La Route Du Temps

Green Tea
Ginger, Jasmine
Edit tea info Last updated by Dustin

• “I had a nasty run in with some shrimp scampi yesterday that kept me up all night and has left my stomach feeling queasy today. I thought some ginger tea might hit the spot and thankfully I’m...” Read full tasting note
    Dustin2Dust 628 tasting notes
  • “This is a tea which I had never paid attention to when seeing the descriptions of teas. Flowery green tea with candied (?) ginger, it never made its way to my enormous wish lists, not even the long...” Read full tasting note
    cteresa 348 tasting notes

From Mariage Frères

‘The Path of Time’ was created in memory of Richard Bueno to celebrate the 10th anniversary of Mariage Frères ’ left-bank boutique, which he founded.

A tea between two worlds, blending the flowery, honeyed taste of green teas from the Golden Triangle with the spicy note of pieces of ginger, which dot it like stones along a path.

Preparation tips
How to prepare this green flavoured tea :

Measure out 2.5 g of tea for 20 cl of pure, filtered water.

Bring the water to a simmer (about 95° C)
and let the tea infuse for 3 minutes.

Enjoy!

About Mariage Frères View company

I had a nasty run in with some shrimp scampi yesterday that kept me up all night and has left my stomach feeling queasy today. I thought some ginger tea might hit the spot and thankfully I’m getting along better with this tea than I have in the past. I added a little sugar and soy creamer which is rounding this out nicely. The ginger isn’t super strong and dominating, which I wouldn’t have minded especially right now, but it is in there. I’m guessing the cream mellowed it out. I can see enjoying this more when prepared this way when I’m not looking for a strong ginger bite, but I still don’t think this tea warrants the MF price tag.

This is a tea which I had never paid attention to when seeing the descriptions of teas. Flowery green tea with candied (?) ginger, it never made its way to my enormous wish lists, not even the long list of teas I wanted to smell. But both Paris airports got Mariage Freres shops, and when killing a lot of time, I managed to sniff my way through all the teas one of the shops had (apart from top most row and a couple expensive things they had on canister but not outside). It was an interesting experience, it struck me again how the special edition tin teas seem to almost all (exception to Mousse au Chocolat maybe, which I would buy if the tin was not so expensive and seeming so flimsy for the price as well) all seem so uninspiring compared to the regular range teas. And of all those teas I sampled, besides my old acquaintances I knew already, it was La Route du Temps which absolutely fascinated me . I decided no, that I had enough tea already and then kept thinking of it and then had to backtrack to get some (it was a LOT of time to kill). Also teas with ginger, a lot of ginger do have a place in my kitchen, I find ginger extremely soothing when I have a cold, though so far I have only had caffeine free tisanes.

And surprisingly this impulsive, indulgent buy really worked for me. The flowery note mentioned is jasmine, in my opinion just jasmine. The ginger is extremely strong, a sweet candied ginger which feels spicy piquant in the tongue and somehow it goes incredibly perfect with the tea underneath and the sweetness of the jasmine. This is an unexpected tea flavouring combination but which somehow works extremely well for my palate. The tea underneath is very smooth, very large leafed though with two such strong flavourings difficult to say much more, except it does stand up to the flavours without being overpowered by them. And the blend is just filled with dried ginger and jasmine flowers, be careful to up dosage a little bit to take that into account, and also to mix it well occasionally to make sure you are not overdosing on the flavouring which “floated” to the top.

I have brewed this a few times. Be careful with water temperature, too hot will make it bitter, and make the jasmine taste “cooked” and the ginger overpowers the jasmine. I am using relatively cool water for it, and prefer it like that, it seems to bring out the jasmine in a livelier way which just balances itself. It does seem quite forgiving of being forgotten for a few (many) extra minutes! And a warning I will repeat, because some will love this but not all – this is spicy, the ginger is sharp, and very much there!

A very unexpected addition to my tea stash, but this is one tea I am going to enjoy a lot. A very original tea, totally different from any other I ever had.

Flavors: Ginger, Jasmine

175 °F / 79 °C
Ysaurella

sounds like a great tea Teresa !

cteresa

Not sure other people would love it like I did, but it was a nice surprise indeed, a very original tea which works! And if you must wait in an aiport, a chance to smell a lot of MF teas is a silver lining.