikato (Maori for “flowing water”) known for its ecological diversity with its green hills, caves, forests and lakes—a small tea estate on North Island has devoted itself to producing 100% organic tea.
The dark green leaves have a pronounced aroma dominated by clover honey with notes of biscuit, a touch of vanilla, and a hint of camphor.
They yield a brilliant, silken cup, with rich shades of butter and vanilla brioche sustained by a grassy, floral bouquet (buttercups, poppies) and a light, refreshing hint of resin.

About Mariage Frères View company

Well, the first tea I’ve ever tried from New Zealand… And I wasn’t disappointed!

Dry leaves: sweet, typical oolong scent, with a hint of condensed milk

Taste / Mouth Feel: The sweetness of the vanilla really comes through; it reminds me of a milk oolong in some respects, like the relatively heavy, silky mouth feel. There is a ‘green-ness’ to it that the milk oolongs don’t have, though this doesn’t – to me! – taste as pronounced as the usual difference between a ‘standard’ and a milk oolong. This tea reminds me of a custard cream biscuit dunked in some oversteeped assam – biscuity, custardy sweetness with a tinge of bitterness.

Brewing Particulars: I used MF’s recommendation of 95 degrees for 5 minutes.

Subsequent brews: This tea carried itself for two brews, but by the third steeping, it was losing the sweet notes, and gaining a little bitterness.

A totally unique Oolong. There are other New Zealand Oolongs that are more floral and are higher up on teas I traditionally like. The toasty peanut notes in this one are great!