Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Ysaurella

• “At the moment, I'm drinking a sample from *Cteresa*, which she tells me might be Se Chung...The leaves look similar to the photograph on here, so I'm going to pop my note here for want of a better...” Read full tasting note
    Scheherazade 1037 tasting notes
  • “~From the queue~ This is an oolong which *Cteresa* shared with me AGES ago. I don't know anything at all about it because the description in the database is in French and nobody else has posted...” Read full tasting note
    Angrboda 1291 tasting notes

From Mariage Frères

« Little Leaf »

Similar to Ti Kuan Yin but gives a darker liquor and stronger taste.

An afternoon tea.

Thé de l’après-midi.

About Mariage Frères View company

At the moment, I’m drinking a sample from Cteresa, which she tells me might be Se Chung…The leaves look similar to the photograph on here, so I’m going to pop my note here for want of a better location!

I let the water cool to around 180, added 1tsp of leaf, and gave it 3 minutes. Fairly standard oolong treatment, for me. Unfortunately, it looks like this is one of the varieties of oolong I don’t get along with so well. It tastes a little like a hojicha green, roasty with a sort of background seaweed/saltiness. I generally prefer my oolongs sweeter and more buttery, definitely greener.

As roasted oolongs go, this is super smooth, with absolutely no bitterness or astringency. There’s a clarity to the flavours; no over-complexity or muddiness here. Sadly, it’s just not for me. It’s good to keep trying and challenging my tastebuds, though!

180 °F / 82 °C 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp

From the queue

This is an oolong which Cteresa shared with me AGES ago. I don’t know anything at all about it because the description in the database is in French and nobody else has posted about it yet. I only a smattering of French words but I can make a qualified guess that it says that this tea resembles Tie Guan Yin in some way, but I’m stumped for the rest of it. I know ‘avec’ = ‘with’, but that doesn’t really get me very far.

The aroma is quite cocoa-y and wood-y, so at least at this point it doesn’t particularly remind of TGY at all.

It tastes a rather fruity and a little bit cocoay and a little bit woody. But mostly surprisingly fruity. Even now when it’s at a sort of lukewarm stage, it’s very fruity. I’m not sure which fruit exactly, but probably a kind of stone fruit, because this is generally the sort of fruit I find myself leaning towards when I don’t know what kind of fruit I think I’m tasting.