Paris Ginza

Bitter, Caramel, Strawberry
Edit tea info Last updated by ashleyelizabeth

• “This tea came from *boychik* and, originally, *CharlotteZero*. Thanks, ladies! The leaves are of medium size and jet black, and I can see a couple of teeny pieces of dried strawberry mixed in. It...” Read full tasting note
    CameronB 827 tasting notes
  • “I was getting a lot of coconut in my first sips and was surprised to learn that I wasn't supposed to be tasting coconut! That has faded and now I am getting mostly strawberry and caramel, but I am...” Read full tasting note
    ashleyelizabeth 192 tasting notes
  • “*charlotteZero* was awesome enough to send this my way in a recent swap. Admittedly i had this a million hours ago but there's been a whole lot of work, dinner, talking to my parents and looking...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 5360 tasting notes
  • “This is my favorite tea from my recent Mariage Frères order. I had a busy weekend, so I wanted to start Monday off well. :-) I'm trying to plan a trip to Japan soon, and if it works out, I will...” Read full tasting note
    CharlotteZero 372 tasting notes

From Mariage Frères

Tea for an afternoon of haute couture!
In the heart of Tokyo, the Ginza district vibrates; ultra chic, this mecca of luxury criss-crossed by avenues leading to splendid promenades comes alive by its skyscrapers rich with imagination, its high fashion window displays and the throngs of shoppers curious for the latest and greatest. This is where MARIAGE FRÈRES created its flagship boutique, way before it was in style, where those obsessed with le French touch and the lovers of French Tea come to play.
This fusion inspired PARIS-GINZA, an elegant black tea offering the sweetness of a creamy caramel and the delightfully fresh aromas of red fruit.

About Mariage Frères View company

This tea came from boychik and, originally, CharlotteZero. Thanks, ladies! The leaves are of medium size and jet black, and I can see a couple of teeny pieces of dried strawberry mixed in. It has a delicious sweet caramel and tart red fruit smell, yum.

Mm, the steeped tea smells delicious as well! I can definitely pick out tart strawberry along with a light and sweet caramel scent. Hm, I’m not sure how old this one is, but it doesn’t have much flavor at all. I can taste a bit of strawberry and caramel in the aftertaste, but mostly it just tastes like a slightly bitter black tea. Withholding rating…

Flavors: Bitter, Caramel, Strawberry

boychik

yea, she sent it last spring…but i find most french teas smell delicious and taste is meh

I was getting a lot of coconut in my first sips and was surprised to learn that I wasn’t supposed to be tasting coconut! That has faded and now I am getting mostly strawberry and caramel, but I am not the biggest fan of that combination of flavours. This isn’t as good as most of the other MF teas I’ve been lucky enough to try thanks to CharlotteZero!

charlotteZero was awesome enough to send this my way in a recent swap. Admittedly i had this a million hours ago but there’s been a whole lot of work, dinner, talking to my parents and looking at an apartment that got in the way of me writing about it until now. What i recall was the deliciousness of this one in strawberry form. THIS is actually what i wish marco polo was, and isn’t for me. Better review to come in the future when i spend more time rolling around with this one.

thanks CZ!

I’m trying to plan a trip to Japan soon, and if it works out, I will definitely make the Mariage Frères in the Ginza district one of my stops. Heh, but I have no other ideas on where else I should try to go. Maybe the Steepster message boards have some good suggestions….

Excelsior

There’s the Fortnum and Mason tea salon in Nihonbashi Mitsukoshi. There is a Harrod’s tea shop in the same Mitsukoshi The TWG tea salon in Jiyugaoka. Lupicia in Ginza. Also, all the Department stores have food markets in their basement. There’s a wide variety of Japanese teas you can buy there. On weekends, they might have small paper cups of brewed green tea samples. All the hotels, Peninsula, Shangri La, Mandarin Oriental will have tea salons.

If you go to the Mariage Freres store/salon in Ginza, say hi to the store manager, Nozaki-san, for me.

CharlotteZero

Thanks for the advice!!! :-) Is TWG worth stopping at? They have a great reputation, but the only teas I’ve tried from them have been a couple of flavored ones from Dean & Deluca, and I was not impressed. I will say hello from “Excelsior”. Haha…

I’ve been erring on the side of caution re: temperature and steep time with my black teas lately, and that works really wonderfully with Paris Ginza! It has hints of strawberry, which I’m loving- it’s light and fruity, but with a robust body that doesn’t taste too strongly of caramel. One of the best teas I have- I’ll definitely be investing in more Mariage Freres when I get the chance!